Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zom Aur posted:

Cyanogenmod has that option built in. You can use an icon, plain text, circle, circle with text and dotted circle I think.
Nope, it's icon, number with vertical indicator, circle with percentage, circle without percentage, or no indicator at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I wanted to snag Zombie Driver THQ on the Play store but I don't have a tablet. There is no way for me to take advantage of this deal?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

flatluigi posted:

I just got a smartphone as a birthday present. Can anyone point me to a good list of apps everyone should have or just good recommendations? It came out of left field so I'm completely out of touch with what's out there.

Swiftkey 3 - a keyboard that predicts stuff as you type, works really well and is well worth the money
Awful Betamax - an app for reading SA, works well and is free
WhatsApp - is almost free and basically replaces sms, super easy to set up but you need your contacts to have it too
Llama - allows you to automate some stuff depending on where or when you are, like turn wifi off when you leave home or put your phone on silent during the night, also free

These apps I can see anyone getting use out of, regardless of what kind of user they are or what they're using their phone for.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Biggest human being Ever posted:

Swiftkey 3 - a keyboard that predicts stuff as you type, works really well and is well worth the money
Awful Betamax - an app for reading SA, works well and is free
WhatsApp - is almost free and basically replaces sms, super easy to set up but you need your contacts to have it too
Llama - allows you to automate some stuff depending on where or when you are, like turn wifi off when you leave home or put your phone on silent during the night, also free

These apps I can see anyone getting use out of, regardless of what kind of user they are or what they're using their phone for.

Click the little question mark under my avatar; I listed a couple dozen a while back in a post.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

LastInLine posted:

Nope, it's icon, number with vertical indicator, circle with percentage, circle without percentage, or no indicator at all.
Aha, I thought they added an option for a dotted circle two weeks ago or so. I'm probably thinking of another rom or something.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

b0nes posted:

I wanted to snag Zombie Driver THQ on the Play store but I don't have a tablet. There is no way for me to take advantage of this deal?

If you know someone with a tablet you can log into the market with their tablet & your credentials, or possibly if rooted, edit your build.prop to a tablet, buy it then change back.

MentosMan
Dec 4, 2005
I'm looking for an app that would allow me to SMS message from my phone's number, and but via my Nexus tablet. Does Google Voice do this, without forcing me to use the Google Voice app to send texts when on my phone?

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
Is there such an app that would let you stream your console games to your tablet like the psvita=>ps3 / wii u => controller?

edit: If anyone is looking for something that does this for pc games, Kainy works fairly well.

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

MentosMan posted:

I'm looking for an app that would allow me to SMS message from my phone's number, and but via my Nexus tablet. Does Google Voice do this, without forcing me to use the Google Voice app to send texts when on my phone?

I think it depends on which carrier you have. Sprint will let you integrate your existing number with GV, though I'm not sure how it works on other carriers because I'm on Sprint. I use it to text from my computer all the time and still receive messages via my messaging app, so it shouldn't be a problem if you use your tablet.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I got a set of NFC tags. What's the best app for setting up NFC tasks?

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Frozen-Solid posted:

I got a set of NFC tags. What's the best app for setting up NFC tasks?

NFC Task Launcher has done everything I ever wanted to do.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jwsoft.nfcactionlauncher

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

kinnas posted:

Is there a good looking magazine-like rss reader that doesn't mess around with the mark as read/unread bullshit? Feedly looks great and I was superhappy with it until I noticed that it starts removing poo poo you've read (or accidentally clicked on). I want (something pretty) that doesn't care about read/unread status at all. I know very well myself what I've read and what I haven't and what I've clicked open once but haven't really read. It's also annoying that all the readers I've checked seem to consider only the most recent 25 or so articles and have no way of going back through the archives.

Or is that like an rss system thing? Cause I've never really used it before, just now added some blogs to my google reader account to try and centralize my reading on my tablet so feel free to enlighten me if I'm doing something stupid with it.

Also a little venting just because: it irritates me to no end that all those rss/magazine things have suggested blogs and categories for stuff like photography, design, architecture etc but I haven't seen a single one to have "art".

(edit: Pulse has art! Vindicated! Still looking for a pretty rss reader to make Rock Paper Shotgun readable on my tablet.)

edit2: actually now that I'm loving around with Pulse I see I can remove all the original categories and use it as a straight up rss reader and it doesn't seem to hide previously read stuff, which is great. Still history doesn't go back very far and if there's an alternative that's more magazineish then I'd still like some recommendations if anybody knows of something like that

Not sure if it'll do exactly what you want, but what about something like ifttt.com to add your rss feeds to something like Pocket? It does offline syncing and doesn't mark something as read for you automatically. You could read stuff you want to and quickly dismiss things you don't, and there's no limit so if you add more than you can process, no big deal.

I add links from twitter to pocket to read, and love it.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.
Is there a drawing app like sketchbook, with layers and s-pen support that also has blending and blurring tools. I can't see why they left the blend tool out of the android version of sketchbook when it's on ios, but it doesn't look like they are going to do anything about it.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

I'm traveling for a year on a fellowship, and my parents met me in Barcelona, Spain, for Christmas and gave me a Nexus 7 for my big gift. It is awesome and I love it, but I'm having an aggravating issue: all of the books and movies on offer in Google Play are Spanish, and while I'm located in Spain for a week and a half longer, I can't read Spanish. Is there a way to make Google Play only offer media in English? I've Googled this and am stymied.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Pinball posted:

I'm traveling for a year on a fellowship, and my parents met me in Barcelona, Spain, for Christmas and gave me a Nexus 7 for my big gift. It is awesome and I love it, but I'm having an aggravating issue: all of the books and movies on offer in Google Play are Spanish, and while I'm located in Spain for a week and a half longer, I can't read Spanish. Is there a way to make Google Play only offer media in English? I've Googled this and am stymied.

You can use Market Enabler to change your store's region. Think you need root though.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Is there a sketch app like Paper for Android? Something dead simple? Also, is there any app I can use to lock out the onscreen buttons? My two year old son playing with the Nexus 10, when using Skitch he'll always bump the home button, and exit the application by accident. It'd be nice if there was an app (or ROM) I guess, that disables or locks out the home button when it's running in the background. I'm not sure how that would work, but it'd be nice to have.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Pinball posted:

You'll have to physically move to the US.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

What is the latest hotness for syncing shopping and to lists? Needs to have a web front end, android and iphone client. I was using Out of Milk but it looks like the iphone version is in beta, and I need something really solid and easy to use.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Is there a sketch app like Paper for Android? Something dead simple? Also, is there any app I can use to lock out the onscreen buttons? My two year old son playing with the Nexus 10, when using Skitch he'll always bump the home button, and exit the application by accident. It'd be nice if there was an app (or ROM) I guess, that disables or locks out the home button when it's running in the background. I'm not sure how that would work, but it'd be nice to have.

Dunno about the sketch app, but with CM 10.1 (maybe previous ones as well), you're able to use an "Extended desktop" through holding down the power button and toggling it. It will make you Home/Back/Recent buttons disappear, and extend the desktop/app to the full screen.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

kri kri posted:

What is the latest hotness for syncing shopping and to lists? Needs to have a web front end, android and iphone client. I was using Out of Milk but it looks like the iphone version is in beta, and I need something really solid and easy to use.
My wife and I use Our Groceries which is obviously shopping-centric. What I've been trying out for cross-platform (OSX, Windows, Android, iOS) to-do list sharing is Wunderlist. What I like most about Wunderlist is that it uses clients (no reason to sully OSX with something ugly) instead of a web front end though so it might now be ideal for you.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
So after having my iPhone stolen, I got a Galaxy SIII for Christmas, and have been having a great time screwing around with it for the past day or so. However, I really miss being able to view text messages/missed alerts at the lock screen, like I was able to do on my iphone. Is there any sort of app that will display text messages, at the very least, on the lock screen? I downloaded one that displays the message on the screen, but it goes away after a couple seconds and I still have to unlock my phone and go to messages to view it again or if I miss it.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Could (s)he just use a US-based proxy?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

kri kri posted:

My wife and I share all kinds of lists and docs on just plain google drive. Not purpose built for shopping but for that we have just kind of a template doc shared with all the sections of the store named and we just fill it in.

I just put the ios version on my kids ipod touches and it looks about exactly the same as the android one.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

thehoodie posted:

So after having my iPhone stolen, I got a Galaxy SIII for Christmas, and have been having a great time screwing around with it for the past day or so. However, I really miss being able to view text messages/missed alerts at the lock screen, like I was able to do on my iphone. Is there any sort of app that will display text messages, at the very least, on the lock screen? I downloaded one that displays the message on the screen, but it goes away after a couple seconds and I still have to unlock my phone and go to messages to view it again or if I miss it.

I don't use it as I have a native-popup in CM10.1, but SMS Popup might be able to do this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/...C5zbXNwb3B1cCJd

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Penguissimo posted:

Could (s)he just use a US-based proxy?
I'm not exactly sure as I've never actually had the problem but it's my understanding that Google uses your current physical location to determine Play Store access, not just your data connection's location. I'll admit to perhaps being wrong as I've never tried to circumvent the Play Store localization while abroad.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

thehoodie posted:

SMS popup will do this, and personally I prefer ChompSMS. You have to manually set up ChompSMS to do it, but I really like it. (Settings > Notifications > Quick Reply Popup > Enabled)

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

LastInLine posted:

My wife and I use Our Groceries which is obviously shopping-centric. What I've been trying out for cross-platform (OSX, Windows, Android, iOS) to-do list sharing is Wunderlist. What I like most about Wunderlist is that it uses clients (no reason to sully OSX with something ugly) instead of a web front end though so it might now be ideal for you.

Clients are fine I guess. This is for my parents so the google drive thing is probably out because it needs to be stupidly easy.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

LastInLine posted:

Really? Wow. That's loving ridiculous that I can't make it deliver apps in English. It seems like a real oversight on Google's part.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Pinball posted:

Really? Wow. That's loving ridiculous that I can't make it deliver apps in English. It seems like a real oversight on Google's part.

Try unotelly's free trial, they have a guide.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Pinball posted:

If you just want the Play Store in English the language selector is at the bottom of the web page but the market restrictions are tough to work around.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Pinball posted:

I get every app suggested here in English in Germany. Most of the suggested media is in German, but I've never had a problem finding English books. I don't even think there are too many non-English apps out there.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Cross posting from the Android game thread, Amazon is giving away 15 android apps in their store today, including Splashtop.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

LastInLine posted:

If you just want the Play Store in English the language selector is at the bottom of the web page but the market restrictions are tough to work around.

Tried that. Switched from American English to UK English and back, and it still informs me that the Nexus 7 is el regalo perfecto. I've tried emailing the Play Store people; I guess we'll see if there's anything they can do.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

flatluigi posted:

I was mainly looking for a good blog or site that posts highlights, but I guess I wasn't clear enough. Thanks for the help, though!

This might be what you're looking for
Set Up and Get to Know Your New Android Phone
Lifehacker Pack for Android: Our List of the Best Android Apps

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
So I'm having serious problems recently with google play basically hanging up on me (the song will reach the end but the timestamp will continue ticking off into infinity) and requiring a restart to actually play music again. Is this a problem with my phone, Play itself, or my SD card? I was looking for other music players to test but it seems like Play is literally the only app anyone uses/recommends.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Emalde posted:

So I'm having serious problems recently with google play basically hanging up on me (the song will reach the end but the timestamp will continue ticking off into infinity) and requiring a restart to actually play music again. Is this a problem with my phone, Play itself, or my SD card? I was looking for other music players to test but it seems like Play is literally the only app anyone uses/recommends.

If you're not bothered about online storage then look at Poweramp.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

rolleyes posted:

If you're not bothered about online storage then look at Poweramp.

Wow, Poweramp runs a hell of a lot smoother than Play ever did. Thanks!

Dayne
Dec 5, 2003
uh, yeah
Is there a way to trigger Google Now to alert me when I should leave for work without setting a Calendar appointment for it? I know you can put the time and place on an appointment and it'll alert when it's time to leave but I don't want to clutter up my calendar widget with a bunch of entries.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Dayne posted:

Is there a way to trigger Google Now to alert me when I should leave for work without setting a Calendar appointment for it? I know you can put the time and place on an appointment and it'll alert when it's time to leave but I don't want to clutter up my calendar widget with a bunch of entries.

How else would it get the information? You might be able to create a separate calendar for your work times, but hide it from your widget. I think Now will still pick up on those appointments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Emalde posted:

Wow, Poweramp runs a hell of a lot smoother than Play ever did. Thanks!

Play is actually the Play store app where you buy apps, music etc. You mean Google Music. I totally agree that its crappy, the thing doesn't even reliably show lockscreen controls for me.

• Locked thread