Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Yeah, not sure why they're not on the Dell website, but they do exist. Anyhow, there are HUGE differences between the U2414M and the U2410. As you suspected, the U2410 is more for serious business pro-graphics. Among other things, it is wide-gamut (ability to display more colors, but since 99% of stuff is aimed at a standard-gamut, it tends to make things look "odd" if you don't know what you're doing), and sports a8 8 bit panel with 12 bit internal processing. It also sports a noticeably higher price-tag. The U2414M is standard-gamut and uses a 6 bit panel.

The U24(12|13|14)M is what you want if you're just looking for a real nice monitor for games, movies, and general use. Also that $200 difference is misleading, as to get the most out of the U2410 you also need a $150+ colorometer to go along with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I SAID LISTEN
Jan 10, 2007
I don't *do* up.
Cool, thanks for the info. It looks like the U2414M just isn't on the Dell website, so I'm leaning toward the U2412M.

I SAID LISTEN fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 23, 2012

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

DrDork posted:

Yeah, not sure why they're not on the Dell website, but they do exist.

Pretty sure they actually don't - the last two digits are the year the model was released (like new cars they do tend to start their model years early, but they certainly haven't got to 14 yet)

I have the U2412M and am very happy with it for the price - there is a fair amount of IPS glow noticeable and a little backlight bleed on black screens but overall image quality is great.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I SAID LISTEN posted:

Cool, thanks for the info. It looks like the U2414M just isn't on the Dell website, so I'm leaning toward the U2412M.

The U2414M could be from the future, time-traveler man :stare:

(the last two digits are usually the model year)

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ACID POLICE posted:

Who are the trustworthy eBay vendors of Korean monitors right now? I posted a link to a few of the cheapest ones from eBay on IRC and some people told me that the sellers I linked were dishonest and whatever. It's been a little while since I last looked into this though.

Also wondering this, the posts linked in the OP are fairly old. How can I tell if its matte or AG coated?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

I SAID LISTEN posted:

I see. I was mainly trying to figure out the difference between the U2412M and the U2410 (besides ~$200). I gather the U2410 is more for professional graphic purposes?

And so that I'm not going insane, did you actually mean U2414M or U2412M? I can't find U2414M on the Dell site.

Yeah, sorry... U2412M. The U2410 is the wide color gamut model and is also CCFL backlit. Its geared for photo work. Some people tend to find such monitors over saturated.

Anyways I bought my U2412M a few months ago to replace my old aging FW900 CRT. Easily one of the best computer related purchases I've ever made. Have never regretted it.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 24, 2012

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

I SAID LISTEN posted:

Don't overlook Asus's offerings. I own the PA248Q.. 24" 1920x1200 16x10 IPS (USB 3.0 ports, too!)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236287

I love it. Very competitively priced alongside the Dells.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
I returned my U2412m because its PWM frequency was low enough to give me considerable eyestrain. This was really disappointing because it was otherwise perfect for my needs and I got it at a fantastic price ($249). Before this I wasn't even aware that I had to value this attribute (which isn't even listed on spec sheets) as highly as anything else. It's absolutely responsive enough to play FPSes upon successfully, for whoever was wondering.

I'm planning on getting one of those Korean IPS 27" when the crop replenishes into 2013. I've been trying to find out their typical PWM stats with minimal success.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I SAID LISTEN posted:

Thanks, I don't know how I missed that earlier. Should I be concerned about the 8ms response time? Coming from 5ms.

I can't notice much difference between a U2410 with its humongous 33.8ms response, a "5 ms" TN BenQ and a high-end CRT, for what is worth, and I'm a hurr gamerr, although granted I don't do FPS wherein I'm sure the differences would be more noticeable.

It's pretty irrelevant for RTS/RPGs though.

Chubby Coffee
Sep 3, 2011
This is somewhat tangential to this thread, but does anyone have any recommendations for a 3-meter mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cables that will run a monitor at 2560x1600? I just tried a cable from Monoprice only to discover that it won't do better than 1920x1080--in fact, according to their technical support line, none of their cables will do better than 1920x1080. According to the DisplayPort FAQ, only 2-meter cables can be guaranteed to do 2560x1600, so I'm a bit reluctant to trust the sales blurbs on Amazon or Newegg.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Chubby Coffee posted:

This is somewhat tangential to this thread, but does anyone have any recommendations for a 3-meter mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cables that will run a monitor at 2560x1600? I just tried a cable from Monoprice only to discover that it won't do better than 1920x1080--in fact, according to their technical support line, none of their cables will do better than 1920x1080. According to the DisplayPort FAQ, only 2-meter cables can be guaranteed to do 2560x1600, so I'm a bit reluctant to trust the sales blurbs on Amazon or Newegg.

Oh, GODDAMNIT. I was so set on doing that too. Now I have to go miniDisplayPort to Dual DVI, wherein the adaptor and wire cost $65 more. Ughhh.

e: Wait, so I didn't read this in enough detail the first time. If I'm understanding you correctly, the 3' cable WILL do 2560x1600 (or 2650x1440 in my case), but the 6' one will not? I can live with that if so.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 25, 2012

oogs
Dec 6, 2011

Abel Wingnut posted:

Oh, GODDAMNIT. I was so set on doing that too. Now I have to go miniDisplayPort to Dual DVI, wherein the adaptor and wire cost $65 more. Ughhh.

e: Wait, so I didn't read this in enough detail the first time. If I'm understanding you correctly, the 3' cable WILL do 2560x1600 (or 2650x1440 in my case), but the 6' one will not? I can live with that if so.

Not quite - he said 3 meter (9ft) can only do 1920x1080. The 2 meter (6ft) can do 2560x1600.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Chubby Coffee posted:

Is it worth $85 for a repeater to you?

Generally, an active cable would do the job - that's a cable for DP 1.2 that draws power from the USB/AUX line to power a signal amplifier/DSP chip. Unfortunately, it's really hard to find those, because 1) most people use the active cable feature to make adapters to DVI, HDMI or VGA, flooding the search results, and 2) it just genuinely seems like few people, if any, make them. I did find this absolutely no-name, unreviewed 15 foot mDP extension cable. That seller has some other interesting bits - 3m cable claimed for 2560x compatibility, and some 1xmDP to 2xmDP splitters (could they actually be MST hubs, or are they just cloners?). But I don't exactly feel like I could buy with confidence, y'know?

E: StarTech maybe? It's not explicitly active, but it costs like one might expect for an active cable, and they stop claiming 2560x compatibility after 25 feet.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 25, 2012

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

oogs posted:

Not quite - he said 3 meter (9ft) can only do 1920x1080. The 2 meter (6ft) can do 2560x1600.

Oh, whoops. I got really frustrated for a second and confused the numbers.

PRAISE GOD.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I'm looking to upgrade my dual-monitor setup after the first of the year, and I'm coming from a pair of 20.5" Dell 2007WFPs. My current video card is an ATI Radeon HD 5450.

I'm thinking that a pair of 23" monitors will work in my current desktop arrangement, without overtaking things, but am having trouble deciding between these two Dells:

Either one will be a huge step up from what I'm currently using. I'm not a big gamer, I don't do a lot of video editing, but I do like to do a decent amount of photography and Photoshop work, so accurate colors are important to me. I don't know if that extra $60 per monitor is worth forking over for the IPS display, since I've been using these existing monitors for 5+ years with no real issues (and I'm trying not to break the bank on this upgrade).

Thoughts and recommendations? Is the lower-priced option here the better one for me, or is there another manufacturer you'd recommend for the same size / price range?

Also, on a separate note, is there a decent HDMI -> dual display splitter that I should look at?

Aatrek fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 25, 2012

Chubby Coffee
Sep 3, 2011

Factory Factory posted:

Is it worth $85 for a repeater to you?

E: StarTech maybe? It's not explicitly active, but it costs like one might expect for an active cable, and they stop claiming 2560x compatibility after 25 feet.

Thanks for the in-depth reply; I always enjoy the extra information you pack into your replies.

At this point though, it's not worth $85 to me. I'll gamble on the StarTech or possibly a TrippLite cable and if that doesn't work, I'll re-think my desktop position.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Aatrek posted:

I'm looking to upgrade my dual-monitor setup after the first of the year, and I'm coming from a pair of 20.5" Dell 2007WFPs. My current video card is an ATI Radeon HD 5450.

I'm thinking that a pair of 23" monitors will work in my current desktop arrangement, without overtaking things, but am having trouble deciding between these two Dells:

Either one will be a huge step up from what I'm currently using. I'm not a big gamer, I don't do a lot of video editing, but I do like to do a decent amount of photography and Photoshop work, so accurate colors are important to me. I don't know if that extra $60 per monitor is worth forking over for the IPS display, since I've been using these existing monitors for 5+ years with no real issues (and I'm trying not to break the bank on this upgrade).

Thoughts and recommendations? Is the lower-priced option here the better one for me, or is there another manufacturer you'd recommend for the same size / price range?

Also, on a separate note, is there a decent HDMI -> dual display splitter that I should look at?

You want the U2312s, they'll last you another 5+ years easily. Accurate, beautiful IPS colors.

For splitter, I assume you want something that takes one HDMI signal and turns it into two identical outputs?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
So the U2312HM/U2412M are still the recommended IPS monitors, even after being out more than a year? I see there is the Asus PA238Q for a bit more, but it's meant to have backlight bleeding issues. Hoping to get a U2412M for almost the same price as a U2312HM in post-Christmas sales. Still not sure if I actually need 16:10, though.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Dec 25, 2012

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

movax posted:

For splitter, I assume you want something that takes one HDMI signal and turns it into two identical outputs?

Well, sort of - my current video card has one HDMI port, one DVI - I port, and one VGA port. I was hoping to go from HDMI -> both monitors, since Windows 8 has nicely built-in dual monitor support, but if that will only get me two duplicate displays, would HDMI + DVI be better for what I'm looking for?

I'm running DVI + VGA rignt now, since my current monitors don't have HDMI support, and I can never seem to make the colors match between the two (even though they're the same model monitor).

Aatrek fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Dec 25, 2012

oogs
Dec 6, 2011

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

So the U2312HM/U2412M are still the recommended IPS monitors, even after being out more than a year? I see there is the Asus PA238Q for a bit more, but it's meant to have backlight bleeding issues. Hoping to get a U2412M for almost the same price as a U2312HM in post-Christmas sales. Still not sure if I actually need 16:10, though.

I will happily recommend the Dells. Gorgeous monitors, great for gaming. I haven't tried the Asus offerings yet.

As for 16:10 vs. 16:9, I would argue for 16:10. It's 11% more screen real estate than a 16:9 screen, and it shouldn't come at a huge premium.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
They're still £60-70 more here. Aside from the price he things holding me back from it are having black bars on lovely console ports but I hardly play new games or any games at all anymore.

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Where are you looking at getting one at that price in the post-Christmas sales? I'm looking at buying one after Christmas and was wondering what the best place for sales is.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Main websites I check for daily/weekly deals: Amazon, Scan.co.uk, Overclockers.co.uk, dabs.com, aria.co.uk and eBay. There are a few on there at the moment:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290834085613?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290834086002?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290834086205?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The same seller did a bunch of U2312HMs a couple of weeks ago, I stopped bidding on them once they hit about ~£100, might as well get one from a shop after that. Aria has the 23" for £140 at the moment and a 24" for £200. It's probably wishful thinking that the U2412M will go down to ~£160.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Blaisedell posted:

Where are you looking at getting one at that price in the post-Christmas sales? I'm looking at buying one after Christmas and was wondering what the best place for sales is.

I've been checking websites daily since black friday when I was able to score one of the U2312HM with the coupon code for $199, so far the best deals I have been able to find(non-ebay/reseller/auction based) are oddly enough on dells own website. They have the U2312HM for $229/free shipping currently which is equal/the closest I have seen since the $199 coupon code.

Not sure if the same can be said about the 24inch monitors, but its probably worth taking a look.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Aatrek posted:

Well, sort of - my current video card has one HDMI port, one DVI - I port, and one VGA port. I was hoping to go from HDMI -> both monitors, since Windows 8 has nicely built-in dual monitor support, but if that will only get me two duplicate displays, would HDMI + DVI be better for what I'm looking for?

I'm running DVI + VGA rignt now, since my current monitors don't have HDMI support, and I can never seem to make the colors match between the two (even though they're the same model monitor).

You will use HDMI for one monitor DVI for the other. Windows doesn't care.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Thermopyle posted:

You will use HDMI for one monitor DVI for the other. Windows doesn't care.

Heh, yes sir! Will that correct my color-matching issues that I'm currently having? Or is that just a VGA vs DVI issue?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Aatrek posted:

Heh, yes sir! Will that correct my color-matching issues that I'm currently having? Or is that just a VGA vs DVI issue?

Just a VGA problem. HDMI and DVI will be sending digital signals to your monitor, whereas VGA sends an analog signal.

At least, I'm 95% sure that will solve your color-matching issue. Someone else will have to jump in and say if there's some weird processing that HDMI or DVI does on the signal that I'm not aware of. That's not likely though. (Because I know everything)

movax
Aug 30, 2008

The only possibility is that your video card may actually have the HDMI and DVI off the same display pipe, and you can't use them both together. That was more a Nvidia thing though.

But if that's not the case, hit up Monoprice for a cheap adapter or cable. I use one with one of my 2209WAs, because the GT210 I have has 1x DVI and 1x HDMI.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

100% Dundee posted:

I've been checking websites daily since black friday when I was able to score one of the U2312HM with the coupon code for $199, so far the best deals I have been able to find(non-ebay/reseller/auction based) are oddly enough on dells own website. They have the U2312HM for $229/free shipping currently which is equal/the closest I have seen since the $199 coupon code.

Not sure if the same can be said about the 24inch monitors, but its probably worth taking a look.

Dell UK is always way more expensive than any of the retailers.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I won an HP 2511 in a work-place raffle today. Pretty good for free but the noise it makes is driving me crazy. Just a constant hum whenever its powered. Anything I can do to get rid of it?

edit: I think its the fan in the back that keeps the backlighting cool.

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 26, 2012

Pottsdam
Sep 11, 2000

MY MEAT!
MY MEAAAATTTTT!
Does anyone have any experience with this Dell S2740L?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Pottsdam posted:

Does anyone have any experience with this Dell S2740L?

Based on the quoted viewing angles it looks like it's an IPS-panel display, and Dell is generally a good brand for monitors, but it's also a 27" 1080p screen so the pixels will be pretty large and it won't show any more detail than a 20" 1080p screen would. At that physical size you really want to get 1440p or higher like the U2713HM or one of the Korean import monitors.

Naughty McGee
Mar 31, 2010

Tapedump posted:

Don't overlook Asus's offerings. I own the PA248Q.. 24" 1920x1200 16x10 IPS (USB 3.0 ports, too!)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236287

I love it. Very competitively priced alongside the Dells.

I REALLY like the looks of this Asus monitor, but I've read that many people experience much worse backlight bleed than the Ultrasharp U2412M (but that it might go away within a few weeks of use). Is it very noticeable on yours?

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Mr.Radar posted:

Based on the quoted viewing angles it looks like it's an IPS-panel display, and Dell is generally a good brand for monitors, but it's also a 27" 1080p screen so the pixels will be pretty large and it won't show any more detail than a 20" 1080p screen would. At that physical size you really want to get 1440p or higher like the U2713HM or one of the Korean import monitors.
I researched this one, and while the 1920x1080 limitation is true and certainly pertinent, it does have some great upsides like not using PWM for the backlight, a glossy screen (instead of Dell's more common AG coating) and extremely fast response time.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Are there any non-crappy, sub-$250 1920x1200 monitors?

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
No. To get 1200 instead of 1080 you pretty much have to go to the 24" IPS panels such as the Dell 2412 or whatever Asus (or a few other brands)

These usually hover around $300.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Chubby Coffee posted:

I'm using this one (http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B001MUI3LU/ 3m version) + a mini dp <> dp adaptor that was included with my video card and it is working just fine.

One question, my U2711 has the OSD locked, and I cannot figure out how to unlock it. According to various posts its either the bottom button for 15 seconds, or the bottom two, or remove all cables and press the power button for 5 seconds, but nothing works.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
My graphics card only supports two monitors at a time. I have have my main monitor hooked up via DVI. And then, my Panasonic HDTV is hooked up via HDMI for when I want to use XBMC. However, I'd like to add another display without messing up anything and without buying another graphics card. Is there some kind of swapper I can use or some kind of box I can hook up so I can make my HDTV the secondary display only when I need it and just turn off the secondary monitor? I've got an onboard video card that is made into the computer.

My setup:
HP p6210f
Windows 7
GeForce GT 440
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121426

89 fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 27, 2012

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

89 posted:

My graphics card only supports two monitors at a time. I have have my main monitor hooked up via DVI. And then, my Panasonic HDTV is hooked up via HDMI for when I want to use XBMC. However, I'd like to add another display without messing up anything and without buying another graphics card. Is there some kind of swapper I can use or some kind of box I can hook up so I can make my HDTV the secondary display only when I need it and just turn off the secondary monitor? I've got an onboard video card that is made into the computer.

My setup:
HP p6210f
Windows 7
GeForce GT 440
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121426

There are hdmi switchers, both passive and active.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Abel Wingnut posted:

Has anyone used the U2913WM? Thoughts?

Haven't used it, haven't seen it in person, but have been doing a lot of research on it. The pluses are it's wider than a 30" Dell monitor by .26 of an inch. The thing is, you could get the same viewing area PLUS 360 additional vertical pixels if you go with a Dell 27" monitor. As long as you can deal with a panel that is 2 inches narrower. The 29" inch monitors are supposed to have some sort of display software that's supposed to do stuff with program windows. But I haven't bothered to look for details on it.

Mr.Radar posted:

And I'm here to say the "screen door" effect is not as big of a deal as everyone makes it out to be. My primary monitor was a 32" samsung 1080p tv and I've gone to Dell u2412m dual screens. I would have to put my nose on either screen before I could start to tell a difference in pixel pitch. So don't be afraid to give it a try and see for yourself.