Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

It was a F1.8 lens, thought it was 17mm but I could be mis-remembering, but definitely not 2.8...

Radbot posted:

Why would you ditch a 5N to go with an OM-D? The lens selection?

I won't, but it made me seriously consider it. Weather sealed, IBIS, lens selection, fast focus, nice evf- if it had an APS-C it would probably be the perfect camera. I just made some large prints from my NEX which came out fantastic.

I love my NEX, especially with legacy glass but have a strong desire for an EVF (yes I could get the add-on) and the ability to use OCF. Now with the rumors of a FF nex in the future, I will definitely save my funds. Also, according to the oly rep, the OM-D will be refreshed in the near future as a prosumer grade camera (not sure what that means spec wise).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Haven't there been "rumors" of a full frame NEX for like a year already?

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

There already is a full frame NEX video camera, so it seems logical that a still camera would happen at some point.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...

Beastruction posted:

Haven't there been "rumors" of a full frame NEX for like a year already?

Between the full-frame NEXVG900 video camera and the RX1, it's very obvious where the next destination on Sony's map is going to be, and that will be the full-frame NEX CSC. Yeah, it's a safe bet that one is announced within the next 365 days, I just wouldn't expect it to be much more than an announcement until at least around this time of year 2013. What will be funny is if someone else beats Sony to the full-frame punch, like maybe Fujifilm or even a dark horse like Pentax.

At any rate, the whole compact landscape is starting to really look dramatically different, next year should be a banner year for tiny camera supremacy (like this year wasn't already...)

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Studebaker Hawk posted:

Played with the XE-1 and OM-D today, no NEX-6 in stock. I was disappointed by the AF speed and EVF lag with the XE-1- I really wanted to love that camera, as I dig the aesthetics and think the lens selection is great.

I was really surprised by the OM-D with the 17mm. Great performance, nice shots and man is it fast. Starting to wonder how much I would miss APS-C if I were to make the change. Realistically, I just stick with my NEX-5n for another year to see what comes down the pike.

I felt the same way. The EVF lag was horrible on the XE-1 and is the primary reason I didn't get one. OMD is a solid camera all around.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
Do you guys have a suggestion for a flash for my brother-in-law who has an Olympus E-PL1? He doesn't want to spend more than 80 dollars, but I might be able to talk him up to $150 for the right flash.

He wants something that's not absolutely gigantic, but I want it to be something that can definitely swivel for flash bounce, and has optical RC so he can trigger it off camera with his built-in flash.

Any suggestions that won't break the bank?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Costello Jello posted:

Do you guys have a suggestion for a flash for my brother-in-law who has an Olympus E-PL1? He doesn't want to spend more than 80 dollars, but I might be able to talk him up to $150 for the right flash.

He wants something that's not absolutely gigantic, but I want it to be something that can definitely swivel for flash bounce, and has optical RC so he can trigger it off camera with his built-in flash.

Any suggestions that won't break the bank?

Yongnuo makes some flashes that fit almost everything you want (price and features specifically), but I dunno if they're what you'd consider gigantic or not (they're normal sized).

Olympus makes a compact flash that can do bounce, but it only works wirelessly with the newer olympus bodies so I don't know if it'll work for you (it's the Olympus FL-300R).

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Bought a used NEX-5n for 320 bucks off of Amazon. Time for some manual lens fun!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Body cap lens for Christmas gently caress yeah! :toot::greatgift:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

DJExile posted:

Body cap lens for Christmas gently caress yeah! :toot::greatgift:

Awesome! Make with the pictures already. <:mad:>

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I just picked up an E-P1 body for $150 and a Pentax K-mount to MFT adapter for $15. Now I have a point and shoot that I can use with my PK lenses to have awesome pictures and videos at parties and family get-togethers :unsmith: Can't wait for it to arrive

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Someone tell me about the Panasonic Lumix 100-300mm f/4.0-5.6 OIS. This looks like an awesome travel lens.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
So after being away for the better part of two months, my Zuiko 42mm f/1.2 came back to me as "unrepairable". Place didn't charge me, but still... poo poo. IDK if I'll buy another one, I got mine at a pretty steep discount due to some "fungus" and an engraving.

Sony, why does your native lens selection have to suck so much rear end? I also finally updated the firmware on my OG NEX-3. Want to say the AF has gotten worse

:negative:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Try Focal Point, he has a pretty good reputation for dealing with tricky stuff. You might be better off rolling the dice on ebay though, the prices on those have jumped quite a bit. Might make more than you paid for it.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
Got myself an X-E1 for christmas. So nice having full manual controls after coming from a point-and-shoot where everything was done with a wheel + 5-way switch.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Groupon keeping the mirrorless hits coming with a cheap Pentax Q:

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-pentax-q-with-zoom-kit-1?c=all&p=21

Note that it doesn't come with the zoom lens pictured.

Radbot fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 30, 2012

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Radbot posted:

Groupon keeping the mirrorless hits coming with a cheap Pentax Q:

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-pentax-q-with-zoom-kit-1?c=all&p=21

Note that it doesn't come with the zoom lens pictured.

Yeah, I think it comes with a 47mm-equivalent prime instead. I love the "standard prime zoom lens" on there.

quote:

$199 for a black Pentax Q camera kit with 01 standard prime zoom lens ($479 list price)

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

I love my X100 but I don't love having no zoom :( I'm thinking about ditching it for a NEX of some flavour.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

Digital Jesus posted:

I love my X100 but I don't love having no zoom :( I'm thinking about ditching it for an XE-1 of some flavour.

fixed that for you :)

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
Hey, thread! Right now I have a D800 with a few decent lenses, but this thing is a bit much for doing unplanned street shooting. I was contemplating supplementing the D800 with either an XE-1 or an OM-D. Both seem to be excellent cameras, and as far as I can tell, the tradeoffs between them are:

Fuji Pros:
-loving awesome IQ @ high ISO
-APS-C
-Great optics (even the kit zoom is good)

Fuji Cons:
-EVF lag
-Software is maturing over time
-Fewer manual dials

OM-D Pros:
-Weather sealing
-Robust build
-Mount is standardized
-Cheaper?
-IB-IS
-Manual dials!

OM-D Cons:
-Kit lens is not good. Body not significantly cheaper w/o lens
-High ISO performance not as good
-More "cramped" (I bought a D800 over the D600 b/c of a larger body)
-Good lenses are _very_ expensive
-Touch screen (not so keen on this)

Am I missing anything? I guess both cameras will receive a revision bump in the new year, so my worry is that once Fuji revs the XE, they will stop firmware enhancements of the XE-1. The OM-D is a more "complete" camera in that respect, so less to worry about.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

You can turn off the touchscreen functions on the OM-D, and it bears mentioning that while the OM-D's body is sealed, I think only two current lenses (The kit and the 60mm macro) are sealed as well.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I'd say grab an OM-D and glue the panny 20 to it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

DJExile posted:

You can turn off the touchscreen functions on the OM-D, and it bears mentioning that while the OM-D's body is sealed, I think only two current lenses (The kit and the 60mm macro) are sealed as well.

By the by, are Pana weathersealed lenses compatible (as in, fully weatherproof) on the OM-D and vice versa?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

krooj posted:

OM-D Cons:

No they're not.

The 45/1.8 is excellent. The 20/1.7 is excellent. The 14/2.5 is also quite good. Neither will break the bank. Even some of the inexpensive zooms give you great IQ, like the 40-150.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

krooj posted:

You do realize that the most of the "_very_ expensive" lenses available for the OM-D start at the bottom of where the "recommended" D800 lenses begin in pricing. Otherwise you're wasting the potential of what the camera can even do. The same goes for any camera, but especially for the OM-D.

That being said, seconding the vote for the OM-D - look into the amazing Zuiko lens trilogy (12, 45, 75) and also the totally fantastic Panasonic/Leica 25.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Or get a NEX 5N for cheap and put manual focus lenses on it. APS-C sensor, great low-light performance and a very compact size. The camera is practically palmable with the 16mm pancake on it.

The lack of viewfinder actually makes it better for street because it looks less serious not unlike any other P&S in a crowd. Shooting without a viewfinder is kind of liberating. You'll find yourself taking shots at angles you never would have tried with a viewfinder. You can hold it up with one hand above your head and press the shutter button with your pinky finger or hold it low, swing the screen out and use your thumb for the shutter.

Another good thing about the 5N is that it has already been replaced by the 5R but is still available so you won't be paying the "shiny and new" penalty.

HPL fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 31, 2012

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

krooj posted:

Hey, thread! Right now I have a D800 with a few decent lenses, but this thing is a bit much for doing unplanned street shooting. I was contemplating supplementing the D800 with either an XE-1 or an OM-D. Both seem to be excellent cameras, and as far as I can tell, the tradeoffs between them are:

Fuji Pros:
-loving awesome IQ @ high ISO
-APS-C
-Great optics (even the kit zoom is good)

Fuji Cons:
-EVF lag
-Software is maturing over time
-Fewer manual dials

OM-D Pros:
-Weather sealing
-Robust build
-Mount is standardized
-Cheaper?
-IB-IS
-Manual dials!

OM-D Cons:
-Touch screen (not so keen on this)

Am I missing anything? I guess both cameras will receive a revision bump in the new year, so my worry is that once Fuji revs the XE, they will stop firmware enhancements of the XE-1. The OM-D is a more "complete" camera in that respect, so less to worry about.

The "even the kit lens is good" thing is not fair to compare with other kit lenses because the xe-1 kit lens is a $700 lens on it's own. It is more akin to a 5dmk3 and 24-70L bundle.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

keyframe posted:

The "even the kit lens is good" thing is not fair to compare with other kit lenses because the xe-1 kit lens is a $700 lens on it's own. It is more akin to a 5dmk3 and 24-70L bundle.

And to be honest, the 12-50 is not a bad lens at all.

Especially the macro mode is damned impressive: http://robinwong.blogspot.se/2011/12/olympus-mzuiko-12-50mm-f35-63-review.html

Random Task
Mar 23, 2012
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A WORTHLESS GODDAMN DEADBEAT AND RUINING CHRISTMAS IN DORKROOM. NO SERIOUSLY, ASK ME, SO I CAN EXPLAIN MYSELF.

krooj posted:

OM-D Cons:
That bolded point is a red flag to me. The OMD is a very shallow gripped camera with very small buttons. Strongly recommend you try one in the hand somehow before you buy it. If the D600's size was not quite enough...jeez.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Mr. Despair posted:

Yongnuo makes some flashes that fit almost everything you want (price and features specifically), but I dunno if they're what you'd consider gigantic or not (they're normal sized).

Olympus makes a compact flash that can do bounce, but it only works wirelessly with the newer olympus bodies so I don't know if it'll work for you (it's the Olympus FL-300R).

Those Yongnuo flashes definitely fit the bill on price, but I believe they'll be too manual for him, since Program mode is the most he's ever done with his E-PL1. So I don't think he's ready for a real flash. I'll recommend that FL-300R to him, it seems like the perfect choice, except for how slow it recharges.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Random Task posted:

That bolded point is a red flag to me. The OMD is a very shallow gripped camera with very small buttons. Strongly recommend you try one in the hand somehow before you buy it. If the D600's size was not quite enough...jeez.

The button layout of the XE-1 is amazing and feels great. I just wish there was an X100 refresh with the same layout.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

Helicity posted:

The button layout of the XE-1 is amazing and feels great. I just wish there was an X100 refresh with the same layout.

Wait until Fuji's announcement in 8 days, you may be pleasantly surprised

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

Random Task posted:

The battery grip (or just the extension piece from the grip) alleviates this problem in a major way. But I concur, that the OM-D without this extension has a really uncomfortably shallow grip.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

krackmonkey posted:

Wait until Fuji's announcement in 8 days, you may be pleasantly surprised

I haven't seen anything about this. Do you have more info?

edit: duh, CES 2013. Still, can't find much about what specific news they're announcing.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

Helicity posted:

edit: duh, CES 2013. Still, can't find much about what specific news they're announcing.

There's this:

http://www.fujirumors.com/rumor-update-x-100-replacement-x-20/ (arguably not much to go on)

Also the x100 is now marked as discontinued by most retailers, as is the x10. Hopefully if there's an x100 successor, it won't trickle out to market the way the first one did.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Helicity posted:

Might be a bump to a 24MP sensor?

In any case, I did try the OM-D at a store, which is why I knew it was cramped for me. The reasoning behind the statement on good m/43 lenses being very expensive was based upon looking up the prices on fast primes and zooms for that mount. The Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8 is only a little ($250) cheaper than the Nikkor equivalent. The Olympus f/2 equivalent is significantly more expensive than both. Similarly, primes seem to be priced equivalent to their 35mm counterparts. Take the Panasonic 25mm, for example: it's about $550 locally, and the Nikkor is right around the same price. I thought one of the points of the m/43 system was to be not only physically smaller, but somewhat cheaper than 35mm or even DX/APS-C?

Without question, the OM-D is goon-approved.

Random Task
Mar 23, 2012
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A WORTHLESS GODDAMN DEADBEAT AND RUINING CHRISTMAS IN DORKROOM. NO SERIOUSLY, ASK ME, SO I CAN EXPLAIN MYSELF.

krackmonkey posted:

The battery grip (or just the extension piece from the grip) alleviates this problem in a major way. But I concur, that the OM-D without this extension has a really uncomfortably shallow grip.
Sure, but for someone buying now who wants a larger body, I think it's worth asking about OMD+grip vs GH3. I love my OMD and I have the grip, which is excellent. But I have a particular Olympus bent in that I love their cameras way better for photos -- plus the five axis stabilizer is incredible. Versus Panasonic's dramatically top of any class video, which is also of interest but I can't afford to keep BOTH bodies.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I got my cheap E-P1 in the mail and using it with my Pentax 50mm/1.4 is so beautiful.

I've been looking at the M.Zuiko 14-42, but other brands' lenses are intercompatible on the M4/3 system right? Are there other basic "kit"-sort of lenses that I can pick up on the cheap to have a digital lens for when I don't feel like doodling with manual focus?

Random Task
Mar 23, 2012

QPZIL posted:

Are there other basic "kit"-sort of lenses that I can pick up on the cheap to have a digital lens for when I don't feel like doodling with manual focus?
Depends on what you're looking for. The basic M.Zuiko 14-42 II or Pana 14-42 are simple slow kit zooms. The Sigma 19 and 30 are slow but sharp primes. There's the pancake 14/2.5. That's probably the cheap lenses worth looking at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Random Task posted:

Depends on what you're looking for. The basic M.Zuiko 14-42 II or Pana 14-42 are simple slow kit zooms. The Sigma 19 and 30 are slow but sharp primes. There's the pancake 14/2.5. That's probably the cheap lenses worth looking at.

Awesome, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Also just a confirmation that M4/3 lens mounts are the same across Olympus/Panasonic/etc.