Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Yep, saw a few people using it on Facebook.

I shared it on Facebook myself, this morning. Woke up with it going through my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

(It's the famous RP-ish account)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
To bump this thread with happier news, West Wing is on Netflix Instant finally and I'm doing a total rewatch, forgot how great this show was.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Is it in HD?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Sadly I don't think so, unless I'm missing something.

Nope I'm dumb, it is.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 26, 2012

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Welp, there goes any chance I have of getting work done today.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Glitterbomber posted:

To bump this thread with happier news, West Wing is on Netflix Instant finally and I'm doing a total rewatch, forgot how great this show was.
Thank loving god it's winter break and I'm not teaching.

Unfortunately, I still have to do research. :negative:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Josh Lyman posted:

Thank loving god it's winter break and I'm not teaching.

Unfortunately, I still have to do research. :negative:

Well if you teach American civics...

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Tell us the one about Issac and Ishmael. :f5:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Watching Moonrise Kingdom last night, the studio executive from season 1, Ted, who threatens to cancel the fundraiser if Pres Bartlet doesn't come out in favor of gay marriage, plays a central role. First time I'd seen him since that episode, so it took half the movie to figure it out, but there he is.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Glitterbomber posted:

Finally! I did a watch through a few months ago on Amazon Prime, but their player is just not up to Netflix's quality.

JULIAN ASSANGE
Dec 6, 2012

Julian Assange FACT:
If you unzipped my pants, you would only find more pants.
This is a reminder that the West Wing has the best Christmas episodes of any show.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

JULIAN ASSANGE posted:

This is a reminder that the West Wing has the best Christmas episodes of any show.
When Mrs Landingham tells the story of her sons in Vietnam... :cry:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

JULIAN ASSANGE posted:

"Toby, if we start pulling strings like this don't you think every homeless veteran will come out of the woodwork?"
"I can only hope so, sir."

Easily one of my top five favorite episodes.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you guys have the DVD set another good Christmas episode is Noel in season 2. Great directing, great acting, and the best part is that it has one of the better commentary tracks with Martin Sheen and Bradley Whitford. They comment several times about how they all thought the assistant psychologist was super hot.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Josh Lyman posted:

When Mrs Landingham tells the story of her sons in Vietnam... :cry:
Pfft, so self centered, she's like "yeah when they died they were thinking of me, not their dad, they would have thought of me. I'm that great". I mean, uuuugggh, who didn't cheer when that car hit her? Mrs Landingham, bah, BAH.

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

If you guys have the DVD set another good Christmas episode is Noel in season 2. Great directing, great acting, and the best part is that it has one of the better commentary tracks with Martin Sheen and Bradley Whitford. They comment several times about how they all thought the assistant psychologist was super hot.

I've got the big box set of the West Wing but I've never watched any of the commentaries, are they any good? Funny? The firefly ones are my high bar.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I've watched 5 or so of the commentaries. They're not on every episode, and they're generally not that good. They don't really give interesting information but instead just have the director, writer, and producer congratulating each other for the great job they did.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Delzuma posted:

I've got the big box set of the West Wing but I've never watched any of the commentaries, are they any good? Funny? The firefly ones are my high bar.

Most are bad and if Aaron Sorkin is on it then it's especially boring. I would never have guessed Sorkin would be so awful on commentaries.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Delzuma posted:

^ what they said, re: the WW commentaries, but if Firefly's your high bar, check out Mr. Show and Futurama.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
In the same vein, The Simpsons commentaries are fantastic. They're every episode, give a lot of interesting information about the writing and animation process, and in general are hilarious. It's funny because all the writers and show runners are nerds who know the show inside and out, but whenever they have members of the cast on, they often don't really know all that much about the series.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm a commentary junkie and West Wing junkie. That being said the West Wing commentaries are awful. Don't waste your time.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
There's a really obvious and really easy way to get Aaron to do commentaries on every single episode over the course of a single weekend and I'm disappointed that the studio didn't try it.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Joementum posted:

There's a really obvious and really easy way to get Aaron to do commentaries on every single episode over the course of a single weekend and I'm disappointed that the studio didn't try it.

I don't think I get what you're referring to even though you say it's obvious... Mind explaining?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Superrodan posted:

I don't think I get what you're referring to even though you say it's obvious... Mind explaining?

Aaron Sorkin is famous for his drug habit, particularly during the writing of The West Wing.

Lock him in a room with a bag of coke, a mic and a TV playing The West Wing in sequence. A few days later you'll have the best DVD commentary ever produced.

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

I just want everyone to know that since it was announced that West Wing was on Netflix I've gone and fired it up. Now I see that all of Magnum PI is on there too. Thank god it's winter break cuz I'm never leaving the couch.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

When Sorkin is high you get West Wing. When he's not high you get Studio 60 and Newsroom.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
The Season 4 synopsis on Netflix:

quote:

In the fourth season of the Emmy-winning political drama, President Bartlet has more than just re-election to contend with: For starters, the nation of Qumar is getting larger, and Ainsley Hayes is quitting.

:confused: What? The first point doesn't make much sense, and Ainsley never
"quit" (and I don't think was even mentioned until "Evidence of Things Not Seen" when Josh said something to Joe Quincy)

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The SARS Volta posted:

The Season 4 synopsis on Netflix:

:confused: What? The first point doesn't make much sense, and Ainsley never
"quit" (and I don't think was even mentioned until "Evidence of Things Not Seen" when Josh said something to Joe Quincy)

It makes more sense when you remember that all during that season the fog was getting thicker.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Ainsley quitting off-screen sets up the Joe Quincy storyline which ends up turning into the Hoynes storyline.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ninjahedgehog posted:

"Toby, if we start pulling strings like this don't you think every homeless veteran will come out of the woodwork?"
"I can only hope so, sir."

Easily one of my top five favorite episodes.

The House is right now introducing legislation that would authorize the VA to provide a dignified burial to veterans with no known next of kin.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I forgot that West Wing had one of the few 'reaction to 9/11' episodes that doesn't make me cringe. A plot is the staff on lockdown while having high school students confused and needing education in the situation, B plot is Leo being kinda a racist rear end in a top hat to a suspected terrorist and getting shown to be totally wrong after the suspect calmly endures his insanity.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Glitterbomber posted:

I forgot that West Wing had one of the few 'reaction to 9/11' episodes that doesn't make me cringe. A plot is the staff on lockdown while having high school students confused and needing education in the situation, B plot is Leo being kinda a racist rear end in a top hat to a suspected terrorist and getting shown to be totally wrong after the suspect calmly endures his insanity.

You may be the only person on earth who finds that episode in any way laudable.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
They also have the guy vaguely threaten Leo by saying something like "I can make you regret that" or something equally preposterous to say while locked in a room with secret service. The b plot of that episode is best ignored, I think.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Glitterbomber posted:

I think we watched completely different episodes. Between the high school kid asking if all Muslims are terrorists with a straight face and Leo acting nothing like he had been for the past 40+ episodes I thought it was awful and by far the worst episode aired to date.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

You may be the only person on earth who finds that episode in any way laudable.

He isn't the only one. Just because most of tv iv is a hive mind doesn't mean 'it' is right.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I dunno, maybe I've become battered by Bones doing a straight up 9/11 episode in 2012 and other just total garbage piles, an episode coming out in early October (I'm pretty sure?) right after 9/11 mainly being about 'ok let's show the government explaining that people who do this poo poo are nothing at all like Islam and the dangers of a witch hunt mentality' hit me as decent.

Note that 'a 9/11 episode that doesn't make me cringe' isn't exactly saying it's a great episode.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
Honestly, I only seen this episode once and skip it every time I re-watch the series (yes, I can`t control myself an keep coming back to it). Because of all the motives already pointed here, and the fact that it doesn`t fit really anywhere in the show timeline or progression always put me off of it.

edit: for spelling

Hansen85
Nov 11, 2009
I enjoy Isaac and Ishmael fine for what it is presented as: a play fully outside of the regular continuity of the show. It might be a bit simplistic and heavyhanded at times, but I think it says some things that needed to be said at the time.

It's actually not even close to being my least favorite episode of the Sorkin years.

Hansen85 fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 31, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

The first thing they say is that it is a stand alone morality play and that it has nothing to do with what came before and after- and the first criticism out of the gate was how Leo would act like that in context to the previous episodes.

Its laudable that they took the time and made something of significance to help a population, who was angry and scared and has traditionally turned these feelings into malice and prejudice, learn to look beyond the color of ones skin, their country of origin, or their religion, etc.

They took the proceeds and directed them to the 9/11 responders fund, and it was a fund raiser for it as well.

It has less meaning now eleven years later because its out of context, but its still better than most dramatic episodes of anything on NBC nowadays.

Edit: Beaten ^^^^

• Locked thread