Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

OldTennisCourt posted:

Silent Hill Downpour.

I just started and it feels really weird. Does the combat ever start to feel right? I love Silent Hill but the game feels sorta busted so far. I'm in the caves at this point.

In general, you can avoid most combat. This is old, so you're probably past the point, but look up the code to the green locker just after the caves, when you first get to the outskirts of the town. There's a double sided axe inside that you can keep for most of the game. Also, just look up the code for the door in the library to save some needless running around, likewise with any other coded doors.

Combat never really feels right, but you get used to it. I recently got the platinum trophy for Downpour, and the thread's closed, so if you have any other questions ask away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009
Sengoku by Paradox Interactive. Got it as a Steam gift and I have no clue what I'm doing.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

In Dungeon Siege III should I do the DLC right when it opens up or should I wait til closer to the end of the game?

There's a point in the game where you're given a couple of crises to handle simultaneously, and you get the choice of which order to tackle them in. I think the DLC is best handled as part of that set.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Anything for Of Orcs And Men?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Male Man posted:

There's a point in the game where you're given a couple of crises to handle simultaneously, and you get the choice of which order to tackle them in. I think the DLC is best handled as part of that set.

Yeah, I ended up doing it in the middle of the two, I'm on the final boss now. I'll second it for anyone who has the same question in the future though. It's a shame the game is so criminally under rated.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
I got Dishonored for Christmas! Anything I should know?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

crime fighting hog posted:

I got Dishonored for Christmas! Anything I should know?

SpazmasterX posted:

-As said before, the second level of Blink is supremely useful.
-Only turn off objective markers and stuff if you enjoy that sort of experience. It really doesn't ruin anything if you can locate secret doodads more easily
-Bone charms are generated randomly. They'll always be in the same place, but you won't always get the same one. I think it's done at the start of the game though, so don't trying save scumming or something.
-The bone charm capcacity upgrades are very useful
-If going non-lethal, don't bother with gun upgrades for obvious reasons. Crossbow upgrades (except bolt capacity) are what you want for sleep-darting.
-Don't bother with lethal powers either, of course. Blink, Slow Time, Dark Vision, Possession, and Agility are your bread and butter
-Slow time's first level is almost useless in a non-lethal run, but it's second level is Stop Time and it is super useful.
-The first mask upgrade also functions like a directional microphone and can pick up conversations from a distance if you're zoomed in on the NPCs.
-I don't know if they patched it yet, but there's a bug involving a certain elderly NPC that can gently caress up a non-lethal run. You can avoid it by simply not doing her side-quest when she first shows up.
-Incidentally, that side quest sounds like it would count toward your lethals, but it doesn't.
-You don't have to kill a single person in the game. There are ways to eliminate targets without killing them and the game doesn't go out of its way to hide them. Look and listen.
-There's a sidequest in the first real mission that can be a little confusing for some people. You have to get a person to safety. This involves saving them in the first place, then knocking them out and carrying them to a specified dumpster marked with a waypoint.
-There's a bug (again, don't know if patched) that actually does this for you. Non-vague spoilers forthwith:Save from the rafters after switching/dumping the glasses, then reload after the dialogue involving them. When you reload, there's a good chance all the NPCs will just charge out and the one that needed saving will automatically save himself.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Bigass Moth posted:

What should I know about Resident Evil 6 without any spoilers?

The game was recently patched to add in camera FOV options, available from the main options menu (i.e., not adjustable when you're already in-game as far as I can tell). You definitely want to change the general FOV slider from its default setting, because it's terrible as-is.

Although you have significantly more control over you character, RE6's gameplay is not dramatically different from other recent entries in the series. Shoot people in the head or knee to stagger them and then run up to them and do melee. Don't play it like a cover shooter.

Leon's campaign is listed first and it starts with a lot of scripted behaviors that disable the full range of your options for the first ten minutes or so, which can be problematic when trying to learn the game.
The game doesn't come with a manual and has a lot of stuff that isn't immediately apparent. Once you have full control of your character (generally, once you're fighting enemies with Leon, or from the get-go with the other characters), take some time to play around with different actions and combinations of actions and get a feel for what you can do.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
What should I know to make Dark Souls as unpainful an experience to play well on PC as possible? Fixes, mods, tips that aren't on the wiki, etc. I already have a USB controller.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Colon V posted:

What should I know to make Dark Souls as unpainful an experience to play well on PC as possible? Fixes, mods, tips that aren't on the wiki, etc. I already have a USB controller.

Download DSFix, turn off in-game anti-aliasing, read as little as possible about the game.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Other than DSFix there's nothing PC-specific you need to know for the game. Pick the Master Key for your starting gift, never waste any points on Resistance, it's a terrible and possibly broken stat.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Colon V posted:

- Thanks to DSFix, you can override textures to replace button prompt icons with either the 360 or PS3 buttons. Find DSFix and everything else essential in the PC thread OP.
- Feel free to explore right from the start, but the way you really ought to go is up toward the aqueduct.
- Don't neglect endurance and vitality. Vitality gives you considerably more breathing room to take hits and endurance not only ups your carry capacity, but lenghtens your stamina bar and thus your combos between shield-up periods.
- In the weapon stat screen, the letter ranks next to the stat icons at the bottom describe how much extra oomph the weapon gains from having a lot of points to that stat. Big instruments gain from strength, delicate thrusting weapons gain from dexterity. Two-handing weapons only changes the moveset and gives you effective 150% strength.
- Stability for shields is the % amount of damage that gets absorbed before the rest hits your stamina. Poise for armor determines how easily you flinch and get interrupted from taking an unblocked hit.
- Buckler-type shields suck at taking hits, but are much easier to parry with. They all have the same flourish-y animation.
- Having one point of liquid humanity increases your item drop rate by a whole lot. The next nine points give about as much in total as the first one.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Dec 26, 2012

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Don't get the Master Key as a starting gift on your first playthrough. The Master Key allows you to sequence break and stumble into areas you don't have to go into yet. It can also be pretty confusing if you don't already know where the game wants you to go.

Pick the black firebombs instead, they're consumables which will help you out with some of your first boss fights. Also invest in Strength and Dexterity for your first couple of level ups. 16 Strength and 14 Dexterity will let you try out a wide variety of weapons so you can experiment and see what setup you like the best.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Pick the pendant, the creator of the game himself said that it is very important.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Pick the pendant, the creator of the game himself said that it is very important.

Has anyone picked the game's code apart to find out if anything is linked to the pendant? I know people do it with stuff like Minecraft all the time, but obviously Dark Souls is a little more complex.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

A shrubbery! posted:

Has anyone picked the game's code apart to find out if anything is linked to the pendant? I know people do it with stuff like Minecraft all the time, but obviously Dark Souls is a little more complex.

Yes, if you give it to the crow you get something that's actually useful back in return. :v:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/11/06/dark-souls-creator-reveals-the-true-power-of-the-pendant/ :darksouls:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Here are some things I wish I knew when I started playing The Witcher 2:

* Delete your outdated save files constantly. The game autosaves often and never overwrites the saves. This starts to affect your game performance very quickly. Ideally, you shouldn't have to scroll through your save games list at all.

* The game's combat system takes inspiration from Dark Souls and the like more than it does from conventional RPG's. That means you need to roll around. A lot. The moment I realized I could just let most guys swing, roll, then flank and shank them instead of slugging it out made combat SO much easier.

* If you're having trouble with a particular opponent at the start of the game, you always have the basic options of: rolling behind them and backstabbing / hitting them with the Aard sign and whaling on them while they stagger (if a shield guy is hit with the Aard and goes down on one knee, roll behind him, otherwise you'll still hit the shield) / get the riposte talent, then block and riposte when prompted.

* Enemy Quen can't really be dispelled. You have to wait it out (or better yet, disrupt them with an Aard as they try to cast it)

* Get the Riposte talent. You want the basic Swordsmanship path talents regardless of your build, but more importantly, there are a number of sections where you're playing a different character, and riposte is the only Witcher skill you have that carries over.

* Do you see all those "Bonus to X when poisoned" talents in the Alchemy tree? "Poisoned" means "Under the effects of a potion."

* Make sure you destroy 5 training dummies in Foltest's camp in the prologue, then destroy another 5 anywhere in Floatsam for a minor but important bonus.

* When you've fired the ballista in the prologue, find and examine a corpse near a nearby haystack for another neat bonus.

* When you arrive at Floatsam, you are invited to visit the commander. Doing so will give you a fairly good armor and silver sword design, so that should probably be the first thing you do before you go out and do some sidequests.

* Whenever you need to gather certain alchemical ingredients for a particular quest, drop them off into a storage chest (you get one at any inn) as you gather them. The game does NOT make an exception for quest items when preparing potions, and will happily use them up, leaving you screwed. So keep one copy of: Endrega embryo, Troll Tongue, Arachas Eye, Essence of Death, Queen endrega's pheromones and Bullivore Brain. Your stored items transfer from chapter to chapter.

* Your basic potion list when exploring should be some combination of: Swallow (health regeneration), Gadwall (high health regeneration, can be combined with Swallow), Tawny Owl (high vigor regeneration), Rook (+sword damage) and Petri's Philter (+ sign damage). The other potions are bit situational (though they can be quite good when combined with the alchemist's tree "greater potion bonuses, lesser potion disadvantages" talents).

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Dec 26, 2012

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Anything I should know for Suikoden Tierkreis?

JoaoLangston
Jul 24, 2006
Are there any good mods for Dead Rising 2: Off the Record? I tried using Google and searching through Steam but my eyes were bleeding after several seconds.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Checked the wiki, anything else I should know for Divinity II (Developers Cut)?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Developer's Cut just adds some bonus materials like dev interviews and access to the command console, so you'll be fine with info from the non-Developer's Cut version.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Static Rook posted:

In general, you can avoid most combat. This is old, so you're probably past the point, but look up the code to the green locker just after the caves, when you first get to the outskirts of the town. There's a double sided axe inside that you can keep for most of the game. Also, just look up the code for the door in the library to save some needless running around, likewise with any other coded doors.

Combat never really feels right, but you get used to it. I recently got the platinum trophy for Downpour, and the thread's closed, so if you have any other questions ask away.

I looked up the code for the lockers. Ended up with the ax and nail gun. Honestly the game was pretty bad. I wanted to like it and it had it's moments but jesus christ the frame rate was atrocious and the story was incredibly bland, especially the gigantic copout of a good ending.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Flame112 posted:

Are there any sweet mods for KoTOR1? I just picked up both in the sale. I know there's that new-ish restored content mod for the second one, but I don't know of anything for the first.

Can't find the link right now (posting from my phone), but definitely find the one that makes headgear invisible. They usually have pretty good stat boosts or effects, but every single one looks retarded. Especially once you start wearing Jedi robes.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

OldTennisCourt posted:

I looked up the code for the lockers. Ended up with the ax and nail gun. Honestly the game was pretty bad. I wanted to like it and it had it's moments but jesus christ the frame rate was atrocious and the story was incredibly bland, especially the gigantic copout of a good ending.

Yeah, it's a pretty underwhelming experience. I sorta, kinda got over the framerate stuff but the needlessly long puzzles to get door codes and dumb endings made me glad I just rented it.

I'm about to start playing 3D Dot Game Heroes. Anything I should know? Other than knowing it's "like old Zelda" I'm going in blind.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Static Rook posted:

Yeah, it's a pretty underwhelming experience. I sorta, kinda got over the framerate stuff but the needlessly long puzzles to get door codes and dumb endings made me glad I just rented it.

I'm about to start playing 3D Dot Game Heroes. Anything I should know? Other than knowing it's "like old Zelda" I'm going in blind.

If you care about achievements, there are a lot of missables with small windows. Otherwise it's a pretty straight forward game.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
Just started playing Mass Effect. I checked the wiki, which gives some contradictory information. I have some specific questions.

1. I know somehow characters and decisions persist through the sequels. Will certain decisions end up costing me a lot of story in sequels? E.g., if you let such-and-such die, you miss a lot of cool dialogue/backstory/quests.

2. If you do multiple playthroughs with one character, can you complete multiple ally achievements? Do they all persist in the sequel?

3. For that matter, does any amount of min/maxing or achievements apply in any significant way to the sequels, or do you get a somewhat fresh start in terms of your character?

4. For party composition, how important is diversity? I'm really digging Wrex's and Garrus' dialogue, but they're kind of redundant for my soldier.

5. Can you switch Shepard's class on a subsequent playthrough without starting from scratch? I know soldier is supposedly the easiest for the first game, but is there any big story/content advantage to choosing a different class?

For background, my main interest in an RPG is usually getting the most story content. I generally don't have time for more than one or two playthroughs on most games these days, so I try to get the most out of each run. This often involves min/maxing mainly to unlock the maximum dialogue. I'm willing to do fetch quests if they unlock something really useful, new quests, etc. but not for crap like development artwork or something equally inane.

Conversely, if I'm not going to miss much by just pursuing stories/missions without trying to find every hidden piece of debris on each planet, then I'll just press forward.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Derek Dominoe posted:

Just started playing Mass Effect. I checked the wiki, which gives some contradictory information. I have some specific questions.

1. I know somehow characters and decisions persist through the sequels. Will certain decisions end up costing me a lot of story in sequels? E.g., if you let such-and-such die, you miss a lot of cool dialogue/backstory/quests.

2. If you do multiple playthroughs with one character, can you complete multiple ally achievements? Do they all persist in the sequel?

3. For that matter, does any amount of min/maxing or achievements apply in any significant way to the sequels, or do you get a somewhat fresh start in terms of your character?

4. For party composition, how important is diversity? I'm really digging Wrex's and Garrus' dialogue, but they're kind of redundant for my soldier.

5. Can you switch Shepard's class on a subsequent playthrough without starting from scratch? I know soldier is supposedly the easiest for the first game, but is there any big story/content advantage to choosing a different class?

For background, my main interest in an RPG is usually getting the most story content. I generally don't have time for more than one or two playthroughs on most games these days, so I try to get the most out of each run. This often involves min/maxing mainly to unlock the maximum dialogue. I'm willing to do fetch quests if they unlock something really useful, new quests, etc. but not for crap like development artwork or something equally inane.

Conversely, if I'm not going to miss much by just pursuing stories/missions without trying to find every hidden piece of debris on each planet, then I'll just press forward.

1. Not really. You'll miss some cool little things, but no individual choice really has a big effect on any of the games.

2. No, they don't persist in the sequel.

3. I think if you go into the next game at max level it starts you off slightly ahead of a fresh character.

4. If you aren't having trouble with enemies then it's fine.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Derek Dominoe posted:

Aim for Paragon or Renegade, don't try to take the middle ground. Some conversation options near the end of the game require an insanely high rating in either.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The biggest thing in the first game is Wrex. One of two characters will die automatically but Wrex is the only recurring character with a noticeable presence in later games who can be killed off entirely. You'll need a decent paragon/renegade rating to save him so above all stick to one and don't deviate.

Combat in ME1 can either be really hard or stupidly easy. If you run into the open bionic enemies will stunlock and kill you instantly but enemy AI is dumb and will run in straight lines so find a choke point and hold it, you can't lose.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Derek Dominoe posted:

1.) Nothing huge. While choices you make are referenced, it's more of a, "Hey, remember that time we did that thing?" So if you choose to let a character die, for any important quests, they usually get replaced by generic NPCs.

2.) I believe if you hit a million spacebucks, it unlocks some higher end weapons, and it carries over across characters. Personally, I found dealing with the crappy inventory system not worth the hassle.

3.) You get a bit of bonus XP and some of your paragon/renegade alignment carries over into the sequels depending on your level and alignment. If you're worried about it, you can go to https://www.masseffectsaves.com/ and grab a 100% completion shep with the choices you want. (Warning, whole lot of spoilers there.)

4.) It depends on the difficulty. My first time playing as a soldier, I usually had Tali and Liara in my party most of the time, just because their abilities complement the soldier's abilities pretty well. If you're killing stuff pretty easily with Garrus and Wrex, feel free to keep using them.

5.) Yep, Bioware made some pretty big changes to the way the different classes work in ME2, so when loading up a ME save in ME2 you get the option to switch classes. There's no real story changes between classes, it mostly affects combat.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
For your party members, just go with whoever you like best in ME1.
Party selection is a lot more important in ME2, and even then only on the higher difficulties, so unless you're really having trouble in combat, stick with whoever you like to have around instead of optimizing for gameplay.

As for Wrex; al-azad is right and you should aim to keep him alive. One foolproof way of doing this involves doing a very specific sidequest.
For the most part you can ignore most of the sidequests in ME1 (although I don't see why you should on your very first playthrough) as they can get a bit repetitive and generic. Notable exceptions are all sidequests given to you by your party members (make sure to talk to all of them between missions back on the Normandy!) and the one Admiral Hackett gives you that takes place on Luna.
There are some others that have notable callbacks in later games, but you wouldn't be missing out a great deal by skipping those.

As for the suggestion of sticking to either Paragon or Renegade; That's somewhat true; The game has kind of a silly system that rewards sticking to one side because some later dialogue checks will require a pretty huge amount of Charm or Intimidate. The lesson here in ME1 is to always keep one or two skill points after leveling up, so you can immediately invest them into Charm and Intimidate once new levels are available there (this can happen between leveling up!) The amount of points you can put into those skills depends on your P/R meter, which in turn fill up when you pick P/R dialogue choices.
I usually roll characters where I don't exclusively stick to one path, but I do usually end up with one meter being significantly higher than the other, so that usually leaves me with 12 points in one skill and 10 in the other. I do always put points in both skills and therefore I never run into a situation where I don't have at least one of the dialogue options available, but that means I have to invest 22 skill points just in the speech skills by the end of the game. If you want to invest those points in combat skills, you're better off sticking to one alignment exclusively (although I personally feel that this makes for a less satisfying experience, but YMMV).

One other thing: There's going to be a point of no return after you have completed the 4 main storyline missions. Make sure you have all the sidequests that involve going to or being on the Citadel done before you go past it (you will know once the point is about to hit if you know this).

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Dec 27, 2012

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

You could just google the "infinite paragon/renegade points glitch" and use that.

Generally, I found that keeping people alive adds a bit of extra content to the sequels where they pop up for a "remember me? You sure didn't kill me the last time around!" bit, but if you're not fond of a particular character the first time around, their second appearance won't change that.

Don't play soldier, period. It's just boring as hell. Play a space wizard, or a space ninja.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

JoaoLangston posted:

Are there any good mods for Dead Rising 2: Off the Record? I tried using Google and searching through Steam but my eyes were bleeding after several seconds.

-You can grind money/PP in sandbox mode if you want and it'll transfer over to the storyline.

-The beam sword (gems + flashlight), defiler (fire axe + sledgehammer) and knife gloves (knife + boxing gloves) are all very powerful, give decent PP amounts and are easy to make weapons.

-Survivors are considerable more self-reliant then in DR1. Just give em a decent weapon and they'll be fine. The game will let you know when they're too far away to follow you into the next loading screen too.

-Survivors also have infinite ammo when using a gun.

-The items in or near a maintenance room generally can be combined, so that should be a hint for some of the combo weapons.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Does anyone have any advice for Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Kleptobot posted:

Sengoku by Paradox Interactive. Got it as a Steam gift and I have no clue what I'm doing.

This is from a bit back, but check out the Paradox Megathread for details and help. Sadly, the biggest piece of advice will be "play Crusader Kings II instead." Sengoku was essentially a tech demo for CKII, from what I understand.

If you get CKII and get stuck there, read Kersh's LP. Really, do that anyway. You'll get a sense of how Paradox games play.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Derek Dominoe posted:

People hit on most of this but heres a little more.

2 & 3: Ally Achievements dont carry over at all. As people said, level+P/R points give a bonus and the money achievement gives you some extra minerals and credits to start off in ME2.

4: Choose whoever you want but Garrus with the ability to unlock doors/etc maxed out helps.

5: Bioware didnt want class factor in to the story (Shepard will never use biotics in cutscenes) so its not even mentioned ever, play what you want.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

The Moon Monster posted:

Does anyone have any advice for Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey?
I found SJ to be pretty straight forward. If you dig up the old thread, you'll find some nice passwords for some good demons. But be careful, since they can get pricey. On that front, the search points are the best way to net money so don't ignore them too much.

Prepare yourself for Sector E. It's a doozy. If all else fails, the maps on Gamefaqs are quite comprehensive.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I picked up Krater, and I'm a bit confused by the party system. Am I supposed to constantly be switching out characters? My starting characters max out at Rank 5, but apparently characters can go to rank 15? It doesn't explain it well in the tutorial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.
Any tips or information for Civilization V? This is my first time playing any of the 4X games and it's a bit overwhelming.