Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
#26 Uno's topknot danced as he continued to blaspheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I'm not so sure you needed to spoiler that one. So long as the character is alive, they'll be doing that.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Jedit posted:

I'm not so sure you needed to spoiler that one. So long as the character is alive, they'll be doing that.

It's still cool that we'll be seeing that character again after what, 10 books?

[edit] Okay, 6 books. Whatever!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
#27 "Peaches!" Rand said, aghast. Everyone knew those were poisonous.

C'mon guys, I'm on vacation and I'm still pasting these?????

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

api call girl posted:

#27 "Peaches!" Rand said, aghast. Everyone knew those were poisonous.

C'mon guys, I'm on vacation and I'm still pasting these?????

Oh god, Sword of Truth vibes here.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Velius posted:

Oh god, Sword of Truth vibes here.

I think we heard about peaches being poison in Eye of the World - it was one of those little things to emphasize that Randland was different from our world, before Jordan realized he didn't need to do that kind of thing, since having channeling, Shadowspawn, and bizarre Seanchan critters was enough of a difference.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME
Err, isn't there some "old wives tale" about peach pitts being poisonous? I wound think WoT is riffing on that

Edit: peach pits contain cyanide, so this is definitely a riff on a real life thing

Levitate fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Dec 23, 2012

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.
Some things (almonds I think) were poisonous, which was successfully bred out resulting in an edible crop. The Peaches are a backwards version. Only time is a wheel, so its cyclic. It is a neat detail.

E: And foreshadowing, since peaches are mentioned a couple times as super deadly.

Blind Melon fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 23, 2012

Recursive Expanse
May 4, 2011
Potatoes are another famous poisonous family of plants. They were favored as a poison by Roman nobility. It was either the Mayans or Incans who bred them to be edible.
This sounds like a response to someone actually eating peaches. I could totally see Mat stroll in eating a safe "Seanchan Peach".

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
For that matter, Graendal.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Peach was used in a poisoning attempt on Elayne somewhere in Books 8-10.

I also distinctly remember one of the forsaken making an offhand comment that "Peaches were poisonous, in this time" implying that they were edible in the Age of legends but weren't any more... perhaps they became more poisonous after civilization collapsed and the breeds of peach were left to their own devices? or some kind of side effect to the dark one's influence.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

"But this . . . this isn't about blacksmithing, Perrin . . ."
"Of course it is," Perrin said. How could Rand not see that?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

"Look, when you have a hammer in hand, everything looks like blacksmithing..."

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
The following line is "Perrin, I don't speak in loving metaphors."

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

Neurosis posted:

The following line is "Perrin, I don't speak in loving metaphors."

"Good, because this metaphor isn't about loving!"

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

“Didn’t you once lead a band of thieves out of this forest?”
Birgitte grimaced. “I was hoping you hadn’t heard that one.”

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

api call girl posted:

“Didn’t you once lead a band of thieves out of this forest?”
Birgitte grimaced. “I was hoping you hadn’t heard that one.”

Could only be Mat talking to her.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
This is kinda the catch all WoT thread right? I used to read the series but stoped right Path of Daggers came out because I just couldn't bring myself to finish it. I've sort of gathered that was the low point for the series and it got much better even before Sanderson took over. Is this true?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

This is kinda the catch all WoT thread right? I used to read the series but stoped right Path of Daggers came out because I just couldn't bring myself to finish it. I've sort of gathered that was the low point for the series and it got much better even before Sanderson took over. Is this true?

Yes. It all got much better and reading it all the way through now is very satisfying.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

You stopped about two books before what people really consider the 'low point', but now that you can continue onto 11-13 a lot of what was buildup pays off in ridiculously awesome ways. 11 was a great return to form, and Sanderson's books have both been among the better in the series.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
#30 Rand strode forward, lifting his arms out to the sides. Grass sprouted in waves, red blossoms burst from the ground like a blush upon the land. The storm stilled, the dark clouds burned away by light.

#31 A joyful song, a song of awe and wonder, though she could not understand the words.

These are almost certainly dreams.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

api call girl posted:

#30 Rand strode forward, lifting his arms out to the sides. Grass sprouted in waves, red blossoms burst from the ground like a blush upon the land. The storm stilled, the dark clouds burned away by light.

#31 A joyful song, a song of awe and wonder, though she could not understand the words.

These are almost certainly dreams.

I'm not so sure; the first one could be Rand's land-healing powers at work in the Blight and the second could be overheard during the first.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

zonohedron posted:

I'm not so sure; the first one could be Rand's land-healing powers at work in the Blight and the second could be overheard during the first.

Maybe the Tinkers finally find their song?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Ramadu posted:

Maybe the Tinkers finally find their song?

They'd better end up being important after all we've seen of them, considering they really haven't done much yet. Ah well, we'll find out soon.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
#32 He doesn't want to fight in Andor, Elayne thought. He doesn't want to fight alongside me. He wishes the break to be clean.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

api call girl posted:

#32 He doesn't want to fight in Andor, Elayne thought. He doesn't want to fight alongside me. He wishes the break to be clean.

Gonna guess he is Gawyn.

DeusVult
Mar 23, 2007
My guess is he's Rand again, after he's made his demands and going in to give up his life like he expects.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I doubt there can be a break when the three are still bonded to him. It's probably Gareth or Gawyn.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Well, I did it. Just went on Amazon.com and dropped over a hundred on the paperbacks, ToM and New Spring. Should come in the next couple weeks along with the last book.

Man. The last Wheel of Time book. The end of the series.

I started reading these things when I was 12. In my innocent youth, I was used to fantasy trilogies, and I'd heard of this one big monster of a series, just released its seventh book, and how it was pretty good, right? So I started reading, with the completely logical reasoning that anything story that took seven big books to tell had to be finished, right?

Heh. The caprice of youth.

This loving series. I know in these threads, a lot of criticisms been raised and funs been poked at its shallow points, the low ebbs, the stupid names and their pronunciation, the needless verboseness regarding food or fashion, the... interesting interpretations of Mr. Sweet's covers, and of course the thousands of pulled braids and smoothed skirts and arms crossed below the breast, but still... this is a watershed, folks. Robert Jordan has created a world completely unlike anything else in fantasy fiction, with separate histories and cultures for several countries. He's created characters that grow and change as we grew and changed. Jordan is more than a storyteller- he is a historian, a philosopher, and a poet. The story he created survived time, critics, the changing genre, and eventually, the man himself. And now, after 23 years, the story's ending, and I don't know how I feel about that. I probably won't until I read the last word on the last page. (And it's not going to be scar, so don't even start.)

But first, I'll have to wait for the deliveries to get here.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

api call girl posted:

I doubt there can be a break when the three are still bonded to him. It's probably Gareth or Gawyn.

Yeah, it's probably Gareth. That makes the most sense.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

resurgam40 posted:

Well, I did it. Just went on Amazon.com and dropped over a hundred on the paperbacks, ToM and New Spring. Should come in the next couple weeks along with the last book.

I started reading these things when I was 12. In my innocent youth, I was used to fantasy trilogies, and I'd heard of this one big monster of a series, just released its seventh book, and how it was pretty good, right? So I started reading, with the completely logical reasoning that anything story that took seven big books to tell had to be finished, right?

This loving series. I know in these threads, a lot of criticisms been raised and funs been poked at its shallow points, the low ebbs, the stupid names and their pronunciation, the needless verboseness regarding food or fashion, the... interesting interpretations of Mr. Sweet's covers, and of course the thousands of pulled braids and smoothed skirts and arms crossed below the breast, but still... this is a watershed, folks. Robert Jordan has created a world completely unlike anything else in fantasy fiction, with separate histories and cultures for several countries. He's created characters that grow and change as we grew and changed. Jordan is more than a storyteller- he is a historian, a philosopher, and a poet. The story he created survived time, critics, the changing genre, and eventually, the man himself. And now, after 23 years, the story's ending, and I don't know how I feel about that. I probably won't until I read the last word on the last page. (And it's not going to be scar, so don't even start.)

I bought every single book on Kindle (despite owning much of the series in HC already) and I'll undoubtedly buy AMoL in both print and electronic formats. Kindle (app, and also the cloud reader you can pop up in a browser) has made re-reading the series exceedingly easy.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

resurgam40 posted:

I'm fairly certain, when all is said and done, that the Wheel of Time is going to be the longest single work of fiction in the English language and possibly in any language. There are some series that are longer but they're generally character serials, not one unified plot arc.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Yeah, it's probably Gareth. That makes the most sense.

I said Gawyn because Elayne will have to come to terms with him being Egwene's warder and perhaps not being able to fulfill her expectations. She wants him to fight with Andor, he's like 'haha nope' because he'll be fighting by Egwene's side.

I wonder if I'll be right. Watch this space in two weeks!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm fairly certain, when all is said and done, that the Wheel of Time is going to be the longest single work of fiction in the English language and possibly in any language. There are some series that are longer but they're generally character serials, not one unified plot arc.

Did a bit of looking around out of curiosity, and found Tokugawa Ieyasu. It's a Japanese novel published in 40 volumes between 1951 and 1967.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

api call girl posted:

I bought every single book on Kindle (despite owning much of the series in HC already) and I'll undoubtedly buy AMoL in both print and electronic formats. Kindle (app, and also the cloud reader you can pop up in a browser) has made re-reading the series exceedingly easy.

I did my entire reread on kindle, and I'm so ticked that I have to buy the last book in hardcover because the kindle version doesn't come out for months. :mad:

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
I'm so mad about this because now wtf am I going to read in the bathroom at work?

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
I just always find it amusing that the only people they are hurting when they do things like that are the people that wanted to pay for it in the first place. It will not stop anyone that really wanted to get the book illegally.

Thankfully Sanderson is on the complete opposite end of the spectrum in this and embraces digital wholeheartedly and I buy his books on Kindle just to show support of it.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
I also makes me wonder how many people are just going to pirate the book when it comes out, rather than wait the year (or however long it is) for it to finally be released in digital format. There are lost sales that will be a direct result of this decision.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

syphon posted:

I also makes me wonder how many people are just going to pirate the book when it comes out, rather than wait the year (or however long it is) for it to finally be released in digital format. There are lost sales that will be a direct result of this decision.

They did it with the last book as well. Sanderson pushed heavily to get her to release the book digitally at the same time, and while not successful did manage to get it to just a couple of months or whatever after the hard copy (Harriet wanted to wait a year or so as you say).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Fintilgin posted:

I did my entire reread on kindle, and I'm so ticked that I have to buy the last book in hardcover because the kindle version doesn't come out for months. :mad:

You and probably everyone else on these forums. It's incredibly dumb and I have no idea why they let this woman dictate terms about how it gets released; everything I've hears about publishing is that authors have no say in anything regarding releases.

• Locked thread