Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
^Gorgeous colour!

So there's no way Dad's scarf will be done by tomorrow (drat southern hemisphere). At this stage it's going to be wrapped up still on the needles, wool and all, and I'll finish it once he's unwrapped it. Lucky I'm spending Christmas with them! I was doing so well, too. Hope I'm not the only one who's still behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

Nope, I'm not finishing my gift in time either. At least my brother's used to getting knit gifts from me late.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
I finished the 3 presents I was going to make, hurrah! Now I'm going to make a surprise hat for my husband as an after Christmas present. And by surprise I mean not surprise at all since he picked out the yarn and the pattern.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Gently Used Coat posted:

Nope, I'm not finishing my gift in time either. At least my brother's used to getting knit gifts from me late.

I'm hoping that I can spend a lot of time knitting at the airport (this will not happen).

Though I did make a scarf for my dad last year that was actually finished at the airport...

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

left_unattended posted:

So there's no way Dad's scarf will be done by tomorrow (drat southern hemisphere). At this stage it's going to be wrapped up still on the needles, wool and all, and I'll finish it once he's unwrapped it. Lucky I'm spending Christmas with them! I was doing so well, too. Hope I'm not the only one who's still behind.

My knitting mantra for Christmas has become: "Everything knit and done, carpal tunnel here I come."

Kinda wish I had the time to block some of the stuff, but we can't have everything. It would be hard without hands anyway.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
And it's over for another year, thank god. They loved their presents, although I was a bit peeved that they were more impressed by a bunch of dishcloths stitched together to make a sign than by the 4 foot long (admittedly unfinished) cabled scarf or the cables-and-lace neckwarmer :eyeroll:. Never mind. Merry Christmas all :)

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Last night I was finishing a scarf for someone at the Christmas party they hosted. I swore to god I was going to take pictures as soon as I finished it, and I totally forgot. God dammit. :sigh:

I think he really liked it, though. It was a simple ribbed pattern done in his team's colors.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs

Mizufusion posted:

Last night I was finishing a scarf for someone at the Christmas party they hosted. I swore to god I was going to take pictures as soon as I finished it, and I totally forgot. God dammit. :sigh:

I think he really liked it, though. It was a simple ribbed pattern done in his team's colors.

I like to think the better the project, the more we forget to photograph it! I sent my sister in law a replacement hat to the one she lost and my bro and her both iPad/Touchpad cases that I sewed. Forgot to photograph anything before wrapping it up! Then you feel like a doofus asking for a photograph of something you gifted!

Equality
Feb 26, 2007
Greetings knitting goons.

I recently took up knitting as a new hobby and have completed my first ever project!

I made a scarf from a pattern I found on Ravelry called Baktus. I learned how to increase and decrease during this project so I think it was a good way to get started.

My problem now is deciding how to continue. I wanted to make some mittens for my wife from a pattern called "Give a Hoot". Although it is listed as easy I am having a very hard time with it. I think it might just be too big a leap in skill for me.

Can anyone recommend a pattern that will challenge me but not make me want to stab my eyes out with my needles?

I have some beautiful yarn that works with size 8 needles I would like to use.

Thanks!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Let's look at it the other way around: you really want to make those mittens, so what part are you having trouble with? Knitting in the round? Cabling?

zamiel posted:

I like to think the better the project, the more we forget to photograph it! I sent my sister in law a replacement hat to the one she lost and my bro and her both iPad/Touchpad cases that I sewed. Forgot to photograph anything before wrapping it up! Then you feel like a doofus asking for a photograph of something you gifted!
I have the same issue but I'm shameless about asking for photos. Just say that you want a picture of the recipient enjoying it. Then it's not an oversight because it's something that you couldn't have done yourself.

Equality
Feb 26, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

Let's look at it the other way around: you really want to make those mittens, so what part are you having trouble with? Knitting in the round? Cabling?

Well I can't make it past the wrist part. I seem to be able to join the round so that I have 3 needles with 12 stitches each. After that I can do one good round of k1 p1. The biggest problem I have is on the second round everything seems too tight to knit with ease and especially the purls from the last round present trouble. I don't know why but they seem like double stitches(it's really one stitch with two loops if that makes sense?) and I have trouble getting under them to knit in the next stitch.

I don't know if that makes any sense... I was taught the continental method so I'm not sure if that's making it too difficult for me. Thanks for any advice in advance!

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
Are you using this pattern? I don't see the part where you have 36 stitches or k1p1 ribbing. Can you copypaste a few rows of directions around the part you're struggling with?

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Are you bringing the yarn forward between the needles before you make a purl stitch, and back between the needles before knitting? If not, you're inadvertently looping the yarn around the needle when you go between knits and purls (when you do this intentionally, it's called a yarn-over).

Equality
Feb 26, 2007

Charmmi posted:

Are you using this pattern? I don't see the part where you have 36 stitches or k1p1 ribbing. Can you copypaste a few rows of directions around the part you're struggling with?

I'm using a similar pattern: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/give-a-hoot

"BOTH HANDS: Using smaller needles, cast on 36 sts. Join for working in the rnd, being careful not to twist stitches. PM indicating beginning of rnd. Work in K1, p1 ribbing for 24 rnds"

Here I understood k1 p1 ribbing to be knit one, purl one:repeat for 24 rounds... am I supposed to do one round knit one round purl?

Drei posted:

Are you bringing the yarn forward between the needles before you make a purl stitch, and back between the needles before knitting? If not, you're inadvertently looping the yarn around the needle when you go between knits and purls (when you do this intentionally, it's called a yarn-over).

I think so, for a purl the yarn is in front of my needle, for a stitch it is behind the needle. I did YOs for increasing on the scarf i just made. Maybe now that I am using 4 needles at a time i'm getting screwed up...

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
No, you're right about k1p1 ribbing, it's knit one stitch, purl one stitch etc. If you were making accidental yarnovers you'd also be increasing your stitch count.

Is it possible that knitting with four needles is making you tense up and therefore knit more tightly than normal? If so just relax and remember you're really only knitting with two needles at a time, the other ones are really just stitch holders until you get to them.

Also, maybe post a picture?

Equality
Feb 26, 2007
Well it turns out I was purling wrong and ending up with increases just like Drei said. I'm going to make an easy baby hat today and get back to the mittens after that.

I do have another question!

If I'm doing a scarf and I start a new row of knitting or purling do I knit/purl the first stitch or just lift it off? for my scarf I always went underneath and lifted the first stitch off but that was all knitting and no purling.

Thanks again for your help guys!

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for
I think it depends on the pattern. Some patterns will call for you to slip the first stitch (transfer the stitch from your left to right needle without knitting or purling it) and some will call for you knit or purl it.

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

I found slipping the first stitch leaves an edge that is nice to crochet on, if you want to edge something. Otherwise I tend not to bother.

Tacohead
Oct 24, 2009

exactly the same

Waddley Hasselhoff posted:

I think it depends on the pattern. Some patterns will call for you to slip the first stitch (transfer the stitch from your left to right needle without knitting or purling it) and some will call for you knit or purl it.

I learned something from my X-mas knitting this year: I made two Begbie Cowls for my sister and learned that on the back/pearl side if it says to slip the first stitch, and doesn't elaborate "as if to pearl" that you should just go ahead and do that... I couldn't figure out why it looked so weird on that one side until I was almost done and unwilling to frog. Since I made two the other one turned out perfectly. HUZZAH! I forgot to take pictures but I really loved the pattern, though I would alter it to be a bit longer for my fat neck since the pattern calls for the whole skein: FYI fats.

Do ya'll think that it's a safe assumption to make when slipping? Front to knit, back to pearl? This was the first time that I followed a pattern that didn't specify and it threw me off. Seems like common sense stuff but I assumed it could be some kind of knitting witchy-craftery I'd never come across.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Sometimes it'll say "slip as if to knit." If it just says to slip, then do it without changing stitch orientation, i.e. as if to purl.

e: Heads-up that Knitpicks has a big sale going on. I'm not a huge fan of theirs, but there was enough I wanted to sample that I just dropped $90 of Christmas money :downs:

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Dec 27, 2012

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
Tin Can Knits is doing a customer appreciation pattern giveaway, good until Jan.1st. http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=ac55a87e0c49ad678b42da26a&id=06f9d3b1f1&e=2142fa682a

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!

Fionnoula posted:

Tin Can Knits is doing a customer appreciation pattern giveaway, good until Jan.1st. http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=ac55a87e0c49ad678b42da26a&id=06f9d3b1f1&e=2142fa682a

Ooh, thank you for this! I received some lace yarn for Christmas and I just so happened to be looking at the Sunflower Shawl for potential projects to use it with. I guess that's a sign :D

stab stabby
Mar 23, 2009
I knit this fox scarf yesterday, only modified for bulky yarn.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

stab stabby posted:

That is amazing and I totally want to make one. It reminds me of the fox from The Little Prince :3

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie

stab stabby posted:

That is so cool! Crap, my queue is growing at an alarming rate.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
Fiesta yarn has been doing free pattern Thursday lately, and i keep forgetting to post! So this week's pattern is an interesting shawl pattern. I've also seen this done on a scarf, but think it'd be more for lookies than warm.

http://fiestayarns.com/store/items/view/1610/airy_shawl/ coupon code FP1227 You can sign up for their mailing list and get the notification every Thursday morning.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
Didn't do much knitting for Christmas this year.
I found the pattern that was used to make my stocking far too many years ago and made one for my son:

I call this picture "fuckintarsia.jpg":

My son's teacher has a seizure sniffing dog. I made him a sweater and then panicked insanely when the teacher told me that she also knits. When I gave it to her, she was super excited because "I could never make a dog sweater - all I can do is knit and purl and everything is a rectangle!" He has been wearing it every day under his service vest because it's been chilly here and he's tiny and gets cold easily.

And finally a matching mother/son owl hats (forgot to take a picture of the mother one) for the GoonMoms Secret Santa. Modeled by my son before sending it:

I'm still working on my mom's cardigan. I ended up sticking the back and two front pieces I had completed in time for Christmas into a gift bag and giving it to her as a "look! I made you a do-it-yourself vest! Just sew these together, it'll be fine!" joke. I've since finished 1 sleeve and I'm working on the other one right now. Then I just need to do the button band and finish construction. It's the re-su katabira from Knit Kimono Too. Easy but I'm having boredom issues with it so I keep finding reasons to put it down.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:

Fionnoula posted:

My son's teacher has a seizure sniffing dog. I made him a sweater and then panicked insanely when the teacher told me that she also knits. When I gave it to her, she was super excited because "I could never make a dog sweater - all I can do is knit and purl and everything is a rectangle!" He has been wearing it every day under his service vest because it's been chilly here and he's tiny and gets cold easily.

This is cute as heck and that is a very elegant dog sweater.

Tacohead
Oct 24, 2009

exactly the same

Anne Whateley posted:

Sometimes it'll say "slip as if to knit." If it just says to slip, then do it without changing stitch orientation, i.e. as if to purl.

Thank you so much!

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

Fionnula, is that the Candide stocking pattern? I've been looking for a copy of it and can't find one - my husband's grandmother passed it down to me, but I had to send it on to his aunt so that she could make one for her new grandchild and I didn't have time to make a copy first. (This copy was quite old and yellowed).

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

TastesLikeChicken posted:

Fionnula, is that the Candide stocking pattern? I've been looking for a copy of it and can't find one - my husband's grandmother passed it down to me, but I had to send it on to his aunt so that she could make one for her new grandchild and I didn't have time to make a copy first. (This copy was quite old and yellowed).

It's actually an old Bernat kit that someone got hold of, scanned in, and uploaded to Ravelry.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/santa-claus-stocking

If you do make it, I recommend using this woman's new pattern for the candy cane section, as the candy canes in the original come out looking funky as hell (nothing like they look on the picture from the kit - look at the other projects, they all look like poo poo). I used the changes in mine and I'm quite happy with them. http://www.ravelry.com/projects/OctopusKnits/santa-claus-stocking-3

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

I made two scarves for Christmas. They were both my first projects. I made this one for my sister:

She's 14 and those are her high school colors. I learned a lot while making it and when I say a lot, I mean a lot of really simple things that probably should have been obvious to me or explained in some sort of book.

This one was for my husband who requested it as soon as I was done with the other one. He picked out his own yarn and I followed a pattern that I found on Ravelry.

Now I want to move on to something a little more difficult but I'm not quite sure what yet. I want to explore patterns both with color and with knitting styles, but a lot of things I see look intimidating. Maybe I'll try knitting in the round next.

Anyone have any suggestions for harder than scarves but not demoralizingly difficult projects?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Cowls are nice to move on to, they're basically round scarves so that won't be too far out of your comfort zone and you'll learn knitting in the round. If you're feeling particularly bold you could probably find something with some easy lace too. Other than that a hat is a good go-to for a first round thing too.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

innocent_deadly posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for harder than scarves but not demoralizingly difficult projects?

In addition to the above: mitts or rather fingerless mittens. You don't have to worry about holding stitches for the fingers except for the thumb, and there are some that even leave off adding any additional thumb too.

Really, in having the patience to finish two scarves I doubt anything else will be too challenging.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
If you want a fingerless mitt but are afraid of knitting in the round, or having major problems with it, or can't afford them quite yet don't fret!! These are super simple. They're knit up in a rectangle after taking measurements, then seamed up the side with a small hole for the thumb :) Oh, and I made mine with bulky weight yarn, any weight will work if you just do your measurements and swatching! Just remember, if your cast on is tight, make that the hand side up if you're not stick thin! This was the first project I get lots of compliments on when the yarn did all the work (variegated tonal pinks) AND I Found out I'm allergic to alpaca :D

Lady Xava
Dec 1, 2006
Finally finished a thing! It's the windmill bag from Ravelry

(http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/windmill-bag).

Pretty sure someone had posted a link to this earlier in the Thread and it seemed like a really easy non scarf project. I had a lot of fun knitting this and it turned out pretty good for the my first time following a pattern. Now to figure out my next project!

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

Just finished a boob hat for a friend whose in-laws don't approve of her breastfeeding... she's going to put it on her baby every time they come visit!

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Lady Xava posted:

Finally finished a thing! It's the windmill bag from Ravelry

(http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/windmill-bag).

Pretty sure someone had posted a link to this earlier in the Thread and it seemed like a really easy non scarf project. I had a lot of fun knitting this and it turned out pretty good for the my first time following a pattern. Now to figure out my next project!

That looks really good! That pattern has been in m queue forever because I love the shape of the bag and the way it looks, but I think I'd get bored with that much garter stitch. I have some cool yarn that I want to try it with too, but I'm not sure I'll have enough. I just keep finding excuses not to knit it, even thought I really really want the finished product. :sigh:

That boob hat is hilarious. I love knitting things that are crude and/or offensive.

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.

Helanna posted:

Just finished a boob hat for a friend whose in-laws don't approve of her breastfeeding... she's going to put it on her baby every time they come visit!

This is awesome. And good on your friend!

Also thank you to everyone who suggested yarns earlier on in the thread for my animal fibre allergic friend. I ended up going for bamboo cotton which I'm currently knitting up into some gloves and a scarf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Helanna posted:

Oh lol, that is awesome.

What kind of a person doesn't approve of breast feeding? The hell?