Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

InternetJunky posted:

I drove more than 10 hours today and the temperatures were below -30, but still managed to get a keeper shot of the Northern Hawk Owl:

:woop:

This is clearly a styrofoam owl you impaled on a branch. No feet!?

Seriously-that's a killer shot of a fantastic bird. Worth the drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

InternetJunky posted:

I drove more than 10 hours today and the temperatures were below -30, but still managed to get a keeper shot of the Northern Hawk Owl:

:woop:

That's an awesome shot. Also, I hate you (if only for the fact that you live in an area that appears to be in perpetual magic hour this time of year).

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:sigh: There was a huge flock of gulls feeding on the river this afternoon and I stopped quick to see if I could get some interesting photos. Dummy me forgot that I should be shooting birds at like 1/1000 or so. :negative: I managed to save a few, but so many blurry birds.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

BeastOfExmoor posted:

That's an awesome shot. Also, I hate you (if only for the fact that you live in an area that appears to be in perpetual magic hour this time of year)
Thanks! The trade-off to perma-magic hour is that we get 7 hours of sunlight and -30 temps.

Casu Marzu posted:

:sigh: There was a huge flock of gulls feeding on the river this afternoon and I stopped quick to see if I could get some interesting photos. Dummy me forgot that I should be shooting birds at like 1/1000 or so. :negative: I managed to save a few, but so many blurry birds.

Nice gull shots. I have lost so many shots because of the wrong settings (most of my Hawk Owl shots are crap because I had my AF on servo and was focusing on the eyes and recomposing :( ). The gull with the blurred wings is actually a pretty nice effect, intended or not.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
Little something from earlier in the year...

White-breasted Cormorant (Phalacrocorax lucidus) [EXPLORED] by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Hover-bird!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
/\/\/\ Awesome.
More gulls.

SD 109 Southernmost 61 by Execudork, on Flickr

A while ago I thought I'd turn some of my photos into bookmarks - I should be able to fit a set of them on a single 8x12 print, then cut them out.

SD 109 Southernmost 62 by Execudork, on Flickr

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010

ExecuDork posted:

A while ago I thought I'd turn some of my photos into bookmarks - I should be able to fit a set of them on a single 8x12 print, then cut them out.

That sounds like a stellar idea. I might have to steal that idea off you next time there is a gift giving occasion.

In other news. I found out I live 30 mins from a bird reservation at the local estuary.

Bar-tailed Godwit

Trambopaline fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Dec 14, 2012

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
I'm jealous of all you guys with snowy birds and sea birds. (These are all cropped a bunch.)

Have a Loggerhead Shrike

DSC_1526 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

A 1st year White-crowned Sparrow

DSC_1509 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

Dark-eyed Junco

DSC_1407 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

A standoffish Crissal Thrasher

DSC_1616 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

And a male Northern Harrier that I spooked right after this picture

DSC_1575 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

My wife and I sat in -10 temperatures today for a few hours trying to capture a Prairie Falcon or Gyrfalcon feeding on pigeons at a grain terminal and ended up with lots of crappy pictures of crows and pigeons. Solidly frozen, we then decided to go driving looking for snowy owls, and a few hours later that was a failed mission as well.

On the way back home my wife spotted a snowy on a light pole on the busiest road in town, and while doing a turn at an off-ramp to go back she then spotted a great horned owl. After a few crappy perches he finally came to rest on a lower perch right at golden hour:

We never did get to the snowy. :)

ExecuDork posted:

SD 109 Southernmost 62 by Execudork, on Flickr
This is a great idea that I'm shamelessly stealing.

Ghost Cactus posted:

And a male Northern Harrier that I spooked right after this picture

DSC_1575 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr
Nice pictures, but do what you can to get some eye contact if possible. It's a shame that harrier spooked as that is a dreamy background and cool sign post it was on.

Farrok
May 29, 2006

Heard some Stellar's Jays yelling at each other outside this morning, so I got a few shots of them. Eventually, one decided to sit in a tree for a bit and I was able to get some good shots of him. Just got a 100-300mm lens a couple weeks ago for birding purposes, so this was a pretty fun and convenient first attempt!

Also, anyone know what this guy is?

YellowSomething by bwsprague, on Flickr

What?

Stellar's Jay 1_resized by bwsprague, on Flickr

Stellar's Jay 2_resized by bwsprague, on Flickr

Stellar's Jay 4_resized by bwsprague, on Flickr

Stellar's Jay 5_resized by bwsprague, on Flickr

Stellar's Jay 6_resized by bwsprague, on Flickr

Stellar's Jay 7_resized by bwsprague, on Flickr

Bird feet!

Stellar's Jay 3_resized by bwsprague, on Flickr

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

InternetJunky posted:

Nice pictures, but do what you can to get some eye contact if possible. It's a shame that harrier spooked as that is a dreamy background and cool sign post it was on.

Thanks for the tip, I'll do my best. I'm really un-stealthy, and most of my pictures are of birds flying off, or of the perch where a bird just was. Definitely something I need to work on.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Farrok posted:

Heard some Stellar's Jays yelling at each other outside this morning, so I got a few shots of them. Eventually, one decided to sit in a tree for a bit and I was able to get some good shots of him. Just got a 100-300mm lens a couple weeks ago for birding purposes, so this was a pretty fun and convenient first attempt!

Also, anyone know what this guy is?

YellowSomething by bwsprague, on Flickr

Male Townsend's Warbler.

I brought my camera long on the Audubon Christmas Bird Count today.

Krakauer_20121216_Black&WhiteWarbler1, on Flickr

birding in a cemetary

Krakauer_20121216_RedBreastedSapsucker, on Flickr

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Male Townsend's Warbler.

I brought my camera long on the Audubon Christmas Bird Count today.

Krakauer_20121216_Black&WhiteWarbler1, on Flickr

birding in a cemetary

Krakauer_20121216_RedBreastedSapsucker, on Flickr

I can't even imagine where you live that you saw a B&W Warbler and RB Sapsucker on the CBC.

There's been two Snowy Owls roosting on Rooftops just a few miles from downtown Seattle recently. Here's on of them:

Ballard Snowy Owl by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Edmonds Surf Scoters by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I can't even imagine where you live that you saw a B&W Warbler and RB Sapsucker on the CBC.
This was near Berkeley, CA (Bay area). The B&W was definitely a "write-up" bird- doubly nice to get close photos of a pretty species that you need to document. I also got pics of our only two White-throated sparrows sitting right next to each other. For a moment I could pretend I was back on the east coast.

Pretty nice day of birding overall: our group saw 111 species in ~1 square mile.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

There's been two Snowy Owls roosting on Rooftops just a few miles from downtown Seattle recently. Here's on of them:

Ballard Snowy Owl by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Feel free to send one of those further south.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

A couple of snowys from today. I saw 3 in total, including one on a natural perch that I couldn't get to :argh:, but so far I have yet to see an all-white male. I've driven on every country road I can find.

There are a group of guys going around banding the snowys right now, and when they catch one they paint the head red so they know it has been banded. Very annoying if you're trying to get a nice photo!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
/\/\/\ :drat:

SD 109 Southernmost 128 by Execudork, on Flickr
Pacific Gull

SD 110 Tasmanian Highlands 50 by Execudork, on Flickr
Black Currawong (doing a Superman impression, with bonus obnoxious noises)

SD 110 Tasmanian Highlands 65 by Execudork, on Flickr
Not sure - apparently the more-common Tasmanian Swallows and Martins look very similar.

SD 110 Tasmanian Highlands 101 by Execudork, on Flickr
Superb Fairy Wren, at 1:1 crop :(

Cormorant by Execudork, on Flickr
More bookmark-based silliness. I'm shamelessly and foolishly just refusing to toss out photos of birds that are too far away, too small, too crappy, or too whatever, and coming up with barely-workable ideas to salvage them. Clearly, the correct action is "take better pictures". Also, "be less lazy, and take the goddam 500mm out of the back of the car some time instead of continuing to use that terrible old 70-210"

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:drat: @ that owl.

Had a pileated woodpecker hanging out in my tree all day

As well as a swarm of black capped chickadees

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
There's a male red shafted northern flicker that lives around my house, and keeps pecking on the outside of the rangehood, but every time I see him he flies off before I can take a picture of him.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
/\/\/\ Tripod, pre-focus, and IR remote control?

SD 111 Styx River 27 by Execudork, on Flickr
Pink Robin, which my guide book describes as "elusive".

SD 111 Styx River 31 by Execudork, on Flickr
Not sure what this is, there were a few species of LBFs fluttering around.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

ExecuDork posted:

SD 110 Tasmanian Highlands 50 by Execudork, on Flickr
Black Currawong (doing a Superman impression, with bonus obnoxious noises)
This shot is awesome! It really does look like it's doing a Superman impression.

ExecuDork posted:

SD 111 Styx River 27 by Execudork, on Flickr
Pink Robin, which my guide book describes as "elusive".
I've enjoyed seeing all the different varieties of birds you've been posting that don't usually get seen that often -- this is the first I've even heard of this bird and now I want to see more. There's something about it that makes it look like it was copy/pasted from a Disney cartoon.

Casu Marzu posted:

Had a pileated woodpecker hanging out in my tree all day
Nice shot! I've been after a decent picture of this guy for a few years. I found a nest last year, forgot the exact location, and never saw it again. :(

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

InternetJunky posted:

Nice shot! I've been after a decent picture of this guy for a few years. I found a nest last year, forgot the exact location, and never saw it again. :(

I just got extremely lucky. Last year I worked in a state park that had three of them. Was tracking them all summer long and barely got wind of any of the birds. I step out back yesterday to have a cup of coffee and refill my feeder and here this guy is hanging out in my maple tree, maybe 30 feet from my backdoor.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

/\/\/\ Tripod, pre-focus, and IR remote control?
I don't have an IR remote :(

Also I can't get pictures of him from inside the house, so I'd have to leave my camera and tripod outside for probably days on end since he only comes by twice a week or so.

I LOVE your pink robin, that's such an adorable bird!!

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

That Pink Robin's primeval Tasmanian forest is awesome!

Here are my favorite shots from the past few months:

Chestnut-Backed Chickadee by Icybacon, on Flickr

Raven by Icybacon, on Flickr

Fluffy Heron in Fluffy Tree by Icybacon, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Snowy Owl still eludes me, but found a Barred Owl today, it was nice having some really good light at 2pm today, but the temp was hovering around -17 with a -30 windchill

Barred Owl by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Pine Grosbeak by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Dark-eyed Junco by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Common Redpoll by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Red-breasted Nuthatch by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

My wife and I went driving south of Devon today also looking for owls. She spotted a hawk owl at the top of tree in the middle of a field south of Devon today. As I pulled off to the side of the road, I noticed a weasel in the field hunting. The weasel was between my car and the hawk owl.

It was my first time seeing a wild weasel, and as I was scrambling to get my camera ready the hawk owl swooped down from its perch and looked like it was going for the weasel. Unfortunately I missed what would have been a pretty great shot, and the hawk owl missed (I thought) the weasel. The owl came to rest in a tree near my car and when I finally got my lens on it I could see it eating a vole. I can only assume the weasel flushed a vole out of hiding and the owl was waiting. The weasel continued hunting in the field next to the owl, and the owl was watching, but it did not go after the weasel.

I had just finished packing up the car with my frozen fingers when a raven came in the area and immediately went for the hawk owl. Initially the owl held its ground but the raven got more aggressive and eventually flushed it from the top of the tree. It then proceeded to go after the owl for several minutes in what looked like a very vicious assault. I did not see the outcome unfortunately as a couple of farm dogs scared me away from the area.

Pretty exciting day.

My wife's shot:

The crow attack:

I have a bunch more pictures to post but I need to let my fingers and toes recover first. Bloody cold today!

neckbeard posted:

Snowy Owl still eludes me, but found a Barred Owl today, it was nice having some really good light at 2pm today, but the temp was hovering around -17 with a -30 windchill

Barred Owl by tylerhuestis, on Flickr
Oh man those are all lovely! That male grossbeak is beautiful -- I still haven't been able to track down a group since I saw the bunch of females. Where on earth did you find the owl?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

InternetJunky posted:

I've enjoyed seeing all the different varieties of birds you've been posting that don't usually get seen that often -- this is the first I've even heard of this bird and now I want to see more. There's something about it that makes it look like it was copy/pasted from a Disney cartoon.
The Australian Robins (genus Petroica and Melanodryas) are ridiculously photogenic little birds. But they're also really small, and tend to live in dense forests. I'm absolutely loving my visit to the other side of the Wallace Line.

You've been completely knocking it out of the park lately with your owl shots. Seriously, getting such great shots in brutally cold conditions shows some awesome dedication. The series with the raven is especially good, getting good photos of behaviour is something I always try for but almost never succeed.

Alpenglow posted:

That Pink Robin's primeval Tasmanian forest is awesome!
Find the birdie!

SD 111 Styx River 28 by Execudork, on Flickr

Also, I love that shot of the raven with the egg. Have I mentioned I have a love/hate relationship with ravens and corvids more generally? I love to take pictures of them, I hate how difficult they make it by flying off, laughing, when they spot my camera.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

InternetJunky posted:

My wife and I went driving south of Devon today also looking for owls. She spotted a hawk owl at the top of tree in the middle of a field south of Devon today. As I pulled off to the side of the road, I noticed a weasel in the field hunting. The weasel was between my car and the hawk owl.

My wife's shot:

So your wife broke in her new lens on a hawk owl? You guys are livin' the life!

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

InternetJunky posted:

Oh man those are all lovely! That male grossbeak is beautiful -- I still haven't been able to track down a group since I saw the bunch of females. Where on earth did you find the owl?

Thanks, owl is in Hawrelak Park, originally I was going to go to the CN Rail grain terminal and look for falcons, but there's no wind protection there. There were actually quite a few male Grosbeaks at the park yesterday, at least 4.

same male as before from the other side:

2 of the other photographers who were out managed to get a Brown Creeper.

Those attack shots are awesome, one of the guys who I was talking to showed us this picture he had taken of a Short Eared Owl having a face-to-face standoff with this squirrel which was pretty awesome, he doesn't have Flickr or anything so can't link it :(

neckbeard fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 22, 2012

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

[edit] ^^^ really great shots!

neckbeard posted:

Thanks, owl is in Hawrelak Park, originally I was going to go to the CN Rail grain terminal and look for falcons, but there's no wind protection there. There were actually quite a few male Grosbeaks at the park yesterday, at least 4. 2 of the other photographers who were out managed to get a Brown Creeper.
I was at the terminal last week for a few hours. I froze to death and didn't see a single falcon (I've seen pictures of prairie falcons and gyrfalcons taking pigeons there in the last few weeks). I think I need to find a better vantage point for the terminal, because where I tried (across the tracks to the south) was a very long distance from any potential action.

quote:

Those attack shots are awesome, one of the guys who I was talking to showed us this picture he had taken of a Short Eared Owl having a face-to-face standoff with this squirrel which was pretty awesome, he doesn't have Flickr or anything so can't link it :(
Thanks. I would love to see that photo of the short eared owl -- I thought mice and squirrels were their main food source.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
I just discovered this thread. The pictures are amazing and I can only dream to shoot something similar. When I was 14 I used to sit in a blind trying to get a shoot of a Carolina Wren with a 200 mm.

Black and white warblers are so much fun because they think they are nuthatches.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A couple from today's CBC.

CoCoCBC_2012 633, on Flickr

CoCoCBC_2012 631 , on Flickr

CoCoCBC_2012 627, on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

neckbeard posted:

owl is in Hawrelak Park
Thanks for this info, by the way. My wife and I went to the park today to try and find any owl, and after freezing our asses off and giving up we passed another photographer who pointed out the barred owl for us (impossible to find those things, even if you know where they are!).

The owl was very accommodating:

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Saw a red-tailed falcon eating a pigeon a few days back.
My lens sucks wide open, but stopped down and it gets pretty decent! I've just got to remember that from now on.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

What better way to spend Christmas than to go birding. I have a million shots to process as it was a successful day, but here's a first for me -- Great Gray Owl:

Merry Christmas!

InternetJunky fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 26, 2012

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
That photo rules so hard, congratulations!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

InternetJunky posted:

What better way to spend Christmas than to go birding. I have a million shots to process as it was a successful day, but here's a first for me -- Great Gray Owl:

Merry Christmas!

I'm definitely imagining you did the dance in your avatar after nailing this shot. Congrats!

You are pretty drat far towards being able to make a 12 month owl calendar.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I'm definitely imagining you did the dance in your avatar after nailing this shot. Congrats!

You are pretty drat far towards being able to make a 12 month owl calendar.
I have to admit I was really hoping I could get a shot of that great gray mid-flight. Something about their face while flying that is very human-like and mystical.

As for an owl calendar, it's a goal but there's only two species left around here in winter that I haven't seen yet (boreal and pygmy) and they are not easy to get. Summer time means a few more species, but all of them are much harder to find.

I finished processing the rest of my great gray shots:

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

:monocle: Great work

It looks like it's wearing wool socks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I feel like I'm hogging this thread, but shooting owls has lit a fire in me to go out and shoot birds whenever I can.

I rented a 4 wheel drive for the weekend so I can run down some logging roads that were impassible before. I'm after more hawk owls. I also got invited to go along Sunday with some raptor banders who are going to be trying for some short eared owls. I'm trying to process a backlog in shots because I'm expecting hundreds more soon. :)

I don't think I've posted these yet: