Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I know a few people who did that. None of them made it past power school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.
we had that happen in my a school class. its a long tale that involves herpes, stealing from the nex/getting caught, and going UA. for a group thats supposed to be as "smart" as nukes are supposed to be, theres a shitload of loving morons.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.
It's okay, MOST of the dumbasses get weeded out by end of Prototype. Most, but sadly not all.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.
Slightly North of Broad is still one of my favorite restaurants, to this day. I contemplate flying back to Charleston, from Hawaii, just for the food, and that one is top of my list.

Oh, and strippers in general....yeah. Just wait until you get to Guam (you'll stop there if you're on a Hawaii boat, or god forbid, get stationed there). If you have no "discipwin", steer clear of strippers. It ends in sadness, self-loathing, and syphilis.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
One day Im going to type up every ridiculous thing I've seen babbynukes do. One day...

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

KetTarma posted:

One day Im going to type up every ridiculous thing I've seen babbynukes do. One day...

A 12-volume anthology.

Do they still post the masts in the PotW? We used to call them the sports pages. I think NNPTC was the only command in the Navy with weekly scheduled masts.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
The friday funnies yeah, man, I had no idea we had so many masts, I thought it was a normal thing to be honest.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Sacrilage posted:

Slightly North of Broad is still one of my favorite restaurants, to this day. I contemplate flying back to Charleston, from Hawaii, just for the food, and that one is top of my list.

Oh, and strippers in general....yeah. Just wait until you get to Guam (you'll stop there if you're on a Hawaii boat, or god forbid, get stationed there). If you have no "discipwin", steer clear of strippers. It ends in sadness, self-loathing, and syphilis.

sup guambro:hf: The clubs in guam are pretty goddamn fun if you can keep your wits about you while getting hammered. If you can't though, they will bleed you dry before you know what the gently caress is happening. Never, ever bring a card into a guam strip club. Only carry cash; at least that way you can only lose what you brought.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.
I enjoyed the one where the girl answered 'wait one' while in a guys room when the bpo knocked for an inspection, then tried to hide in the closet.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Mad Dragon posted:

A 12-volume anthology.

Do they still post the masts in the PotW? We used to call them the sports pages. I think NNPTC was the only command in the Navy with weekly scheduled masts.

Yep. Just before stand down there was 10 or 12.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Harmburger posted:

Yep. Just before stand down there was 10 or 12.

I wonder how often sub school or other large training commands send dumb students to mast.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

What is going on in here?
Couple of guys in my section got hit by this last round. They got a fucker that made life difficult during t-track. Thanks for the list Ket, will start on it today.

1337_ScriptKiddie fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 27, 2012

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
I just want to add a place to Ket's list: The Coast Bar&Grill. A bit pricey but the best seafood I've ever had. It's down an alley near Joe Pasta.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Coast is definitely pretty good.

I can't remember if they take reservations or not. Expect a long wait though.

There are hundreds of great places to eat in this area. The fact that so many students go through their year or two here without experiencing anything other than The Dive depresses the poo poo out of me.

Knoxx
Oct 6, 2009
Hello Nukes. Just thought I'd stop in because I was a STS on the SSN-706 back in 00-05. That boat during that time didn't really hate nukes, I was good friends with quite a few of them. I'm glad when I enlisted that I never went nuke as most nukes on subs hated life. During that time though their re-enlistment bonuses were ungodly... I think the top one I remember was something like $250k.

I've been reading through the posts here and it has been some good reads. I was stationed out of Groton after doing a two year refuel/overhaul in Portsmouth.

How are things in the nuke world on the VAs? They were just getting built and started being commed when I got out. I've heard they are even more cramped than the 688s.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

There is a Cookout by the Arby's now. That has definitely made it harder to maintain weight.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Based on listening to other people talk to detailers, electricians generally like VA class while ETs generally dislike getting orders there. I can only assume that this is because ETs cry about anything and everything.

's all I got.

The fact that Cookout is on my way to school does not help me maintain my semi-civilian figure. Oreo mint milkshakes?!?!

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

KetTarma posted:

The fact that Cookout is on my way to school does not help me maintain my semi-civilian figure. Oreo mint milkshakes?!?!

Chili on everything.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Cookout is the place where you can get a half pound of hamburger with a chicken quesadilla, chili, and a milkshake for 7 bucks. It's amazing.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Being vague deliberately

There was some poo poo scattered around the boat (including up forward) that traditionally belonged to electricians (for maintenance/repair) that on the VAs they initially gave to RC div. There are few things RC division hates more than repairing poo poo for coners (also hated: sunlight, females, showers). Also they rolled the E-div Throttleman watchstation into RC Reactor Operator. But the planned sizes of RC and E div didn't really change. So of course RC was pissed and E loved it.

But, to my understanding, a couple things happened. E div ended up shrinking after all. RC pawned most/all of that forward crap back on E or the coner ETs/FTs (I forget) or whatever. And honestly the RC div nuke stuff is supposed to be sooooo much nicer / less maintenance hassle than a 688 (especially compared to boats that haven't been updated in a while). So a VA should be a way better deal than an old tired 688.

Of course the VAs shouldn't be falling apart just yet, so they're probably seasoning motherfuckers, so there's that to bitch about.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

Best thing ever, having your deployment pushed due to another ship breaking an RCP. Not that anyone would go do something like that.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

KetTarma posted:

Coast is definitely pretty good.

I can't remember if they take reservations or not. Expect a long wait though.

There are hundreds of great places to eat in this area. The fact that so many students go through their year or two here without experiencing anything other than The Dive depresses the poo poo out of me.

Were you in the dive post-remodel? It was a decent place to hang out and get poo poo hammered, if that was your only goal (it was for me). The inside was nice, there were new pool tables, a couple of foosball tables, dartboards, couple of computers w/internet, and lovely barfood, plus a surprisingly good beer selection. Plus, if you were in there 5+ nights a weed (I was) the bartenders would charge you for like 20% of what you actually spent if you cut the difference with them as a "tip". Crooked and probably illegal? Yeah, but who cares, I'm getting drunk for cheap:eng101:

Later on I became a massive alcoholic and it ruined a lot of good things, but goddamn if I didnt have fun gettin poo poo hammered at the dive.

Note: Do not use this post as a reason not to get the gently caress off base. I may have gotten hammered there every night, but that was pregaming for going somewhere else.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I went in once, saw that it was filled with rainjacket wearing babbynukes, left.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

There is a guy in my power school class that I have only seen out of his creeper once and that was during a piss test.

Sesame Burgers is rad. If you drink the same beer twice there you are missing out.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

KetTarma posted:

I went in once, saw that it was filled with rainjacket wearing babbynukes, left.

I used to go there right after class, 4pm-ish, and grab a burger or some wings and a pitcher or two, then go in and do my hours. There was almost never anyone there, usually less than 10 people in the place. The only times it would get busy would be early evening on weekends as people pregamed, and during concerts.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I was wondering why I had never heard of any of these places, then I remembered I was only 19 when I was in Charleston. And it was over 15 years ago, so some of those places probably weren't even there. I am thankful that I was there before NNPTC moved from Orlando.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

They do concerts at the Dive now? I remember Vanilla Ice did one there while I was in Charleston, didn't know other people did.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
Can someone tell me where to live? I'm supposed to be leaving for Balston Spa in 23 days and I haven't found a home yet. Can anyone up there recommend a neighborhood/apartment complex? Or is there a website where I can tell it I want to live close to base 3bed/2bath w/ garage?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
The base whatever housing organization (I forget the formal name) has a list of available apartments/houses/mil-friendly landlords, and there are a ton of them. Go up at the beginning of your transfer leave, check a whole bunch out and pick one. The landlords know when classes come / go and approximately how much housing allowance you get.

Where you live depends on what kind of six-month experience you want. Living right up by base will get you a short commute (nice in winter weather) but you'll be in the boonies. Living closer to Ballston Spa proper gives you a little more to do other than snowmobile / 4x4'ing. Living in / near Saratoga Springs gives you college bars, college girls and the plus / minus of the horse races in summer. You could theoretically go even further out but there's not much point.

E: because of quirks of the area garages aren't going to be terribly common and you may have to settle for a 1 / 1.5 bath. It's for six months, suck it up.

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 28, 2012

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
Googling got me to the AHRN website which is really useful (military run, search parameters are exactly what I needed). I remember being told about this at one of the briefs at the end of NPS. So now I just need to decide which area to live in (sounds like Saratoga Springs is the way to go).

camino
Feb 23, 2006
Just don't try to commute from Saratoga to BSpa in a RWD sports car in the winter. I did it (and so have many other idiotic baby nukes), and it was terrible. I wound up in fields a lot of times.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I had a cheap 4x4 pickup and never had issues. My roommates had slammed ricers and problems all winter. Some people say winter tires will cut it, and they certainly help, but it's rural so plowing isn't very comprehensive. There's nowhere anywhere near that area to drive sporty anyway. There are minor complications with alternate-side parking and snow but they're livable.

If you have roommates, do not assume you will get the same plant or be on the same shift. You may not be able to carpool and you may basically end up never seeing them.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Snowdens Secret posted:

If you have roommates, do not assume you will get the same plant or be on the same shift. You may not be able to carpool and you may basically end up never seeing them.

Speaking of stuff like this, I probably had the best experience possible in nuke school with getting exactly what I asked for. Maybe the senior enlisted guys actually cared when I was there I dunno.

Asked for MM, got it. Asked to stay in SC for prototype, got it. Asked for welder school, got it. Asked for San Diego fast attack, got it. My roommates and I were all on the same shift and in the same crew too. 0_o

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

gently caress ya'll

I joined the Navy with the idea that I was going to work on missiles. Nope!
It's ok, I'll be a submarine ET or MM. Anything but being an electrician. That sounds horrible.

Oh, I got assigned EM.

Well, at least I'll be able to stay in Charleston. gently caress going up north to Balston Spa for prototype. Oh, I got assigned to Balston Spa..

At least I'll get orders to a submarine on the west coast. Hopefully something forward deployed so I can do cool poo poo!

Oh, I got an east coast carrier that's about to start a 4 year overhaul.

At least I can cross-deck to another carrier at my 2 year point. Oh, denied.

Oh, a hot-fill billet for the George Washington to go to Japan! Detailer will put me in as soon as he gets my package.
Hey CCC, why haven't I heard back about my package? Oh, you never saw it? Let's investigate. Oh, my chief shredded it because he didnt want me to transfer before ORSE. Literally shredded it without telling anyone. Great. Let's reroute and... oh, the billets are full.

At least I can transfer to another ship once I get to my PRD. No, detailer, I dont want prototype. I want another carrier. What do you mean that I don't have any choice.

Well, here I am at prototype. At least it can't get worse. Oh, we're doing a year long overhaul that means going TAD to the Norfolk shipyards and living out of the barracks when we're lucky and a WW2 troopship when we're not. Great.

No, XO. I don't plan on re-enlisting. But be damned if I won't join the Reserves. :downs:

At least the Reserves has been pretty cool so far. The only bad thing I've really had happen is getting assigned to a unit that's completely non-technical. I'm probably going to put in to work for a non-nuclear shipyard maintenance group just so I can keep on working on electrical stuff.

All bitching aside, even though I got my last choice on everything, it generally worked out for the best. Turns out, submarines suck and carriers rock. Norfolk was horrible but... ok, got nothing. gently caress Norfolk. EM is the best rate ever. Prototype was hell but I learned a lot of poo poo from having to constantly repair everything. Now that I'm out, I'm glad that things worked out the way that they did.

Well, everything except for doing that loving worthless Excelsior online degree. I should've realized that thing was stupid and just taken every general elective offered so I could've started at a sophomore/junior at a real school.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

What carrier were you on? Also, why would you take Excelsior seriously? But that's just me, being a bitter ET I suppose. gently caress RC.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Hobolicious posted:

What carrier were you on? Also, why would you take Excelsior seriously? But that's just me, being a bitter ET I suppose. gently caress RC.

It seemed like a good idea at the time. It was fully accredited and I wanted to work in the nuclear industry. Guys that worked at nuke plants told me that it would open doors etc etc.

Unfortunately, what it DOESN'T do is help you get any job that requires a degree in an electrical discipline nor anything that requires a pure engineering degree. Very few of the classes transferred since it was all engineering technology rather than pure engineering. Whenever I decided to stay in Charleston, I realized it was pretty much worthless since no one was looking for a nuclear technologist.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

Hey I'm on the Carl Prison as we speak. I remember one of my A School instructors saying something about 8 section duty. He neglected to say only for topsiders, while we sit in 3 section duty. We just got a new RO last month though, he's pretty cool so far.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Hey, 3 section isn't that bad.

It could be worse. Try port and starboard! It's great!

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

That was 3 months ago during Prime Standards. Oh, and last year when RO literally said'I don't give a gently caress about your morale.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I got pretty much my first choice every chance I had. Unfortunately my first choice for first command was a fast boat out of Groton.

To make matters worse what I really wanted was to go to a) a Seawolf and b) the North Pole. I got told "don't ask for the Seawolf boats, they're VIP boats, all you'll do is clean and carry VIPs and never go anywhere cool. Ask for a 688, they have all the fun." I got sent to a new 688i that for a couple reasons was a VIP boat and for a good while all we did was clean and carry VIPs and never go anywhere cool. Turns out there was an open billet on the Connecticut and 6 months after I got to Groton she did a bluenose run.

• Locked thread