Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Maybe this thread will know, my dad switched his family plan from AT&T to Sprint a couple days ago and in the process, Sprint transferred my Mom's and brother's numbers correctly, but my Dad's never switched and his phone never activated. They went back to the store after a few hours and he got a 'temporary' number but still wants his old one and calling customer service seems to be giving him the runaround. Is there a direct number or website that can handle that kind of stuff?

If it helps, my mom and brother were on iPhones on AT&T and my dad on a dumbphone and all switched to iPhone 5s on Sprint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

God made Adam and Eve, not Fluffy and Eve.
Probably a stupid question but worth a shot if I can save some money. Here's the scenario:

Me: Has SERO Premium with Optimus S that refuses to die ($40/month + fees). I'm off 2 year contract as of November 2012.
Sig. Other: Has EPRP ($79/month + fees) with a HTC Evo. Contract ending next month.

Anyway one of can add the other to our respectable plans to save/combine the payment? Like the OP said, I'm trying to keep SERO as long as I can; I've had it since 2007. I don't think I'd be able to add the other line though. Each of us uses less than 100 minutes per month but unlimited text and data is crucial.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Question about the Airave. My sister got one finally from Sprint, and got it all set up. Unfortunately, it's only showing one bar. Is that normal? Since her phone is using the Airave, is it not going to show more bars since it's technically WiFi?

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I've got my brother's epic 4g touch here, just rooted and nandroided. What's a good stock looking Rom with all the bloat removed? So far the only one I've found is recalked. CM10 is too advanced for him.

Also holy crap is this phone confusing with its 900 different kernel versions.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

Medullah posted:

Question about the Airave. My sister got one finally from Sprint, and got it all set up. Unfortunately, it's only showing one bar. Is that normal? Since her phone is using the Airave, is it not going to show more bars since it's technically WiFi?

The phone doesn't know the Airave isn't a cellular tower so you should see 5 bars. Make sure it has the GPS, etc lights lit up. You will also hear three beeps when placing a call that let you know you are connected.

When I first set mine up, I had to wait a couple of hours for the Airave to connect, the phones to see it, then switch over. You may just need to give it time.

Also some phones like the iPhone 5 show LTE signal strength when connected to LTE so in my house I get 2 bars, until I place a call and it drops the LTE connection to pickup CDMA 1X voice... Then I get 5 bars.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
Approximately 605 updated sites today in: DFW (59), Shentel (58), LA Metro (55), Baltimore (52), Washington DC (33), PR/VI (32), New York City (26), Houston (25), SF Bay (23), Austin (22), San Antonio (21), Boston (17), Georgia (14), Atlanta/Athens (12), Southern Jersey (12), Norfolk (10), Indianapolis (9), Alabama (8), Delaware (8), Miami/West Palm (8), Ft. Wayne/South Bend (7), Long Island (7), Minnesota (7), San Diego (7), VT/NH/ME (7), Kansas (5), Orange County (5), Philadelphia Metro (5), Tampa (5), Upstate NY Central (5), Nashville (4), Orlando (4), Riverside/San Bernardino (4), South Bay (4), Upstate NY East (4), Lower Central Valley (3), Myrtle Beach (3), Northern Connecticut (3), Northern Jersey (3), Southern Connecticut (3), Central Illinois (2), Mississippi (2), West Texas (2), Central Jersey (1), East Iowa (1), Jacksonville (1), Memphis (1)

This was a big one.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
Still no Phoenix. I don't understand why at all. It's the 4th largest city in the country.

PK-Fire
Sep 26, 2003

Medullah posted:

No, it shows up as a 3g signal.
It does take a while to activate, and the GPS sensor is finicky. If the GPS loses signal the whole thing will shut down. Even though mine is right by a wall I had to actually tape the GPS unit to the physical glass of the window and attach it with the wire to get it to hold a signal consistently. All the lights on the front of the unit have to be green for it to work.
Also, I don't know if your sister is using any custom roms or anything but I had to change mine before it would pick up.
If it's connected you should hear 3 tones whenever you connect to a call.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I live so close to LTE cities (Chicago and Joliet), but I'm fairly sure they'll never come to my city before I graduate and move.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Ender.uNF posted:

Approximately 605 updated sites today in: DFW (59), Shentel (58), LA Metro (55), Baltimore (52), Washington DC (33), PR/VI (32), New York City (26), Houston (25), SF Bay (23), Austin (22), San Antonio (21), Boston (17), Georgia (14), Atlanta/Athens (12), Southern Jersey (12), Norfolk (10), Indianapolis (9), Alabama (8), Delaware (8), Miami/West Palm (8), Ft. Wayne/South Bend (7), Long Island (7), Minnesota (7), San Diego (7), VT/NH/ME (7), Kansas (5), Orange County (5), Philadelphia Metro (5), Tampa (5), Upstate NY Central (5), Nashville (4), Orlando (4), Riverside/San Bernardino (4), South Bay (4), Upstate NY East (4), Lower Central Valley (3), Myrtle Beach (3), Northern Connecticut (3), Northern Jersey (3), Southern Connecticut (3), Central Illinois (2), Mississippi (2), West Texas (2), Central Jersey (1), East Iowa (1), Jacksonville (1), Memphis (1)

This was a big one.

I was surprised to see that I had full 4G service at Stonebriar Mall in Frisco this past weekend. Then I was unsurprised to walk 20 feet and have no service whatsoever.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Frinkahedron posted:

Maybe this thread will know, my dad switched his family plan from AT&T to Sprint a couple days ago and in the process, Sprint transferred my Mom's and brother's numbers correctly, but my Dad's never switched and his phone never activated. They went back to the store after a few hours and he got a 'temporary' number but still wants his old one and calling customer service seems to be giving him the runaround. Is there a direct number or website that can handle that kind of stuff?

If it helps, my mom and brother were on iPhones on AT&T and my dad on a dumbphone and all switched to iPhone 5s on Sprint.

Call the port department, or if I don't have it listed in the thread call in and ask to be transferred to them (they are likely closed on Christmas). This really shouldn't be an issue, and that department should be able to fix it. I'll warn you their English sucks but they honestly are very effective, just time consuming.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Ender.uNF posted:

This was a big one.

Are these sites LTE upgrades? Is there anyway to specifficaly see where was updated in eastern Iowa? I was honestly suprised to see that on the list.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

B-Mac posted:

Are these sites LTE upgrades? Is there anyway to specifficaly see where was updated in eastern Iowa? I was honestly suprised to see that on the list.

They are going to put towers all around the city of Omaha but none inside the city ever, just to taunt the people in that city.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

B-Mac posted:

You can go over to s4gru.com and donate $5 to get access to their interactive maps, including several that show all reported "complete" Network Vision towers and what is confirmed complete (3G, 4G, etc).

beamrider
Sep 22, 2000
Posting "This needs much more love" IS BANNABLE
*sighs* Will there ever be any LTE love for C-bus OH?!? I mean, I really like the S3, but this 3G is horribly slow. drat phone will be outdated before we get LTE...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

They are going to put towers all around the city of Omaha but none inside the city ever, just to taunt the people in that city.

I can't tell if you're serious or not. :v:

It won't affect me anymore, but it'll affect my boyfriend, mom and friend all who use Sprint and their towers.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Kitsch! posted:

Probably a stupid question but worth a shot if I can save some money. Here's the scenario:

Me: Has SERO Premium with Optimus S that refuses to die ($40/month + fees). I'm off 2 year contract as of November 2012.
Sig. Other: Has EPRP ($79/month + fees) with a HTC Evo. Contract ending next month.

Anyway one of can add the other to our respectable plans to save/combine the payment? Like the OP said, I'm trying to keep SERO as long as I can; I've had it since 2007. I don't think I'd be able to add the other line though. Each of us uses less than 100 minutes per month but unlimited text and data is crucial.

You're probably SOL on the SERO angle but you should be able to do a TOL of your line to her account, and then have it converted to an EPRP family plan.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

beamrider posted:

*sighs* Will there ever be any LTE love for C-bus OH?!? I mean, I really like the S3, but this 3G is horribly slow. drat phone will be outdated before we get LTE...

Just before they do Dayton, OH and Cincinnati, OH...then Hell will freeze over.

At least you get 3G...I spent 2/3 of my time on 1x...though I suppose that's a blessing in disguise since I get faster data speeds on 1x than 3G anyhow.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ozmodiar posted:

though I suppose that's a blessing in disguise since I get faster data speeds on 1x than 3G anyhow.

This is it. With this statement Sprint has officially hit rock bottom network wise.

Imaginos
Mar 3, 2003

Kitsch! posted:

Shoot me a PM. I have a spare SERO line that I was about to put up on SA Mart.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Duckman2008 posted:

This is it. With this statement Sprint has officially hit rock bottom network wise.
Nowhere to go now but up up up!

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe

Imaginos posted:

Shoot me a PM. I have a spare SERO line that I was about to put up on SA Mart.

Is sprint letting you change ownership of a SERO plan? I tried that a few months years back and had to give up because we kept hitting road blocks

Duckman2008 posted:

That means it can only get better, right? :shobon:

Eunabomber
Dec 30, 2002

Hooray for TEP. My EVO4G(itself a replacement for a dead 3D) had a broken camera, and I have the option of a replacement EVO or S3. Am I a crazy person for wanting to stick with the EVO? Other than my familiarity with it/sense, I can't think of anything it does better than the S3.

I do understand all the HTC complaints in this thread now...

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Eunabomber posted:

Hooray for TEP. My EVO4G(itself a replacement for a dead 3D) had a broken camera, and I have the option of a replacement EVO or S3. Am I a crazy person for wanting to stick with the EVO? Other than my familiarity with it/sense, I can't think of anything it does better than the S3.

Choosing an Evo 4G over a Galaxy S3 would probably qualify you as crazy and/or stupid, yes.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Eunabomber posted:

Are you really considering staying with a more than 2 year old phone instead of the S3?

Go with the S3. End of story.

Now, if it were the EVO LTE, then maybe I could see the debate based on familiarity and HTC love or whatnot, then still... people will push you to the S3.

Eunabomber
Dec 30, 2002

Krime posted:

Are you really considering staying with a more than 2 year old phone instead of the S3?

Go with the S3. End of story.

Now, if it were the EVO LTE, then maybe I could see the debate based on familiarity and HTC love or whatnot, then still... people will push you to the S3.

I meant EvoLTE. The new one. I love it, except the camera broke(a known feature, it isn't seated well, so excess vibration can unplug it from the mainboard)and the battery isn't too hot.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Between the poo poo build quality and HTC's track record for dragging their feet on updates as much as humanly possible, I don't think I'll buy another HTC phone ever again. Also Sense looks like butt compared to regular ICS/Jellybean. It was an improvement on GB but now that google got their design chops going, there's no point in still using Sense.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

FlyingCheese posted:

Between the poo poo build quality and HTC's track record for dragging their feet on updates as much as humanly possible, I don't think I'll buy another HTC phone ever again. Also Sense looks like butt compared to regular ICS/Jellybean. It was an improvement on GB but now that google got their design chops going, there's no point in still using Sense.

I used to be all about HTC and extremely weary of Samsung based on previous complaints, but the S3 is the best phone I've used to date. I'll admit that much of my enjoyment of this phone is that I live in an LTE market, and Sprint's LTE network is night and loving day better than its 3G (or even Wimax) network. So some of the things I like about the S3, I might also like about the Evo LTE, but there's some other stuff as well.

If you can, play with an S3 in person. The size, the weight, the screen... it's all great, to me. The ONLY thing I don't really like is the hardware home button, just because it feels out of place and too iPhone-y. But it's a minor complaint given everything else about the phone that I love. I will also never be able to buy another phone without a multicolor LED again.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

The S3 does a horrible job of making the LED white, drives me nuts. But with root and disabling some of the junk Touchwhiz is quite tolerable.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

UnbornApple posted:

The S3 does a horrible job of making the LED white, drives me nuts. But with root and disabling some of the junk Touchwhiz is quite tolerable.

I think its more than tolerable even before rooting.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

brc64 posted:

Sprint roams on Verizon's network, but does it only do it on the 1900 MHz band? This is something I've been wondering lately. This would probably explain why even when I'm roaming in a department store, the phone can barely hold a signal.

I think it roams in the lower frequencies, too. I get a strong Verizon signal in the basement where I work. If I go upstairs I get a weak Sprint 3G signal, and if I step outside I get a full Sprint LTE signal.

Dayne
Dec 5, 2003
uh, yeah

beamrider posted:

Take this with an enormous grain of salt but the sales guy at Easton that sold me my S3 said that he was accidentally invited to a LTE meeting with their technical staff for the Columbus area back in late October and while they realized their error and kicked him out before talking about anything substantial, he thought it meant that it could be available as soon as early 2013.

He also said if you enter in the Konami code backwards while standing on top of the 3rd pipe in the second level of Super Mario Brothers that you could play the rest of the game as Sonic.

beamrider
Sep 22, 2000
Posting "This needs much more love" IS BANNABLE

Dayne posted:

Take this with an enormous grain of salt but the sales guy at Easton that sold me my S3 said that he was accidentally invited to a LTE meeting with their technical staff for the Columbus area back in late October and while they realized their error and kicked him out before talking about anything substantial, he thought it meant that it could be available as soon as early 2013.

He also said if you enter in the Konami code backwards while standing on top of the 3rd pipe in the second level of Super Mario Brothers that you could play the rest of the game as Sonic.

You don't happen to know which guy it was, do you? I actually got my S3 at Easton a few days after Black Friday. I asked them when it was "officially" supposed to roll out, and the guy comes out with the standard "Well, it's supposed to....Um....." I then asked him when it was "realistically" supposed to be rolled out, and he basically said "I'm in the same boat as you, I ask, but I never get a definitive answer." Which wasn't really what I wanted to hear.

I wonder if there's a way to roam on ATT/Verizon's 4G LTE? I'd just like to try it, and see what I can expect once Sprint gets off their collective asses.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Yesterday my mom called me and I answered it but some other stranger was on the line. I'm pretty sure they answered a call too. I got a voicemail from my mom after I hung up.

This happened a few months ago too. Does anyone know why this happens?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

beamrider posted:

You don't happen to know which guy it was, do you? I actually got my S3 at Easton a few days after Black Friday. I asked them when it was "officially" supposed to roll out, and the guy comes out with the standard "Well, it's supposed to....Um....." I then asked him when it was "realistically" supposed to be rolled out, and he basically said "I'm in the same boat as you, I ask, but I never get a definitive answer." Which wasn't really what I wanted to hear.

I wonder if there's a way to roam on ATT/Verizon's 4G LTE? I'd just like to try it, and see what I can expect once Sprint gets off their collective asses.

None of the carriers have roaming agreements with each other, so none of them offer LTE roaming. Sprint phones also don't have the correct LTE band (possible exception being the iPhone 5) to roam off Verizon or AT&T anyway.

Once they start actually building towers Sprint does alert employees of general updates. So basically if they don't know anything sprint probably didn't start anything yet. Other than that Sprint doesn't exactly go out of its way to update retail employees on exact network rollout updates until much, much closer to launch.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Kitsch! posted:

My mom has SERO-P and was somehow able to add my dad who had AT&T to her plan and get him SERO-P as well. She did it about 3 weeks ago and I have no idea how she did it. They even let him have the plan with the 1200 minutes for an extra $10 or whatever.

Dayne
Dec 5, 2003
uh, yeah

beamrider posted:

I think his name was like Amir or something. He also gave me the boilerplate about how Sprint doesn't keep them in the loop about rollouts and to not take what he said as gospel. This was after I had already picked out my phone and he was in the process of setting it up and after I asked him what he knew about the LTE rollouts so it wasn't like he was still trying to make a sale at that point.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

the littlest prince posted:

Yesterday my mom called me and I answered it but some other stranger was on the line. I'm pretty sure they answered a call too. I got a voicemail from my mom after I hung up.

This happened a few months ago too. Does anyone know why this happens?

Your mom on a cell phone or a land line? Her wires may be crossed on a land line.
That or you have a new dad.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dayne posted:

I think his name was like Amir or something. He also gave me the boilerplate about how Sprint doesn't keep them in the loop about rollouts and to not take what he said as gospel. This was after I had already picked out my phone and he was in the process of setting it up and after I asked him what he knew about the LTE rollouts so it wasn't like he was still trying to make a sale at that point.

FYI usually a rep is always trying to make a sale, because the worst scenario is getting one all set and then having them return it because they find out there is no LTE in the city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
For the last few weeks, my evo3d will drain battery even while plugged in to a wall socket. It'll happen after a complete reboot, it'll happen while it's in airplane mode, and also with different chargers.

Last night I didn't think to put it on airplane mode, it went from 100% to 48% in 7 hours while connected to the wall charger. I'm ready to kill this stupid thing.