Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Zetsubou
Feb 22, 2011

AngryCaterpillar posted:

It's normal for it to be at 90% for a while, you shouldn't have touched it :doh:. At least you're not as bad as that guy who turned off his Wii U during the initial update despite knowing it could brick his console though. Just wait for the download to finish, they'll probably redownload. Otherwise try to access them from the SD card on the Wii I guess?

Nonono, I never touched it at all. What im trying to say was something happened (I was out of the room when it happened), and it ended up back at the WiiU menu. The 90% thing was it's status before it magically ended up back at the Wii U menu. I started to redownload the games, and it installed the transfer super quickly, but it only ended up installing 3 games total out of like 20 games. The rest of the games are on the SD card, and won't let me load/play them. So my question was, could I do the process all over again, (cause the Wii to Wii U transfer thing has started from the beginning of the 3 step process) or will it not let me do it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Zetsubou posted:

Nonono, I never touched it at all. What im trying to say was something happened (I was out of the room when it happened), and it ended up back at the WiiU menu. The 90% thing was it's status before it magically ended up back at the Wii U menu. I started to redownload the games, and it installed the transfer super quickly, but it only ended up installing 3 games total out of like 20 games. The rest of the games are on the SD card, and won't let me load/play them. So my question was, could I do the process all over again, (cause the Wii to Wii U transfer thing has started from the beginning of the 3 step process) or will it not let me do it again.

Ok, sorry. Maybe the licences still transferred over? Try getting the games from the Shop Channel. Otherwise, I know first-hand that you can do the transfer multiple times, but you'd have to be able to get the licenses back on the Wii first, as the transfer process deletes everything from the Wii.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

AngryCaterpillar posted:

That guy was updating Hulu, but he still knew better than to pull the plug.

Yeah I'm not defending him, that guy was a total idiot.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If the games were on your SD card, the transfer process does not download those. You still have the rights to all of those games, you just have to download them one by one from the Shop channel in Wii mode. The transfer process only downloads games that were on the Wii system memory, but downloads digital rights for everything.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Yeah, if they weren't on the Wii console's internal storage, you'd have to transfer the games to that before transferring.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Before I did the transfer I downloaded every virtual console game I had again directly to the Wii. Was able to fit them all but a couple of N64 games. Of course I had no wiiware games on there, so I'd have to redownload them later again if I want them.

This was a crazy laborious process. Then I noticed during the system transfer, it actually isn't transferring anything. It's manually redownloading. It says transferring, but I could tell it was just basically a cover for the fact it was redownloading, because games were basically taking the exact amount of time to "transfer" as they had to download the previous day.

I'm sure there's some technical reason they have to do it this way, but I hope they fix it for the WiiW

Zetsubou
Feb 22, 2011
Thanks for the quick reply peeps. Also, just got a star on octopus dancing on Nintendo Land. Never again! My brain is pretty bad at processing those type of games. Or maybe im just dumb. :iiam:

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

greatn posted:

I'm sure there's some technical reason they have to do it this way, but I hope they fix it for the WiiW

The Wii Woo?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Aww man, I'm gonna have to redownload any games I wanna play off my SD card? Boo.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

greatn posted:

Aren't downloaded games on the Wii encrypted to that console?

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY
What the hell is up with Wii Mode and why does it randomly blackscreen on me for no apparent reason?

Like I had intended to migrate stuff over from my wife's wii, but obv. that is not happening when I have to pull the plug every other time I start Wii Mode.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Yeah, stuff on an SD Card for your Wii will need to be redownloaded since it's encrypted for the previous Wii rather than your Wii U.

If you download your Virtual Console/Wiiware stuff to an SD Card, and transfer your data to your Wii U, you can still load all those games on your SD Card on your original Wii, which is something I wish I had known before transferring. If you decide to move stuff from your SD Card back onto your Wii after transferring, make sure you don't go to the Wii Shop Channel from your Wii, because then it will erase all the downloaded items.

The whole thing is really bizarre and arbitrary and I wish I could keep my purchase data on both systems :mad:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I wish I didn't have to redownload poo poo. Oh we'll, I'll do it when I'm bored on my day off

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I am glad to hear that more people are playing Black Ops now. I loved playing it in bed, but as fun as team death match is, it will be awesome to actually have people to play with in other modes.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

greatn posted:

Before I did the transfer I downloaded every virtual console game I had again directly to the Wii. Was able to fit them all but a couple of N64 games. Of course I had no wiiware games on there, so I'd have to redownload them later again if I want them.

This was a crazy laborious process. Then I noticed during the system transfer, it actually isn't transferring anything. It's manually redownloading. It says transferring, but I could tell it was just basically a cover for the fact it was redownloading, because games were basically taking the exact amount of time to "transfer" as they had to download the previous day.

That's really weird, mine said "Downloading." Did you do a system update before you did a transfer? Maybe older versions had unclear text, mine actually made it quite clear there was a download going on, an internet connection required, and when my net went down midway through it paused and resumed the download once I got that settled.

LethalGeek posted:

Aren't downloaded games on the Wii encrypted to that console?

Correct

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
So is there no way to get club Nintendo points for games bought through the online store?

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

Spacebump posted:

So is there no way to get club Nintendo points for games bought through the online store?
If you link your Club Nintendo account, they'll pop up in a day or two. It works for every downloadable game compared to just Nintendo and a few other 3rd party games for retail.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Spacebump posted:

It's automatic.

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Spacebump posted:

There is. Did you link your Club Nintendo account and your WiiU?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

GameboyHero posted:

If you link your Club Nintendo account, they'll pop up in a day or two. It works for every downloadable game compared to just Nintendo and a few other 3rd party games for retail.

Oh, didn't realize it took a few days. (I bought NSMBWU last night) Thanks for the quick answers everyone.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

nerdbot posted:

The whole thing is really bizarre and arbitrary and I wish I could keep my purchase data on both systems :mad:
I think it's basically because of the bad decisions made back on the Wii in the first place place about how accounts worked. The new system seems better, you're just reaping the problems of the old system.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.
Okay, so. I got my Wii U hooked up today. I went through the SD card transfer thing. It accepted the SD card on the Wii U initially, it did the formatting thing, and then it got to the end where it said "next set up your Wii for this, you can turn off your Wii U if you have to". Since I only have one Wiimote I turned off the Wii U, transferred the SD card to the Wii, and ran the system transfer program - it went through fine, I got the Pikmin running onto their ship, it blasted off, great. Now I put it back in the Wii U, and... the device inserted in the SD Card slot cannot be used.

Am I hosed?

edit: I blew on the card and blew out the slot and it worked this time, never mind. Nintendo takes the retro gaming market very seriously I guess.

Benly fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 28, 2012

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The Wii -> WiiU transfer program has the single greatest progress bar screen of all time.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Which is a good thing, because you'll be watching it for-loving-ever if you need to redownload any appreciable number of Wiiware / VC games.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Benly posted:

Okay, so. I got my Wii U hooked up today. I went through the SD card transfer thing. It accepted the SD card on the Wii U initially, it did the formatting thing, and then it got to the end where it said "next set up your Wii for this, you can turn off your Wii U if you have to". Since I only have one Wiimote I turned off the Wii U, transferred the SD card to the Wii, and ran the system transfer program - it went through fine, I got the Pikmin running onto their ship, it blasted off, great. Now I put it back in the Wii U, and... the device inserted in the SD Card slot cannot be used.

Am I hosed?

edit: I blew on the card and blew out the slot and it worked this time, never mind. Nintendo takes the retro gaming market very seriously I guess.

This is not uncommon, you just have to try twice. No taking out or blowing required.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

antidote posted:

This is not uncommon, you just have to try twice. No taking out or blowing required.

I tried four times and it didn't work, I blew and it worked. I actually wouldn't be surprised if the card had gotten some dust-lint or something on it while it was on its way out of the Wii. The room it's in has been... not the best place for it at times. :v:

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Benly posted:

I laughed so hard. Thank you for sharing this.

Back when I was a kid one of my friends insisted coughing on them also helped because "sometimes it just needs germs!" That's pretty gross but is it weird to say I miss those days? Not only the blowing on cartridges but also the days before we had internet so nonsense ran rampant. I mean they sucked but they produced some funny and bizarre poo poo as well.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Benly posted:

What worked for me was a cotton swab!

(I'm lying, but I wanted to take this chance to reminisce about my SNES days)

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
Dudemans, is there any more information on the speed of the WiiU's CPU? I have read various rumours that imply it to be incredibly underpowered, but I have seen no concrete stuff.

SenseLess
May 4, 2007

SurrealityCheck posted:

Dudemans, is there any more information on the speed of the WiiU's CPU? I have read various rumours that imply it to be incredibly underpowered, but I have seen no concrete stuff.

This is the most concrete it gets

marcan42 posted:

[cpu clock speed] 1.243125GHz, exactly. 3 PowerPC 750 type cores (similar to Wii's Broadway, but more cache). GPU core at 549.999755MHz.

Edit: Added quote.
Edit 2: Repaired what i hosed up with my first edit. Need another coffee, stat.

SenseLess fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Dec 28, 2012

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

SurrealityCheck posted:

From what I personally gather, it's underpowered to the point where it might not become the third party clone machine we may have been hoping. Developers still have to keep the Wii U's unique processor in mind. On the other hand, it's enough for certain types of games and if developers focus their game designs on utilizing the GPU instead, games will look and play great.

I find it odd that out of all of the complaints on comparing games like Mass Effect 3 and Batman to the PS3/360 counterparts, nobody considered comparing Sonic All-Stars Transformed. The Wii U version has better AI and can place more on screen at once (like in the traffic attack mode) but that doesn't seem to be getting discussed much. Pretty much, it's not a wash that the CPU is so underpowered it's going to make third party ports for the Wii U to be a joke. It will likely go game/developer by game/developer basis.

It definitely produces more colours and better contrast than the 360, if Black Ops 2 is any indication.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think Sonic Transformed is good evidence that results will depend on how much effort developers put into scaling the software. The game has an engine that's designed from the ground up to work across four platforms, and they individually tailored the assets of each version to hit particular performance benchmarks. The result is that the game feels very polished on every platform.

The more common process of "Develop for 360 and port to everything else" is much less Wii U friendly because the CPU clockspeed creates a bottleneck.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
That's a little tragic, honestly. I was hoping Bayonetta 2 would look like a next gen title, but with hardware like that...

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Clockspeed doesn't really tell the full story; not that the Wii U has secretly mindblowing CPU architecture, but this isn't an instance where you can compare just that number and assume it's apples-to-apples.

Quinch
Oct 21, 2008

It's too early to tell at the moment really when a lot of it has to do with experience with the console. I think the 3rd party releases so far hold up pretty well seeing as they were developed for a console that devs have been developing on for almost a decade then outsourced and ported onto a console that is brand new and may initially be weird to code for.

Of course the real test will be comparing the initial 720/ps4 games late next year. Hopefully the wii u will hold it's own as I love the console itself, using a tv to play games seems almost last-gen now.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Quinch posted:

Of course the real test will be comparing the initial 720/ps4 games late next year. Hopefully the wii u will hold it's own as I love the console itself, using a tv to play games seems almost last-gen now.

Given the RAM difference between the wiiU and the putative amounts I've seen thrown around for the other 2 next gen consoles, I am relatively sure it will be a wii vs 360/ps3 thing again.

bkerlee
Aug 3, 2006

Slimy and gross.
Little Inferno is fun. Anyone with a sense of humor and an extra $10 should buy it.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011
My brother says there's two accounts on our Wii U and the save data for SAASRT created on one can't be used through the other. Is there a way to copy that data across to his account from the old one?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
So, I'm trying to figure out this Club Nintendo stuff. I've setup an account, linked it to my console, and want to add NintendoLand to get those sweet sweet coins. It requires a PIN number to do so, but my copy of NintenoLand doesn't have one of the pictured inserts, and I don't see any that would have matched. I didn't see a PIN number for the console either, I just used the S/N. Am I supposed to be looking for something in particular?

I wish Nintendo would hurry up and figure out the Virtual Console stuff. I don't want to buy stuff through Wii mode but I'd like to pick up the old school Zelda games. If there was a way to play Wind Waker on my WiiU I'd drop $35 in a heart beat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The bundled version of Nintendo land that comes with the Pro system doesn't have a code. On Club Nintendo a survey for the game worth 50 points will show up after a few days.

• Locked thread