Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I picked up Mara yesterday. It has potential but the first issue had bad pacing. As much as the constant information is probably to enfroce the theme of constant media distraction, it undermines itself by overloading the reader. And the plot point that Mara attains superpowers turns this from an interesting social commentary plot to another superhero title. I'm going to continue reading, though. This is Wood's best writing since DMZ.

And I didn't spoil that last part because it's right there on the Image website..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I felt the same way. If it weren't for the good will I have towards Wood, I don't know I'd continue reading. The book has potential, but it needs to pick things up a bit.

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.
Mara should have gone for a double-sized first issue like Multiple Warheads and Saga. Would have helped a lot, I think.

e: It just sort of...ends. Not really in a way that makes me want to read more either.

Adam Strange fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Dec 28, 2012

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Got a copy in very good condition of Madman Gargantua (which isn't available on eBay and is going for a preposterous price on Amazon...I got it for just under 100.00)...just reminds me of how much I like Madman and how great Allred is.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Got a copy in very good condition of Madman Gargantua (which isn't available on eBay and is going for a preposterous price on Amazon...I got it for just under 100.00)...just reminds me of how much I like Madman and how great Allred is.

Good for you! I own all the Madman TPBs (except for the elusive Madman Atomic Comics Vol. 2), since I prefer them to oversized hardcovers for reading, but the Gargantua is a really nice collection. I enjoy the "aw shucks" retro quirkiness of Allred's writing, but he has been my favorite artist in comics since the mid-'90s.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Good for you! I own all the Madman TPBs (except for the elusive Madman Atomic Comics Vol. 2), since I prefer them to oversized hardcovers for reading, but the Gargantua is a really nice collection. I enjoy the "aw shucks" retro quirkiness of Allred's writing, but he has been my favorite artist in comics since the mid-'90s.

Yeah, there's a certain innocent quality to the dialogue, and yet I never feel like I'm being pandered to. And I think he proved with how wild X-Statix was that he has more than one gear.

Still need to read Red Rocket 7, though.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Yeah, there's a certain innocent quality to the dialogue, and yet I never feel like I'm being pandered to. And I think he proved with how wild X-Statix was that he has more than one gear.

Still need to read Red Rocket 7, though.

You need 'em? I have an extra set -- the seven single issues, each as large as a record album.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Today is the end of American Elf

End of an era.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Today is the end of American Elf

End of an era.

Truly. Part of me is really hoping we get one tomorrow after he realizes he could never really give it up, but I don't think it's going to happen.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
To my fellow Glory fans: don't buy the Comixology version of #31 (yet, at least), since for some reason, they only uploaded half the pages.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Just in case anyone was wondering Fiona and Cake #1 is really good. I'm sure that anyone buying the Adventure Time comics would probably get it anyway but I just wanted to assuage any fears.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Okay, now that I got a print copy of Glory, I can say that Nanaja is the sensational character find of 2012.

And the final page made me :lol:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Man, between Godzilla: Half Century War, Multiple Warheads and Fatale, this is the best new-comics-day I've had in a while.

HCW in particular continues to make me do fistpumps every two or three pages like I'm eleven goddamn years old.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Man, between Godzilla: Half Century War, Multiple Warheads and Fatale, this is the best new-comics-day I've had in a while.

HCW in particular continues to make me do fistpumps every two or three pages like I'm eleven goddamn years old.

Multiple Warheads? I thought we just got Prophet today?

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Yeah I just got Prophet today too. No Brandon Graham but the fill in issue was pretty good so I don't mind!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

bairfanx posted:

Multiple Warheads? I thought we just got Prophet today?

Ah, I was confused as to when issue #3 had come out. It was supposed to be on my pull list but I didn't get it pulled for me two weeks ago so I just assumed when I saw it at the shop that it had come out today.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Darth Nat posted:

Okay, now that I got a print copy of Glory, I can say that Nanaja is the sensational character find of 2012.

And the final page made me :lol:

Comixology have sorted their stuff out and the full issue is now up and holy poo poo that last page. I kind of wonder how the series is going to top itself with gory/hilarious pages by the end.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Godzilla: Half Century War has been so drat good. I would love to see that poo poo on the big screen or as a mini series. Living the story through a narrator that has been hunting Godzilla for decades now is awesome. And that last panel :fap:

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
Godzilla: Half Century War is so goddamn good. Also, Prophet's sci-fi inversion of a typical Heart of Darkness types story was pretty amazing too. Apparently, Brandon Graham says he's around halfway done with Prophet, and I will be pretty sad when it ends.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Anyone know why Godzilla HCW doesn't shown up in Comixology here in New Zealand? Is it the same in every region outside America?
I got issue 1 when it was new, and it's in my 'My Comics', but there's no series page anymore. I assumed it had been massively delayed, but apparently comics have been coming out and my country has been gated from 'em.

Also, buy Manhattan Projects.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Anyone know why Godzilla HCW doesn't shown up in Comixology here in New Zealand? Is it the same in every region outside America?
I got issue 1 when it was new, and it's in my 'My Comics', but there's no series page anymore. I assumed it had been massively delayed, but apparently comics have been coming out and my country has been gated from 'em.

Also, buy Manhattan Projects.

If you didn't find any Godzilla comics, I would guess that there's a rights issue in NZ?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

It's not just a New Zealand thing, pretty sure it's an "everywhere outside of the US" thing since I haven't been able to get them either.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Thanks, Toho. :mad:

Socal Sapper
Jan 5, 2013
Anyone know why the trade paperback Poison Elves Volume 7: Salvation is over a hundred loving dollars when every other book in the series is the normal $15 - $20? I'll probably still end up getting it but it's severely frustrating to have to spend that much to complete my collection.

:psyboom:

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Did anyone else read the new Brian Wood Star Wars book? I thought it was pretty good. It's got a little too much prequel-esque boring space politics and not quite enough fun space adventure at this point, but it's the first issue so I'll give it a pass. It's just good to see a Star Wars comic starring characters I actually care about instead of Random Jedi #2764.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
So, I haven't been to the shop yet, but did Infinite Vacation actually come out today? Is that series finished, finally?

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Darth Nat posted:

Did anyone else read the new Brian Wood Star Wars book? I thought it was pretty good. It's got a little too much prequel-esque boring space politics and not quite enough fun space adventure at this point, but it's the first issue so I'll give it a pass. It's just good to see a Star Wars comic starring characters I actually care about instead of Random Jedi #2764.
It feels like something of a weird experiment, but it's basically two things I really like mashed together (Wood's writing and Star Wars), so it's hard to complain. It's way less flippant about galactic war than the movies, and I would expect no less of the degree of sci-fi social commentary from Wood. It's just kind of interesting to see it in the normally more mythical Star Wars universe.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Yeah, I listened to a podcast where Wood basically said he was trying to bring a more emotional edge to the characters, but it's still kind of weird to see Luke Skywalker trying to bare his soul about the horrors of war to Leia. This is the guy who got over the death of his aunt and uncle in about twenty seconds in the movies.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
I've started reading the Sixth Gun thanks to this thread. I am enjoying what I have read so far. I am a big fan of Mignola and Hellboy et al so it's right up my alley. If you are a fan of the supernatural/ghost story/folklore/artifact themes then you should definitely give it a read.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bairfanx posted:

So, I haven't been to the shop yet, but did Infinite Vacation actually come out today? Is that series finished, finally?

It's on Comixology, for what it's worth.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
So did anybody read Star Wars #1? I found it underwhelming. My misgivings with the book are not so much Wood as it is the material. See, because it's based off the original trilogy, it's a rather narrow setting to draw from. The characters and setting are so set that there's not very much wiggle room to do something different. We know how it's going to end and with that knolledge, any re-intepretation feels like an episode of Law and Order: you can predict the beats a mile away.

What saves it is the art by D'anda. I've always felt that the strongest aspect of Star Wars is the flavor: the ships, the aliens, the droids, etc. I always look foward to seeing somebody's visual interpretation of Star Wars, and there's this gorgeous splash page showing a squadron of Tie Fighters dispatching on Luke, Leia, and Wedge.

I like Wood's Conan better because there's more to draw from. Because Wood's drawing from the original trilogy, he's limited and it's hamstringing him creatively.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah but on the other hand, he's not drawing from the stupid expanded universe or the retarded prequels.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
Title:
Rex Mundi

Publisher:
Image/Dark Horse

Brief description:
France, the year is 1933, the Catholic Church never lost its grip of power in europe, a feudal society endures. A young french doctor, investigating the murder of a friend gets embroiled in a plot for world domination and a quest for the holy grail.

Why I like it:
A good story and Characters, all the elements seemed to work for me. I found the world building presented in the newspapers between chapters very well done.

Issue that is a good jumping on point:
Start from the start. It's all in trade paperbacks now (6 volumes)

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah but on the other hand, he's not drawing from the stupid expanded universe or the retarded prequels.
I dunno, I would've liked something EU like Knights of the Old Republic :shrug:

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

The EU is mostly ridiculous and I'd much rather read the fairly pointless adventures of Luke, Han, and Leia than about one of the sixteen million Jedi from six thousand years before the movies anyone cares about or whatever.

Again, my only real complaint with the new book is that it's not really the swashbuckling space adventure with the tone of the original movies that I was expecting, at least so far.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
I've slowly been getting caught up on Hellboy and BPRD. I'm caught up on Hellboy to current. As far as BPRD, I've read up through The Long Death. I think I'm in love with BPRD. I put off reading it for a long time, and it turns out it's my preferred series of the 2, and one of my favorite books on the shelf. I'm having a bit of trouble with the reading order though. What follows The Long Death? It's a bit hard to keep track of. Any good reading order guides out there?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Madrox posted:

I've slowly been getting caught up on Hellboy and BPRD. I'm caught up on Hellboy to current. As far as BPRD, I've read up through The Long Death. I think I'm in love with BPRD. I put off reading it for a long time, and it turns out it's my preferred series of the 2, and one of my favorite books on the shelf. I'm having a bit of trouble with the reading order though. What follows The Long Death? It's a bit hard to keep track of. Any good reading order guides out there?
This should help.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
Thanks. I had seen that site before, but somehow totally missed the Hell On Earth stuff below the initial BPRD list.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Darth Nat posted:

The EU is mostly ridiculous and I'd much rather read the fairly pointless adventures of Luke, Han, and Leia than about one of the sixteen million Jedi from six thousand years before the movies anyone cares about or whatever.

Again, my only real complaint with the new book is that it's not really the swashbuckling space adventure with the tone of the original movies that I was expecting, at least so far.

Have any comics other than maybe Legacy really accomplished this, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

No, which is why I was hoping this comic would do that, since it's just titled "Star Wars" and is a return to the classic characters and classic time period.