Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

gooby on rails posted:

it was ok but I had way more fun with the tie-in web game

same but 50 shades of grey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharktopus
Aug 9, 2006

i read rendezvous with rama a couple of days ago and then I realized the other 3 books were written by some other dude and are stupid character dramas

Sharktopus
Aug 9, 2006

in short gently caress you

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Sharktopus posted:

i read rendezvous with rama a couple of days ago and then I realized the other 3 books were written by some other dude and are stupid character dramas

1st book awesome. 2nd book, 1/2 awesome (the chapters written by Clarke, every other if I remember right). The rest suck.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

golgo13sf posted:

1st book awesome. 2nd book, 1/2 awesome (the chapters written by Clarke, every other if I remember right). The rest suck.

pretty much this
clarke owns though, go read a 2001

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

golgo13sf posted:

Lol if you don't think Stephenson didn't write that thinking he was writing the next Neuromancer.

lol you stupid idiot

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

*watches Airplane!*

Can you BELIEVE this?! That isn't how auto-pilots work!

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Sharktopus posted:

in general, authors writing or participating in the writing of followups to their best work 20 years after the original is a bad thing.

see also:

-asimovs foundation books outside the original 3
-indiana jones 4

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

Sharktopus posted:

they're not bad if you're teen/tween but don't read them for the first time if you a grown rear end adult

regularizer
Mar 5, 2012

I loved the baroque cycle, but I was craving a long series when I read it and the Jack Shaftoe 'books' were great. Cryptonomicon was good too, but it didn't give any more information about Enoch Root which was annoying. The humor throughout was great though.

I'm halfway through Revelation Space right now and I can't wait to move on to something else. I'm a sucker for futuristic contact with alien species we can't comprehend and long extinct sentient species, but I hate in depth descriptions of fake technology like how some of the super weapons hidden on the lighthugger work

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

regularizer posted:

I loved the baroque cycle, but I was craving a long series when I read it and the Jack Shaftoe 'books' were great. Cryptonomicon was good too, but it didn't give any more information about Enoch Root which was annoying. The humor throughout was great though.

I'm halfway through Revelation Space right now and I can't wait to move on to something else. I'm a sucker for futuristic contact with alien species we can't comprehend and long extinct sentient species, but I hate in depth descriptions of fake technology like how some of the super weapons hidden on the lighthugger work

well, cryptonomicon was written before the baroque cycle, the latter was the more info about enoch root

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MancXVI posted:

cryptonomicon is the novelization of michael bay's biopic of bonzoesc

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MancXVI posted:

cryptonomicon is the novelization of michael bay's biopic of bonzoesc
in it, voted 5

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Sharktopus posted:

in short gently caress you

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

a-a-a-anime!!!

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

kirk no

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
bridgu on the captain

u

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Amethyst posted:

lol you stupid idiot
snow crash is basically making fun of gibson's neuromancer/sprawl setting

the whole thing is a giant joke. we know it is a joke, because the protagonist-hero main character is named "hiro protagonist"

lol at people who read it or criticize it seriously

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Is Virtual Light any good? I got it a while ago but it's been pretty low-priority and I haven't read it yet.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
it's ok, kinda slow, I liked the other bridge trilogy books better

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

Amethyst posted:

*watches Airplane!*

Can you BELIEVE this?! That isn't how auto-pilots work!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

uegh, never made it through the Baroque cycle, it's still sitting on my bookshelf mocking me. and now I have pretty much forgotten everything in it, so if I want to have any chance of 'getting it' I will have to start over again...

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
i read the first book and then realized i didn't give a gently caress about a single page of what i had read, seemed like a good place to stop

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

i really liked snow crash, the diamond age, and also the cryptomonicon. i was never able to read anything else by Stephenson. his other books seem to laborious. i was hoping REAMDE would be good, but it seems uninteresting to me also.

my moniker, 'dan7el' comes from snow crashes 'da5id'. gently caress yeah. why not?

regularizer
Mar 5, 2012

You're cool

For an idiot bitch fucker

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

virtual light was p good, has some imagery that has stuck in my mind

Dan7el posted:

my moniker, 'dan7el' comes from snow crashes 'da5id'. gently caress yeah. why not?

because dan1el is what you would get if you were following the same rules, unless your name is danviiel

in which case thats a lot cooler than dan7el

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

axolotl farmer posted:

uegh, never made it through the Baroque cycle, it's still sitting on my bookshelf mocking me. and now I have pretty much forgotten everything in it, so if I want to have any chance of 'getting it' I will have to start over again...

same

e: but prostate milking scenes get me off so ill probably just reread that chapter a bunch

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Carthag posted:

e: but prostate milking scenes get me off so ill probably just reread that chapter a bunch

haven't read it

is this real i need to know

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yea somewhere in the first book

iirc its super detailed and p weird

regularizer
Mar 5, 2012

It's not like he says something like "and then Eliza stuck her fingers in Jack's butt and he came from his mangled dick for the first time in years", its just the two character's dialogue while its happening and it's maybe half a page of innuendo/jokes.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

PCjr sidecar posted:

because dan1el is what you would get if you were following the same rules, unless your name is danviiel

in which case thats a lot cooler than dan7el

lol

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Carthag posted:

yea somewhere in the first book

iirc its super detailed and p weird

lady puts on a sheepgut hand condom and rubs guy's prostate

he only has half a dick so he hasn't spurted in years

the Aristocrats

toby
Dec 4, 2002

haha oh yeah, that happened

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

toby posted:

haha oh yeah, that happened
                  /

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

axolotl farmer posted:

lady puts on a sheepgut hand condom and rubs guy's prostate

he only has half a dick so he hasn't spurted in years

the Aristocrats

dont forget the description of his old pent up semen

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
the only thing i remember from cryptonomicon was the guy going on about his stocking fetish.

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”
it's a good thing he has novels to write, or else he'd be out murdering hookers

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

axolotl farmer posted:

sheepgut hand condom

mods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

mjs6643 posted:

the only thing i remember from cryptonomicon was the guy going on about his stocking fetish.

best part of Crytonomicon is the deconstructionist beard analysis

• Locked thread