Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

(COUGHS, SHUFFLES FEET.)

I read the pigeon strips!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
I gotta admit the Doctor Disaster segments are not my favourites, but with the great pacing of the comic it wasn't really a problem, since just as they started to get annoying they ended and the story continued on it's way.

The City Face comics were pretty drat good though.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

I lost interest in Doctor Disaster and skipped to the next chapter, and subsequently skipped every Spacemonauts chapter in the archives. Have I missed any plot, or am I right to approach them as stand-alone adventures?

If you skipped the entire chapter there was one where the Spacemonauts bit ends like 2~3 pages in and it goes back to regular stuff, and there was some plot stuff there, yeah.

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=570

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.

(COUGHS, SHUFFLES FEET.)

I read the pigeon strips!

Aw, don't feel too badly. I think any webcomic that indulges in themes that deviate from the norm probably expect a loss of interest from a certain number of readers at least. I remember Jon Rosenberg posting about the drastic dip in readership during Good Hitler arcs while he was still doing Goats but that could possibly have been due to Good Hitler being about... Hitler. Good or not.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The stench of heresy has befouled this thread.

Doctor Randy Disaster is great and I hope we'll get another Spacemonaut adventure some time in the future.

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

I lost interest in Doctor Disaster and skipped to the next chapter, and subsequently skipped every Spacemonauts chapter in the archives. Have I missed any plot, or am I right to approach them as stand-alone adventures?

There is only one Spacemonauts chapter, by the way. Chapter 23 involves a 2 page fake out at the beginning. If you have skipped other chapters, you may find the plot difficult to follow.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

I... yes. I just read through chapter 23 and it turns out I missed some quality Parley and Smitty development!

Sorry, everyone. Sorry.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I... yes. I just read through chapter 23 and it turns out I missed some quality Parley and Smitty development!

Sorry, everyone. Sorry.

You drat well should be. :colbert:

Now go back and reread anything else you may have skipped, for good measure. Yes, this includes the spacemonauts. :commissar:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I got the first book for Christmas, and it is beautiful. :allears: I honestly didn't expect it to be so good. Well worth it, now if only I could find book 2...

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Nettle Soup posted:

I got the first book for Christmas, and it is beautiful. :allears: I honestly didn't expect it to be so good. Well worth it, now if only I could find book 2...

At first I was all, "Didn't book 2 just get re-released?" and then I looked and saw that they were all sold out! I only needed to wait a little longer to get a copy! :negative:

Ah, well. It's worth the wait!

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

IronClaymore posted:

Anyway, there are many many issues still to resolve. I will be patient and enjoy every moment.

Me too, I was just wondering if it was only a short bit left (I have a bad habit of starting comics a month or two before they end), or a medium bit or like, we haven't even scratched the surface.

Out of curiosity, who's the white-haired chick in the bonus pages?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Axiem posted:

Me too, I was just wondering if it was only a short bit left (I have a bad habit of starting comics a month or two before they end), or a medium bit or like, we haven't even scratched the surface.

Out of curiosity, who's the white-haired chick in the bonus pages?

Her name is Tea.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
I usually don't buy print copies of web comics, mostly because my bookshelves are already overflowing, but I may have to get them for Gunnerkrigg just to force them on my friends. I keep trying to spread the word, but they won't stick it out past the early art. :( Maybe with physical copies I can flip ahead and go "see? See?!"

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Anoia posted:

I usually don't buy print copies of web comics, mostly because my bookshelves are already overflowing, but I may have to get them for Gunnerkrigg just to force them on my friends. I keep trying to spread the word, but they won't stick it out past the early art. :( Maybe with physical copies I can flip ahead and go "see? See?!"

As an added bonus, Gunnerkrigg looks fantastic in print.

I usually point newcomers to the lasercow chapter (#24: Residential) as a pretty much self-contained story and sampler of the direction that the art is going that's not terribly spoilery: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=596

Flipping through that now reminds me just how much further things have evolved. I'm probably due to sit down and read the entire thing end-to-end again soon...

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
Why is it that Volume 2 specifically is so hard to find?

shelper
Nov 10, 2005

Something's still wrong with this code
So are there three robot factions running about now?

You have the robot maintenance dudes who originally wanted to destroy Shadow's CPU and have now sort of turned a blind eye to him running around.
Then you have the Robot King who seem to have accepted Robot well enough.
And now these guys? The design doesn't match either faction, but look to be a throwback to the old models.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Eldoop posted:

Why is it that Volume 2 specifically is so hard to find?

Volume 1 got a second printing around the time Volume 3 came out, but Volume 2 didn't.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

shelper posted:

So are there three robot factions running about now?

You have the robot maintenance dudes who originally wanted to destroy Shadow's CPU and have now sort of turned a blind eye to him running around.
Then you have the Robot King who seem to have accepted Robot well enough.
And now these guys? The design doesn't match either faction, but look to be a throwback to the old models.

I dunno, none of the other robots knew it was Robot in his new hoody-wearing body. They just knew him as the mysterious robot with clothes. Could be they just figured it out now (or were tipped off :tinfoil:)

They also look like these guys, who ran to the maintenance room.

Robot King, maybe. He seems pretty wacky.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Anoia posted:

I might be the only person, but I kind of liked the stylization in the earlier art. It made Antimony look like she was 11; now she should be like, 13, but she often looks like a miniature adult. Ah, just can't win :)

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Axiem posted:

I might be the only person, but I kind of liked the stylization in the earlier art. It made Antimony look like she was 11; now she should be like, 13, but she often looks like a miniature adult. Ah, just can't win :)

I definitely don't dislike the original stylized look, but I do like the direction it has evolved quite a bit.

I really enjoy comics where the art improves or changes over time, watching the creators pushing themselves to improve is inspiring.

There are a lot of fun things that turn up pretty early on in GC:

The TicTocs: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=13
Playfulness with different art styles: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=30
Precursors to ethereal magics: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=54
Mort! http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=62
Zimmy and Gamma: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=73
Reynard's Tea Party: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=96 (I love Kat's taste in action figures)
TicToc evolved: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=97
Muut: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=132 (who does not deal in electrical appliances)
Blinker Stone: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=135

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

From Chapter 25.

What's going on with Jeanne's eyes in this painting and the mantis robot's programming?

Did Diego hide something here with which to influence future robots?

Edited to add: I feel like discovering Jeanne's shrine was a distinct turning point in Robot's personality and focus.

TenKindsOfCrazy fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 30, 2012

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Quinton posted:

A list of pages guaranteed to cause accidental archive trawling

You bastard :(

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I've been rereading the archives. There were a few moments in the comic were I seriously stopped reading the first time just to take in the excellent conclusion of a chapter - some examples that come to mind are Shadow's expression here after Robot starts talking about how Kat can both give and take life, and Annie's explanation about his resentment towards Muut and other Guides.

This comic. :allears:

Azran fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 30, 2012

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Azran posted:

[...] Shadow's expression here after Robot starts talking about how Kat can both give and take life [...]

I'm in the process of rereading the whole thing, so maybe I'll stumble over this, but I don't think we've seen a clear reason for Shadow's dismay when Robot starts preaching about Kat as an Angel (God?) of Robots.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Quinton posted:

I'm in the process of rereading the whole thing, so maybe I'll stumble over this, but I don't think we've seen a clear reason for Shadow's dismay when Robot starts preaching about Kat as an Angel (God?) of Robots.

Because it's creepy and weird? Shadow also showed concern earlier in the chapter about Robot following K+A around, and also back in Skywatcher about Robot calling her an angel*. I mean I'd be pretty concerned if one of my friends started following another around and calling her an angel and also starting a cult based on her.

*why yes i did just re-read the series and do have all three books next to me why do you ask

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

I guess I've just been wondering if maybe there's something deeper (perhaps having to do with forest/court politics, GC mythology, or whatnot) in Shadow's concern/dismay, but it certainly could just be "I'm worried that my friend is becoming a stalker and/or cult leader"... looking at it that way, there's certainly enough to worry about.

EDIT: Interestingly, the first time we see Shadow frown is when Robot stops to look at the TicToc when crossing the bridge...

Quinton fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Dec 30, 2012

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Quinton posted:

I guess I've just been wondering if maybe there's something deeper (perhaps having to do with forest/court politics, GC mythology, or whatnot) in Shadow's concern/dismay, but it certainly could just be "I'm worried that my friend is becoming a stalker and/or cult leader"... looking at it that way, there's certainly enough to worry about.

EDIT: Interestingly, the first time we see Shadow frown is when Robot stops to look at the TicToc when crossing the bridge...

Shadow, being a creation of Coyote (well, a descendent thereof) probably has some awareness of understanding of the Ether. I wouldn't be surprised if he's worried about the effects of robotic belief.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
I wonder what Annie is nervous about here. Does it have something to do with the Medium thing? Looks like Annie has an important role in whatever it is. Maybe she was chosen? Or maybe she's carrying the ceremonial whatsit and giving a speech, I dunno. Is it a Parley fakeout? Or an Annie double fake-out? Or maybe we'll be triple faked out and it'll actually be Parley all along.

I may be overthinking this.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

M.c.P posted:

I wonder what Annie is nervous about here. Does it have something to do with the Medium thing? Looks like Annie has an important role in whatever it is. Maybe she was chosen? Or maybe she's carrying the ceremonial whatsit and giving a speech, I dunno. Is it a Parley fakeout? Or an Annie double fake-out? Or maybe we'll be triple faked out and it'll actually be Parley all along.

I may be overthinking this.

Yes, you really are overthinking this. It's probably just the medium selection results that Annie's worried about.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

VanSandman posted:

Shadow, being a creation of Coyote (well, a descendent thereof) probably has some awareness of understanding of the Ether. I wouldn't be surprised if he's worried about the effects of robotic belief.

I don't think every etheric being knows about that, Coyote made kind of a big deal about it being his great secret.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Was the "phantasam" typo fixed in the book?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

Was the "phantasam" typo fixed in the book?

No apparently not.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I found it cute that Annie had to grab Kat's arm to get a look at the watch. Obviously, Annie is not one to wear something like a watch, I guess.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
If she were outdoors, I'm sure she would have just looked up at the sun.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

I figure it's been asked before, but did Anny say here?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Brainamp posted:

IIRC, Gamma says "Stupid..." and Annie responds with "That's not a nice thing to say" or something similar.

Interestingly, if you google the words, the first results that come up are from people asking what Gamma and Annie were saying.

EDIT: Ah, found this again.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 31, 2012

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Thanks for reminding me of the most Mary Sueish part of early Gunnerkrigg! (The fact that Annie oh-so-conveniently knows Polish) :colbert:

Not dissing it now because it's much better, but I seem to recall that bit grating on me the most. It was all too convenient at the time.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
Edit: I was beaten and am bad at Polish

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Brainamp posted:

I think Gamma said 'stupid' and Annie points out it's not very nice.

Edit: That moved fast. Beaten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Thanks for reminding me of the most Mary Sueish part of early Gunnerkrigg! (The fact that Annie oh-so-conveniently knows Polish) :colbert:

Not dissing it now because it's much better, but I seem to recall that bit grating on me the most. It was all too convenient at the time.

Annie appears to know a few languages, so I'm thinking that's more a 'thing' about her and her abilities, maybe? She obviously gives no shits about schoolwork but knowing multiple languages at her age is uncommon. Maybe her mom focused on that stuff with her?