Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
So now I have a decent sized turkey carcass with quite a bit of meat on it... how do I turn this into soup? I've never made stock before, but I'd like to try. I have a slow cooker and a pressure cooker, if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
I made turkey stock after thanksgiving and it was pretty simple.

First I would say remove the big chunks of meat. This will be good to add to soup later.

Once you've got a fairly bare set of bones, break it down into workable size pieces and put it in a stockpot, along with a ton of roughly chopped carrots, onions, and celery. Add a bunch of fresh parsley and thyme.

Fill your pot with cold water, bring up to a simmer, and then turn the heat down so you get a bare simmer. Basically you want bubbles coming every couple of seconds, but not a constant stream of bubbles like it's boiling. Skim off any oil slicks of fat that come to the surface.

Let your stock simmer for anywhere from 3 to 6 hours. Strain occasionally when you can see fat collecting on the surface. More time is better but I know the feeling of wanting stock ASAP. After that, fish out the big pieces and strain out all the solids. My method is first strain it through a mesh colander to remove the larger pieces, then through a colander+cheese cloth to get the little bits.

Now you're basically done! It's important you get your stock cold pretty fast, or it could get nasty with bacteria. If you live in an area with seasons, now is a good time of year to just set the whole pot outside and let it cool down there. Otherwise, setting it in a cooler full of ice works too. Whatever you do don't put a big pot of hot stock in your fridge or freezer, or else you'll ruin all the food in there.

And it's that easy! I used my turkey stock to make turkey noodle soup, chicken and rice, and a braised pork shoulder. The possibilities are endless though! Note that you're gonna need to moderately salt whatever you make with the stock, since the stock itself doesn't have salt added to it. Good luck!

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Dec 26, 2012

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Can a person improvise a scotch egg without deep-frying?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Mescal posted:

Can a person improvise a scotch egg without deep-frying?

you could potentially do this by baking it, though it would take a bit longer to cook the sausage I imagine. Perhaps soft boil the egg before you apply the sausage then try baking it until the sausage is cooked.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

You could also shallow-fry it and just have to do a lot of turning.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I have:

-Chicken
-Carrots
-Chicken stock
-Pie crust
-Spices/normal baking ingredients

Can I make a chicken pot pie out of this?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I have a small beef tenderloin (about 6" long), stuffed with garlic and some cheese.

How long should that thing cook?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

the posted:

I have:

-Chicken
-Carrots
-Chicken stock
-Pie crust
-Spices/normal baking ingredients

Can I make a chicken pot pie out of this?

Yeah.

I made this one a while ago and it was pretty good.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

PokeJoe posted:

Yeah.

I made this one a while ago and it was pretty good.

I ended up:

Cooking brocolli, onions, green onions, and carrots, garlic, putting them with chicken stock, adding corn starch, water, cooking chicken, adding chicken and some salt into the whole mixture, then putting it into a pie crust. Now it's baking at 350. We'll see how it goes :ohdear:

the fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 27, 2012

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

me your dad posted:

I have a small beef tenderloin (about 6" long), stuffed with garlic and some cheese.

How long should that thing cook?

Until the center is 110 degrees, probo sear/grill the outside then roast at 350 for 8-10 mins and see how its doing. Pull at 110 rest to 120

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
You know how when you make a bowl of gelatin, sometimes there's a layer at the bottom that's thick and chewy? Is there a way to alter the preparation so the whole bowl turns out like that?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Danzou posted:

You know how when you make a bowl of gelatin, sometimes there's a layer at the bottom that's thick and chewy? Is there a way to alter the preparation so the whole bowl turns out like that?

add more gelatin

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
... or use less water?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

... or use less water?

that's unamerican. consume more!

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
also stir it several times while it's cooling

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah, that's basically the recipe for Jello Jigglers, which are way more fun to eat than boring-rear end regular Jello. If I remember correctly, just use half the amount of water you normally would.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I bought my sister and her new husband an immersion blender for Christmas and now I realize I don't have one and I really want one...Should I go for the same inexpensive Cuisinart model I bought them, or is there a better model I should spring for?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

RazorBunny posted:

I bought my sister and her new husband an immersion blender for Christmas and now I realize I don't have one and I really want one...Should I go for the same inexpensive Cuisinart model I bought them, or is there a better model I should spring for?

Technically a paco jet is an immersion blender - right?

I don't think you'll use it enough to go for something hellishly expensive tbh.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I was just thinking there might be a model that was a step above the $40 ones, but Cuisinart makes pretty good stuff, so maybe I'll just order myself the exact same one I got for them.

Puréed soups forever!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm about to run to the store to grab some last minute items for a veggie soup I'm throwing together in a crockpot to take care of left overs. I'm planning on cutting up some fresh carrots and celery, adding frozen peas and corn, some home canned green beans, and left over turkey.

I'd like to add lentils, but I'm not sure of how long they should be in the crock. I'm planning on giving this soup at least 3-5 hours and starting with my veggie stock, turkey, and carrots in the crock, then adding the frozen items maybe an hour into the process, and then the green beans near the end since they're already cooked and not frozen. This is all very much flying by the seat of my pants, but I really don't want to turn my lentils into mush, any suggestions?

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
It sounds like you're going to be around for most of the cooking time, so maybe you could cook the lentils on the stove until they're done to your liking and add to the soup at the very end.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Charmmi posted:

It sounds like you're going to be around for most of the cooking time, so maybe you could cook the lentils on the stove until they're done to your liking and add to the soup at the very end.

Duh! I can't believe I didn't think of this. :eng99:

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I have four big-rear end fresh cucumbers that need something done with them that isn't pickles. I was thinking cucumber bread, but that'll only take care of one of the buggers. Suggestions? I want to mostly pay homage to how light and refreshing they are.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Juice them and mix 50/50 with Pimm's #1

killa-pope
May 21, 2008
I got a countertop butter crock for Christmas, the kind that uses water to keep an airtight seal. I'm planning on breaking it in by making my own butter, but most sites say the longest life I can expect is a few weeks in the fridge.

Would I get the same on the counter? Or close to it at least?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Juice them and mix 50/50 with Pimm's #1

This.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I can't find any information on boiling water bath canning using alcohol as the "brine". It seems like it would be possible, but I'm new to canning, and don't want to make an assumptions.

Basically, I want to can peaches in brandy and cherries in whiskey. Now, before we go any further, I know that preserving in high proof alcohol doesn't need canning, but I was thinking of eventually giving some of these as presents, and it would just be more professional and polished if the jars were sealed.

Anybody have any information on this?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Fremry posted:

I can't find any information on boiling water bath canning using alcohol as the "brine". It seems like it would be possible, but I'm new to canning, and don't want to make an assumptions.

Basically, I want to can peaches in brandy and cherries in whiskey. Now, before we go any further, I know that preserving in high proof alcohol doesn't need canning, but I was thinking of eventually giving some of these as presents, and it would just be more professional and polished if the jars were sealed.

Anybody have any information on this?

I can't claim to be an expert, but here are some links:

http://www.newenglandrecipes.org/html/brandied-peaches.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/16/magazine/16food-t-000.html?_r=0
http://www.bunkycooks.com/2011/09/1951-brandied-peaches/

It looks like you're still best off processing the jars, for peaches at least, and that you'd go with some mixture of booze/sugar/water for the syrup and not straight booze.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I can't claim to be an expert, but here are some links:

http://www.newenglandrecipes.org/html/brandied-peaches.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/16/magazine/16food-t-000.html?_r=0
http://www.bunkycooks.com/2011/09/1951-brandied-peaches/

It looks like you're still best off processing the jars, for peaches at least, and that you'd go with some mixture of booze/sugar/water for the syrup and not straight booze.

Perfect. Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for. I was just being dumb and searching "canning with alcohol" instead of the recipes.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

NerdyNautilusGirl posted:

I have four big-rear end fresh cucumbers that need something done with them that isn't pickles. I was thinking cucumber bread, but that'll only take care of one of the buggers. Suggestions? I want to mostly pay homage to how light and refreshing they are.

Make a trio of cucumber salads. Man, I had the best cucumber salad at a Chinese place the other day. I was expecting it to be just like Japanese cucumber salad but instead of rice vinegar-based dressing, it had chili oil and...I have no idea, but mildly sweet. It was sliced cucumber and roasted whole cloves of garlic and some mild red peppers. Freaking delicious. Anyhow, figure out what that is and make that, and make Japanese salad with wakame and sesame seeds, and make the Italian-ish version with red onions, tomatoes, olive oil, and lemon.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

^^^ Went a bit off the wall and did avacado, roasted sesame seeds, bell pepper and cucumber salad, then did a strawberry/cucumber smoothie thing and cucumber bread. Good times. Good times.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
How would you cook shrimp and grits? I don't mind but also don't favor the type with a cream sauce. I'd like to emulate a recipe a few places around here that have a creole "meuni re sauce". Both places I have in mind have very spicy shrimp with a nice, deep, red sauce. Heavy on paprika/cayenne and I guess based with a roux? If anyone could suggest, or just share in general.

ed

conversely, my favorite * and grits lately is by the restaurant I posted a few weeks ago. Duck sausage, grits, and a muscadine pan sauce. It's really good, has a nice portion size and a good price. Triple threat.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 28, 2012

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
I made shrimp and grits after I saw it on Good Eats. He flambes the shrimp in bourbon. I loved it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXsj6auxbyE&t=389s

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

^^^ Went a bit off the wall and did avacado, roasted sesame seeds, bell pepper and cucumber salad, then did a strawberry/cucumber smoothie thing and cucumber bread. Good times. Good times.

That all sounds awesome. I was going to suggest putting cucumber slices in water too but it sounded boring. Strawberry plus cucumber sounds interesting though.

That Girl
Jun 21, 2004

If you still have some cucumber left, might I suggest making tzatziki? Just grate some cucumber, squeeze as much water as possible out of it, then mix it into greek yogurt with some minced garlic, a bit of lemon juice, olive oil, salt and dill.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
I want to make kimchi and I think it very unlikely I will find anything like "jarred salted shrimp" or the salted squid some recipes call for.

How about anchovies, sardines, or kippered herring?

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
You can make salted squid if you can find fresh/frozen squid. There are directions in this Maangchi kimchi recipe. I usually skip the seafood component in my kimchi. I made salted squid once and I didn't really notice a difference in flavor, plus I thought the texture of biting into a piece of squid was unpleasant.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

For my party tomorrow night, I got a request for the meatballs/keilbasa in ketchup and grape jelly sauce.

While I can admit that said sauce tastes pretty good, I don't think I can bring myself to make such an abomination. Any suggestions on a similar sauce I can make from scratch? Maybe just make a basic BBQ sauce?

Mrs. Gunderson
Nov 5, 2012

Why don't you do Swedish meatballs in a lingonberry sauce? That's always a hit at parties!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
So, I'm planning on making chicken stock for the first time this weekend and I had some questions.

I'm planning on removing the breast and poaching them to put into soup later, but the rest of the chicken is going to go into the stock. Should I brown the chicken and veg first, then add the water to the pot? Should I take the skin off? Should I take some of the meat off the drumsticks and roast those bones separately? Could I get away with tossing everything into the pot raw?