Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

That video is particularly hilarious, has V10 TDI engine is rather powerful for its size, its got nearly the same torque as as 2010 Dodge Ram Cummins.

Too bad the V10 bit the dust due to emissions.

the v10 is 6 liters, the duramax is 6.6, it's not that large of a gap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Aurune posted:

Crap, this guy has money and lovely taste.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Just wish I could empty quote this because nothing else needs to be said.
What a stupid body kit

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Aurune posted:

Crap, this guy has money and lovely taste.

Yes, he is a Panamera owner.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.
I finally saw one in person a few months ago. I had seen them on top gear, and in pictures on the internet, but I couldn't let myself believe that it looked as bad in real life as it did in print. All the hate had to be hyperbole or 911 purists being... well, 911 purists.

Nope, it really is that ugly.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

the v10 is 6 liters, the duramax is 6.6, it's not that large of a gap.

Its 5 liter twin turbo:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Volkswagen_Group_diesel_engines#4.9.2F5.0_V10_TDI_PD_230-258kW

The 6 Liter is the V12 TDI:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Volkswagen_Group_diesel_engines#6.0_V12_48v_TDI_CR_DPF_368kW

And that is even more powerful....

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

MonkeyNutZ posted:

It's this video:
"VW Touareg V10 TDI Vs. Chevy Duramax Bumper pull"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k62gW3Se5e0

Someone tell me who won, because from what I can tell, everyone there already lost a long time ago.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Memento1979 posted:

Someone tell me who won, because from what I can tell, everyone there already lost a long time ago.

The Touareg is the winner, the human beings in the film, if we can call them that, are just accessories.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

MonkeyNutZ posted:

It's this video:
"VW Touareg V10 TDI Vs. Chevy Duramax Bumper pull"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k62gW3Se5e0

The most terrible thing here is the simple webbing rope that is being used to connect them. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a lovely autoparts store tow rope with metal hooks (:stare:) and fatigue from constant use in redneck pissing contests. I'm not wishing ill on them, but those things snap and whip around without much warning.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

grumplestiltzkin posted:

I finally saw one in person a few months ago. I had seen them on top gear, and in pictures on the internet, but I couldn't let myself believe that it looked as bad in real life as it did in print. All the hate had to be hyperbole or 911 purists being... well, 911 purists.

Every time I see one it catches me off guard. If it's coming right at you, it looks like any other Porsche. Then you see the side, and I can't help but laugh at it.

Plankalkuel
Mar 29, 2008

grumplestiltzkin posted:

I now work near a Porsche factory. Panameras and Cayenes everywhere :negative:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Cayenes and Panameras subsidize all the cool/good Porches so I wouldn't be too terribly sad that so many people buy them.

Until they decide to coast on their brand name cachet and stop making 911s and Boxsters and poo poo.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

While the sale of Cayennes and Panameras certainly adds to their war chest, I think they're more likely to use that money on leveraged buy-outs and other business type things than subsidizing sports cars. I can't imagine they're selling 911's at a loss, even before a buyer ticks all the ludicrously priced option boxes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

EightBit posted:

The most terrible thing here is the simple webbing rope that is being used to connect them. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a lovely autoparts store tow rope with metal hooks (:stare:) and fatigue from constant use in redneck pissing contests. I'm not wishing ill on them, but those things snap and whip around without much warning.

Its pretty common for them to use a tiedown for some reason.

And to contribute along those lines of stupidity:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh9sMxVVVpw

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
So, in principle, what should break first in a pull off? The clutch?

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Linedance posted:

While the sale of Cayennes and Panameras certainly adds to their war chest, I think they're more likely to use that money on leveraged buy-outs and other business type things than subsidizing sports cars. I can't imagine they're selling 911's at a loss, even before a buyer ticks all the ludicrously priced option boxes.
No, but people quickly forget that Porsche flirted with bankruptcy before they diversified into the Cayenne.

While they don't sell the 911 at a loss, every little bit must be custom designed, and that adds significantly to the cost of the car. At some point, you can't invest in R&D of new features because you don't have enough cash in your war chest nor enough vehicle lines to amortize it out among. For example, increasing the quality of fit and finish is extremely difficult when you're selling 4000 cars, all of which come with their own heavy costs. It becomes a lot easier when you're selling ten times that amount.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

This is a first for me, at least - posting horrible automotive poo poo as found within the RockAuto newsletter:

RockAuto posted:

Dorman decided it would be a good idea to offer a new air filter housing for the ’05 to ’07 Ford Focus because the original air filter housing is a completely sealed unit. It is impossible to simply open the box and change the air filter. Why Ford chose to do it this way is a bit of a mystery. I asked at a Ford dealer’s service department and they presented it as a benefit: “You never have to change the air filter on that car.”

Searching through Ford Focus enthusiast forums, one explanation I saw was that Ford wanted the Focus to be classified as a partial zero emissions vehicle (PZEV) in California. Those rules required the car’s air intake system should never require maintenance. “Never requires maintenance” was equated with “make maintenance impossible.” That sounds crazy enough to possibly be true! Luckily no government organization specified that a PZEV never needs gasoline or Focus owners might have discovered their gas caps were welded shut!

Great move there Ford :psypop:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Groda posted:

Depends, clutches in trucks are usually fairly strong, especially in trucks that have been heavily modified. Its usually something weaker along the drive train that'll go first, like the axles or transmission.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Groda posted:

Preferably, ground traction or the engine should stall, but if I had to choose a hard part to break I'd likely go with an axleshaft or driveshaft.

It looks to me like he may have twisted the yoke off the pinion gear in his front differential, not broke the driveshaft. Not entirely sure. If that's the case you are looking at a few thousand in damage if dealer repaired or probably around a thousand if brought to a 4x4 shop.

e: "cummings" :eng99:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The Powerstroke Help episode about the guy doing a Dodge v. Ford pull-off is pretty awesome too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT25YAxkn5k

The entire bottom end goes (starting with the crank, apparently) when you get a guy who apparently cranks up the boost as far as he can. The Dodge chucked a driveshaft.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 28, 2012

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Great move there Ford :psypop:

What do other PZEV manufacturers do to get around this?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Snowdens Secret posted:

What do other PZEV manufacturers do to get around this?

In the manual it says "doesn't require maintenance," and they leave a housing you can loving open.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
What kind of crazy bullshit is an air filter that "does not require maintenance"? Do you just throw out the entire loving vehicle when it inevitably gets full of poo poo?

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

EightBit posted:

What kind of crazy bullshit is an air filter that "does not require maintenance"? Do you just throw out the entire loving vehicle when it inevitably gets full of poo poo?

I've heard of planned obsolescence but this is crazy! How on earth does emissions rating's have anything to do with changing an air filter? Does the filter count as a waste/emission? I don't even...

Also similar was the "lifetime" differential and transmission fluid on my E46, I'm sure the car loves that.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Wouldn't that attempt to improve emissions compliance, actually increase emissions when the filter gets clogged? Interesting solution to the problem.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

EightBit posted:

The filter is not paper but some fancy foam thing designed to last for 150k miles and even includes a flow restriction indicator so you know when the unit needs to be changed.

My understanding is that it is actually there as a combination of PZEV regulations requiring a 15 year or 150k mile emissions system warranty and to comply with anti-tampering requirements of the PZEV specifications by impeding idiots from installing some ebay "cold air" intake or high-flow filter which throws emissions of the vehicle off. Alternately maybe they didn't have room in the engine bay to put such a large/long-lasting filter in a position where it could be easily replaced and combined with the long service life just decided to seal the whole thing up instead of having a more expensive assembly and risking the seals failing (which they would be on the hook for under the PZEV requirements).

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

CommieGIR posted:

Its pretty common for them to use a tiedown for some reason.

And to contribute along those lines of stupidity:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh9sMxVVVpw

I'm not sure what entertained me more made me want to punch my monitor harder:

• This YouTube comment: "pluss that Hummer has over 700 pounds of tork. that ford doesnt standa chance",
  • The Ford driver hammering the rope taut like an ignorant jackass, or
  • The bro screaming into the camera at the end. "Yo Powerstroke 'MURRICA, dat was a fukken 4 CYLINDER Cummins! :hawaaaafap:"

Content: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n4ubLMjgGU

Doesn't get good until 1:20. "Hurr, dealership told me I can do anything in my new H2. Imma cross this muddy lake!"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cenodoxus posted:

Content: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n4ubLMjgGU

Doesn't get good until 1:20. "Hurr, dealership told me I can do anything in my new H2. Imma cross this muddy lake!"

I just love pointing out that its a GMC Tahoe, not even really a Humvee relative.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Devyl posted:

It's not a "proper" car (for me anyways) until Chevrolet gets off their stuck-in-the-past attitude about keeping the engine in the front. Make it rear-engine, shorten the front by a good bit and now we're talking.

The Vette and the Viper seem to do fairly well at places like Le Mans with their antiquated driveline layout.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Shifty Pony posted:

The filter is not paper but some fancy foam thing designed to last for 150k miles and even includes a flow restriction indicator so you know when the unit needs to be changed.

wipeout posted:

Wouldn't that attempt to improve emissions compliance, actually increase emissions when the filter gets clogged? Interesting solution to the problem.

When I tried to envision an air filter large enough to last 150,000 miles, I kept coming back to this mental image:

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 29, 2012

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I have to pull out the element and tip / beat the dust out and empty out all the dead bugs / rocks every few thousand km. I couldn't even imagine how angry a sealed filter would make me. Probably even angrier than the sealed transmission does. Obligatory statement. gently caress you, Ford.

oddspelling
May 31, 2009

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

PainterofCrap posted:

When I tried to envision an air filter large enough to last 150,000 miles, I kept coming back to this mental image:

What the hell is that thing? Some early attempt at natural-gas powered car?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

oddspelling posted:

What the hell is that thing? Some early attempt at natural-gas powered car?

Not exactly. Unless I'm mistaken it's the same as wood gas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_gas

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

General_Failure posted:

Pretty much, it is wood gas for when you don't have any wood or coal but do have a heck of a bunch of wheat straw (such as on the great plains in Canada). Here is an Old Popular Science article and a little article about the car.

oddspelling
May 31, 2009

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

General_Failure posted:

Shifty Pony posted:

Pretty much, it is wood gas for when you don't have any wood or coal but do have a heck of a bunch of wheat straw (such as on the great plains in Canada). Here is an Old Popular Science article and a little article about the car.

Neato.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

The Vette and the Viper seem to do fairly well at places like Le Mans with their antiquated driveline layout.

Calling the suspension "ox cart" on a modern vette or mustang (I don't know what's up with the viper) is pretty disingenuous. Yeah, it's an easy dig, and it's less than optimal as a general layout (see: rear engine 911) but what has been done with it is pretty amazing and hardly as prehistoric as people criticizing it would like you to believe.

Also, the vette has a torque tube if I'm not mistaken. That's a pretty big deal in a lot of ways even if it's not cutting edge technology (and it's not).

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Motronic posted:

Calling the suspension "ox cart" on a modern vette or mustang (I don't know what's up with the viper) is pretty disingenuous. Yeah, it's an easy dig, and it's less than optimal as a general layout (see: rear engine 911) but what has been done with it is pretty amazing and hardly as prehistoric as people criticizing it would like you to believe.

Also, the vette has a torque tube if I'm not mistaken. That's a pretty big deal in a lot of ways even if it's not cutting edge technology (and it's not).

If they still used four wheel unassisted drum brakes and won their class like they do in road racing throughout the world, it hardly matters what shortcomings people perceive them as having. Thinking they aren't "proper" cars because they have a FR layout while they have the racing pedigree they've earned over the last 15 years is pretty silly, IMO. FR is still a very valid way of going about building a performance car.

The Viper is an IRS setup IIRC, and saying the Vette has an oxcart rear suspension isn't exactly the best way of describing it. Either way, like I've said, both have been incredibly successful at Le Mans, and have been the 911's only real and consistent competition in GT for quite some time now.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Dec 29, 2012

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Maybe someone with more academic background in suspension design can explain this better but I want to bounce a thought that I am having about the Corvette's leaf springs.

The way they use a transverse leaf spring is actually a very smart way to set up a road car. On a normal car, the weight of the car is transmitted from the wheels to the springs to the shock towers and the unibody. This means that the unibody is the final point of stress for the torque and thus have to be strengthengd accordingly. This you have poo poo like chassis braces and strut tower bars and the like. On a Corvette the weight also goes from the wheels to the springs, but in this case the springs themselves are stressed members that are a part of the car's underbody "backbone" that goes transversely across the car as one solid piece. So the "strut towers" on a Corvette don't need to be as strong as they would be on a regular car with a unibody and coil springs, because the weight of the car isn't resting on the strut towers and the body isn't being twisted when the car is turning hard. Thus the entire body can be made lighter and roomier (for bigger engine :911:), while retaining the torsional rigidity of the backbone and the leaf springs, and the car's CoG is brought down very low because all the "stiff" parts are very low to the ground already.

The downside to this setup is that you can't adjust the spring rate of the leaf springs very easily on the fly like you could with coil springs, so that's why race cars (and the C5R) still stick to coils, and a race car needs a ridiculous amount of cross bracing from the roll cage anyway.

The Viper should go to a rear transaxle like the Vette though. The complaints with the current Viper are that there's no space to put your feet and the pedals because the huge transmission is in the way, and when driven hard the transmission is still heating up the cabin a lot. On the old Viper the transmission could actually heat up the interior enough to make it uncomfortable for the driver.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Throatwarbler posted:

The downside to this setup is that you can't adjust the spring rate of the leaf springs very easily on the fly like you could with coil springs, so that's why race cars (and the C5R) still stick to coils, and a race car needs a ridiculous amount of cross bracing from the roll cage anyway.
A lot of interesting points, but unless I'm mistaken (which I'm rather confident I am not) a springs rate is constant throughout its range of motion. Coil overs simply allow the adjustment of the preload or tension of the spring, usually changing the ride height. This would still be much easier to achieve than adjusting preload on a leaf spring (if that's even a thing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I mean a pit crew could just have a bunch of different coil springs lying around and swap them out when needed.