Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The GIG posted:

They'd just pick the middle ending and just say something like "Orochi's spirit is still out there!" or something. Or just make another crossover setting.

Well, they already included a time-travel mechanic that gives no fucks. I don't think consistency is going to bug anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
They could have another dude show up and do the same thing and have a few of the characters go 'This feels familiar'.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

I just saw that DW8 trailer, and this is the best bit - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcCypisQFzE&t=177s

As far as these style of games go, I played DW7 a year or two ago but haven't touched any other games since, or anything outside of the main franchise. What would be a good game to get to tide me over, since it's christmas and I haven't bought myself a present yet? I've heard good things about Warriors Orochi 3, I think it was.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Thievery posted:

I just saw that DW8 trailer, and this is the best bit - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcCypisQFzE&t=177s

As far as these style of games go, I played DW7 a year or two ago but haven't touched any other games since, or anything outside of the main franchise. What would be a good game to get to tide me over, since it's christmas and I haven't bought myself a present yet? I've heard good things about Warriors Orochi 3, I think it was.

Warriors Orochi 3 is a good one, since it pulls together both Dynasty and Samurai Warriors characters into a fun package, and it let's you get a feel for the SW games since the characters control differently. In my opinion it's the best pure Koei Warriors game made.

Another good one that's coming out in February is DW7: Empires, which has a strategic and political aspect, as well as a character creator.

And one that's older and I haven't played but everyone else here loves is Samurai Warriors 2, either vanilla or Empires depending on want story or deeper mechanics. Just remember that SW works a touch differently from DW.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Policenaut posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNCtC00qO_o

One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 official trailer

I hope this ends up good. I've been playing more of the first one and really the only problems with it are the QTE platforming sections and the fact that there are only nine different levels across all the characters.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

The GIG posted:

Warriors Orochi 3 is a good one, since it pulls together both Dynasty and Samurai Warriors characters into a fun package, and it let's you get a feel for the SW games since the characters control differently. In my opinion it's the best pure Koei Warriors game made.

Another good one that's coming out in February is DW7: Empires, which has a strategic and political aspect, as well as a character creator.

And one that's older and I haven't played but everyone else here loves is Samurai Warriors 2, either vanilla or Empires depending on want story or deeper mechanics. Just remember that SW works a touch differently from DW.

I second a recommendation for WO3 or Empires. WO3 is probably the best Warriors game ever made. The only warning going into it is that there is no English VO. Same with Empires.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
Anyone in here have the Wii U edition of Warriors Orichi 3?

Is there an issue with the sound effects, or does the patch fix it? The voices and music are loud and clear but there are NO sound effects. They are turned all the way up in the options.

flashdim
Oct 19, 2005

Still losing criticals

Stealthed Zombie posted:

Anyone in here have the Wii U edition of Warriors Orichi 3?

Is there an issue with the sound effects, or does the patch fix it? The voices and music are loud and clear but there are NO sound effects. They are turned all the way up in the options.

I've got it but haven't had that issue yet. I've put a couple dozen hours into it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

English trailer for OP: PW 2. I'd love to get excited, but I only just finished the Alabasta arc. Tecmo Koei also talks about things they plan to improve upon with One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1skYaYLcTo

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose

flashdim posted:

I've got it but haven't had that issue yet. I've put a couple dozen hours into it.

Seems to be fixed after the patch. Really weird. Did you patch first because maybe the patch fixed the issue or it was just a weird glitch the first time I popped it in.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

"There weren't enough open spaces" isn't really a problem I had with the first one. I assume they're just taking feedback from the Japanese fans though, and maybe they didn't mind only having nine stages and almost no story mode whatsoever, or really terrible action stages. Unless "more open space" means "less lovely action stuff," then that would fix at least one of my complaints.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Twelve by Pies posted:

"There weren't enough open spaces" isn't really a problem I had with the first one. I assume they're just taking feedback from the Japanese fans though, and maybe they didn't mind only having nine stages and almost no story mode whatsoever, or really terrible action stages. Unless "more open space" means "less lovely action stuff," then that would fix at least one of my complaints.

People have been complaining about the side games basically being a "corridor and rooms" design for a while now. Personally I feel like OPPW feels less like you're constantly running through corridors than any of the other games since the "corridors" are really short and the maps are so visually open. I can understand them wanting to control the flow of a map but it is kind of frustrating that their idea of doing it in at least three of their series is to just give you rooms connected by hallways when they do such a (mostly) great job of using terrain and forts and what not in DW/SW/WO.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So I picked up a PS3 recently (credit for the sale goes to Okami HD :swoon:) and I now want to take a crack at the Empires demo, but I can't find it on Playstation Store :(

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

So I picked up a PS3 recently (credit for the sale goes to Okami HD :swoon:) and I now want to take a crack at the Empires demo, but I can't find it on Playstation Store :(

Unless some rear end in a top hat didn't tell me something, it's only in the JP store, and there I have no clue how it goes.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

I think I can help.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So how do you save the DW7 & XL to the PS3 harddrive. The 0.2 second pause between conversation bubbles (that isn't there on the 360) is bugging me more than it rightfully should.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

SirPhoebos posted:

So how do you save the DW7 & XL to the PS3 harddrive. The 0.2 second pause between conversation bubbles (that isn't there on the 360) is bugging me more than it rightfully should.

I do not believe there is a way to save data to the hard drive for faster loading.

More DW8 news:

http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/smusou7/#home

Reveals for Xiahou Ba, Guo Jia, and Jiang Wei. Ba keeps the Siege Spear from Empires as expected but it looks like Jiang Wei gets the Short Pike from the 7 DLC. rip Jiang Wei

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Is it that bad???

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Actually I think that's a double headed spear. It has two ends and is too long to be the Pike.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

The GIG posted:

Actually I think that's a double headed spear. It has two ends and is too long to be the Pike.

It's possible but if you look at the end it, it looks very very similar to end of the Pike. The Short Pike and the Moon Ring are my least favorite weapons.

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?
I didn't actually mind the Short Pike myself. It seemed so utterly generic to me and really wasn't that fun to use. Nothing really exciting about it at all, average damage, average comboing ability, average range. Compared to the other weapons of the pack that had the Bombs and Beatstick, it was certainly the weakest. Jiang Wei works for it, I forgot he still had the spear cloned with Ma Chao.

Moon Ring was pretty awful. I bought it, slapping it on Ding Feng for some trial runs, struggled with killing three officers, switched back to throwing people. Maybe an EX-attack will help it, I don't know.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I also thought the short pike was generic but tolerable. Which seems okay to me considering that there are like 70 other people to play as and it's not like anyone should want to play as Jiang Wei any more than absolutely necessary anyway.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
They also just put up a video of Romance of the Three Kingdoms 12 getting a port for the Vita.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA7dtOa4a9Q

Too bad it will never get an overseas release.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Looking at screens, the head is similar but that thing is definitely double ended.

EDIT: Looking around, it looks like it's actually his weapon from Strikeforce 2:

The GIG fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Dec 29, 2012

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

You know, DW7XL has required me to unlock the main game portions two additional times. I hope this isn't an intentional design (like some twisted DRM function), as it's beginning to irritate me.

EDIT: And now it's asking me to do it again!!! :argh:

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 30, 2012

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Is there at least some sort of pattern of when you're required to unlock it?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Urdnot Fire posted:

Is there at least some sort of pattern of when you're required to unlock it?

So far the pattern is "every time I start up XL."

I'm guessing that this is not a common problem or I would have heard much more about it. Still doesn't change the fact that It's goddamn irritating.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

SirPhoebos posted:

So far the pattern is "every time I start up XL."

I'm guessing that this is not a common problem or I would have heard much more about it. Still doesn't change the fact that It's goddamn irritating.

It happens to me every time I play a different game that is not XL. Like say I play XL then play WO3 then go back to XL it'll need DW7 again if I want that content. This is still slightly better than the 3-5 XL games that needed to be switched every time no matter what.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Belzac posted:

It happens to me every time I play a different game that is not XL. Like say I play XL then play WO3 then go back to XL it'll need DW7 again if I want that content. This is still slightly better than the 3-5 XL games that needed to be switched every time no matter what.

Yeah, it just stores the poo poo in memory so even if you just go a couple of days without playing you have to do it again. Personally I'd rather have to swap the disc once per game than have all of DW7 sitting on my hard drive.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Holy loving poo poo, what the hell is is with Koei and them dumping you back to the title screen no matter loving what when you get disconnected from the internet without even loving saving your game or anything? I'd literally just finished the stage and nope, back the loving title screen how dare you not be connected to the internet, even though you haven't even downloaded any DLC.

Does this poo poo happen on the PS3, if not that the last time I ever buy the 360 version of a Warriors game.

VVVV Orochi 3 and it happened with Ken's Rage as well, but then it didn't seem to happen with DW Gundam 3 unless my internet didn't drop out once while playing it, which I refuse to believe considering how spotty my internet is and how much time I played that for.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Dec 31, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sakurazuka posted:

Holy loving poo poo, what the hell is is with Koei and them dumping you back to the title screen no matter loving what when you get disconnected from the internet without even loving saving your game or anything? I'd literally just finished the stage and nope, back the loving title screen how dare you not be connected to the internet, even though you haven't even downloaded any DLC.

Does this poo poo happen on the PS3, if not that the last time I ever buy the 360 version of a Warriors game.
Huh, never heard of that happening on the PS3, but I dunno if the internet has ever dropped out while I was playing. Which game was it?

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Sakurazuka posted:

VVVV Orochi 3 and it happened with Ken's Rage as well, but then it didn't seem to happen with DW Gundam 3 unless my internet didn't drop out once while playing it, which I refuse to believe considering how spotty my internet is and how much time I played that for.

I was playing Orochi 3 on the PS3 a night or two ago and my internet poo poo the bed while I was in the middle of rescuing Magoichi Saika. It didn't boot me back to the main menu, so I'd wager for whatever reason that it's a 360 only thing.

Speaking of WO3, holy poo poo this game is amazing. I'm just rolling around as Zhou Tai, Deng Ai, and Sun Shangxiang and wrecking the poo poo out of thousands of dudes every mission, no grinding required. If I ever get a Wii U, I'll probably double up on it there, too just because I loving love this game.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I'm wondering if I'm missing something re: SW2 and the XL expansion on 360. I have both saved to my hard drive, but when I start up SW2 it only has the base game options to choose from, and trying to select XL from the dashboard tells me I can only access it from inside the main game. :confused:

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

iastudent posted:

I'm wondering if I'm missing something re: SW2 and the XL expansion on 360. I have both saved to my hard drive, but when I start up SW2 it only has the base game options to choose from, and trying to select XL from the dashboard tells me I can only access it from inside the main game. :confused:

I have no idea how it works on 360 but for PS games you have to load up the XL version first, and access the vanilla stuff from inside that game.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Got it working, turns out I had to do a license transfer. I didn't think it had been that long since I first downloaded XL. :v:

I forgot that it gives you access to every character off the bat as well, but I'm assuming it still requires you to clear story mode with certain characters to count as "unlocking" others for achievement purposes.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
They posted this image on their official page yesterday:

I have no idea what it says, maybe some kind of New Years card from Omega Force?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yeah, it's Tecmo Koei's New Years card. It's a big thing in Japan to put out something like that for New Years, a lot of companies do it.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Extremely late on actually playing DW7 and hoooooly gently caress is Shu's story mode The Worst. Like I know they tend to get preferential treatment in the series and in the novel but DW7 seems to have ramped it up to obscene levels to the point where even the book would be like "dude, tone it down a bit would you". The Three Brothers are the greatest people ever and every officer of Shu is just oh so noble and purehearted but none moreso than Liu Bei who is far more good than Jesus Christ himself and if you so much as side glance at him then you're an irredeemably terrible person and Shu is so good that even their famously incompetent ruler Liu Shan is actually a beacon of righteousness. Also, Shu is powered by excessive amounts of benevolence and virtue.

I've never really liked Shu and thought they always had the more boring characters in the series but I kind of wanted to throw up the entire time I was playing their story.

Meanwhile Wu is just going to slide more and more into irrelevance with each game and late era Wu and dudes like Lu Kang may as well not exist considering they're getting Lu Su and Han Dang if the leaked roster is true, and it's been right so far.

Suben fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 3, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Suben posted:

Extremely late on actually playing DW7 and hoooooly gently caress is Shu's story mode The Worst. Like I know they get preferential treatment in the series and in the novel but DW7 seems to have ramped it up to obscene levels to the point where even the book would be like "dude, tone it down a bit would you". The Three Brothers are the greatest people ever and every officer of Shu is just oh so noble and purehearted but none moreso than Liu Bei who is far more good than Jesus Christ himself and if you so much as side glance at him then you're an irredeemably terrible person and Shu is so good that even their famously incompetent ruler Liu Shan is actually a beacon of righteousness. Also, Shu is powered by excessive amounts of benevolence and virtue.

I've never really liked Shu and thought they always had the more boring characters in the series but I kind of wanted to throw up the entire time I was playing their story.
Well, on the other hand, the Jin story is about the Shu kingdom's descent into idealistic flailing, so there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Suben posted:

Extremely late on actually playing DW7 and hoooooly gently caress is Shu's story mode The Worst. Like I know they tend to get preferential treatment in the series and in the novel but DW7 seems to have ramped it up to obscene levels to the point where even the book would be like "dude, tone it down a bit would you". The Three Brothers are the greatest people ever and every officer of Shu is just oh so noble and purehearted but none moreso than Liu Bei who is far more good than Jesus Christ himself and if you so much as side glance at him then you're an irredeemably terrible person and Shu is so good that even their famously incompetent ruler Liu Shan is actually a beacon of righteousness. Also, Shu is powered by excessive amounts of benevolence and virtue.

Meanwhile Wu is just going to slide more and more into irrelevance with each game and late era Wu and dudes like Lu Kang may as well not exist considering they're getting Lu Su and Han Dang if the leaked roster is true, and it's been right so far.

You are going to love Jin's storyline so very, very much.