Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Has anybody mentioned ShadowCaster or CyClones by Raven. CyClones was the first (or one of the first games) to have mouse look.

Also here is Navy Seals 3 Quake which was the Gooseman Quake Mod that Action and Counterstrike descended from...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
CyClones' cheesy movie scenes kinda deserve a cult following in their own right.

Shadowcaster was very nice.

Antignition
Oct 13, 2010

The city looks almost bearable from up here.
First time playing doom again in years and I'm enjoying the hell out of the earlier suggested Brutal Doom + Community Chest 4 combo. (Thanks DominicWhite) Just finished up map 7, hoedown, which was loving insane. On this map I had to break my no saving rule. Probably my least favorite of the bunch so far but every other map has been pretty golden.

I feel like it's going to be hard going back to regular doom after this, but at the same time I don't really want to play brutal doom on maps that weren't designed around it.

Honestly one of the worst things about the regular doom weapons I think is the horrible muzzle flashes, particularly on the pistol and minigun. Are there any mods that pretty up the graphics/animations of the guns but otherwise leave them alone? I think that would go a long way towards making playing vanilla GZDoom a bit more bearable.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I asked over in the Steam thread but figured it wouldn't hurt to do so here as well. I'm about to give Dark Forces 1 a go, but are there any source ports or such I should be aware of?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Antignition posted:

I don't really want to play brutal doom on maps that weren't designed around it

cchest 4 wasn't designed around brutal doom.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
I think you could count on one hand the number of maps whose developers considered Brutal Doom at all while balancing them. The only ones I can think of were created by the same guy that made Brutal Doom itself. With anything else, your mileage may vary -- fights designed around specific monster behaviors that are changed in BD will play out completely differently, and the extent of BD's changes is enough that this probably encompasses just about every major fight in every map. If you're wanting to get the intended experience from a mapset, play through it without external gameplay mods first.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

iastudent posted:

I asked over in the Steam thread but figured it wouldn't hurt to do so here as well. I'm about to give Dark Forces 1 a go, but are there any source ports or such I should be aware of?

No.

There is a recreation of the engine (like a source port, except not based on the source code since it never was released) called DarkXL; but it is in beta, and has been so for a couple years without any new release. You can play most of the game with it, but there's a weapon that'll cause a crash when you pick it up and also alt-fires aren't implemented and I think some of the very late game enemies don't have their logic yet.

If you want to try it, head over there.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

When I play a map/wad for first time I normally use Beautiful Doom (I love the sounds!) and avoid using BD because some fights are completely hosed up because Imps jump at your face or lost souls being absolutely a pain in the rear end. Another alternative is Samsara because while you get to play with different chars/weapons, moster behaviour is the same.

Antignition
Oct 13, 2010

The city looks almost bearable from up here.

esselfortium posted:

I think you could count on one hand the number of maps whose developers considered Brutal Doom at all while balancing them. The only ones I can think of were created by the same guy that made Brutal Doom itself. With anything else, your mileage may vary -- fights designed around specific monster behaviors that are changed in BD will play out completely differently, and the extent of BD's changes is enough that this probably encompasses just about every major fight in every map. If you're wanting to get the intended experience from a mapset, play through it without external gameplay mods first.

This is exactly my thought process based on what I've heard. And that's why I'm just looking for something that at least makes the vanilla arsenal look a little better, but keeps the actual gameplay unchanged. The animations and muzzle-flashes in brutal doom are so much better.

Maybe I'll try CC4 without Brutal Doom at some point to see just how different it actually is for myself.

Amethyst posted:

cchest 4 wasn't designed around brutal doom.

This is true. But as another poster said it gels pretty well with it, and I don't mind missing out on the "intended" experience this one time. I played the original campaigns to death so I wanted to try brutal doom with a mapset I hadn't played. It's not something I would want to do repeatedly. I'm thinking next I'll probably play DTWID vanilla, unless people endorse it alongside brutal doom.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
Perkristian's smooth weapons animations are nice; they don't alter the outward appearance of the graphics, but smooth out their animations pretty significantly with a lot of new frames: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5no9cu0Nlk

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Has anybody mentioned ShadowCaster or CyClones by Raven. CyClones was the first (or one of the first games) to have mouse look.

I remember CyClones! System Shock had a similar control scheme and was overall the better game, but it was still pretty cool.

iastudent posted:

XL Engine is still under active development; the developer's planning a beta release of the Daggerfall version within the next month, with Dark Forces beta support shortly afterwards. It's not really playable as-is, though, so your best bet is either to wait, or play it in dosbox.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

XL Engine is still under active development; the developer's planning a beta release of the Daggerfall version within the next month, with Dark Forces beta support shortly afterwards. It's not really playable as-is, though, so your best bet is either to wait, or play it in dosbox.

The Steam version comes with some version of dosbox, so I have that at least. Is there a way to set it in dosbox to run it in a window?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

iastudent posted:

The Steam version comes with some version of dosbox, so I have that at least. Is there a way to set it in dosbox to run it in a window?

Open the dosbox.conf and change fullscreen=true to fullscreen=false, or import it into a frontend like DBGL and change the settings there, or press alt-enter once it's running.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

Open the dosbox.conf and change fullscreen=true to fullscreen=false, or import it into a frontend like DBGL and change the settings there, or press alt-enter once it's running.

I grabbed DBGL and got it working in there. I'm now wondering though if there's a way to map look up/down to the mouse. The game feels like it has some kind of autoaim, though not as much as, say, Doom. Would putting up/down on the mouse be practical or what would work better than leaving it on page up/down?

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Speaking of XLEngine, there's not enough love for Outlaws in the thread. The "Sanctuary" level was genius in early FPS level design.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Guillermus posted:

When I play a map/wad for first time I normally use Beautiful Doom (I love the sounds!) and avoid using BD because some fights are completely hosed up because Imps jump at your face or lost souls being absolutely a pain in the rear end. Another alternative is Samsara because while you get to play with different chars/weapons, moster behaviour is the same.

This is what I've been doing. I like the meatier sounds and graphics of Beautiful Doom and I'm tired of Brutal Doom on everything I want to feel more... modern, I guess.

I feel like a bad person now.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I really like Beautiful Doom except it seems to have some really serious problems with inefficiently generating objects, or something. It really chugs like crazy as soon as you start shooting rockets at things.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Guillermus posted:

I loving love Samsara. As you said, its great for testing WADs because most everything stays the same.

Also, co-op hilarity. Just ran through PLUTONIA.WAD for the first time (I know) with a friend, myself as doomguy and he as security (he's a mac fanboy). It was just so much goddamned fun. :)

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Commander Keenan posted:

Speaking of XLEngine, there's not enough love for Outlaws in the thread. The "Sanctuary" level was genius in early FPS level design.
Outlaws was the first game I played that had room-over-room. It blew my mind.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

ChickenHeart posted:

Also the trophy would be completely two-dimensional and always be facing the viewer regardless of the angle they are viewing it at (also also when can we expect the next release, I need to throw a brick at Mecha-Hitler like you wouldn't imagine).

I wonder if it's possible to engineer a Cacodemon version of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67g6wCMrZCU

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Ayin posted:

Outlaws was the first game I played that had room-over-room. It blew my mind.

Not to mention that soundtrack.

Commander Keenan fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Dec 29, 2012

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I started and finished Dark Forces 1 yesterday. I actually ended up having more fun with it than I thought I would at first. The only things that irked me about the game:

1) Lack of mouselook on y-axis when it's supported on x-axis. There aren't too many places where you really need it, but there's some situations like high turrets where it would've helped.
2) The level design is impressive for its time, but in some areas I got confused on where to go due to repeating textures and had to use the map to check my bearings.
3) The turning platform in the next-to-last stage. I get why it's set to turn so slowly, but once you know what to do in that room it doesn't make it any less tedious to wait for it to point where you need to go.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Does Megaman 8-bit Deathmatch have a campaign, or some singleplayer experience of sorts? It would be awesome if someone rebuilt the classic maps using the look of the multiplayer maps, complete with enemies and bosses. :allears:

My internet is very limited at the moment, so an actual mp match is out of the question, but I do love the look and idea of that mod.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Oenis posted:

Does Megaman 8-bit Deathmatch have a campaign, or some singleplayer experience of sorts?

It does, but it's a series of deathmatch with bots (plus some special boss maps, a safe hub to return to between each series of matches, and a simple storyline). It doesn't play like the original Mega Man games 3D-fied.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Thanks, well, better than nothing I suppose, I'll give it a try. Right now after taking a little Doom break I'm Back to Saturn X, and once again really enjoying it. I love the new textures and even though I thought I'd hate the no-jumping aspect, the maps flow actually better and monster variety and fights are really good, just as I like them. I just ragequit after being torn to shreds by a Spider Mastermind in about 2 seconds due to careless positioning. And panic. :(

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Red_Mage posted:

With a dx10/11 rendering DLL and an updated launcher to allow for modern resolutions, UT99 could pass as a budget game made this year.

That engine is also a work of genius.

I think Quake 3 has aged more gracefully, the fluid animations alone make it feel much more recent than UT and Half-Life.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just picked up the DOOM deal from steam. What's a good launcher for GZDoom? I had one a while ago, but can't remember what it was called.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

sector_corrector posted:

I just picked up the DOOM deal from steam. What's a good launcher for GZDoom? I had one a while ago, but can't remember what it was called.

ZDL. It's in the OP.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Internet Doom Explorer is also nice for launching single-player games in any source-port.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The original Quake is two bucks and change on Steam for another 11 hours or so.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
For those that haven't already, you should really follow Rise of the Triad's Facebook page. They frequently post some neat concepts and renders alongside fan-made stuff, and so far it's done nothing but raise my faith in Interceptor's handling of the license:

Even the gun models are chock full of little touches.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

ChickenHeart posted:

For those that haven't already, you should really follow Rise of the Triad's Facebook page. They frequently post some neat concepts and renders alongside fan-made stuff, and so far it's done nothing but raise my faith in Interceptor's handling of the license:

Even the gun models are chock full of little touches.
I'm the dopefish.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WHOIS John Galt posted:

I'm the dopefish.
Oh my god I am so excited for this RotT reboot.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
This is an odd question I'm sure but I just picked up the classic Doom games from Steam and I am wondering, are any of those source ports (ZDoom, GZDoom, Zandronum, etc.) portable or do they need to be installed in order to run?

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Im_Special posted:

This is an odd question I'm sure but I just picked up the classic Doom games from Steam and I am wondering, are any of those source ports (ZDoom, GZDoom, Zandronum, etc.) portable or do they need to be installed in order to run?
I know GZDoom is portable since I just put it back on my computer a few hours ago to try out the new version of Reelism (which looks loving awesome by the way, Kins, and congrats on the award for it :)). Some of the other ones might have portable versions available, but I dunno which ones off the top of my head outside of GZDoom.

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010

Im_Special posted:

I know that Zandronum has a portable install, I'd think the other ones have some kind of thing like that too.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Im_Special posted:

Only ports that come with an installer, as far as I know, are Zandronum, Doomsday, Risen3D, and an experimental branch of Eternity.

ZDoom, GZDoom, and most other ports, do not need or have an installer. Also, all of them can work without actual installation; it's just that they use the installer to do additional stuff (like Zandronum associating itself with the .wad filetype).

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I have an USB drive that I use at work sometimes filled with Doom, Hexen, etc... and ZDoom, GZDoom, Zandronum, eDuke32 and all Quake/Quake2 ports are portables.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I know that I'm drifting dangerously close to TFR territory here, but my anticipation of the new ROTT drove me to buy a ROTT pistol.

My only regret is not buying a pair of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just got the classic dooms. Should I just jump into this Brutal Doom thing, or play them as they originally were? With gzdoom, of course.