Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Doh004 posted:

Waiting is difficult :saddowns:

We do not have a 1, 2 or 4. Maybe we should? We will eventually make our app for the iPad.

What's frustrating as they specifically said they used an iPad 3 running 6.0.1, which is exactly what we have as our testing device.

Got an email Friday afternoon saying the app was in review, again. Fifteen minutes later got the app ready for sale email. Must have been a one issue that they didn't see again when reviewing it.

:woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klem_johansen
Jul 11, 2002

[be my e-friend]
I've got a client who wants ios6 features but refuses to leave out the iPad 1 market segment by leaving ios5. For now I'm keeping them at ios5.1 but at some point soon they won't have a choice, right? We'll all be forced to leave the original iPad behind. Is that the long and short of it?

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
You can check OS version in your code... (is this not what you're looking for?)

But to clarify, yes, Apple has no qualms about forcing us to abandon iPad1. In fact, we had to drop support for iOS 3 in order to support the iPhone5's new resolution.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

klem_johansen posted:

I've got a client who wants ios6 features but refuses to leave out the iPad 1 market segment by leaving ios5. For now I'm keeping them at ios5.1 but at some point soon they won't have a choice, right? We'll all be forced to leave the original iPad behind. Is that the long and short of it?

What features are we talking? If it's something that the app can still function without, you can always do respondsToSelector: checks or check the version of iOS that's running. With that, you can not use certain features by just not running bits of code that would crash in iOS 5. If your entire interface is going to be a fancy collection view, you're out of luck, though.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
It's a pain in the rear end to weak-link and create instances from string names though; unlike missing selectors, missing classes will cause a crash when the module is loaded.

For the record, Apple sold almost as many iPads in Q3 2012 as all iPad 1 devices combined. The iPad 1 is a vanishingly small part of the market, less than 20% at this point, possibly less than 10% after Apple posts the holiday quarter numbers.

Just price it higher to keep iPad 1 compatibility and point out the total number of devices, then the client can decide if it is worth it.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

klem_johansen posted:

I hope not. I have an iPad 3, but my iPad 1 is still a great little unit, even if its mostly just used as a remote for xbmc these days.

That said, one side effect of it not running ios 6, is I've rooted the crap out of it, and my boot screen is loving batman!

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
A question for all of you iOS devs. I'm really hoping to get into iOS development- what kind of Macbook/Apple computer do you recommend for iOS development?

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

melon cat posted:

A question for all of you iOS devs. I'm really hoping to get into iOS development- what kind of Macbook/Apple computer do you recommend for iOS development?

Cost, performance, or convenience?

Don't go with a mac pro - it's overkill for learning. Too powerful and expensive for someone just starting out, and even for professional use.
Don't go with an iMac - it's either not upgradeable enough, or not mobile enough (incidentally, I develop on one, and while it isn't bad, I regret it)

Mac mini with upgraded RAM will certainly work just fine. Most people at work use this.
Macbook Air for mobility. The SSD should work fine. It'll stutter a bit if you tax its graphics, or if you do a lot of computation, but compilation is a lot of disk I/O which the SSD will mitigate (and some CPU, which it won't), so it won't be too bad. Also, the battery will last much longer on a single charge.
Macbook Pro for mobility plus power. And weight, and screen size.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Don't go with a mac pro - it's overkill for learning. Too powerful and expensive for someone just starting out, and even for professional use.
Don't go with an iMac - it's either not upgradeable enough, or not mobile enough (incidentally, I develop on one, and while it isn't bad, I regret it)

Mac mini with upgraded RAM will certainly work just fine. Most people at work use this.
Macbook Air for mobility. The SSD should work fine.
Macbook Pro for mobility plus power.
Definitely looking for cost + convenience. I was looking at the Air, but holy poo poo. $999. :aaa:

Soup in a Bag
Dec 4, 2009
If you already have a display/mouse/keyboard you're happy with, a Mac mini would be your cheapest option and even a used one would be great starting out. I mostly use an Air now, but I have an early 2009 mini that's still great for Xcode, Ableton Live, and some games. I've upped the RAM to 8GB, but besides that it's stock. I'll probably throw an SSD in it at some point and it should be fine for a few more years.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Macbook Air for mobility. The SSD should work fine. It'll stutter a bit if you tax its graphics, or if you do a lot of computation, but compilation is a lot of disk I/O which the SSD will mitigate (and some CPU, which it won't), so it won't be too bad. Also, the battery will last much longer on a single charge.

I use a 21.5" iMac for my development needs and like it a lot. The screen is gorgeous, and up until the latest revision the 21.5" iMac had easily upgradeable RAM (the 27" still does). I don't miss it not being portable; trying to do actual work on a tiny laptop screen has always aggravated me.

Also, the Mac mini might as well be the official iOS dev kit. My early 2009 Mac mini was a hell of a machine, and I'd still be using it for iOS dev work if other needs hadn't prompted me to upgrade to an iMac.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Doc Block posted:

I use a 21.5" iMac for my development needs and like it a lot. The screen is gorgeous, and up until the latest revision the 21.5" iMac had easily upgradeable RAM (the 27" still does). I don't miss it not being portable; trying to do actual work on a tiny laptop screen has always aggravated me.

Also, the Mac mini might as well be the official iOS dev kit. My early 2009 Mac mini was a hell of a machine, and I'd still be using it for iOS dev work if other needs hadn't prompted me to upgrade to an iMac.

The problem with the iMac is that the hard drive isn't easily swappable, and the monitor is a part of the thing, so if for example you need to upgrade to an SSD to cut down on some tedious disk-bound thing, your computer and your monitor go with it. It's been an issue at work and is the reason I haven't been upgraded. That said, the machine is good.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I can't really give any advise but I will say don't underestimate a RAM and SSD update. Got both for a 2009 MBP going to 16 gigs and a 320Gig SSD and it's a whole different ballgame for development purposes.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

My old iMac was a great machine. Whilst I like my macbook pro , the screen size sometimes bugs me, and I prefer a big rear end 27" monitor

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Ok, I don't even know how to start figuring this out, so hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

So I'm making this game and in this game there is a map. Users can have their character travel from point A to point B by tapping where they want to go. The map will then show a little icon displaying where they are on the map over time along the path to their destination. Travel times can be anywhere from 5 minutes to a few hours. So, if travel time between point a and b is 5 minutes, then at 2:30, it should show the icon halfway between the two points.

How do I go about doing this? If the path from point A to point B was a straight line, it'd be pretty easy, but I want it to show the player moving along the actual roads on the map and they are anything but straight.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

melon cat posted:

Any kind of Mac will be fine.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

jerkstore77 posted:

Ok, I don't even know how to start figuring this out, so hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

So I'm making this game and in this game there is a map. Users can have their character travel from point A to point B by tapping where they want to go. The map will then show a little icon displaying where they are on the map over time along the path to their destination. Travel times can be anywhere from 5 minutes to a few hours. So, if travel time between point a and b is 5 minutes, then at 2:30, it should show the icon halfway between the two points.

How do I go about doing this? If the path from point A to point B was a straight line, it'd be pretty easy, but I want it to show the player moving along the actual roads on the map and they are anything but straight.

Do you already have a method for finding the path between point A and point B? It should be composed of some number of line segments, I would imagine. Iterate through the list of line segments to determine which segment the player is currently on, and the distances from start and end at each endpoint of that segment, and the problem is then reduced to the straight-line case.

Ultimately, you have to have some mathematical description of the roads on the map, though, so if you only have a list of distances and then some kind of bitmap, you're still hosed.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

PT6A posted:

Do you already have a method for finding the path between point A and point B? It should be composed of some number of line segments, I would imagine. Iterate through the list of line segments to determine which segment the player is currently on, and the distances from start and end at each endpoint of that segment, and the problem is then reduced to the straight-line case.

Ultimately, you have to have some mathematical description of the roads on the map, though, so if you only have a list of distances and then some kind of bitmap, you're still hosed.

I don't have anything yet. Just trying to work the logic of it out. I'm not too worried about the pathfinding algorithm as much as I am figuring out where the player is on the segment anytime the player opens up the map. I need to have some sort of way for the app to decide "there's 63% of the time remaining on the trip to point B so I need to place the sprite at 37% of the total distance of the path."

I'm thinking either an array of straight line endpoints like you mention or using cocos2D's various bezier path options. Straight line will probably be easier to figure out where the player is based on the time remaining.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!

melon cat posted:

I've been working pretty successfully for the past 3 months with a borrowed 2 year old 13" MBP with 4 gigs of RAM. It's not uber fun and snappy like my 16 gig ubuntu box, but I've somehow managed to put together a lot of reasonable code with it. I swapped the old HD with a SSD and I never work on it without my 24" screen attached, so I get some sort of vertical dual-screen. You want a large resolution screen if you're going to be running the simulator for Retina screens, especially the iPad.

If my startup ever gets any amount of funding I'll most certainly upgrade to something beastly. I'm tempted by the giant mac towers (what a ripoff, money-wise) but I think a last model MBP is the least worst, since it lets you move around if you have to. Not impressed by how much the OS's UI lags on that ultra-high-res screen though, I'm hoping the next iteration of MBP makes that a lot less noticeable, although I suspect it might take years to push that many pixels comfortably.

DreadCthulhu fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Dec 28, 2012

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Flurry / MixPanel-related question: what do you guys do to find out more about the more interesting scenarios? For example, I want to know how many days pass on average before someone decides to make a IAP. I want to know what they usually do BEFORE a IAP happens. I want to rank what the most common flows are before I make a sale so I can optimize for that.

Am I entering the territory of what basic analytics dashboards can no longer easily display and so I need to manually crunch the data I can download from these services to get to the answers I need?

Pact
Dec 27, 2012
Can anyone recommend me good resources for learning Objective C and programming for the iOS? I have been programming with C and C# for a few years, so I'm looking for something that would summarize the additions to the language from C without explaining basic things.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

DreadCthulhu posted:

Flurry / MixPanel-related question: what do you guys do to find out more about the more interesting scenarios? For example, I want to know how many days pass on average before someone decides to make a IAP. I want to know what they usually do BEFORE a IAP happens. I want to rank what the most common flows are before I make a sale so I can optimize for that.

Am I entering the territory of what basic analytics dashboards can no longer easily display and so I need to manually crunch the data I can download from these services to get to the answers I need?

Check out the Flow section/thing in Flurry.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Pact posted:

Can anyone recommend me good resources for learning Objective C and programming for the iOS? I have been programming with C and C# for a few years, so I'm looking for something that would summarize the additions to the language from C without explaining basic things.

Read Programming with Objective-C for the basic overview. Then read Cocoa Design Patterns.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

Pact posted:

I was in the same boat and just did the CS-193P course, but skipped the homework/exercises and the first lesson or two because he basically just covers the iOS-specific stuff, not "how I does objects orientation programs". It really helps to see someone using UIKit in context, otherwise it's easy to get lost. Objective-C I just picked up by doing it, you'll quickly learn how X in C still works, but Y is a better fit in Objective-C.

nullfox
Aug 19, 2008
I'm having an issue saving and fetching an image to and from CoreData. My CoreData entity has a couple string properties and a binary data property called imageData.

I have added a getter/setter to my model subclass for image/setImage with the following code:

code:
- (void)setImage:(UIImage *)image
{
    NSData *data = UIImagePNGRepresentation(image);
    [self setImageData:data];
}

- (UIImage *)image
{
    return [UIImage imageWithData:[self imageData]];
}
The issue is, when I add and save a new instance of this entity, with the image set, my table view, which implements a fetchedResultsController then adds the new row and the image doesn't show. If I log it, it shows null - the odd thing is, if I tap the row to go to a detail screen, the image shows up there.

Is there a noticeable delay between telling CoreData to save, the actual save and the time that a fetchedResultsController gets told to update? If so, is there a way I can account for it?

Pact
Dec 27, 2012

Thank you, I will look into those.
By the way, how is this book: http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-iOS-Development-Exploring-SDK/dp/1430236051 ? Someone else recommended it to me.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
It's out of date since iOS 6 is out. Given your experience, try Apple's online documentation first and then see if you need a book or not.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Doc Block posted:

Check out the Flow section/thing in Flurry.

Hm, I'm not finding this anywhere. I'm only using the free Flurry analytics, would that be available to me?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

I thought your second link would be to the documentation with the same name, which I found quite helpful.

For what it's worth, I read the book you linked having already used Cocoa for several years and thought it was trash. But maybe it's useful for a beginner.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

I'm going through it now and I'm liking the justifications for the Obj-C specific solutions to common problems. I am still a beginner, though.

edit:nevermind

lord funk fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 29, 2012

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I liked Cocoa Design Patterns, but it does need an update.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I'll have another look. Maybe I got just far enough in to be disappointed and bailed too early.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
(Yet Another) Core Data question that I can't find the right google for....

I have a List object. It has Section objects. A Section has Item objects. If I want to display all Items in a list, grouped by Section, I can do that easily using a FetchedResultsController: fetch Items, and group by section.name. Hooray!

However... A Section might not have an Item in it, but I still want to show that in the table view (I will display a 'no items' placeholder row, and each section has an 'add item' button in the header.)

Is there a way to do that via a FetchedResults controller? I can manually do it by fetching Sections, putting them in an array and so on, but as this table will be heavily edited, using a fetched results controller will allow me to be lazy.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

DreadCthulhu posted:

Hm, I'm not finding this anywhere. I'm only using the free Flurry analytics, would that be available to me?

Whoops, it's called Funnels.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Doc Block posted:

Whoops, it's called Funnels.

Got it. I'll play around with that, see what happens.

On an unrelated note, our apps seem to have only about 13.5% of users using iOS version < 6.0. That's quite close to the point where I'm willing to drop those people in favor of forcing everybody on 6.0+.

What are some 6.0 features that blew your mind? Our apps do Facebook integration through Parse and I'm thinking it might be smoother if this whole process is directly supported by the OS. Anything else I might be missing out on?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

UICollectionView
UIKit support for NSAttributedString

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

DreadCthulhu posted:

Got it. I'll play around with that, see what happens.

On an unrelated note, our apps seem to have only about 13.5% of users using iOS version < 6.0. That's quite close to the point where I'm willing to drop those people in favor of forcing everybody on 6.0+.

What are some 6.0 features that blew your mind? Our apps do Facebook integration through Parse and I'm thinking it might be smoother if this whole process is directly supported by the OS. Anything else I might be missing out on?

One of my apps only requires iOS 5.0 and, according to Flurry, only 1% of my users are on it. Only about 10% are on 5.1.

So the next version is dropping 5.0 support. Gonna take some work to drop 5.1, since there's some ugly orientation code in there and apparently apps that are 6.0+ have to do interface rotation differently or something.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

pokeyman posted:

UIKit support for NSAttributedString

What are some use cases for NSAttributedString that makes it so useful? Is it just more customization of font, or am I missing something?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
You can format the text, so you can have some parts bolded, italics, larger or smaller fonts, different fonts, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Doc Block posted:

So the next version is dropping 5.0 support. Gonna take some work to drop 5.1, since there's some ugly orientation code in there and apparently apps that are 6.0+ have to do interface rotation differently or something.

This sucks to do, but in the end I like the 6.0 rotation system better. It puts the decision to rotate in one place instead of every view controller you make.