Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
Completed The Walking Dead. It's pretty good for what it is, but I wish they didn't pretend your choices matter. You have very limited input on what happens. That said, I did get genuinely angry at NPCs in a video game so that's something and the story is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I always felt they should have changed that opening line to something like "Your choices will influence your opinion of events." It's more accurate and, frankly, a really neat thing to boast especially when discussions devolve into "he was a dick/no I liked him" which you just don't see for many RPGs. There's usually a clear cut opinion the devs want you to have but gently caress if I didn't sympathize with Kenny all the way through while other people disliked him by Chapter 2 only to like him again in Chapter 3 then hate his guts and so on.

Finished Portal 2 and Darksiders. It's a good game but there are too many moments where the only escape is a single wall 500 feet away (and through a grate) and the game expects you to carefully scan the horizon looking for it. The amount of loading screens are also ridiculous. The Source engine still impresses me graphically but there are more loading screens than test chambers in the entire facility.

Darksiders was really enjoyable. It's Zelda with God of War and towards the end they just smashed as much cool poo poo as they could into the game culminating in a loving portal gun (literally) for one level. The dungeon design was great but combat left a lot to be desired. I can say I would have enjoyed the game more if they completely removed the combat because the level design was really fantastic. It somehow made block pushing puzzles fun. Who knew?

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
For whatever reason the current sale just isn't singing to me at all. Possibly because I've bought some of these games before, or maybe it really is just plain underwhelming. In any case, I've been making good progress through my backlog relatively unhindered. Three more down:

Faerie Solitaire: Got it when it was free, and did not expect it to be quite so addictive. You barely notice the hours passing. It's a genuinely good, fun game, as most people will attest to I think. Beat the story mode and the challenges but as I'm not a 100% completionist type I'm not going to grind for those last few pets.

Syberia/Syberia 2: Might as well lump them together cause very little separates them gameplay-wise (pretty much just a couple extra idle animations for Kate, I think). Overall I liked them, but with some reservations, though I don't want to be too harsh as they are like ten years old by now. Clunky animations, some UI inconveniences, etc., nothing too serious. I disliked some of the art direction, which bordered on cartoony for some characters. I felt that clashed a bit with Kate's rather normal appearance.

I can't forgive the dialogue, however. It's just atrocious in every possible way. Borders on Two Worlds-level, on occasion, just absolutely horrible. Presumably it was originally in French? If the original script is decent then it got massacred in translation, or else it was awful from the start. The voice acting is similarly painful but I'm reluctant to fault the actors too much as they had very little to work with. Put subtitles on and click through it.

Pacing was pretty good, although at times I did feel like the game was constantly sabotaging my progress (i.e. you solve one problem and a brand new one pops up. Again and again and again). Obviously there are always obstacles in your path in any game, but in this case some of them felt a little forced, and consequently slowed down the plot. The puzzles are mostly fine throughout with the exception of a few at the end of the second game. I loathe puzzles where you have to decipher some unknown civilization's codes/symbols/language. I had a horrible flashback to that one island in The Longest Journey.

It also really needed a longer cutscene at the end to resolve Kate's situation. Even just putting her on a train somewhere in Russia with an inner monologue voiceover would've done the trick. It's so abrupt. Give me something. And now apparently Syberia 3 is in development... but why? The story's pretty much wrapped up. Strange.

Anyway, in short, they are good but flawed games. Like most adventure games.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Im_Special posted:

Talk about reality check, after seeing this chart I think it's time I put some serious effort into playing some of my poo poo, my god it's so bad...

Dafuq

Pretty. It would be better if Steam didn't add four days onto my Sims play time. :argh:

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
I own way too many games on Steam and, as a New Year resolution, decided to beat roughly one game per week, playing a couple of hours a day (with some extra time on weekends).

Can you guys recommend games that are around 10-12 or less hours to beat, give or take? Any genres are fine. Also I am talking about finishing a single-player campaign, not necessarily collecting every single thing or replaying on a higher difficulty setting (I tend to play shooters on the hardest setting from the start).

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Spec Ops:The Line, any Call of Duty title, the Walking Dead, Hotline Miami, Mark of the Ninja would be a decent start, if you link something with a list of your unfinished games like backloggery or that steam time analysis thing would be a lot easier.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat

MonsterUnderYourBed posted:

Spec Ops:The Line, any Call of Duty title, the Walking Dead, Hotline Miami, Mark of the Ninja would be a decent start, if you link something with a list of your unfinished games like backloggery or that steam time analysis thing would be a lot easier.

Certainly. Here is my Steam profile:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/DoctorOfLaws/games?tab=all

Anything with very few hours has never been played. :(

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

DoctorOfLawls posted:

It's like looking into a mirror.

Bastion, Braid, Indigo Prophecy, Loom, Spec Ops, Trine & Trine 2, and any of the modern warfare/black ops games are all pretty quick.

One thing I would suggest is playing spec ops on easiest and blasting through it, the gunplay is solid but pretty bland and shouldn't hold you back from experiencing the narrative.

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

DoctorOfLawls posted:

In case you needed a number

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I beat Dungeon Siege III with all side missions completed! It's a really good game, surprisingly. On the other hand, I was gifted Tropico 4 by a friend. :negative: Bye bye hope of progress.

EDIT:

HAH. I've played 3/4 of my games, and it looks like most of the ones marked unplayed I played before time logging was added(8 year Steam veteran) or are sequels/expansion packs I haven't gotten around to or duplicates of games I have off Steam that I got in packs.

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 26, 2012

DanManIt
Sep 5, 2008
Beat Shank in one day. Take that backlog!

I thought it was really fun too, a good fast-paced melee game. I ca't even remember the last time I played a game that was like this one.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Since I've been traveling cross-country for the holidays, I have been unable to play Steam games on my desktop. Fortunately, however, my backlog is filled with games across multiple platforms.

Beat Rayman 3D: this is a port of Rayman 2: The Great Escape, which was a great Nintendo 64 platformer. It is not so great on the 3DS. The port is buggier than I remembered the 64 version being, and some levels were infuriating due to the weird camera and control bugs. However, I pressed through, because I never finished the original green cartridge version on the 64, and I needed to justify my launch day purchase of this game (and the system itself).

LordAndrew
Jul 13, 2009

Walking death machine equipped with the knowledge of Nuclear.
Finally sat down and finished some of the games I started:

Beaten: RAGE - What an absolutely gorgeous looking game this was. The fact that it ran at 60 FPS was offputting at first because I've never played a game that ran that smoothly. Shame about the rest of the game though; the gameplay was incoherent, the plot was all over the place, and the ending felt extremely rushed and left so many questions open about every drat thing. The ending sequence itself was just disappointing.

Beaten: Dead Island - Coming off of RAGE and playing this was hard because Dead Island feels awful to control. The novelty of the game wears off pretty quickly too once you get past killing tons of zombies on an island resort and into fighting humans with guns and bumbling around a city. Also, the cast of playable characters are probably the most unlikable group of assholes I've ever seen. I also played through the whole game alone, which probably dampered the experience a bit.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
Back in October, I felt myself severely burning out on video games. Consequently, I took about a month and a half break from my gaming PC and instead decided to marathon through all six(?) seasons of the Doctor Who reboot (my god what a fantastic show). The break really helped to relieve the "gaming fatigue" I was feeling at the time, and around the first of the month I started playing again...

BEAT: Trine 2. I don't think I could have picked a better game to start with. Trine's fantasy world is rich and exquisitely detailed, and the minor balance tweaks mean that I actually had reason to use characters other than the Wizard a lot of the time. It's really just pure joy in game form.

BEAT: Blackwell Unbound. I love the recent trend in 2-3 hour adventure games. Honestly, I've never played an adventure game that I've felt benefits from being any longer than that. Wadjet Eye really seems to be at the forefront of this sort of game, and the second entry in the Blackwell series doesn't disappoint. Great story, great characters, (mostly) no-nonsense puzzles, and no filler.

NULLED: Two Worlds Epic Edition. I was enjoying the intro to this game in a sort of ironic, campy way, until I got to the combat, which is the jankiest I've ever seen in an action-RPG, ever. Yeah. This one isn't for me.

BEAT: Dead Space 2. Another sequel that improves upon the first in pretty much every way. I even felt like giving Isaac a voice instead of leaving him as a silent protagonist just worked. My only complaint? Get rid of the loving QTEs already.

NULLED: Cave Story+. More of a case of just not "getting it," really. I can't really pinpoint why, but I just found myself apathetic to this one. Maybe because I'm tired of the standard MetroidVania formula.

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

:420: party everyday :420:
Added Bad Rats, Condemned: Criminal Origins(both gifts) and Sleeping Dogs (only $17 on sale). With work through the holiday season I've had no times for games, either. Going to start making up for that.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I told myself I wouldn't buy anything during the sale but talk is cheap and so are the games.

I beat Deadlight. If there's a definition for "Wasted Potential" it's this. It's a beautiful looking platformer with some genuinely exciting set pieces that's totally ruined by a lack of communication and poor controls. When you're designing a precision based platformer you need clear "rules" that govern the controls but Randall will do things like jumping forward if he turns while standing or being completely winded after swinging an axe 3 times even though he can climb, jump, and run as good as Nathan Drake. The story also takes a huge nose-dive in Act 2 when it stops becoming The Walking Dead and turns into Saw except you befriend your potential killer despite him building a labyrinthine deathtrap in the sewers of Seattle to "test you." In fact, most of Act 2 is a plot piece that's completely unrelated to the rest of the story. You could remove it and nothing would change.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I'm buying games like they're going out of fashion this Christmas. At least I'm playing them too. :gbsmith:

I just beat RAGE. I'm confused by why it says DON'T TURN COMPUTER OFF I'M TOTALLY SAVING YOUR GAME constantly when there was one autosave in the entire game that I'm aware of.

The enemies do a really good job of ducking and weaving as they close. The shotgun sounds beastly and is great fun but the rest of the weapons were pretty boring. I would've thought having a shotgun that can also fire grenades would be... awesome. I was having an ok time up until the last Mad Max clan, the Jackals, who are apparently post-human assholes that can take point blank shotguns to the chest.

At least with the early game enemies I was clearly missing thanks to their juking but nope, these guys just straight up give no gently caress. Bizarrely the easiest way to kill them was to stock up on the throwable boomerang-blades and nail them as they charged.

So many pointless driving bits. I know you're really proud of your world and it does have some gorgeous views but gently caress I'M SICK OF DRIVING. I don't want to fight bandit car 87 unless I can turbo-boost my car's grille literally through their forehead. Sometimes I tap a car and it explodes, sometimes they fly off into space, sometimes I fly off into space, a lot of the time nothing happens and I toot my horn ineffectually while they shoot me in the face.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Beat: Dishonored
What a great game!
And especially after Assassin's Creed 3, it was a pleasure to play a game that had direction, and had a great story to tell and universe to show.
Even though it's not an open-world free-roamer, it felt as if I had plenty of freedom, as I could choose if I wanted to do a stealth run or a kill-'em-all run with lots of awesome powers and weapons.
The graphics, scenery and atmosphere is just great and the controls worked perfectly for KB+M even though you could see the console design in the mechanics. Sound and voice work was also top-notch even if some of the guard small talk got a little bit repetitive.
I haven't spent much time with the Dunwall City Trials DLC, but as far as I can see, it's all time trials/high scoring and not story related missions.

Beat: Hamlet or the Last Game without MMORPG Features, Shaders and Product Placement
A very short point-and-click adventure in the style of Machinarium, The Tiny Bang Story and Windosill.
Charming and fun, but again, quite short.

Beat: Amazing Adventures: The Lost Tomb
It's a Hidden Object game and it's one of the lovely ones, but I'm addicted to these games...

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Beat: Psychonauts. I haven't played many platformers, mostly because it's very difficult with a keyboard. I dug out my old Logitech RumblePad 2 and with x360ce I got it to work for this game. I had a really good time with it. I didn't 100% it, and I'm ok with that. I don't really want to hunt down one or two fragments per level that fly around and poo poo. Really good writing, the art style in it was great, just a very fun game. I wouldn't have guessed that it was 7 and a half years since it released.

Up next? Who knows. I'm playing co-op Borderland 2 with my brother (level 21), still loving around in Just Cause 2 (onto the 6th story mission), and when I'm sitting in my lazy boy with my laptop, casually going through Faerie Solitaire (not sure where I'm at in this, some frozen area).

So far this Steam sale, I've only purchased Borderlands 2 for myself. I'm really trying to resist the low prices, mostly because I know I haven't played most of my games anyway and why buy more to sit and collect virtual dust, trying to save some money, and I don't have nearly as much time to play as before.

americanzero4128 fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 28, 2012

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

DoctorOfLawls posted:

Scrolling up from the bottom, the following stand out as good, but short:

Unreal
Doom
All of the Telltale adventure games (Sam & Max, Tales of Monkey Island, etc)
Dark Forces (might want to wait until the darkXL engine remake hits beta, though)
Jedi Outcast
Jedi Academy
Penumbra Overture
Painkiller Black
Loom
Half-Life, Opposing Force, 2, 2 Episode 1, 2 Episode 2
Dead Space 1 & 2
Darwinia
Bulletstorm
Amnesia

Also, a special mention to Alpha Protocol, which is probably around 15 hours for a single playthrough but you'll want to play it 3-4 times. Play it anyways, it owns.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
The good news: Recent-ish new job allowed me to build a new PC for the first time since the Summer of 2008. Time to actually be able to play some of the newer games in my backlog at something other than super low settings.

The bad news: Just in time for another Steam sale! (Though it was also nice to finally be able to gift things here and there.) :feelsgood:

The stupid news: My "Uninstalled - not played" category in Steam currently sits at 114 games. Some are dumb little indie things that I'll likely never play more than an hour. Others are AAA titles that I surely intend to play the Hell out of. Someday.

Anyway. Since the new build.

Beat : Fear 3
Enjoyed it a lot. Was a big fan of the first Fear game, and even enjoyed the two expansions for it. Fear2 was a big ol' let down though. Not as good as the first, since it's really more of the same, but I would recommend it to anyone that likes a linear FPS. Bonus points for the warehouse/TV area, and NOT taking place inside a office/cubicle setting for 90% of the game.

Beat : Portal 2
Surely a vast majority of you have played both Portals by now. In my mind, the second one blew the first one away. Great fun. Small complaint - I was actually a bit distracted by Stephen Merchant doing the voice of Wheatley. The dialogue was good, but it was a bit too Office-y at times.

Beat : Bad Rats
Go gently caress yourself.

Beat : The Walking Dead
Big thanks again to Fart of Presto for the gift. Have just recently gotten into the show, and this was at the top of my list. Did not disappoint. Yeah yeah yeah - it's more an interactive story than a game, but it's a drat good story, and I really like that Borderlandish art style whatever it's called. Can't recommend it enough.

Beat : Death Rally
Another Steam sale gift, this time from Kragger99. Could have been better, really, but still had fun. Playing with an Xbox controller almost mandatory. Put about 6 hours into it leveling up various cars before I realized that I had missed how to advance the story. Immediately beat all of the story missions and called it a day. For some reason or another, they made the bad guy look like George Lucas.

Currently playing:
Mafia II - So far so good. Was in the mood for a GTA-ish sandbox game. Enjoying the 1940s look that it has, though it doesn't appear to have anything particularly original going on. Looks pretty as can be with the graphics cranked though. Don't think I'll bother with the DLC that was gutted out of the game unless it goes on stupid level sale.

Hotline Miami - A Steam gift from Xenilk. Enjoying it, but Jesus do I suck at this game. Really really bad. I vow to finish this thing, but it's going to take me a while. As most people have said - pretty drat good soundtrack that fits the game well.

Far Cry 3 - New video card came with a free copy. Christ is this a pretty game. Only an hour or so into it, and I have enjoyed it thoroughly. All the pretty jungle areas of the first one, but with modern graphics? Yes please. And from what I've read, a lot of the things that annoyed the crap out of me with the second one have been fixed or removed. Will likely be spending a lot of time with this one.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm playing Miami too and I honestly hated the first hour but once you get into the groove it's great. The first three levels are actually the hardest IMO. Past level 5 I was blazing through with only a couple deaths.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Turns out I'm pretty bad at guessing what does and does not work on my laptop. Trine 2 and Shank 2 have to be on hold for now.

Beat: Snapshot, though. I've avoided all backlog damage in the Steam sale (having picked up only bonus mode DLCs, stuff I want PC copies of, and gifts) but the latest Humble Bundle was too good for me to pass up. Snapshot was super cute and I only completed 40% or so of the challenges. I might revisit it later.

Speaking of revisiting, I revisited Frozen Synapse, which I had nulled after failing the same mission over and over and over for something like six months.

I cleared that mission, at last. :woop:

The mission after it was a total joke Of note: the battle in the lower left. My grenadier bounces a grenade into his own room. Enemy shotgun rolls up, shoots him in the face, then goes to stand watch with the grenade at his feet, which explodes. The mission gave me 75 seconds to clear out the room, and there was only one guy left after five.

:black101:

I'm not usually very good at it - and I've gotten about 2 hours of play so far out of it per dollar I spent without getting anywhere near beating the singleplayer - but Frozen Synapse really is amazing.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Beat: Call of Duty: Black Ops
I played and rage-quit the game last year, half way through. Can't really remember why, but decided yesterday that I would run through the SP in one go, which I did.
Once again, Activision cooks up a beautiful interactive movie with so many exotic locations, you'd think, if they spent half the resources on locations and moved it to gameplay/story, you'd actually get a pretty good game.
But as the old saying goes: location, location, location, and I guess the producer used to be a real estate agent.
I'll probably wait a couple of months before playing Blops2 as my Michael Bay quota has been filled for quite some time.

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'

DoctorOfLawls posted:

Limbo will only take you a couple of hours at the most and I actually enjoyed it.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Nulled Eschalon: Book 1: I dunno if I'm just bad at speccing my character, but even using Cheat Engine to give myself extra money and experience this game moves very slow for me.

Nulled Gateways: Very nice looking and well put together game, But executing some of the puzzle solutions is aggravating, esp. the time travel ones. Giving it up on the last puzzle.

Nulled Darksiders: Just isn't clicking with me at all.

Beat SWIFT STITCH: A great example of a simple, difficult game. The style fits it really well too.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

BKPR posted:

Nulled Eschalon: Book 1: I dunno if I'm just bad at speccing my character, but even using Cheat Engine to give myself extra money and experience this game moves very slow for me.

It's probably the lack of a run button. I think that's fixed in book 2.

It's kind of normal for a game of that style though.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I was also using Cheat Engine to run it at a higher speed. Still p. slow. Playing as a mage or ranger makes combat an obnoxious bob and weave game.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
About to null the only Painkiller I can't be assed into playing. Painkiller: Resurrection. It's not that it's bad or poor quality, or glitchy. It's ALL of them. I've seriously seen some better amateur Unreal1 maps. Also because of the "open"ness of the levels, there are times where I kill all of the monsters in an area and have to backtrack for several minutes just to find some random pocket that triggers more spawnings of the same monsters in the same area I already cleared!

This is nuts. And I pride myself on playing shooters, too. I'm pretty torn up about this.

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
I should get in on this. Ever since I've got enough money to buy my own poo poo on Steam I'm going a little overboard on sales. Time to cut back on spending just a little and try to tackle my somewhat 67% unplayed games (plus 90% unplayed games on GOG :ssh: ).

During the holidays I've made some headway:

Beat: Hitman: Absolution (Steam)
I kinda rushed through it mostly with silenced pistols and disguises, so I may come back and do it properly on a harder difficulty some time. I did like the gameplay. Stealth was fun and mostly made sense, shooting worked fine and solving a level without getting spotted was rewarding. Sometimes you can set up some really cool traps and then watch with childish glee as the guards walk right into it. It's a shame that the cool medium-sized locales all around the world from Bloodmoney have given way to small sub-levels for missions most of which take place in American hotels and apartments. A little more variety couldn't have hurt. But I had fun all things considered.

Completed: Closure (Steam)
It's a pretty neat puzzle platformer. I knew the game was going to be without dialogue or narration, but from the trailer I hoped for a little more exposition to the background story through level design and background imagery. LIMBO didn't have much of a story either, but you got the impression that stuff was happening. Closure just became a little dull. The gameplay is solid, ususally starts with a little trial and error in a new level, then you figure out the solution and try to pull it off. The final levels and some of the hidden moths were really challenging.

Beat: Home (Steam)
The Peenmaster LP inspired me to try this game myself and I thought it was pretty exciting and even thrilling at times (I'm easy prey for horror games). However, I found the last few minutes + ending to be weird and a little disappointing. I mean, the entire game something is actually happening, like you collect clues, make choices, find bodies, there's noises and a videotape and then the ending is basically you sitting in your home thinking about stuff because suddenly this is an art game. It was an interesting concept and I did actually play through it three times to see how I could change the story, but I don't think I'll be going back for a fourth run.

I'm now playing these games:

Killing Floor (Steam): I will play this for a while, maybe get far enough to win some matches on Hell on Earth until I consider it beaten.

Demon's Souls (PS3): This is my third attempt and by God it will be my last. Have at you, Demon's Souls!

Europa Universalis III (Steam): I've already beaten this game with Milan/Italy. Now I want to finish my Teutons AAR, which I started in November. Then maybe I'll play one last Grand Campaign with the Chinese before I move on.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I got $40 in Steam gift cards for Christmas, and ended up making good use of the sales to get some games that had been on my wishlist for a while.

Specifically, I got Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition, Dark Souls, and Don't Starve. I have a feeling it'll be a while before I can mark any of these as 'beaten'.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Colon V posted:

Specifically, I got Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition, Dark Souls, and Don't Starve. I have a feeling it'll be a while before I can mark any of these as 'beaten'.

Don't Starve you can't "beat", it's just a ton of fun. Witcher 2 is fantastic so go play that ASAP.

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

Welp.

Beat: Psychonauts
Charming.

Beat: Prototype
The writing and characters were really bad, but being a badass felt cool as hell.

Nulled: Wizorb
Breakout games aren't fun for me.

Beat: The Walking Dead
This game has some problems, but the story was quite good for a game.

Beat: Plants vs. Zombies
Fun simple tower defense game. I think this is better suited for a phone or tablet though.

Beat: Spec Ops: The Line
This game wasn't fun, but I guess that's the point?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Morter posted:

This is nuts. And I pride myself on playing shooters, too. I'm pretty torn up about this.

Don't be, every Painkiller game that isn't Painkiller Black is widely recognized to be terrible. Battle Out Of Hell is the only expansion that was developed by the original team, the rest are shovelware.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Knocking some old titles to make way for the new stuff:

Beat Blocks That Matter. I had stopped playing this game last year, when the stage called Child's Play made me quit in frustration. I absolutely adored this little game until that very point. It required an unfair amount of twitch platforming and timing skills, and little me who's terrible at these couldn't handle that -- in fact, from the completion rates, only 5% of players managed to beat it.

A week or so ago, goon Mmann mentioned he had beat this game twice and really loved it much as I did. I contacted him on a whim to see if he could take my save and beat that blasted stage. And he did! The rest was pretty much a cakewalk in comparison. I knocked out some bonus levels, too, as well as the whole Chocolate update. BTM, awesome little puzzle-platformer, but it can get unfair at times.

Completed Wallace and Gromit's Grand Adventures. A couple of bugs, especially on the last episode, but I think this is becoming par the norm for Telltale. Otherwise, a rather relaxing adventure game capturing very well the spirit of the series.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Hey thread, I guess it's about time I posted in you. The winter sale finally broke me.

Have my backloggery finally set up with Steam games (originally added some Wii and GCN games just to play around, but I'm using this mostly for Steam purchases) and I swear I'm going to beat more games than I purchase in 2013 so let's get started.

Almost finished with Torchlight II, but am getting close to nulling out Anomaly Warzone Earth. Neat concept, but it just isn't that fun. Magic: Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 is awesome though and I'm really enjoying the campaign.

I'm really happy about the way my Backloggey banner came out, so check it out if you so desire.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Closing out the year in style.

BEAT: Offspring Fling! Another cute puzzle platformer, like Snapshot, but trying to look more SNES-y. Destroyed my save twice, but I'm stubborn and won anyway. I guess that means it was pretty decent that this didn't put me off it permanently!

BEAT: Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams. Only 1.3% of players have managed to do this, and I'm not sure if that's because of the requirement to average 2.5 stars per level in each world, or because the final boss is ludicrously tough. I beat the game in 8 hours, and at least two of them were spent in the final bossfight. I enjoyed the game a lot, though.

My Backloggery's kind of a mess because I changed how I was tracking DLCs partway through the year. If I correct for all that, though, it looks like my backlog shrank by 5 this year.

That's not great, but I suppose it's a start.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

DannyTanner posted:

Beat: Spec Ops: The Line
This game wasn't fun, but I guess that's the point?

By the time the heavy soldiers start to appear I was pretty tired of the gameplay. I bought the game because the consensus was a very ordinary game that is worth experiencing because of the story and twists on the typical adolescent modern military shooter plot but the gameplay was exceptionally mediocre and I really didn't enjoy the last third of it.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I completed Waking Mars. It was a really fun Metroidvania with an interesting puzzle mechanic and likeable characters. It's short, so I totally recommend it to anyone who has it and wants to knock off a game really quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Pocket Billiards posted:

By the time the heavy soldiers start to appear I was pretty tired of the gameplay. I bought the game because the consensus was a very ordinary game that is worth experiencing because of the story and twists on the typical adolescent modern military shooter plot but the gameplay was exceptionally mediocre and I really didn't enjoy the last third of it.

I'm not completely sure, but I thought the heavy soldiers reflected just how absurd and insane the game was, especially later on when your teammates were taking the form of those same soldiers.

It's also a case that you're forced to fight dirty against them, doing things you would not normally do to another human being. I found myself spamming grenades, demo packs and even holding up a turret to take them down. If that's not insane and a bit overkill, then what is.

But yeah, the gameplay is fustrating, the sprint and cover system are a bit too fixed.