Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Once when a customer reached into their cart to pick up a watermelon I told them not to worry about it and punched in the number.

"It's not gonna set off the alarm since you didn't scan it, right?"

A watermelon.

At work we're supposed to put these bright orange "<Store Name> Paid" stickers on items we don't bag. Every so often I'll forget or skip putting them on something and a customer will insist I do it so that they don't set off an alarm when they leave.

First of all, we don't have one of those scanner security systems. We're a grocery store so we don't have anything with tags that'd set it off. Second: What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
I don't know what grocery store you work at, but our company do use the security tags. However we don't put them on produce. The security tags are kind of pointless now because our company terminated all the greeters, so no one guards the doors.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I get so many customers who hit the 'clear' button instead of the 'ok' button after they write their signature. Multiple times. And then they ask me "Do I press clear or OK?" What do you loving think you press, especially after clear just erased your signature the last five times? And then when I tell them to press the OK button they do it without re-writing their signature and of course it doesn't do anything because the screen is blank.

"You have to sign your name again first."
"But I already signed my name!"
"Yes, but clear erased it."
"Okay, but I'd better not get charged twice."

In what situation would signing your name twice cause us to charge your card twice, anyway?

Oddly enough, on our machines you have to hit the red clear button to get credit instead of debit. Which is dumb I know, but it's clearly explained on the screen: "Red button for credit, PIN+green button" for debit."

And I always get people frantically reminding me about taking off the security tags (which we do have) as though I have no idea they're on there. Just wait a minute people, I have a routine.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

NaturalLow posted:

Oddly enough, on our machines you have to hit the red clear button to get credit instead of debit. Which is dumb I know, but it's clearly explained on the screen: "Red button for credit, PIN+green button" for debit."

For us, the customer needs to tell the cashier it is credit. The pin pad just says enter pin, and gives no indication they should ask the cashier for credit. So 8 out of 10 customers hit cancel, thinking it will cancel debit and go to credit like 90% of the other places in town, but not us. Hitting cancel will cancel the whole thing, and you'll need to swipe your card again and tell the cashier you want credit. (although the pin-pad won't tell you that)

Cashiers try to ask debit or credit, but many customers just ignore them, thinking they know how to pay and leave with minimal interaction.

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010
Somebody took my name and said she was calling corporate on me. Merry Christmas to me. After three years in retail, I still think I'm one of the nicest employees there but I certainly find I'm faking a smile more often. Customers, please let me keep at least some of my soul by the time I quit.

BigGayLogan
Feb 19, 2011

Quit moeing around like that, uguu~?

NarwhalParty posted:

Somebody took my name and said she was calling corporate on me. Merry Christmas to me. After three years in retail, I still think I'm one of the nicest employees there but I certainly find I'm faking a smile more often. Customers, please let me keep at least some of my soul by the time I quit.

Did she want to file a complaint or give praise? If it's the former, I wouldn't worry about it unless you know you did something completely heinous. Most of the time, these complainers will exaggerate the situation and make it seem a lot worse. If you have witnesses to back you up, like your coworkers/management, then you're in the clear.

If the customer wanted to call corporate to give you praise, things may look up in the future. If you were beyond exceptional in your service, and corporate gets word of this, especially multiple times, you may see a raise or promotion coming your way. Of course, I'm just being optimistic here and I know it all depends on the company.

Of course 99% of the time, when a person says they're calling corporate, they're bluffing and are just trying to "scare you straight".

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010
It was for a complaint. Sorry, I should have specified. I don't like to get into detail because I'm afraid that it will bite me in the butt someday. Basically, this person said his/her copay on meds should be one thing and it was something else. What kills me is that a coworker that never shows up to work and is generally horrible at their job got a compliment recently.

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Founder and President of The E/N Log Cabin
I just got home from Family Dollar. I worked on Christmas. For normal pay. It was so busy. It was insane. We had people clawing at the doors before we even opened. We turned away ~15 people between 9 am and 10 am (when we actually opened). We were so busy. Our goal budget was just $730 and we closed out the registers at almost 3k.

I found out today that I wouldn't be receiving time-and-a-half because I haven't been with the company long enough. That's total bs. I worked on loving Christmas. Even Walmart and McDonalds were closed today. It shouldn't matter how long I've been with the company. I'm so angry!

At about 3pm, 2 ladies entered the store carrying a giant box. They pulled out 2 little gift boxes and gave them to us! There were all kinds of little homemade food treats in there! It was so kind. They made a whole bunch of them and drove around and gave one to every single person that had to work today. It's making me tear up a little! I was very touched. If I'm off, I'm doing it next year!

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

ThreeFish posted:

I just got home from Family Dollar. I worked on Christmas. For normal pay. It was so busy. It was insane. We had people clawing at the doors before we even opened. We turned away ~15 people between 9 am and 10 am (when we actually opened). We were so busy. Our goal budget was just $730 and we closed out the registers at almost 3k.

I found out today that I wouldn't be receiving time-and-a-half because I haven't been with the company long enough. That's total bs. I worked on loving Christmas. Even Walmart and McDonalds were closed today. It shouldn't matter how long I've been with the company. I'm so angry!

At about 3pm, 2 ladies entered the store carrying a giant box. They pulled out 2 little gift boxes and gave them to us! There were all kinds of little homemade food treats in there! It was so kind. They made a whole bunch of them and drove around and gave one to every single person that had to work today. It's making me tear up a little! I was very touched. If I'm off, I'm doing it next year!

I'm pretty sure it's illegal not to pay time and a half on federal holidays, regardless of length of employment. I would definitely take this to the higher ups/authorities.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

NarwhalParty posted:

It was for a complaint. Sorry, I should have specified. I don't like to get into detail because I'm afraid that it will bite me in the butt someday. Basically, this person said his/her copay on meds should be one thing and it was something else. What kills me is that a coworker that never shows up to work and is generally horrible at their job got a compliment recently.

:lol:

Just remember, you are not the patient's insurance benefits manager. If there is a copay issue, that is entirely between the patient and their insurance company. If the insurance company randomly decides to reduce the amount they cover for Ventolin for the month, there is literally nothing you can do.

You WILL NOT get in trouble. This kind of poo poo happens to me and the rest of the techs 6-9 times a day.

hawk989s
Feb 13, 2003

• 244 Points
  • 226 Minutes
  • 6 Overtimes
  • 2 Days
  • One for the ages

creatine posted:

I'm pretty sure it's illegal not to pay time and a half on federal holidays, regardless of length of employment. I would definitely take this to the higher ups/authorities.

This is cute. You must not be in the US?

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

hawk989s posted:

This is cute. You must not be in the US?

I am in the US, but I never heard that it was legal not to pay someone for working on federally recognized holidays.

hawk989s
Feb 13, 2003

• 244 Points
  • 226 Minutes
  • 6 Overtimes
  • 2 Days
  • One for the ages

creatine posted:

I am in the US, but I never heard that it was legal not to pay someone for working on federally recognized holidays.

The only time you're legally required to be paid time and a half is if you work more than 40 hours and are an hourly employee.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

It's possible it would vary by state, though. I doubt it, but I guess it's worth checking.

It seems to me that it's easier to assume that any job related issue, short of OSHA, minimum wage, or other things of that sort, are not federally protected in any way. They seem to like to leave it up to the states.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I've worked for companies that would pay 1.5 time on some holidays. I'm pretty sure it's completely at their discretion, not legally mandated by any state or federal law. They also only did it if you worked both the day before and the day after the holiday.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
My store does holiday pay for full-timers, and part-timers if they've worked 1000 hours in the previous X time-frame, which almost no part-timer at our store can achieve. (I forget the actual figures)

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Old hires at our company get 4 paid holidays in the year, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.

New hires only get two, Thanksgiving and Christmas I think.

Also found out an old contract person here makes $1/hr less than me. She probably only has a quarter of the responsibilities I have to deal with. If I were to step down from my management position to her position, I'd be forced to go back to down to a wage $5/hr less than her, AND I'd have to fight to keep full time status.

I know I said this in the distant past, but these old contract workers are some of the shittiest workers to deal with, and it's frustrating as all hell. At least the one I work with is decent.

Sure wish I was born during the privileged time where contracts were great. The thought of doing jack poo poo for way more than anybody hired in the last 15 years.

BigGayLogan
Feb 19, 2011

Quit moeing around like that, uguu~?
I've said this before, but at my work, all full-time workers are given holiday pay for New Years Day, 4th of July, Thanksgiving, and Christmas Day. It's regular pay and not time and a half, but we're also closed on those days anyway.

At my old job, I never had holiday pay. It was a 24-hour store and they only closed on Christmas Day. I'm sure the full-time workers had holiday pay, but I was part-time then and wouldn't know. All I know is that we were all paid an extra 50 cents per hour on Sundays, which was kind of nice if not for my lack of hours :unsmith:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Here in Australia, boxing day (Dec 26) functions as kind of an Australian version of black Friday, although the sales on pretty sure go till the end of December. My supermarket isn't in a major shopping centre though so we do maybe half the trade of a normal weekday... It's probably our second slowest day of the year after New year's day. It is however a public holiday so I was delighted to be offered a 9 hour shift.

It's illegal to force someone to work on a public holiday here, the company has to provide anyone who chooses not to work with a paid day off (and if the holiday falls on your weekend you still get an extra paid day off). Those of us who volunteer to work however get 2.5x normal pay, so I'm doing boxing day and new years day. I worked out I get 83c per minute, to spend most of the two days standing around doing gently caress all.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Meow Cadet posted:

For us, the customer needs to tell the cashier it is credit. The pin pad just says enter pin, and gives no indication they should ask the cashier for credit. So 8 out of 10 customers hit cancel, thinking it will cancel debit and go to credit like 90% of the other places in town, but not us. Hitting cancel will cancel the whole thing, and you'll need to swipe your card again and tell the cashier you want credit. (although the pin-pad won't tell you that)

Cashiers try to ask debit or credit, but many customers just ignore them, thinking they know how to pay and leave with minimal interaction.

It's funny because I always have the opposite problem. Customers are constantly trying to hand me their card to swipe it for them or tell me "it's credit" after they swipe when the whole process is entirely up to them and which buttons they push. I've gotten to where I still ask which they're doing because I need to know in order to coach them through it step by step. Even when I plainly tell them it's the red button for credit, they still push the wrong one fairly often.

My store tried to call me in today right in the middle of a loving blizzard. I know in retail it's generally assumed you have no life/aren't human and sometimes things do come up but this poo poo happens every goddamn week anymore. The manager has got to find other people to lean on because I'm sick of getting every single day off taken away from me (or having to leave my phone off all day to avoid him). Half the time I get there and I can't even figure out why I was called in because they're fully staffed and it's not even busy. :confused:

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
It's funny how min-wage/near min-wage retail requires you to be on call 24/7. If you are not, it is reason enough to terminate you.

Yea, so that vacation you had planned 6 months in advance that you took time off for? Well, you see, sales are predicted to be higher than usual this weekend and we're gonna need extra people so you're gonna have to reschedule that vacation. Sorry bro, but it's for 'the good of the store'.

I first realized corporate retail is nothing but a loving fiefdom when a few fellow employees were forced to abandon their weekend vacation plans for 'the good of the team'. Where was the store 'team leader' during this weekend? In Hawaii. For 2 weeks. She then came back, and bragged about how amazing the trip was to a bunch of people who barely make enough money to cover the cost in gas to drive to work.

It's absolutely phenomenal how out of touch management can be. In grad school, I work under people with PhDs who make 3 times as much money as some of these managers. They all have a clear concept about how crushing poverty is, and spend a lot of time counseling poorer patients on possible solutions/providing services for no charge.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
My store gets not holiday pay what so ever, we are off for thanksgiving and Christmas though! God I can not wait to be out of retail even if you are in one of the good stores, its just soul crushing to think that you will never make enough to truly support a family or ever even come close to retiring.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Avalanche posted:

It's funny how min-wage/near min-wage retail requires you to be on call 24/7. If you are not, it is reason enough to terminate you.

Yea, so that vacation you had planned 6 months in advance that you took time off for? Well, you see, sales are predicted to be higher than usual this weekend and we're gonna need extra people so you're gonna have to reschedule that vacation. Sorry bro, but it's for 'the good of the store'.

I first realized corporate retail is nothing but a loving fiefdom when a few fellow employees were forced to abandon their weekend vacation plans for 'the good of the team'. Where was the store 'team leader' during this weekend? In Hawaii. For 2 weeks. She then came back, and bragged about how amazing the trip was to a bunch of people who barely make enough money to cover the cost in gas to drive to work.

It's absolutely phenomenal how out of touch management can be. In grad school, I work under people with PhDs who make 3 times as much money as some of these managers. They all have a clear concept about how crushing poverty is, and spend a lot of time counseling poorer patients on possible solutions/providing services for no charge.

I am lucky in that it seems short of committing a crime, my store is too afraid to terminate anyone. We have at least two poo poo workers still employed (even it is something measly like 10 hours a week now). Those are usually the two I'm covering for. Company policy is something like if you work at least one day out of 30 you can stay employed.

So pretty much in my situation if I really need the day for personal or sanity reasons, I just leave my phone off altogether since I have a hard time saying no. Which really even that is loving ridiculous. Nobody's going to die if I don't cashier that day, do I really need to be "on call" 24/7?

And I don't really know if there's anything like holiday pay. We've been closed for all the major holidays. I did work Christmas Eve for regular pay, along with the nightmarish weekend before that. Christmas Eve being another day I was called in of course.

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

I get called in all the time, too. It's nice to be viewed as dependable by my higher-ups, but then again, it seems like it gets to a point where they don't do their jobs as well because they know I'll bail them out.

We've needed another person for some time now. My manager has been half-heartedly looking at apps, but, "I ain't hiring no black people." :gonk:

She's a treasure trove of racial bigotry. A man had asked if we had seen his wife in the store. Manager politely says no to the customer, then tells me, "How the gently caress would I know. They all look like monkeys." She also has told me she hates black women more than anything because they are loud and fat. She asked me if I agreed on that one and I said no and walked away.

Our worst cashier quit on xmas eve (no notice), so we really are in a bind now. And I've been scheduled at 40 hours for the past 3 weeks, so I can't fill in even if I wanted to. The new assistant manager is looking for another job because she can't take this place any more. I guess my manager is going to have to start considering a black person for hire. Poor her.

In other news, our thermostat is controlled off-site and we can only adjust it 2 degrees in either direction of what has been set. It's been on 50 degrees for the past 4 days. Add to that the new policy of cashiers not allowing to wear jackets and it's really cold! I've been wearing thermals under my red polo, but it's not enough. There are so many stupid things I hate about this place. So, so many.

hawk989s
Feb 13, 2003

• 244 Points
  • 226 Minutes
  • 6 Overtimes
  • 2 Days
  • One for the ages
You should probably call your company's HR department ASAP. They probably have an anonymous line where you can call - that is completely ridiculous and your manager should be fired in a heartbeat.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

ThreeFish posted:

I get called in all the time, too. It's nice to be viewed as dependable by my higher-ups, but then again, it seems like it gets to a point where they don't do their jobs as well because they know I'll bail them out.

We've needed another person for some time now. My manager has been half-heartedly looking at apps, but, "I ain't hiring no black people." :gonk:

She's a treasure trove of racial bigotry. A man had asked if we had seen his wife in the store. Manager politely says no to the customer, then tells me, "How the gently caress would I know. They all look like monkeys." She also has told me she hates black women more than anything because they are loud and fat. She asked me if I agreed on that one and I said no and walked away.

Our worst cashier quit on xmas eve (no notice), so we really are in a bind now. And I've been scheduled at 40 hours for the past 3 weeks, so I can't fill in even if I wanted to. The new assistant manager is looking for another job because she can't take this place any more. I guess my manager is going to have to start considering a black person for hire. Poor her.

In other news, our thermostat is controlled off-site and we can only adjust it 2 degrees in either direction of what has been set. It's been on 50 degrees for the past 4 days. Add to that the new policy of cashiers not allowing to wear jackets and it's really cold! I've been wearing thermals under my red polo, but it's not enough. There are so many stupid things I hate about this place. So, so many.

I don't profess to know US health and safety regulations, but isn't it illegal to make people work in those sort of temperatures without jackets? I know I called the local HSE office when our heating was hosed and head office dicked around getting it fixed. I also told my boss I was wearing coat and gloves and he could suck it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Fil5000 posted:

I don't profess to know US health and safety regulations, but isn't it illegal to make people work in those sort of temperatures without jackets? I know I called the local HSE office when our heating was hosed and head office dicked around getting it fixed. I also told my boss I was wearing coat and gloves and he could suck it.

OSHA regulations only cover cases where there is a risk of death or injury, so mere comfort issues are not a violation. There IS a recommended range, and the low end is at 68 degrees.

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=INTERPRETATIONS&p_id=24602

If nothing else, they're spending a lot of money on electricity to keep you working in a refrigerator. Eventually corporate will yell about the bill.

CUMGUARD
Nov 22, 2004

Aw, hell no! What's up, dog?

ThreeFish posted:

Ok well something's hosed up at your store then, because while your corporate office is seriously shady as poo poo, they are NOT ok with temperatures like that. The set point in winter is 68, and if 50% or more of your HVAC units are either down or else reading 65 or lower, that's considered an emergency. Unfortunately, nothing can be done about it if you guys don't call it in. You wouldn't believe how many stores will wait like 3 weeks to report that none of their toilets work or something like that. Seriously, call that in to the maintenance line tomorrow. Guaranteed you'll get same-day service, or else next day at the very worst. It's always in your best interest to call in maintenance requests sooner rather than later, because once it starts moving, there can be delays, like if the landlord has to get involved (not applicable for your store) or if the contractor has to submit a quote which then must be reviewed by corp, but the longer you take to call it in, the longer it takes to get to that point. Seriously, call that poo poo in pronto. I'll PM you the direct number to the maintenance line if you need it, or you can go through your SPOC.

edit: I just checked your store and there is not currently an open HVAC work order. There is a completed work order from a bit ago that indicated something might be hosed up with your surveyor box (it apparently wasn't installed correctly?) which is what controls your HVAC and lighting. That work order has been closed, though, so nothing will happen until you call it in.

CUMGUARD fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 28, 2012

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

ThreeFish posted:

This is the feeling I get really. I feel like I've become the "dependable one" to the point where if anything happens or even seems like it might happen, I get called in. It's really because (1) I actually do work-related stuff at work most of the time instead of hanging out in the office/dicking around on my phone and (2) I feel guilty saying no so I almost always say yes. The last one is changing for the sake of my sanity though.

Today was a lovely day full of a non-stop stream of returns/exchanges, which at my store are always the transactions that are ripe for complications and customer hissy fits. And even with the weather the assholes were out and about. My apologies to one customer in particular for trying to make things a little easier by telling her where the mirrors were on the apparel sales floor when she asked for one, which resulted in me getting bitched at and put on this lady's poo poo list for the rest of her time in the store. :wtc:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
After being off since last Saturday, I go back to the shithole in a few hours. Hopefully next week is just as sparsely scheduled. It's getting harder and harder to actually go in to work, but I don't want to quit until I have something else lined up.

Also, your store is cold, mine is so hot that customers routinely complain and employees routinely sweat, even during winter. Out of 5 HVAC units on the roof, 2 work.

CUMGUARD
Nov 22, 2004

D34THROW posted:

After being off since last Saturday, I go back to the shithole in a few hours. Hopefully next week is just as sparsely scheduled. It's getting harder and harder to actually go in to work, but I don't want to quit until I have something else lined up.

Also, your store is cold, mine is so hot that customers routinely complain and employees routinely sweat, even during winter. Out of 5 HVAC units on the roof, 2 work.

Have you called in the HVAC units? As previously mentioned, my company does handle your company, but each client has its own SOPs so I really have no info as to how DT corp would see this situation and I don't have a login to your website so I can't look at your open work orders. I know that FD corp would see you having only 40% HVAC working as a severe emergency and would expedite everything about it, including quote approval for replacement of units, etc. If it hasn't been called in because your manager is afraid of money coming out of their bonus or something (which is oftentimes the case), go over their head, talk to the DM. If it hasn't been called in because your SM is lazy....call that poo poo in. Also, how do you know that 3 of your units are down? Are the thermostats blank, or did you have a contractor check them out and that's what they advised? If it's blank tstats, it could (possibly) just be an EMS issue, which is more than likely a relatively easy and cheap fix. If you've been advised by an HVAC tech that 3 of your RTUs are literally inoperable, then most likely a quote has been submitted and DT either just doesn't want to pay for it, or else they are taking their sweet time.

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

how about we go back to my place and i conquer your world, if you know what i mean
As of two days ago, that is a full month of manual trading. No Internet at all for a month. In a phone store. New manager is doing gently caress all while loving with the rotas and leaving all three of the staff pissed off. How is it so goddamn hard to gently caress up managing a store with 4 employees, including himself? Jesus poo poo.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

CUMGUARD posted:

Have you called in the HVAC units? As previously mentioned, my company does handle your company, but each client has its own SOPs so I really have no info as to how DT corp would see this situation and I don't have a login to your website so I can't look at your open work orders. I know that FD corp would see you having only 40% HVAC working as a severe emergency and would expedite everything about it, including quote approval for replacement of units, etc. If it hasn't been called in because your manager is afraid of money coming out of their bonus or something (which is oftentimes the case), go over their head, talk to the DM. If it hasn't been called in because your SM is lazy....call that poo poo in. Also, how do you know that 3 of your units are down? Are the thermostats blank, or did you have a contractor check them out and that's what they advised? If it's blank tstats, it could (possibly) just be an EMS issue, which is more than likely a relatively easy and cheap fix. If you've been advised by an HVAC tech that 3 of your RTUs are literally inoperable, then most likely a quote has been submitted and DT either just doesn't want to pay for it, or else they are taking their sweet time.

We had several contractors tell us that 2 out of 5 units were functional. So far, at least 3 people I know of have reported it via the proper channels.

- Current interim store manager/trainer
- Current senior assistant manager several times
- Former store manager

And we have mentioned it directly to both the former and current district managers during several of their visits.

It's always, always about footing the bill. :smith:

Once again, the hour-shafting begins. I open this coming Sunday and next Saturday. A whole whopping 10 hours. Maybe 14 or 15 if they need me for the truck next week. Why are my other applications going nowhere? Why do you hate me when I serve you well, Retail Gods?

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Stop serving the Retail Gods well. Retail was driving me loving insane until I realized that THE BAR IS IMPOSSIBLY LOW. All the drunks and pillheads and entitled retards that populate retail aren't losing their jobs anytime soon, and you know it. Stop giving a poo poo. Stop rushing, stop stressing, and stop enabling your managers when they try to call you in on a day you aren't scheduled.

Stop acting like you're going to get a Biggest Cumchugger trophy and a raise from corporate any day now. You're making minimum wage, your job isn't secure, and you are getting no benefits. Act like it.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

D34THROW posted:

It's always, always about footing the bill. :smith:

Yeah, I currently have to work with basically no bathrooms because of this. They're barely functional on the best of days and out of order more often than not. The only thing the manager can offer is that the whole plumbing system is bad and it's just too expensive to fix. There have been times I've only peed in that bathroom and it would clog the toilet. :confused: Yesterday it was completely out of order again so I just gave up, drank as little fluid as I could stand and went to the store next door (with a working bathroom!) on my lunch break. It also means no coffee/caffeine to help me through some of my bad shifts.

On a related note, what the hell is it with people taking massive shits in store bathrooms? This is usually part of our problem most of the time. I mean, I know sometimes you just gotta go but I swear it's like some of these people specifically look for and wait until they find a loving store bathroom to destroy.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 28, 2012

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Great Horny Toads! posted:

Stop acting like you're going to get a Biggest Cumchugger trophy and a raise from corporate any day now. You're making minimum wage, your job isn't secure, and you are getting no benefits. Act like it.

The sad part is that I've been doing so for some time. I do what I consider and can tolerate as the bare minimum to keep my job. I even no-call/no-showed last Saturday. And yet when I walked in today, frown on my face, I still get treated like I'm doing something right.

I would say that I'm not making minimum wage anymore, that I actually got a $0.13 raise, but that's a moot point. I make $7.80 now. Minimum wage goes up to $7.79 on the first.

Time to go drinkin'.

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

I'm slowly learning that attitude change, too. I've always been a people-pleaser. Of course I would always agree to come in (even with ~30mins notice) and do whatever extra was asked of me. But I decided to not take management and realized that my doing extra and being always on call wasn't doing me any favors. All I was doing was stressing myself out over a 7.50/hr job. I can be just like everyone else and not care so much.

My manager went sort of nuts a couple months ago and didn't show up to open the store at 8am. This was not found out until I arrived for my shift at 12:30 pm. She has a different story for every person she tells it to. She tells some people she had an allergic reaction to NyQuil and was in the hospital. She tells some people she just overslept. She tells others her ex-husband tried to kill her by shoving food down her throat while she was sleeping and she was in the hospital. She tells some people that she got in a fight. All I know is that when they finally got a hold of her at 2:30 pm, they went to the hospital she said she was at to pick up the keys to open the store. The lady who went there to get the keys said the manager and her boyfriend weren't even at the hospital yet when she got there. She had to wait for them to even get there.

It was all a giant mess. Anyway- she was scheduled to work tonight, but she called in crying about an hour ago with all this crap and said she wouldn't be coming in. I worked 8:30am-2:30 today. They wanted me to stay and I said nope. I'm so proud of myself.

I think I want a dishwashing job. At least I'd be warm!

Cumguard:

Nothing on this building was working when we moved in. And while that work order may be closed, they didn't fix it. I was there when the contractor came last week. He basically said he can't fix anything without a ton of major work and possibly closing the store for a day or 2. This store was supposed to open in July and didn't open until October 4th. And the electric is still messed up. I have no idea if the heating issue is related to that or not. I complained again this morning about working in a freezer and told them I wasn't taking off my jacket. I asked the MOD what the temp was set at to double check and she said about 52. I asked if we could get that fixed and she said the only issue was Phoenix, where they control our temp from. I dunno. I don't think I'm allowed to call in a maintenance complaint myself. I can't get warm anymore. I think I'm going to wear gloves as well tomorrow!

My store is imploding. We are short a cashier, and all 4 of us are worked to death. The manager won't answer her phone if one of us is trying to call off, but she takes time off whenever she wants. We feel bad for her because her life is hosed up right now and she is required to work at least 52 hours a week, but all 3 of us are looking/going to start looking for another job.

My husband thinks it's hilarious that I have to put up with this poo poo for 7.50 an hour. His job treats people like humans and he gets 19.31/hr for doing almost nothing. Seriously. He thinks it's hilarious. :(

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

NaturalLow posted:

Yeah, I currently have to work with basically no bathrooms because of this. They're barely functional on the best of days and out of order more often than not. The only thing the manager can offer is that the whole plumbing system is bad and it's just too expensive to fix. There have been times I've only peed in that bathroom and it would clog the toilet. :confused: Yesterday it was completely out of order again so I just gave up, drank as little fluid as I could stand and went to the store next door (with a working bathroom!) on my lunch break. It also means no coffee/caffeine to help me through some of my bad shifts.

On a related note, what the hell is it with people taking massive shits in store bathrooms? This is usually part of our problem most of the time. I mean, I know sometimes you just gotta go but I swear it's like some of these people specifically look for and wait until they find a loving store bathroom to destroy.

Making someone work in a building without a functional toilet has to be against some sort of law, right? I mean, using the bathroom is a basic human function, you can't deprive someone of it for 8 hours.

CUMGUARD
Nov 22, 2004

ThreeFish posted:

Cumguard:

Nothing on this building was working when we moved in. And while that work order may be closed, they didn't fix it. I was there when the contractor came last week. He basically said he can't fix anything without a ton of major work and possibly closing the store for a day or 2. This store was supposed to open in July and didn't open until October 4th. And the electric is still messed up. I have no idea if the heating issue is related to that or not. I complained again this morning about working in a freezer and told them I wasn't taking off my jacket. I asked the MOD what the temp was set at to double check and she said about 52. I asked if we could get that fixed and she said the only issue was Phoenix, where they control our temp from. I dunno. I don't think I'm allowed to call in a maintenance complaint myself. I can't get warm anymore. I think I'm going to wear gloves as well tomorrow!

Well your MOD is definitely misinformed about some things. First of all, Phoenix has nothing to do with your temperatures. My company does have a Phoenix location, but Family Dollar isn't handled there. There were 2 CSRs at that location who did work on Family Dollar sometimes, but one of them just got fired. And my company actually does do EMS control and monitoring for many of our clients, but Family Dollar, while they do use EMS, uses a different company to monitor and control it, and they are actually based in California. Regardless, it sounds like your surveyor is just totally jacked. That will definitely affect your HVAC and lighting and sometimes electrical systems. Your store, being new, is under warranty, and corporate is probably trying to handle all of this through the construction department as warranty repairs, rather than have to pay a contractor to fix it.

I just looked at your store's info more closely and it looks like my company got into a slapfight with the vendor, and then we straight up dropped the ball. Corporate advised us that they would be contacting the GC who built the store to resolve and that if they did not respond, they would approve the quote, but the quote never got submitted because of the aforementioned slap fight. Seriously, corporate may be working with the GC, but it looks like the ball just got dropped. If your manager won't call it in, I'd seriously advise you to go over their head to the DM. This needs to be called in again. If you can tell me what all of your thermostats read, or at least a good approximation, I'll just create a work order for you on Monday if need be, and send it to corporate's queue to get the ball rolling again. Hell the approximations don't even need to be that great, since the surveyor is borked, corp can't dial in remotely and verify, so really I guess we could say they're anything.

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Making someone work in a building without a functional toilet has to be against some sort of law, right? I mean, using the bathroom is a basic human function, you can't deprive someone of it for 8 hours.

I'm 90% sure that if you sell food, it is law that you must have a public restroom, so this is most likely illegal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mookerson
Feb 27, 2011

please work out

D34THROW posted:

Once again, the hour-shafting begins. I open this coming Sunday and next Saturday. A whole whopping 10 hours. Maybe 14 or 15 if they need me for the truck next week. Why are my other applications going nowhere? Why do you hate me when I serve you well, Retail Gods?

quote:

I do what I consider and can tolerate as the bare minimum to keep my job. I even no-call/no-showed last Saturday.
Hrmph. Your job may suck real bad, but no-call/no-shows are pretty unforgivable if you weren't in the hospital. You left everyone hanging and other people had to cover for you. Pretty hosed up. I'd cut the poo poo out of your hours too.