Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

greatn posted:

The bundled version of Nintendo land that comes with the Pro system doesn't have a code. On Club Nintendo a survey for the game worth 50 points will show up after a few days.

Ah, thanks. That makes sense. It took a day for the WiiU survey to pop up, so no biggie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miffroon
May 7, 2006
Owe's mansex to Hotwire
So just got my WiiU delivered today, I got the premium with ZombieU thrown in as well, while I'm letting the pad charge up I'm just taking a look through the list of games at the moment for another one to add to the collection. I'm thinking of picking up NSMBWU, but I'll be honest I'm not too sure about the games that are out currently because my local GAME has pretty poor stock because of christmas.

I'm pretty strapped for cash at the moment so will I get decent play life out of NSMBWU, ZombieU and NintendoLand?

Miffroon fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 28, 2012

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Miffroon posted:

I'm pretty strapped for cash at the moment so will I get decent play life out of NSMBWU, ZombieU and NintendoLand?

You should be set for a while, especially if you have friends/family to play Nintendoland/NSMBU with.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

SurrealityCheck posted:

Given the RAM difference between the wiiU and the putative amounts I've seen thrown around for the other 2 next gen consoles, I am relatively sure it will be a wii vs 360/ps3 thing again.

Except that the difference between this gen and the next one is going to be smaller than any console leap before it, even with a twice-as-long generation cycle.

The major difference: The WiiU is coming out 1 year before the more powerful consoles. The Wii came out 1 year AFTER the 360. That 2-years-earlier bit is going to greatly limit how far back the WiiU is being held, there should be more than enough straight ports to go around until at least 2014.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Got one for Christmas and god drat am I having fun with it, already bought NSMBU and ZombiU which hasn't arrived yet and I'm enjoying Mario a tonne.

Nintendoland is also pretty fun, Crash Course is just fantastic, still can't beat the 2nd level but I'll get there eventually, that rotating bit in the middle throws me off horribly, I think I know what to do now, but still, drat.

Shame I can't check out the Miiverse because the Wii-U seems to actively hate Wi-Fi, which is annoying since it doesn't have an ethernet port, so I'm getting a Wii LAN Adapter to fix that issue, I want to check out the online stuff and see what's going on there.

But anyway, yeah, it's great, the gamepad screen is phenomenal and the images 'pop' a lot better than on my TV making me want to play it on the pad more than the TV.

Only thing on Nintendoland so far I'm not a huge fan of is that Falcon Twister Race thing, I have to recalibrate the pad so drat much, and to do it you have to put it down on a flat surface, and the moment it's calibrated the game starts again so you just end up screwing up a load for no reason.

But again, goddamn, loving this thing. Also the fact I can use it as a TV remote is genius, such a small thing but it works so drat well and is incredibly convenient.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Miffroon posted:

So just got my WiiU delivered today, I got the premium with ZombieU thrown in as well, while I'm letting the pad charge up I'm just taking a look through the list of games at the moment for another one to add to the collection. I'm thinking of picking up NSMBWU, but I'll be honest I'm not too sure about the games that are out currently because my local GAME has pretty poor stock because of christmas.

The best bang for your buck content and hour wise will be Warriors Orochi 3 if your into that.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Balobam posted:

Shame I can't check out the Miiverse because the Wii-U seems to actively hate Wi-Fi, which is annoying since it doesn't have an ethernet port, so I'm getting a Wii LAN Adapter to fix that issue, I want to check out the online stuff and see what's going on there.
A lot of people have been saying that this can be improved by changing the channel your WiFi uses to even the highest or lowest. How to do this, of course, varies from router to router.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

theflyingorc posted:

A lot of people have been saying that this can be improved by changing the channel your WiFi uses to even the highest or lowest. How to do this, of course, varies from router to router.

Huh, interesting, I'll give that a look then, worth a shot!

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Yeah use 1 or 11.

Miffroon
May 7, 2006
Owe's mansex to Hotwire

socialsecurity posted:

The best bang for your buck content and hour wise will be Warriors Orochi 3 if your into that.

Koei Dynasty Warriors-esque game I'm assuming? Those are always fun little timewasters

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Miffroon posted:

Koei Dynasty Warriors-esque game I'm assuming? Those are always fun little timewasters

It's Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors fused literally. 120ish characters and a shitton of stages with an editor plenty of stuff to burn time on.

Miffroon
May 7, 2006
Owe's mansex to Hotwire

socialsecurity posted:

It's Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors fused literally. 120ish characters and a shitton of stages with an editor plenty of stuff to burn time on.

Yeah that sounds like something that'll suck away the time sure enough, just checked a review of it, the idea of no split screen thanks to the gamepad sounds enticing too.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

theflyingorc posted:

Except that the difference between this gen and the next one is going to be smaller than any console leap before it, even with a twice-as-long generation cycle.

The major difference: The WiiU is coming out 1 year before the more powerful consoles. The Wii came out 1 year AFTER the 360. That 2-years-earlier bit is going to greatly limit how far back the WiiU is being held, there should be more than enough straight ports to go around until at least 2014.

Let's try not to speak of how the next-gen consoles aside from the WiiU will turn out because we just don't know how much of a difference in technology/visuals they'll truly be. Saying that the difference between the generation of consoles this time around will be minute is too much of an unknown to comment on, period. It can go either way, really, but as an aside I do think you're right.

The major advantage the WiiU has at this point is the 1 year head start, which means two things: An established install base and the next round of games for the holiday season being prepped in advance with developers having a good understanding of how the console works. What really propelled the Wii to becoming a household name was the word of mouth and how it came out before Thanksgiving and Christmas, which led to family gatherings concluding they need one. I don't think that worked out as well for the WiiU, honestly. I'm curious to see how well it does up to March.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Louisgod posted:

Let's try not to speak of how the next-gen consoles aside from the WiiU will turn out because we just don't know how much of a difference in technology/visuals they'll truly be. Saying that the difference between the generation of consoles this time around will be minute is too much of an unknown to comment on, period. It can go either way, really, but as an aside I do think you're right.
I'm pretty confident. Hardware just hasn't improved that much since Moore's Law started breaking down last decade, and that Unreal Engine 4 demo Epic showed was clearly really good looking for being just a tech demo, but previously engine leaps were usually "holy crap, this tech demo looks better than the best games on the market!"

quote:

The major advantage the WiiU has at this point is the 1 year head start, which means two things: An established install base and the next round of games for the holiday season being prepped in advance with developers having a good understanding of how the console works. What really propelled the Wii to becoming a household name was the word of mouth and how it came out before Thanksgiving and Christmas, which led to family gatherings concluding they need one. I don't think that worked out as well for the WiiU, honestly. I'm curious to see how well it does up to March.
Everybody seems to be projecting "good numbers, but not Wii numbers". Which is probably what you'd expect, I doubt we'll see another Wii rush until somebody comes out with something stupid awesome like 3D hologram technology or something.

I believe its still selling better than either the 360 or the PS3 did in their similar launch window. There's a lot of neat potential in the device, but there's so many little things that feel like they're this close to being awesome - my personal example being how the remote refuses to acknowledge that audio receivers exist - and this is Nintendo. The Wii had a lot of unrealized potential, too.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

theflyingorc posted:

The Wii had a lot of unrealized potential, too.

Definitely. It always amazed me that big developers didn't go, "Hey, it costs $40M to make a game on PS3/360 but only $5M to make something clever on the Wii. Why don't we make something clever on the console with the biggest console install base and the smallest production costs (out of the three)?" Instead they stuck to the high budgets and took huge risks. And that's why companies like THQ are going from a billion in revenue in 2007 to bankruptcy after defaulting on a $50M loan in 2012.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Definitely. It always amazed me that big developers didn't go, "Hey, it costs $40M to make a game on PS3/360 but only $5M to make something clever on the Wii. Why don't we make something clever on the console with the biggest console install base and the smallest production costs (out of the three)?" Instead they stuck to the high budgets and took huge risks. And that's why companies like THQ are going from a billion in revenue in 2007 to bankruptcy after defaulting on a $50M loan in 2012.

Errr...I wouldn't entirely blame developers. Due to there not being much attention being paid the Wii, if you released a great game on it and weren't named Nintendo there was a very real chance that you wouldn't have made money. The games trickle was low enough that everyone who reads reviews just quit caring about the Wii. There was this weird energy where people who owned Wiis wrote it off so thoroughly that they wouldn't even buy the good titles that came out for it (Madworld, No More Heroes). A lot of those games sold acceptably, but not at a level that would inspire developer confidence.

Also, the cheaper assets didn't make it all that much cheaper to make a title.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

theflyingorc posted:

Errr...I wouldn't entirely blame developers. Due to there not being much attention being paid the Wii, if you released a great game on it and weren't named Nintendo there was a very real chance that you wouldn't have made money. The games trickle was low enough that everyone who reads reviews just quit caring about the Wii. There was this weird energy where people who owned Wiis wrote it off so thoroughly that they wouldn't even buy the good titles that came out for it (Madworld, No More Heroes). A lot of those games sold acceptably, but not at a level that would inspire developer confidence.

Also, the cheaper assets didn't make it all that much cheaper to make a title.

It's very true that there has always been a stigma on Nintendo consoles that you can never top Nintendo, but you just named two very niché titles that honestly were not going to become major hits.

Wii had a casual market and few companies took the time to understand what that even meant. One of the few are Ubisoft, who made a fortune on the Wii with the Just Dance series (JD2: 5 million, JD: 4.3 million) and it wasn't hard to sell a million units on the Wii. Stuff like Active Life: Outdoor Challenge and We Skii by Namco was able to do it and I doubt those games cost very much to make.

When people bitch about stuff like Game Party and Carnival Games selling two million copies, I just ask, why is it Midway and Global Star being smarter than THQ, Capcom, Konami and Activision on how to make a quick buck on the Wii? To me, there was money to be taken and everyone was so focused on selling to a fickle market that making Homefront was considered a better idea than making a quick, semi-polished party game.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

When people bitch about stuff like Game Party and Carnival Games selling two million copies, I just ask, why is it Midway and Global Star being smarter than THQ, Capcom, Konami and Activision on how to make a quick buck on the Wii? To me, there was money to be taken and everyone was so focused on selling to a fickle market that making Homefront was considered a better idea than making a quick, semi-polished party game.
Oh, I won't argue with you there. From a developer standpoint, I think that there was money to be made on the Wii with small teams if you were smart. Hell, I've maintained for years that you could have made a killing in the first few years of the lifecycle if you'd just made one of those "Basically Banjo Kazooie or Crash Bandicoot" mascot-heavy family adventure titles.

The previous gen had tons of them - Ty the Tasmanian Tyger, Tak and the Power of Juju, a billion other ones I'm forgetting. I think there was a market hole that was missed.

However, I don't think its the development houses' collective fault that the kind of games I wanted to see didn't come out on the Wii. It would have probably been an actually bad idea to try to create a cheaper Call of Duty or Resident Evil or Gears of War on the Wii. In fact, that's what The Conduit was - and while they survived, they didn't exactly thrive.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

theflyingorc posted:

I'm pretty confident. Hardware just hasn't improved that much since Moore's Law started breaking down last decade, and that Unreal Engine 4 demo Epic showed was clearly really good looking for being just a tech demo, but previously engine leaps were usually "holy crap, this tech demo looks better than the best games on the market!"

I'm not arguing that the leap between this and the next generation won't be minor, only that it's really dumb to be talking in absolutes. Confidence aside, tech demos aside, we just don't know.

quote:

Everybody seems to be projecting "good numbers, but not Wii numbers". Which is probably what you'd expect, I doubt we'll see another Wii rush until somebody comes out with something stupid awesome like 3D hologram technology or something.

I believe its still selling better than either the 360 or the PS3 did in their similar launch window. There's a lot of neat potential in the device, but there's so many little things that feel like they're this close to being awesome - my personal example being how the remote refuses to acknowledge that audio receivers exist - and this is Nintendo. The Wii had a lot of unrealized potential, too.

As far as I'm aware, the initial console sales have been fine and on par with past console launch numbers, but the attach rate for software has been really, really bad (something like 1.2). A big part of that I think comes with year old ports (Batman, ME3), a small install base, and an overlap in the current 360/PS3 install base (Assassins Creed 3, COD) along with Nintendoland being packed into the Deluxe SKU. I honestly think sales with peter out come January/February, much like with what happened to the 3DS.

I think you're right that Nintendo is REALLY close to having many little things be truly awesome (Miiverse, TVii, Internet Browser, Friends List) so hopefully that unrealized potential isn't lost. They really need to make motion plus mandatory in all games.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Well the Wiis abysmal software sales probably kept most devs away

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Louisgod posted:

I'm not arguing that the leap between this and the next generation won't be minor, only that it's really dumb to be talking in absolutes. Confidence aside, tech demos aside, we just don't know.
How do you know I'm not a bigshot developer with my own Durango and Orbis dev kits, huh? :colbert:

I'm not.

Fine, though. I'll continue being super confident but I won't call you wrong to your face.

quote:

As far as I'm aware, the initial console sales have been fine and on par with past console launch numbers, but the attach rate for software has been really, really bad (something like 1.2). A big part of that I think comes with year old ports (Batman, ME3), a small install base, and an overlap in the current 360/PS3 install base (Assassins Creed 3, COD) along with Nintendoland being packed into the Deluxe SKU. I honestly think sales with peter out come January/February, much like with what happened to the 3DS.
I think you're right on the money here - (and Pachter seemed to agree with you) - the pattern established by the 3DS is probably pretty close to what we'll see with the WiiU. Potentially with a large (but unlikely to be 3DS large) price drop within a fairly short time frame.

quote:

I think you're right that Nintendo is REALLY close to having many little things be truly awesome (Miiverse, TVii, Internet Browser, Friends List) so hopefully that unrealized potential isn't lost. They really need to make motion plus mandatory in all games.
I keep thinking "If I could just do X, this would be perfect!" Audio Receiver on gamepad, Store layout, better friend requesting, turning off the gamepad while watching stuff, Virtual console working outside of Wii mode. (Your WiiU emulates the Wii which Emulates the SNES)

Luckily, unlike when I got my Wii and realized "Oh, the problem is that this hardware is terrible," all of those issues can be solved by software improvements.

Bland posted:

I don't know what they've been since 2009 or so, but the early Wii sales had solid attach rates, much much stronger than the PS3. The problem was that the 360 had the best console attach rate of all time for forever, I know it was above 7 at points and it may have cracked 8.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 28, 2012

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Louisgod posted:

They really need to make motion plus mandatory in all games.

It really blows my mind that they didnt do this. I know not everything would benefit from it, but allowing a worse and lazier option for developers, as well as not ensuring 100% motion plus rate, will hold things back once again.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

I don't know what they've been since 2009 or so, but the early Wii sales had solid attach rates, much much stronger than the PS3. The problem was that the 360 had the best console attach rate of all time for forever, I know it was above 7 at points and it may have cracked 8.
I think it had less to do with attach rate and more to do with what was attaching to the console. If the developers were seeing that nintendo was suffocating the market for higher quality games and that most of the other sales were going to cheap cash in ports or licensed trash then there was no incentive to actually make high quality, exclusive titles for the system.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Gutcruncher posted:

It really blows my mind that they didnt do this. I know not everything would benefit from it, but allowing a worse and lazier option for developers, as well as not ensuring 100% motion plus rate, will hold things back once again.

Is it lazier to not use Motion+ if you're developing?

I think the whole point was that they didn't want people who never got Motion+ controllers (a lot of people) to be screwed when they got the WiiU. Some NintendoLand games require it, some don't, I think that will get people to understand that they should really get some Motion+ controllers.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I think it had less to do with attach rate and more to do with what was attaching to the console. If the developers were seeing that nintendo was suffocating the market for higher quality games and that most of the other sales were going to cheap cash in ports or licensed trash then there was no incentive to actually make high quality, exclusive titles for the system.
Yeah, that's basically what I was saying to the other guy earlier. I agree that there was a bit of a "Nintendo is sucking up the Good Game oxygen" situation going on. Games didn't sell poorly on the Wii, big budget games not made by Nintendo sold poorly on the Wii.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

I think the whole point was that they didn't want people who never got Motion+ controllers (a lot of people) to be screwed when they got the WiiU. Some NintendoLand games require it, some don't, I think that will get people to understand that they should really get some Motion+ controllers.

Yeah, I think it would have been a blunder to require Motion+ (and thereby the purchase of a full set of new remotes) for a game like NSMBU, a major launch title that absolutely doesn't need it. The softer nudging from Nintendoland, combined with the phasing out of the old models, is better.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Gutcruncher posted:

My guess is that they don't want to alienate people that don't have M+. I'm a bit surprised they didn't include one with the WiiU as it would've easily solved that issue. efb

I think what Nintendo needs to streamline from here is fine tuning the WiiU OS: Improve load times, increase friend list to something like 1000, make it easier to communicate with each other, include VC support in the eStore, release more demos, etc. Side question, but is it possible to change the icons on the huge splash screen where it shows all the "major game" icons that the Miis congregate around?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Louisgod posted:

Side question, but is it possible to change the icons on the huge splash screen where it shows all the "major game" icons that the Miis congregate around?

They change based on Miiverse activity, generally speaking. They'll become more relevant over time, I find.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Louisgod posted:

I think what Nintendo needs to streamline from here is fine tuning the WiiU OS: Improve load times, increase friend list to something like 1000, make it easier to communicate with each other, include VC support in the eStore, release more demos, etc. Side question, but is it possible to change the icons on the huge splash screen where it shows all the "major game" icons that the Miis congregate around?
I'm hopeful, at least. Considering how many really good software features they've added over the Wii...I would have called you a liar 6 months ago if you told me it was going to be THIS good. (although what the heck is up with those load times)

and yeah - icons are based on which games have high activity. TVii recently replaced something else on mine.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

quote:

:words: about Motion Plus

The way I saw it though, its far less alienating to expect people to buy a cheap attachment for their existing controllers than to buy whole new expensive controllers like every other system ever. I just dont want developers to not make their games have good remote motion controls because 'not everyone has motion plus, therefore it isnt worth the time and effort to go beyond simple waggle'

I really hope Im wrong though, and that devs tend to only ignore it when the game really wouldnt benefit, Nintendo Land being the best example

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I would kind of like to be able to set those games manually. Some of the communities I'd like to see content streamed to my splash screen, such as NicoNico and Monster Hunter 3G HD Ver., are unavailable in North America and so I don't quite know how to make them stay on my screen.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

theflyingorc posted:

I'm hopeful, at least. Considering how many really good software features they've added over the Wii...I would have called you a liar 6 months ago if you told me it was going to be THIS good. (although what the heck is up with those load times)

and yeah - icons are based on which games have high activity. TVii recently replaced something else on mine.

I think they've learned their lesson via the 3DS since the home menu and general features have a very 3DS feel to them. Maybe one day we'll get folders too!

Also good to know about icons, kinda surprised you can't customize them.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Bland posted:

The Wii constantly had higher console and software sales, so their own failure probably kept most devs away.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Has anybody found it necessary to put a screen protector on the WiiU screen? I'm sure it's inevitable before it gets a scratch but am wondering if it's more resistant to scratches than say the 3DS or DS. I've heard the Hori one sucks, which is unfortunate considering their track record.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

theflyingorc posted:

However, I don't think its the development houses' collective fault that the kind of games I wanted to see didn't come out on the Wii. It would have probably been an actually bad idea to try to create a cheaper Call of Duty or Resident Evil or Gears of War on the Wii. In fact, that's what The Conduit was - and while they survived, they didn't exactly thrive.

Call of Duty: World at War, RE: Umbrella Chronicles and Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition were decent sellers on the Wii actually. World at War had a pretty good online base as I had a few friends who preferred Wii controls and played it online. Now, was it 360/PS3? No, but I'm sure CoD made some decent cash for Activision despite being a bit gimped.

My point wasn't about how why didn't companies make a game like GTA4 for the Wii. My point is more that I have little sympathy for some of the publishers that are on high tides due to failed AAA big budget titles when the most successful console of last generation was barely stronger than an X-Box, Carnival Games could sell 1.5 million units for it and big publishers couldn't be bothered to try to cash in on it.

Third party publishers only have themselves to blame when it comes to not making Wii centric games when Deca Sports 2 can sell 2 million copies.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Louisgod posted:

Has anybody found it necessary to put a screen protector on the WiiU screen? I'm sure it's inevitable before it gets a scratch but am wondering if it's more resistant to scratches than say the 3DS or DS. I've heard the Hori one sucks, which is unfortunate considering their track record.

I got concerned enough that I put one on mine. I think it'll be okay since I'm more likely to use fingers than the stylus on that screen but better safe than sorry.

Unfortunately I bought the Hori one since I they had made good protectors in the past and found out that it was about an eighth of an inch too short. Of course I found this out after I lined up the protector with the bottom of the screen...

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Louisgod posted:

I have half the page to read yet, so maybe this has been brought up, but I just wanted to mention that the attach rate numbers don't count online purchases or the pack-in Nintendoland. That means for me personally, for most of a month I had "zero games" for mine, because all I had was NL and Little Inferno and Nano Assault off the eShop. Not until mid-December when I did Christmas purchases of Sonic Racing and Scribblenauts did I finally register. So there's definitely some under reporting, because I've certainly seen a lot of people mention they've downloaded, say, NSMBU, which is THE game.

However, I think it's also true about the year old ports and stuff. I never had a PS3/360 (I stick to my PC) but I also hear things about the ports being a little janky. I still may pick up one or two that I missed, but depending on the market that missed them the first time around is a poor idea.

I agree sales will peter out. There's just not a lot mentioned in the rest of the launch window until March. What have we got coming, Rayman and Monster Hunter? Nintendo burned itself on the 3DS by telling people about games far too early (Animal Crossing STILL not out yet!) so it's clear they're taking the complete opposite approach here and in this case it may be frustrating gamers even worse.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I hadn't thought about including downloaded games, that's a good point, but I'm curious how much it would skew that number. Despite that, I still think the attach rate is fairly low when you consider the other points I brought up. It's hard to pick up Batman and Mass Effect when you can literally buy them for a console or PC for $10 or $15.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I was disappointed in the Hori protector especially because it was such a breeze to install the 3DS one on my wife's new pink 3DSXL.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Louisgod posted:

I hadn't thought about including downloaded games, that's a good point, but I'm curious how much it would skew that number. Despite that, I still think the attach rate is fairly low when you consider the other points I brought up. It's hard to pick up Batman and Mass Effect when you can literally buy them for a console or PC for $10 or $15.

It probably wouldn't skew it that much. Enough people are freaked out about stuff being linked to the consoles and not the account. Not to mention in PAL regions they can generally get stuff cheaper at retail than off the eShop, which is why online purchases are so abysmal over there for Nintendo (not sure about anyone else). Still, I was considering getting Mario myself, since I know it won't go on sale for a long, long time.

Yeah, I mean Batman and ME keep coming up as Steam deals and even AC3 is 25% off today. (That's not enough for me to get it on the PC over the WiiU, though.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
How credible is this James Hardiman guy from Longbow Research? I can't even find the original analysis, just a bunch of websites quoting this guy. Gamestop received a significant portion of the Wii U launch systems and claimed a 2.4 attach rate with pre-orders. Obviously people don't always follow through with pre-orders and some will have bought games from other retailers instead of gamestop, but going from 2.4 to 1.2 doesn't make sense. With an attach rate of 1.2, with the two different sku's of the deluxe and standard it almost sounds like to achieve that attach rate you'd probably have to assume people who bought the standard Wii U's weren't buying any games either. The whole thing is kind of silly anyways if you aren't going to include downloaded games.

Maybe it is 1.2, what do I know. I'd just like to see some kind of data, at least something to prove this guy isn't a "Iphone gaming is destroying console gaming" analyst.

• Locked thread