Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party in the UAE
Sep 10, 2012

by XyloJW

partipo posted:

I think a lot of it is that a lot of younger fans have this weird selective memory where anything from the 70s/80s (before they were born) gets overromanticised and anything from the 90s (especially if it happened outside of the Premier League) they sort of take for granted.

For content, have some goals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYmXsJKMBps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwvzNtDRZLY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yead_lGv_rE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvJ62cqrYy4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmJ5THDNpNs

How nice were those Juve shirts with the stars on the shoulders?

I also think Heysel has a bit to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Didion posted:

Laudrup was an absolutely brilliant player. One of the finest ever. Goddamn, he treated the football like an extension of himself.

Laudrup was a fantastic player. Which one? Either one.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of awesome Danes..

loving Schmeichel. I don't think there's been a better goalkeeper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFhAm67r9h8

Cantona edged this guy out of heroic status for me. He was phenomenal.

polydizzle
Sep 13, 2004

Ninpo posted:

the time Solsjkaer made the kneeslide that hosed up his career.

This is the first time im hearing this, explain?

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Ninpo posted:

loving Schmeichel. I don't think there's been a better goalkeeper.

If there isn't a video out there of Schmeichel's best throws there really should be. The man could throw a ball further than most keepers could kick it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ninpo posted:

Laudrup was a fantastic player. Which one? Either one.

Brian was better.

Euro 92 was the first tournament I watched.

Thurlow
Aug 14, 2005

Vegetable posted:

Stumbled upon this and it's still a great goal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM4O4Da4sDI

I remember watching it live and it was pretty crazy. Would really like to see him play around top players, he deserves far better. He was so depressed against Stoke :(

English defending.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Blue Screen Error posted:

If there isn't a video out there of Schmeichel's best throws there really should be. The man could throw a ball further than most keepers could kick it.

I've been searching for a video I saw of andrei kanchelskis best goals since the majority of them came from a throw past the half way line by Schmeichel. It looks like its been removed though.

Didion
Mar 16, 2009
Oh yeah, not to forget Brian, my football idol as a kid, even had a pair of(one of?)his Hummel shoes.

Didion fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 27, 2012

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

polydizzle posted:

This is the first time im hearing this, explain?

The constant niggling injury that eventually stopped him playing came from a pull he got from the kneeslide in the CL final. He's on record in interviews etc acknowledging it.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Screen Error posted:

One of the best parts of his game and it sparked so so many United counter attacks. He easily and frequently threw it past the halfway line onto a sixpence for the United player that was there.

De Gea has the best distribution of a United keeper since Schmeichel.

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

don't like omelettes but i'll eat crepes all day long

Ninpo posted:

The constant niggling injury that eventually stopped him playing came from a pull he got from the kneeslide in the CL final. He's on record in interviews etc acknowledging it.

Worth it.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Ninpo posted:

De Gea has the best distribution of a United keeper since Schmeichel.

Van der Saar was honestly awful at this, I remember one game where every time he tried to pass the ball to a ManU player it inevitably fell on a Barca player instead.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I can throw the ball out well past the halfway line on a soccer field, can't kick for poo poo or command the area though but reckon Stoke would give me a tryout?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

sassassin posted:

Brian was better.

That is a fairly wrong opinion.

Brian may well have been more talented but he never really had the mental strength to get the most out of that talent.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

please respond posted:

I can throw the ball out well past the halfway line on a soccer field, can't kick for poo poo or command the area though but reckon Stoke would give me a tryout?

No, because you can't kick for poo poo. Therefore you can't a: launch long ball to opponent's box nor b: kick the poo poo out of an opposing attacker.

Sorry Tom. :(

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

MrBling posted:

Brian may well have been more talented but he never really had the mental strength to get the most out of that talent.

The last few pages make me think TRP needs a "best of a generation" thread with clips of who we consider "generational" players, like a Zidane or a M. Laudrup, players who come through once in your lifetime. Someone should make that.

Party in the UAE
Sep 10, 2012

by XyloJW

T. Mascis posted:

The last few pages make me think TRP needs a "best of a generation" thread with clips of who we consider "generational" players, like a Zidane or a M. Laudrup, players who come through once in your lifetime. Someone should make that.

I'll post it but im gonna put Alexi Lalas in the first post

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Party in the UAE posted:

I'll post it but im gonna put Alexi Lalas in the first post

If you make the thread you should probably keep it serious or a thing may happen to your account, thanks man

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

T. Mascis posted:

If you make the thread you should probably keep it serious or a thing may happen to your account, thanks man

Job done, boss.

Party in the UAE
Sep 10, 2012

by XyloJW

T. Mascis posted:

Here's the deal, to anyone in the US Lalas is that guy.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Party in the UAE posted:

Here's the deal, to anyone in the US Lalas is that guy.

gently caress.

No.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
go talk with the other MLS weirdos party in the UAE its all about american legend and EPL legend Brad Friedel :911:

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Abu Dave posted:

go talk with the other MLS weirdos party in the UAE its all about american legend and EPL legend Brad Friedel :911:

That man's accent is so weird now.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Was Taters posted:

Have you heard Mancunian Norwegian Ole Gunnar "our kid" Solskjaer?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Ninpo posted:

No, because you can't kick for poo poo. Therefore you can't a: launch long ball to opponent's box nor b: kick the poo poo out of an opposing attacker.

Sorry Tom. :(

Perhaps I could stand behind the goal with a towel to dry off the ball and when a quick throw is required I'd do it somehow. I'll hash out the details later.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

MrBling posted:

Michael didn't play in the European Championship side, and I had a poster of Brian on me wall when I was 7 years old ergo he was better.

Michael Laudrup had similar problems re: mentality. Read the quotes on his wiki page. Had the talent to be the best ever.

quote:

"One of the most difficult players I have worked with. When he gives 80–90% he is still by far the best, but I want 100%, and he rarely does that." - Cruyff

Psybro
May 12, 2002

Was Taters posted:

He sounds kind of Irish to me now, which sort of makes geographic sense.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

sassassin posted:

Michael didn't play in the European Championship side, and I had a poster of Brian on me wall when I was 7 years old ergo he was better.

Michael Laudrup had similar problems re: mentality. Read the quotes on his wiki page. Had the talent to be the best ever.

Brian deliberately sought out smaller clubs (and in theory lower pressure) partly because he had seen what the intense pressure had done to his brother.
His talent was to there no doubt, Barcelona tried to sign him while he was at Rangers and he turned them down.

Michael ended up turning down Liverpool at age 18 because they tried adding an extra year to the already agreed 3 year deal, without offering more money as they felt he needed an "apprentice year" year. Michael knew he was ready to play and told them there was no way he would give them a free year. Instead he went to the best league in the world at the time where his main competition was the best player in the world at the time.

JunkDeluxe
Oct 21, 2008
How some defender havent been super pissed yet, and broken his leg i don't understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbM-KFVmreM

To be fair some of these players are not defenders, but still fun to watch them get run over.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

JunkDeluxe posted:

How some defender havent been super pissed yet, and broken his leg i don't understand.

To be fair some of these players are not defenders, but still fun to watch them get run over.

Messi has owned pretty much all of Manchester United's players at this point.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
I think the Messi's key is not that he has such control, but rather that he's so left footed, its like a double sided foot. He has the same control with the outside as he does with the inside. That, plus his lower center of gravity, lets him do some wonderful things on the ball. :allears:

sircozzie
Jul 8, 2011

Release the Meerkat

JunkDeluxe posted:

Saw some guy raise a good point that the video proves nothing because it's very selective. He suggested someone put up a compilation of random, unhead of defenders from lowly CL teams or from the Copa Del Rey dispossessing Messi and otherwise getting the better of him.

Still a good video, though I question the inclusion of Marcelo and Nani as "great players".

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:

sircozzie posted:

Saw some guy raise a good point that the video proves nothing because it's very selective.

The title of the video is "Lionel Messi Humiliates Great Players" -- of course it's going to be selective. Yes, someone could make that other video of lesser players humiliating Messi, but it would be a different video with a different aim.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Homura posted:

The title of the video is "Lionel Messi Humiliates Great Players" -- of course it's going to be selective. Yes, someone could make that other video of lesser players humiliating Messi, but it would be a different video with a different aim.

No one has made that video because their isn't enough footage.

Party in the UAE
Sep 10, 2012

by XyloJW

Abu Dave posted:

You spelled Serie A wrong but Sir Brad Friedel, KBE, is a good choice

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:
friedel looks like bruce willis's dad

Party in the UAE
Sep 10, 2012

by XyloJW
more like his brother, hope he's in die hard 6

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Homura posted:

friedel looks like bruce willis's dad
And yet Bruce Willis is just about old enough to be Brad Friedels dad :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

JunkDeluxe posted:

The little clip where he sits Roberto Carlos down and carries on his run reminded me of Robbie Keane doing something similar when he played for Spurs. Sadly I can't remember who it was again so can't find the video :(

• Locked thread