Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I think the War on Christmas is over for the year, but this may still be interesting:

quote:

A note from Gary Gygax in the IFW Monthly of February 1969. A topical historical curiosity, yes, but what does it tell us about who Gary was back then? First of all, he strongly self-identified as a Christian, an important counterpoint to the fundamentalist backlash against his later fantasy-themed games. Gary approached Christianity as a system with rules, which he researched and explored through a strict historical lens. If his readings differed from mainstream conventions, he was never one to bow to popular opinion. Sometimes he took things too seriously, sacrificing fun for accuracy. He was never shy about sharing his ideas and defending his position in public, but respectfully acknowledges the existence of dissenting views. These are all qualities we see reflected in his subsequent career as a game designer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Al Harrington posted:

jesus christ you aren't a kidding

I honestly think a lot of these are either jokes, or peoples fantasies (I doubt even warren buffet would spend 32 million dollars on Christmas presents.)

Longhouse
Nov 8, 2010

Chill out, dog

cupachabra posted:

Right I get that it's really bad form to quote an old post like this, but I was happily browsing this thread when I came across this post and followed the link. I have always held left-wing values but also a live and let live attitude - browsing these pictures I'm all of a sudden humming the Internationale and having what I can only describe as an 'eat the rich' moment. Is an out and out revolution the only way to combat this opulence? Jesus.

Have a Tyvan rendering of the Internationale: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLF7Fl4SXh8

Longhouse fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 28, 2012

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Humboldt squid posted:

I honestly think a lot of these are either jokes, or peoples fantasies (I doubt even warren buffet would spend 32 million dollars on Christmas presents.)

I'm sure "Christmas Presents" is a heritage wealth management strategy to minimize tax impact among other things.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Please tell me that comes with new dialog for Heimskr

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Not Racist

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

prefect posted:

I think the War on Christmas is over for the year, but this may still be interesting:

The Legacy of Game Theory lives on...the ghost in the machine we've inherited from the 20th Century.

1900 German magazine concept for the year 2000

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Saint Sputnik posted:

Who cares, they're chickens.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I care because I wouldn't do the same to a dog, or for a better analogy you wouldn't put a pet bird in a teeny cage. Just because an animal is farmed regularly doesn't mean it's suddenly incapable of feeling pain or discomfort but blah blah blah treehugging you get the idea.

e: picture not that huge in preview

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Volcott posted:

Who cares, they're beings with a capacity for pain.

Bonnot Gang

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

"Either way, it's going to hurt like crazy."

Text GoogleTranslated:
Kabul - Afghanistan in the 70s before the rise of the Taliban "I get many emails from my readers were surprised to have discovered that in the '60s and '70s Kabul was a cosmopolitan city with a huge and avant-garde." (Khaled Hosseini - author of The Kite Runner)

Volcott posted:

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
-Ghandi

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

gobertech posted:

Text GoogleTranslated:
Kabul - Afghanistan in the 70s before the rise of the Taliban "I get many emails from my readers were surprised to have discovered that in the '60s and '70s Kabul was a cosmopolitan city with a huge and avant-garde." (Khaled Hosseini - author of The Kite Runner)

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
-Ghandi

So says a tyrant and a war criminal.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

gobertech posted:

-Ghandi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMd9F4knILQ

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

McDowell posted:

The Legacy of Game Theory lives on...the ghost in the machine we've inherited from the 20th Century.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

McDowell posted:

2000? Pshaw! This one was realized in 1984
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akLC_JMjpjA

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Reminder: he ran on a platform that advocated a child labor program.

BunnyBunny
Aug 17, 2005
Picking up the field mice...

Joementum posted:

Reminder: he ran on a platform that advocated a child labor program.

I had the opportunity to go to a great private high school thanks to a work study program. My family wouldn't have been able to afford it otherwise. Keep that in mind.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Let's hear that straight from the jackass's mouth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MKdovmI9BQ

Stop entrapping children in stupid child's laws. Free them to be all they can be: ununionized janitors.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
One Master Janitor!

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
One janitor to rule them all!

I've been on a bit of a Tolkien binge lately, due to the new hobbit movie, and if you like the series you might like The Last Ringbearer which paints the position of the, Sauron, Saruman, and the Orcs somewhat differently, it's also free in English because of copyrights, and Tolkien's son being batshit insane when it comes to anything made by his father.

Pic is the book's author Kirill Eskov.

AndroidHub fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Dec 29, 2012

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Post your favourite corporate piece of poo poo!

Rupert Murdoch
Fox Broadcasting Company, News Corporation

Helped ruin news media
Misogynist
Close friend of Margaret Thatcher

Al Dunlop
Sunbeam (amongst others)

Made a career of making people unemployed
Multiple counts of Accounting Fraud
Purposely ran Corporations into the ground
Golden Parachuting

Lee Raymond
ExxonMobil

Climate Change Denial
Environment Destruction
Golden Parachuting

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Soviet fiscal cliff?

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Dec 29, 2012

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

quote:

Chinese-Korean solidarity against U.S. imperialism

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Accretionist posted:

Soviet fiscal cliff?

Something about "The man who cannot read is as a blindman"

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfGMYdalClU

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 591 days!

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Saint Sputnik posted:

Solution? Chicken Matrix.

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 591 days!
Animals were put on this earth to serve man as we see fit. We see fit to deep fry those suckers it seems.

az
Dec 2, 2005

gently caress everything.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

Pobama posted:

Animals were put on this earth to serve man as we see fit. We see fit to deep fry those suckers it seems.

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

From the wiki

Meat dress of Lady Gaga posted:

As with her other dresses, it was archived, but went on display in 2011 at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame after being preserved by taxidermists as a type of jerky. Gaga explained following the awards ceremony that the dress was a statement about one's need to fight for what one believes in, and highlighted her distaste for the US military's don't-ask-don't-tell policy.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

I hate this anecdote. The rich and the government were the same thing in that story. Which is mostly true today.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Orange_Lazarus posted:

I hate this anecdote. The rich and the government were the same thing in that story. Which is mostly true today.

This has been sadly true for a long time.

Reading Zinn's A Peoples History now and... wow. The fact that 50 people owned 49% of the wealth in 17th century America (which had a population of 1,600,000) is just the most depressing thing ever. This continent has been hosed up ever since we got here :(

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Saint Sputnik posted:

Heimskr means dumb in Norse btw. So he'd probably be spouting right-wing Fox News tripe.
Honestly though, I was really surprised when I talked to people about the game how many took the side of the Stormcloaks. Like, seriously? Are you people actually taking the side of the racist separatist? Do you, like, have no idea what the Empire represents?
Hated that game from a gameplay point of view too. What a terrible game.

Pic is famous feminist in Iceland receiving a "Hero of the Year" award from a newspaper: The comments on that article were delectable. So much whining.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Iceland seems like such a dynamic place. I need to learn more about it.

Toronto's glorious leader.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

SpaceMost posted:

Iceland seems like such a dynamic place. I need to learn more about it.

Toronto's glorious leader.

Why did you post Hoggish Greedly in the DnD thread???

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Heimskr means dumb in Norse btw. So he'd probably be spouting right-wing Fox News tripe.
Honestly though, I was really surprised when I talked to people about the game how many took the side of the Stormcloaks. Like, seriously? Are you people actually taking the side of the racist separatist? Do you, like, have no idea what the Empire represents?

The empire works best as a metaphor for fascism in World War II. I have no clue why you'd want to support foreign imperialism in that game, considering how the Empire wants to ban traditional Nord religion and destroy their culture. I have no idea why you would support the Empire - they support an illegitimate King, broke their treaties with the Nords, and promote male supremacy. The Stormcloaks have a problem with racists in their ranks, but I see this as similar to the Americans imprisoning Japanese citizens. It's wrong and inexcusable, but the Stormcloaks are the lesser of two evils.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Chamale posted:

The empire works best as a metaphor for fascism in World War II. I have no clue why you'd want to support foreign imperialism in that game, considering how the Empire wants to ban traditional Nord religion and destroy their culture. I have no idea why you would support the Empire - they support an illegitimate King, broke their treaties with the Nords, and promote male supremacy. The Stormcloaks have a problem with racists in their ranks, but I see this as similar to the Americans imprisoning Japanese citizens. It's wrong and inexcusable, but the Stormcloaks are the lesser of two evils.

There's already a fascist analogue in Skyrim and it's not the Empire.

I don't think it's particularly subtle either.

This really doesn't matter since I think you're just being contrarian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Chamale posted:

I've always supported the Empire because of their generous pension plan and other retirement benefits.

• Locked thread