Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Legerdemain posted:

gently caress me, Musician's Friend has these and the double cutaways for 40% off at the moment. I am seriously tempted. That teaburst looks so good.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/vox-sdc33-double-cutaway-solidbody-electric-guitar

I picked up a single-cutaway in vintage cream from them for $300 a couple weeks back and I've had no regrets about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Xabi posted:

Tell me more about this, please.
Awesome, ridiculously low price, kicks the snot out of most other plugins out there.

quote:

e: nevermind the rather silly question, I've read some more now. I imagine you've tried the VRoom before? Do you use any of them for electric guitar?
Nope, synths only. Lush reverbs are like crack to me, I can just listen endlessly to single plings and plonks and 20-second reverb tails all day.

But there are demos - go try Shimmer on guitar and you can spend the money you'd otherwise blow on an Eventide Space on something else. Or combine Ubermod and Room for different effects yet again (but with more possibilities)

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 28, 2012

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Did you know Levy's makes accordian straps? I didn't either until I saw this on amazon while looking for something completely unrelated. The strap that was on it when I got it was starting to dry rot and fall apart.

$20 later and I got this spiffy new set. Hopefully the white will mellow out a bit to match the pearloid over time.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Just e-mailed the builder to put my name on the production list for one of these:

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Butch Cassidy posted:

Just e-mailed the builder to put my name on the production list for one of these:

Is the builder Dr. Seuss?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

HollisBrown posted:

Is the builder Dr. Seuss?

Looks like a :hist101::sax: if I'm not mistaken

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

A serpent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWez9hhitXQ

More like a proto tuba.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Picked this up just before christmas:

A Joyo Analog delay pedal. For $40 you would be crazy not to pick one up. Sounds just as good as an MXR Carbon Copy. Self Oscillates and has a good variety of sounds from spacey David Gilmour stuff to spanky country junk. I have 2 Joyos now and they are both killer.

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

I'M NOT ABOUT TO START SPENDING MONEY ON THE FORUMS, THANKS.

HollisBrown posted:

I have 2 Joyos now and they are both killer.

I have their digital delay and am pretty impressed. Mine will self-oscillate, too, but there's one thing about it that I don't care for: if the effect is disengaged, it will resume where it left off when started again. I think this only happens with specific settings, though; not sure.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Kept finding all of these AMT pedals whenever I searched for Legend amps on eBay, piqued my interested, did a little sleuthing and found this tiny baby Japanese girl wah that they make, so I ordered one. Very interested in the fact that it handles well with fuzz pedals apparently, because my current RMC3 and vintage Jen Mr. Crybaby are absolute poo poo when placed before a GE fuzz. Will report back when it arrives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3P3vtmJ99c

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

How much, if you don't mind me asking? I've been tempted to switch up my wah situation lately.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Allen Wren posted:

How much, if you don't mind me asking? I've been tempted to switch up my wah situation lately.

It's about $129+s&h on eBay, which is pretty decent as far as wahs go. I would rather forget how much I paid for the Teese considering how much it hasn't done for me, to be honest, and if I like this one better, I'll sell the Teese and have a bit left over.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.
This...

to go in here...

like this...

to power this.

JustTheWorst
Sep 14, 2008

Filled with delicious shrimp!
After toiling in the shop with problems for weeks, this far too old Washburn HM-20 is finally mine and in working order!

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Kluson Wafflebacks to upgrade my 60's Tribute SG. Now to figure out which Callaham bridge I need and I'll be all set.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

muike posted:

It's nice to have a 7 string again.

I switched the D Activators in this around, and wow, what a difference. The d activator neck pickup is an amazing bridge pickup. It's got this telecaster like sound to it that really makes you want to dig in, and it doesn't get too thick or dark. In fact, it's fairly bright. I recommend more people try it out. You could use it for all sorts of genres, it really nails rock sounds, not just metal. It's almost like a traditional single coil turned into a modern humbucker. Anything you think would sound good on a tele or a strat bridge pickup would sound great with this.

Handen posted:

Kluson Wafflebacks to upgrade my 60's Tribute SG. Now to figure out which Callaham bridge I need and I'll be all set.
You wouldn't happen to mean one of these style of bridges, would you?
http://www.allparts.com/GB-0510-010-Chrome-Bridge-for-Gibsonreg-SG_p_1534.html

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

Handen posted:

please post what kind of bridge you end up getting, I need to get one for my SG as well.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
Got a focusrite 8i6 today completing my studio. I've barely had any time to play with it but I can already get a good distorted guitar sound through it which is something I could never get with an iPad. I still haven't figured out how to record anything yet so I will probly spending the next few days watching ableton tutorials and trying to figure out how to hook up super old midi equipment.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Krustic posted:

completing my studio.

Every time a musician says this, the universe laughs.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

Trig Discipline posted:

Every time a musician says this, the universe laughs.

Haha very true. What I should have said was I purchased the minimum amount of equipment nessassary to record sound on a computer. I'm trying to make the jump from terrible musician to terrible recording artist. Just what the universe needs.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

muike posted:

I switched the D Activators in this around, and wow, what a difference. The d activator neck pickup is an amazing bridge pickup. It's got this telecaster like sound to it that really makes you want to dig in, and it doesn't get too thick or dark. In fact, it's fairly bright. I recommend more people try it out. You could use it for all sorts of genres, it really nails rock sounds, not just metal. It's almost like a traditional single coil turned into a modern humbucker. Anything you think would sound good on a tele or a strat bridge pickup would sound great with this.

You wouldn't happen to mean one of these style of bridges, would you?
http://www.allparts.com/GB-0510-010-Chrome-Bridge-for-Gibsonreg-SG_p_1534.html

No. One of these.

Milled from cold rolled steel, no dicking about. The bridge mine came with doesn't even rest on the studs properly, and all of the saddle notches are uneven. I figure if I upgrade the tuners and get a proper manly bridge then I can string it with the 6 heaviest strings from the lightest 7 string gauge and tune down to c standard finally.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

A cousin of mine who I hardly ever talk to got in touch with me to shoot the poo poo. I mentioned I was going to start playing bass primarily with a new group and he mentioned he had an old bass that he hardly ever used before he started playing guitar, and I was welcome to go to his mother's house and take it. A short drive later, I came home with this:

Who knew the guy was sitting on a Fender J-bass all this time? Mexican made, 99-00 identification. It's in pretty good condition, all things considered. There's a number of bumps, dents and scratches in the finish and the hardware has all rusted, and the electronics will need some tightening up, but once all the holidays are through I can put this in the hands of a good luthier and hopefully have it back in fit condition!

One real thing that's bugging the crap out of me, there's a spot on the bottom of the guitar (dangerously close to the crotch area) that reeked of piss.

Human piss.

:stare: It... still kinda smells funky. I may never get over that.

EDIT:
\/\/\/ The alcohol content in my urine is too high, it might damage the laquer \/\/\/

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 1, 2013

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Jeff Goldblum posted:

A cousin of mine who I hardly ever talk to got in touch with me to shoot the poo poo. I mentioned I was going to start playing bass primarily with a new group and he mentioned he had an old bass that he hardly ever used before he started playing guitar, and I was welcome to go to his mother's house and take it. A short drive later, I came home with this:

Who knew the guy was sitting on a Fender J-bass all this time? Mexican made, 99-00 identification. It's in pretty good condition, all things considered. There's a number of bumps, dents and scratches in the finish and the hardware has all rusted, and the electronics will need some tightening up, but once all the holidays are through I can put this in the hands of a good luthier and hopefully have it back in fit condition!

One real thing that's bugging the crap out of me, there's a spot on the bottom of the guitar (dangerously close to the crotch area) that reeked of piss.

Human piss.

:stare: It... still kinda smells funky. I may never get over that.

Well you'd better pee on it yourself to make sure people know it's changed owners.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

My grandfather passed away the week before Christmas and left me some inheritance money. He had always been really supportive of my playing and never missed an opportunity to drive me to a band practice or buy me some strings or a new capo, etc., if I needed them. Ironically, he also introduced me to the music of people and bands like Jimi Hendrix, The Who, Cream, and many others, despite his distaste for "those rockin' rollers". A couple of summers ago, he even helped me build an SG Junior from plans I had bought online.

I miss him a lot.

Most of my inheritance is going towards student loans but I used some of the money to buy a new Gibson Flying V; a guitar I have lusted after ever since I started playing guitar. Sorry for the lovely cell phone picture but I don't have a better camera on me.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
That's loving hot.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
"Hey grandpa, I took that inheritance, paid off my debt, and bought a rocking loving guitar."

Grandpa nods in approval somewhere in the ether.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Shred a rock rendition of Oh Danny Boy. Im sure gramps would be proud.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
I'm looking to pick up some Yamaha hs50m monitors for mixing and jamming with amp modelers. I saw an eBay listing that includes the monitors, 2 aurelex mopads and two xlr cables for 400, all brand new. Any reason why I shouldn't do this? It does anyone have a better solution? They'll be plugged into a pod x3 live for now, going to upgrade to a better interface in a few months. Thanks!

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Thorpe posted:

I'm looking to pick up some Yamaha hs50m monitors for mixing and jamming with amp modelers. I saw an eBay listing that includes the monitors, 2 aurelex mopads and two xlr cables for 400, all brand new. Any reason why I shouldn't do this? It does anyone have a better solution? They'll be plugged into a pod x3 live for now, going to upgrade to a better interface in a few months. Thanks!

http://www.hellomusic.com/Items/hs50m-active-pair

Here they ar for $300/pair, those mopads plus xlr cables aren't worth $100. But those might not have the low end response you'll want depending on what kind of stuff you play.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Finished up my PJ SX today with a tort guard and tugbar.

Mister Clancy
Feb 18, 2007

5 Bux

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Finished up my PJ SX today with a tort guard and tugbar.

How do the SXs play/sound when you work on em a bit?

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
Schecter Loomis

Agile 827

Pod HD Desktop

It's been a month of extended ranges! I wish I could take a better picture of the Loomis, it's a pretty spectacular guitar. I don't understand where all the "Schecter necks = baseball bat" stuff comes from, this is my third and they're more than comfortable enough for my tiny hands - and size small gloves are usually a bit too big for me (the frets are also gigantic, most of my other guitars have jumbos and the extra jumbos on the Loomis make it feel nearly scalloped). It's a shame Schecter doesn't make another 7 with EMGs and a maple fretboard since I'm not a Loomis or Nevermore fan at all. The Agile was a little disappointing, but I'm not sure what I expected for the money - it's a solid guitar but setting the intonation is a bitch and the fret ends are fairly sharp. Stock pickups are pretty drat good for passives though. Pod HD is a world ahead of my old X3 Live, Line 6 really got their poo poo together with the new models.

The best part, of course, is that I financed all this gear with the money I saved switching from two packs of American Spirits a day to e-cigs!

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast
I sold my bass and amp a few years ago as they were collecting dust for a long time. Recently I got the urge to play again, which led to...

Fender Mexican Passive Jazz, picked it up for $300 on Craigslist. Sounds fantastic, I love it so far. Currently borrowing the Ampeg (BA112) from someone until I know what I want to go with amp-wise. Even built my own cable (Canare GS6 with Neutrik plugs and Techflex)! So great to have an instrument again.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Aw yeah, look what came in the mail yesterday:

It's a 1985 Japanese Boss HM-2 I got on ebay for a reasonable $100. Shown in the EQ setting I'm never ever going to change. There's a little bit of rust on the metal parts but nothing major. Let's see it in it's natural habitat

The pedal has a little sticker saying to only use a Boss ACA adapter on it and the seller hand wrote a note saying the same thing on the invoice. As you can see I power my chain with a DC Brick and it doesn't have a 12v output, which is apparently what the ACA adapter supplied. From the cursory research I did online I learned that the DC Brick has a common ground so it's fine to use an old pedal like this so long as other pedals are being powered by it in the same signal chain. I played with the pedal yesterday and today and it didn't seem to have any weird electrical issues so I'm not really worried, though I'm still a little cautious because I'm afraid of the DC brick supplying too much current.

Either way I loving love this thing, it's pretty much the tone of some of my favorite bands shoved into a pedal. Next purchase will be a good pedalboard because holy poo poo I can't stand not having one anymore.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution

Francostein posted:

The pedal has a little sticker saying to only use a Boss ACA adapter on it and the seller hand wrote a note saying the same thing on the invoice. As you can see I power my chain with a DC Brick and it doesn't have a 12v output, which is apparently what the ACA adapter supplied. From the cursory research I did online I learned that the DC Brick has a common ground so it's fine to use an old pedal like this so long as other pedals are being powered by it in the same signal chain. I played with the pedal yesterday and today and it didn't seem to have any weird electrical issues so I'm not really worried, though I'm still a little cautious because I'm afraid of the DC brick supplying too much current.

Not to worry, you're doing it right. Even if you only use a 9v adapter without daisychaining, it simply won't get enough power, the effect will be weaker and the LED will be dim, but no harm will be done. If you do have it in a daisychain, that somehow defeats the resistor or whatever and it gets all the power necessary. I found this out years ago after freaking out that the CE-2 I bought was defective...

congrats on the HM-2, that's one of the vintage Boss pedals I'd still like to get my hands on. Even Johnny Marr used one!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Phew, thanks. I was thinking in my head "ok just pulling numbers out of my rear end, if this thing takes 24W and needs 12V then it'll be 2A but if I supply 9V then that's 3.somethingA oh god I need to google the max current input and get out my multimeter so I don't fry the thing."

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Picked up a Squier Jag Bass SS at L&M a few days ago and it just felt right in my tiny hands. Also, there's the Hagstrom III that I picked up at an estate sale for stupid cheap in September, and a bunch of other crap lying around.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
My latest gear: some wall hangers and a Nocaster!

sorry about the lovely picture, the room's a bit dark and the iphone camera isn't exactly great

Xabi fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 6, 2013

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Handen posted:

Picked up a Squier Jag Bass SS at L&M a few days ago and it just felt right in my tiny hands. Also, there's the Hagstrom III that I picked up at an estate sale for stupid cheap in September, and a bunch of other crap lying around.

I've been wanting to get a Jag bass just like that.

How you like the Legend amp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
Not so much a new instrument as it is an old one that I decided to chop up and convert into something else.

Original mediocre Czechoslovakian-made violin before I did terrible things to it:

Brand new eight string Hardanger fiddle I turned it into:
(yes, another one. I like hardingfeles apparently)

Main thread here.

I haven't played it yet.