Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

JustJeff88 posted:

My SK is 80 and I doubt that he will ever be higher (my God does EQ spike in terms of gear requirements and difficulty 80+), but I have to admit that I don't really know how to play him that well even though he is in full 80 kit, 2.0 (and 1.0, because it just looks fantastic), and max CS/CA and HP AA for his level. I'm guess that HA is something post-80 or I would have it by now.

My SK has 522 AA (Silver cap is 1000), but I think that I might post what he was on this thread. He and my bard (and mercs) are helping to PL my 62 wizard, but they are getting a fair few AA in the process. Right now I am upgrading Mortal Coil, but I want to get an idea of what specific AA I need to earn in order for this bugger to be able to swarm properly. I will probably die a hundred times trying to do it properly, but since this character is pretty much as end-game as he will ever get, there isn't that much else I can do with him.

It's an AA, Hate's Attraction. It's 85 minimum I think? I posted a big summary of what you need for swarming last page or so, but basically you want CS/CA/Phys Endurance/MortalCoil then all the riposte AAs and all the lifetap proc AAs. Get the riposte AAs first for pure swarming because you can't rely on the lifetap procs to keep you up, they're just nice to have. You live or die based on getting MC to proc before 2.0 wears off, keeping it up, and having it heal you for as much or more than you're taking damage based on riposting a shitload. Obviously you'll want the beefiest 2her possible, which I think at 80 is a Hammer of Greatness or something close to that name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

MrTheDevious posted:

It's an AA, Hate's Attraction. It's 85 minimum I think? I posted a big summary of what you need for swarming last page or so, but basically you want CS/CA/Phys Endurance/MortalCoil then all the riposte AAs and all the lifetap proc AAs. Get the riposte AAs first for pure swarming because you can't rely on the lifetap procs to keep you up, they're just nice to have. You live or die based on getting MC to proc before 2.0 wears off, keeping it up, and having it heal you for as much or more than you're taking damage based on riposting a shitload. Obviously you'll want the beefiest 2her possible, which I think at 80 is a Hammer of Greatness or something close to that name.

I just maxed Mortal Coil for level 80 last night, and I do have a Hammer of Greatness. I also have, as a 1H weapon, that Jumping Axe that procs a rune spell for more mitigation.

Edit: I went back through and looked at all of (what I imagine) are the relevant AAs for this type of thing, and where I am in them. (SK currently has 587 AA)

Combat Stability: 23/48 (Max for level 80)
Combat Agility: 23/50 (Max for level 80)
Natural Durabliity/Planar Durability/Physical Enhancement: All absolute max

Double Riposte: 0/6
Mortal Coil: 6/12 (Max for level 80)
Touch of the Cursed: 1/27
Knight's Advantage: absolute max

Crit AA

Melee

Combat Fury 1/6
Veteran's Wrath 0/21
Flurry 0/9
Speed of the Knight 4/18

Direct Damage/Taps

Destructive Fury 0/9
Fury of Magic 0/15
Spell Casting Fury 0/3
Theft of Life 7/19

Damage over Time

Critical Affliction 0/9
Destructive Cascade 0/16

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 28, 2012

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I updated the OP with a little status on the goon population.

In other news, I got my lil' gnome wizard his epic 1.0 in just a few days on Test. I got lucky - VS was up the second day I checked, and dropped the Gnarled Staff on the first kill. Phinny dropped the Blue staff on the 4th kill or so. The Wizard epic was quite underwhelming in terms of what you need to do and talk to, really short and just two big boss camps. Also did yet another Ranger 1.0 epic on this new ranger I levelled up... call me crazy, but I love 1.0's and am going to level more classes up just to do them.

Got the ranger and wiz box up to lvl 80 and am currently grinding a bit of AA, then I think I'll just drag them along in HoT missions for XP and AA.

JustJeff88 posted:

All of these "classic" EQ memories are great, but at the same time it does highlight a lot of the horrible design decisions in EQ that existed for so long. What bothered me the most was not that they were bad ideas, but that then Verant and now Sony took sometimes bloody years to address them. I remember, in early~ish PoP, when they had a big patch and released an e-mail saying that Complete Healing and clerics were too important to the game and they added huge, slow-to-cast heals to shaman and druids. Great idea, but the over-importance of that class and that one spell had been the case for several years prior to that, yet only after all of that time did they twig to it. That is the kind of thing that bothers me: it's not making mistakes (fair enough, we all do) that gets on my tits, but taking ages to fix them, or never fixing them at all (level loss from death, dear God how I hate you).
I agree, that's definitely what killed EQ and made people move to WoW in droves back then. EQ is a lot of fun now, but the devs were incompetent beyond belief back then. Shame on you in anyone out there is reading; just terribly decisions all over, terrible communication, and a loathesome treatment of your playerbase.

Devor posted:

Arg, now I'm conflicted between bard and ranger. Is bard pick lock relevant past Old-World EQ? It was nice being able to get into all of Old Sebilis.
Not as far as I know, and if it's about doors, you can always glitchs through them by using shrink or an illusion clickie. For example, click an AoN (Amulet of Necropotence) to go skellie, autorun into the door, then remove the illusion - boom, you're now popped through the door. You can also shrink, camp hugging the door, then log back in, and you'll be able to walk forward, through the door. Weird that they still haven't fixed this.

About bard vs. ranger - it depends on what your goal is and your tolerance for boxing. I added a bard box to my monk+shaman earlier year, got him up to lvl 90 along with spells and gear. I ended up being bored to tears with him, because all I did with him was stand there and do a few sets of melodies. I had my monk to pull, so I didn't need him for that nor mezzing as I always pulled carefully. It was just too dull, and the DPS the songs add is a bit overrated - certainly nowhere near the DPS a "real" DPS box class can add, such as a wizard for example, or a necro, magician or other. Overhaste is nice and all, but it's not like 20% overhaste adds 20% DPS, not even close.

I've yet to start doing missions and such, but my new box additions (to monk+shaman) are a ranger and wizard, and I think I'm going to have fun. It's not so much about having the optimal box setup with high dps, but I love ranger track, their buffs and archery, and the wizard's ports are sweet, plus they are a notoriously good and easy dps box.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Pilsner posted:

Not as far as I know, and if it's about doors, you can always glitchs through them by using shrink or an illusion clickie. For example, click an AoN (Amulet of Necropotence) to go skellie, autorun into the door, then remove the illusion - boom, you're now popped through the door. You can also shrink, camp hugging the door, then log back in, and you'll be able to walk forward, through the door. Weird that they still haven't fixed this.

I would guess that since it's a bug that no one complains about, and would only serve to upset those that still play, it's very, very, very low on their priority list to fix.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Pilsner posted:

I updated the OP with a little status on the goon population.

In other news, I got my lil' gnome wizard his epic 1.0 in just a few days on Test. I got lucky - VS was up the second day I checked, and dropped the Gnarled Staff on the first kill. Phinny dropped the Blue staff on the 4th kill or so. The Wizard epic was quite underwhelming in terms of what you need to do and talk to, really short and just two big boss camps. Also did yet another Ranger 1.0 epic on this new ranger I levelled up... call me crazy, but I love 1.0's and am going to level more classes up just to do them.

Good for you, mate. I found a way to cheese the hell out of the wizard 1.0 by using a rogue shroud to talk to Kandin without the necessary faction and get the gear for the Broken Golem in Plane of Fear. Saved me a lot of arsing about and several thousand platinum to boot. Then I just had to get the 3 staves and use the invis trick to work around further faction issues with Kandin, the bloke in Everfrost, and the final turn-in NPC in the Temple of Ro.

Like you, I am a 1.0 whore. All 4 of my toons (80 druid, 80 bard, 80 SK, (now) 71 wizard) have their 1.0s (bard and SK also have 2.0, and my druid has the Globe for the 2.0 though I have yet to do anything else for the 1.5 even). My druid and bard got theirs over a decade ago, but my SK was a few months ago and my wizard a few days ago. The SK epic is still kind of a bitch, but I got the Sky blade while helping a warrior friend with his 1.0 and a very kind person MQd the Fear blade with me without charging me a penny. I am keen to play a ranger, shaman, necro, enchanter, and monk, and for each one I would bend over backwards for their 1.0. The enchanter one is still a huge pain in the arse with a million steps, but too adorable to pass up. The necro one (I have a few Sky bits in my bank, actually) is just fantastic; we used to call it the "Disco Duck" or "Duckstaff" back in "the day", and I want one just because.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
So on Firiona Vie, does attuneable do anything aside from make the item unable to be vendored once it's been equipped? It seems like I can still trade defiant items after using them.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Out of curiosity, is playing a mage just as easy as watching your pet wail on mobs while you nuke? Been thinking about starting a mage and I was wondering if they are easy to box.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

JustJeff88 posted:

Good for you, mate. I found a way to cheese the hell out of the wizard 1.0 by using a rogue shroud to talk to Kandin without the necessary faction and get the gear for the Broken Golem in Plane of Fear. Saved me a lot of arsing about and several thousand platinum to boot. Then I just had to get the 3 staves and use the invis trick to work around further faction issues with Kandin, the bloke in Everfrost, and the final turn-in NPC in the Temple of Ro.
I read about the wizard cheesing, but I actively refused to abuse it, simply to get the full experience. :) I also do all hails and dialogue for completeness.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

I still want to do the SK 1.0 just because it looks SO goddamn cool. I wonder if Fear's less farmed on Test.

Playing a mage is that easy, yes. You can also swarm PoFire like a Ranger or SK for your first chunk of AA with him if you get sick of abusing Paw.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I'm going to respond to the last 3 posts in chronological order:

Attunable means that, as soon as one equips an item, it is bound to that character forever and cannot be sold. Essentially, it becomes No Trade if you ever use it, but can be sold/traded/given away if you never use it. Virtually all higher-level gear that is not No Trade is Attunable.

Mages are kind of easy mode these days. I don't say that to be mean, but the fact that it is not uncommon for people to box 3 mages (sometimes 4) with mercs says it all. They really are overpowered; their pets are very strong and they are the second-best nukers in the game after wizards. They have a lot of utility with their various summoning spells, but they have no travel spells and no root/snare/Crowd control spells. They are excellent soloists if you are just thinking about yourself.

I cheesed the wizard epic this time because I had done it twice before (once for my wizard, once for a mate) from top to tip over 10 years ago, so I didn't need to see the story again. Now, when I did my SKs 1.0 back this past summer, I enjoyed every little bit of it. I love that the SK epic basically entails Lhranc asking you to do all of these things saying "I will show you a weapon of immense power!" Then, when you do all of these things and give him what he wants, he essentially says "Very good, but I said that I would show you the weapon, not give it to you!"

Then you kill him. That was very satisfying.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I remember I leveled a Mage up to like 34 JUST so I could have him summon swords for my Necro pet. This was before shared bank vaults, so (I think) I would do the terrifying "Hopefully find an uninhabited area, drop item on ground, log other character in and pick it up" trick.

Still wish I could get that account back to look through my old characters, but I let a friend use it when I quit and he decided duping would be awesome so the account got banned. :( Yes, I know leveling a character is easy nowadays but part of the nostalgia is looking at your 10+ year old characters. :)

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Medullah posted:

I remember I leveled a Mage up to like 34 JUST so I could have him summon swords for my Necro pet. This was before shared bank vaults, so (I think) I would do the terrifying "Hopefully find an uninhabited area, drop item on ground, log other character in and pick it up" trick.

Still wish I could get that account back to look through my old characters, but I let a friend use it when I quit and he decided duping would be awesome so the account got banned. :( Yes, I know leveling a character is easy nowadays but part of the nostalgia is looking at your 10+ year old characters. :)

Oh, I understand. I had 4 toons that I tried to recover, and I only succeeded in getting 2 of them back (bard & druid). I had a 65th level gnome wizard with 1.0 and virtually every spell in the game up to 65 (this was when the best spells were raid drops), but I wasn't as attached to him, so I made another wizard who is now 71 (with 1.0).

I had a 65 paladin, though, to whom I was very, very attached and went through utter hell to get him his 1.0 (we hosed up the Miragul fight due to someone going LD and I had to redo the dragon book <scream>). I wasn't able to get him back despite trying for weeks, and I miss him so much that I could not bring myself to play another paladin. I know that these days paladins basically get the short end of it (next to berzerkers, they seem to be the rarest class in the game right now, at least on Luclin) and Shadow Knights are godly once you put the time in, but I wanted another tank (I don't care for warriors) and the above was the primary reason for which I didn't start another paladin - nobody could ever replace my old one in the nostalgia-choked recesses of my mind.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

MrTheDevious posted:

I still want to do the SK 1.0 just because it looks SO goddamn cool. I wonder if Fear's less farmed on Test.

Perhaps, but that was nearly the huge sticking point for me. I had everything else done for the SK 1.0 and I thought that I would be stuck on that bit forever due to the endless farming in Fear, but some very kind warrior MQ'd the Fear blade with me for free out of the goodness of his heart, so I was very fortunate. I agree that Innoruuk's Curse is an amazing-looking weapon and when my SK isn't actually fighting, that is always the weapon that I have him hold just for that reason. They really need to put in a game mechanic where you can make a weapon look like another weapon (that you own) while keeping its original stats, so when my SK is using his 2-handed "DPS" hammer, it would look like that sword while doing level 80 damage with its own stats and proc.

By the way, the guy a few posts ago who mentioned being able to sell Defiant after wearing it: I just now noticed that you were talking about FV server. Very different rules there, so you probably can do that. However, on standard servers all Defiant is essentially "Bind on Equip"

I never played a mage past level 14 or so, but one thing I miss that used to be true was different mage pets being good for different things. As I remember it, the Earth pet was the modest-damage, tough tank that Rooted (for soloing), while Fire was the nuker/caster pet and Water was the high-DPS rogue pet for grouping with a proper tank. Air was the all-rounder that was fairly good at everything. These days, it's all about the Air pet all the time, and I wish that they had preserved that dynamic in modern EQ.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

JustJeff88 posted:

I never played a mage past level 14 or so, but one thing I miss that used to be true was different mage pets being good for different things. As I remember it, the Earth pet was the modest-damage, tough tank that Rooted (for soloing), while Fire was the nuker/caster pet and Water was the high-DPS rogue pet for grouping with a proper tank. Air was the all-rounder that was fairly good at everything. These days, it's all about the Air pet all the time, and I wish that they had preserved that dynamic in modern EQ.

Didn't that pretty much go away once the Epic 1.0 came out? I think that was the only Mage pet people used, at least til I quit.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Medullah posted:

Didn't that pretty much go away once the Epic 1.0 came out? I think that was the only Mage pet people used, at least til I quit.

Possibly, but at least up until the level cap went to 65 in PoP, the mage epic pet was hands-down the best mage pet in the game, so maybe that is a special case. Then again, the mage 1.0 was so loving hard that very few people had it. Even today, nobody bothers when you have to somehow catch up with Quillmane *and* get an item that only drops on the very last island of Plane of Sky. :suicide:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

JustJeff88 posted:

Possibly, but at least up until the level cap went to 65 in PoP, the mage epic pet was hands-down the best mage pet in the game, so maybe that is a special case. Then again, the mage 1.0 was so loving hard that very few people had it. Even today, nobody bothers when you have to somehow catch up with Quillmane *and* get an item that only drops on the very last island of Plane of Sky. :suicide:

Oh yeah, I remember killing Quillmane with my Mage. He wasn't quite high enough level to do it alone, so I kited around until a warrior showed up and helped me finish him. As soon as he drops I see "AssholeWarrior has looted Pegasus Feathered Cloak". He says "Woot, always wanted one of those" and disappeared.

At least they added the loot messages...in the early days, you had no idea what dropped, you had to rely on the honesty of who was in your group. "Oh man, ANOTHER moonstone ring! Crazy!"

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I just read an article online where some cleric was bitching about how mercs have made his life miserable, so I was inspired to post this:

You know, I genuinely feel rather bad about saying this, but I get a rather sadistic joy from how clerics and enchanters have become somewhat disenfranchised in modern EQ, especially in the case of the former. Those two classes were utterly essential for so much of early EQ because the other healers (druid/shaman) couldn't rez or even come close to cleric-level healing abilities while crowd control was paramount and bards were very, very rare (as well as very, very misunderstood - this I can attest to as one of the few who played a bard). I am sure that in high-end raiding this is different, but for those of us outside of the elite I feel that the shift is a kind of kharma for those who were spoiled years ago. I knew so many greedy, snotty, barely-competent rear end in a top hat clerics who got away with murder and got in on everything simply because they were clerics. I always felt that WoW did a really good job of having 4 healing classes (druid, priest, paladin, shaman) who were roughly equal in ability but played significantly differently, and I just think that there is no excuse for not being able to replace one cleric with two druids and/or shaman at the very least. So, now that clerics can be replaced rather capably by wage-earning AI characters, I feel that the privilege enjoyed by the incredibly spoiled cleric class has come 'round full-circle to bite them in the rear end.

I give EQ bottomless credit for having 16 total classes that tend to be reasonably well-balanced and generally have each their own unique feel and mechanics, but they really dropped the ball in some big ways. A lot of people blame mercs for the death of modern EQ, but I think that they might be the saviour of it with the low server populations, huge grind, and so much of the active player base present in the end-game. I genuinely think that this game would be unplayable by most (and thus unprofitable/dead) without them, and I often wish that they had mercs for other classes besides the basic four. I can't see that ever happening as the AI would be very tricky and time-consuming to write, but it would be a lot of fun to have a bard bot twisting songs or a necro merc dumping mana to the healer who is nearly out of juice.

Not Grover
Nov 6, 2007
So, for the people left on Luclin/newcomers to Luclin, what are you all looking at for playtimes? I caught a few of the earlier arrivals out hunting at low-ish levels, but the last half dozen or so times I've logged in it's only been people from Test in the serverwide channel, and they were AFK. I am still waffling on the idea of coming back for real, but it's super fun to dick around and help out lowbies/do epics, so I'm pretty much always down to do that kind of thing.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm going to respond to the last 3 posts in chronological order:

Attunable means that, as soon as one equips an item, it is bound to that character forever and cannot be sold. Essentially, it becomes No Trade if you ever use it, but can be sold/traded/given away if you never use it. Virtually all higher-level gear that is not No Trade is Attunable.

My question was about attunable items on Firiona Vie, the server where almost nothing is nodrop. Attunable items on FV (at least attunable defiant items) do not become no-trade. Was wondering if there was any other implication that I'm missing, since that is normally the only difference.

cycomatix
Apr 23, 2008
Fun Shoe
Only that if you were to move the items off of FV, via a server transfer or /testcopy, then those attunable items would function as they normally do. Specifically to FV, I'm pretty sure the tag is meaningless.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I agree about mercs. People complaining about them forget about all the times they weren't able to do anything because a key class was missing. Either that, or they played one of those always in demand classes, and didn't realize how much it sucked for everyone else.

I'll still take a real cleric over a merc healer, particularly when it comes to the higher end zones and fights against nameds. Merc healers do have the huge advantage of never taking an unannounced afk to grab a coffee, or be so busy chatting with their internet boyfriend that they let the tank die.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

ponzicar posted:

Human players vs mercs

Oh yes, I will almost always take a human over a merc unless I know that player to be a complete knobhead. I know that 3-boxing is very popular because it allows you to have a full group by yourself and that some people don't want to group with other people, but server populations are just too low today, outside of the very big, close-knit raiding guilds, to work as it used to, and I think that the EQ gods know that.

Now, back anywhere close to the "glory days", that would have been a horrid idea indeed. Also, EQ doesn't rely on instancing, so allowing cross-server pick-up groups in instanced dungeons like WoW does isn't a possiblity either (without a massive game revamp that will never happen).

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I would kill to have a real tank to group with, we can do a lot with a merc, but we have to pull one at a time, and have to be careful about adds since the Mercs are really bad obviously about picking them up, and also theres often a delay with them picking up mobs off the puller who ends up going down every once in a while when we are doing T2 zones.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Setting the merc to "call assist" works if you don't mind having another button to press.

They did have, for one expansion, good instanced group content, and it was a lot of fun. Lost Dungeons of Norrath. Easy to find groups, great exp, decent loot, and it was a dungeon crawl instead of a camp. Then they raised the level caps, didn't raise the LDoN levels, and made no future expansions like it. So it was back to camping.

cycomatix
Apr 23, 2008
Fun Shoe
Grouping with players gives an experience bonus as well. Basically, if you group with other players, the experience you gain is split between you, but the total exp the encounter will give will go up by 20% per player in the group. The split is also the same for 5 players as it is for 6, so the sixth player actually just adds a 20% bonus to the exp gained.

Mercenaries on the other hand act as a player on taking the split of the experience, but do not grant the 20% bonus when added to the group. From the purely mechanical standpoint, having players in your group is better, but I'd rather take the exp hit and gain something than going back to the days where we'd stand around for hours waiting for some random cleric to throw up his afk tag.

Players are also immune to the mercenaries' arch nemesis, the sloped terrain.

Edit: Oh yeah, and tanks are a pain in the rear end to get going as a player, so unfortunately the merc tanks just kick player tanks' rear end for quite a while.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
Mercs seem like a bandaid in a lot of ways, but the wound they cover is nasty enough that I would never suggest changing them. Especially 20 expansions in with a supremely top-heavy population.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
I think I may dig out my ranger and mage for another kick of the tires on Luclin, hope some people are still around! Kinda wanna do the 2.0 for my Paladin this time.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

D C posted:

I would kill to have a real tank to group with, we can do a lot with a merc, but we have to pull one at a time, and have to be careful about adds since the Mercs are really bad obviously about picking them up, and also theres often a delay with them picking up mobs off the puller who ends up going down every once in a while when we are doing T2 zones.

I agree. One thing that my SK does infinitely better than a merc is corral multiple mobs. Plus, due to AA investment, gear and so on he has to be as hard (tough) as a level 80 J4 merc at least, and possibly even a J5. I have no experience with this myself having only ever played with silver accounts, but my SK with full self-buffs and buffs from his silver cleric merc has something around 4444 AC and 35.7k hit points when using sword & board. He has max Combat Stability and Agility for his level as well For an 80, I think that that is pretty drat sturdy.

quote:

Kinda wanna do the 2.0 for my Paladin this time.

Just hearing you mention this gave me a twinge of sadness. I had a 65 erudite paladin with his 1.0 that I was unable to recover when I started back up this summer. I was very attached to him and very heartbroken when I couldn't hunt him back up. I started an SK to be my tank largely because I just couldn't bring myself to "replace" him with another paladin. Doing his 1.0 nearly drove me proper mad. After many, many months, I finally got the books from Kunark dragons and myself and some mates went to fight Miragul in EverFrost. While we were there, our healer went LD about 1/4 of the way through the fight and we ended up wiping, which meant that I lost the Book of Scale and had to get the two component books all over again. That took nearly another year. I eventually did it, but I literally used to have nightmares about it.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

JustJeff88 posted:

I agree. One thing that my SK does infinitely better than a merc is corral multiple mobs. Plus, due to AA investment, gear and so on he has to be as hard (tough) as a level 80 J4 merc at least, and possibly even a J5. I have no experience with this myself having only ever played with silver accounts, but my SK with full self-buffs and buffs from his silver cleric merc has something around 4444 AC and 35.7k hit points when using sword & board. He has max Combat Stability and Agility for his level as well For an 80, I think that that is pretty drat sturdy.

Probably lots. We were camping a SK weapon in ROF Xorbb and besides him not having the single target aggro, we had a lvl 92 paladin tanking for us, not discernibly worse then the lvl 100 j5 Merc.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

JustJeff88 posted:

Just hearing you mention this gave me a twinge of sadness. I had a 65 erudite paladin with his 1.0 that I was unable to recover when I started back up this summer. I was very attached to him and very heartbroken when I couldn't hunt him back up. I started an SK to be my tank largely because I just couldn't bring myself to "replace" him with another paladin. Doing his 1.0 nearly drove me proper mad. After many, many months, I finally got the books from Kunark dragons and myself and some mates went to fight Miragul in EverFrost. While we were there, our healer went LD about 1/4 of the way through the fight and we ended up wiping, which meant that I lost the Book of Scale and had to get the two component books all over again. That took nearly another year. I eventually did it, but I literally used to have nightmares about it.
Dude, start another Paladin to honor and revenge your old Pally. :)

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

FWIW merc tanks get a stupidly large boost in power at 91 for some reason. My SK geared to the teeth with 4k AA was definitely a better tank, but honestly not by as much as I'd have expected when pulling just one at a time. They're pretty drat beefy.

Edit - do any of you Ascending Fearboners play GW2? I just bought it 6 months late and I'd be down for playing with my broz :dong:

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 30, 2012

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
So is there a reason that my mercs don't seem to be reacting to aggro / damage sometimes? I'm running SK / Shaman / Bard (level 54), with 2 tank mercs and a healer merc. I have one of the tanks' role set to tank, and my SK is main assist. The tank mercs are set to aggressive, and the healer to efficient.

When I pull 3-4 mobs, the tank does not really do much to pick up all the aggro from the adds, and the healer doesn't make any effort to top off the bard / shaman with HoTs (who often drop to 70% or so, and naturally regen up with the bard song), but will reliably top up the SK. It's not really putting things in danger right now, but if the pulls were a little tougher it might.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Try putting the healer to balanced. As for the tank merc, is one of your characters marked as a puller?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

ponzicar posted:

Try putting the healer to balanced. As for the tank merc, is one of your characters marked as a puller?

I'll try balanced - I assumed that wasn't it since it reacted so much more strongly to my SK.

And no, no one is marked as puller. Now that I think about it, I might be comparing my tank merc's actions right now to the mid-60s merc I was used to - which might have some additional snap aggro tools.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I feel like a right moron for posting this, but I read the post just recently about how experience is divided and how there is a bonus for having PCs in the group but not for mercs (to encourage playing with real people, obviously). However, I have a follow-up question:

I am taking advantage of the 3-day Double Experience event (and my backstock of experience potions) to get my wizard to 80 (just hit 79) and get AA for some of my older characters. Right now I have my druid, wizard, SK, and bard in the same group (no mercs). However, my druid is about to hit the AA cap (Silver accounts). My question is this: Should I leave my druid in the group after he hits his cap or boot him? Please note that I am not expanding his cap anymore (via Station Cash) until my other toons catch up and I am not intersted in leveling at this time.

The reason I ask is that people have said in this thread several times that there is a 20% experience bonus for each human player, so I am not sure how to interpret the numbers. In a group of 4, it stands to reason that each character gets 25% of the incoming experience. However, in a 3-man group each character would get 33.33% of the experience, which is a fair slice more, However, if there is a bonus for each human player, then could it be that I would get more experience from having another PC in the group?

My SK really does all the work in the group and, with my druid about to get to a point where I will no longer want to get him experience of any sort, am I better off having him in the group or not? He doesn't add anything in terms of experience-earning efficiency, so losing him won't slow me down in any way.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

JustJeff88 posted:

I feel like a right moron for posting this, but I read the post just recently about how experience is divided and how there is a bonus for having PCs in the group but not for mercs (to encourage playing with real people, obviously). However, I have a follow-up question:

I am taking advantage of the 3-day Double Experience event (and my backstock of experience potions) to get my wizard to 80 (just hit 79) and get AA for some of my older characters. Right now I have my druid, wizard, SK, and bard in the same group (no mercs). However, my druid is about to hit the AA cap (Silver accounts). My question is this: Should I leave my druid in the group after he hits his cap or boot him? Please note that I am not expanding his cap anymore (via Station Cash) until my other toons catch up and I am not intersted in leveling at this time.

The reason I ask is that people have said in this thread several times that there is a 20% experience bonus for each human player, so I am not sure how to interpret the numbers. In a group of 4, it stands to reason that each character gets 25% of the incoming experience. However, in a 3-man group each character would get 33.33% of the experience, which is a fair slice more, However, if there is a bonus for each human player, then could it be that I would get more experience from having another PC in the group?

My SK really does all the work in the group and, with my druid about to get to a point where I will no longer want to get him experience of any sort, am I better off having him in the group or not? He doesn't add anything in terms of experience-earning efficiency, so losing him won't slow me down in any way.

See the breakdown on how experience is divided here (I assume this is correct - except that for Group Bonus, you would not count mercs)

http://strategywiki.org/wiki/EverQuest/Frequently_Asked_Questions#Experience_calculation

I was curious about this same question earlier, so I ran these numbers to calculate how the experience changes (assumes base of 100 arbitrary xp units for the kill)

1 PC, 100 xp, 100 xp per member
2 PC, 120 xp, 60 xp per member
3 PC, 140 xp, 46.7 xp per member
4 PC, 160 xp, 40 xp per member
5 PC, 180 xp, 36 xp per member
6 PC, 216 xp, 36 xp per member

But if you have 3 PC and 3 mercs, you would take the 3 PC 140 xp, and split it 6 ways for 23.3 each.

w1ntermute
Jan 6, 2005
A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous, got me?

JustJeff88 posted:

Just got mine today on Test server, because I am a glutton for punishment. I stopped playing my mage years ago, and kept him around at level 60 ever since that was the cap. Still a feel good story!

cycomatix
Apr 23, 2008
Fun Shoe

Devor posted:

See the breakdown on how experience is divided here (I assume this is correct - except that for Group Bonus, you would not count mercs)

http://strategywiki.org/wiki/EverQuest/Frequently_Asked_Questions#Experience_calculation

I was curious about this same question earlier, so I ran these numbers to calculate how the experience changes (assumes base of 100 arbitrary xp units for the kill)

1 PC, 100 xp, 100 xp per member
2 PC, 120 xp, 60 xp per member
3 PC, 140 xp, 46.7 xp per member
4 PC, 160 xp, 40 xp per member
5 PC, 180 xp, 36 xp per member
6 PC, 216 xp, 36 xp per member

But if you have 3 PC and 3 mercs, you would take the 3 PC 140 xp, and split it 6 ways for 23.3 each.

This is correct, except for the sixth PC, which counts as a free slot. So for that calculation, you would divide the 216 exp by 5 instead of 6 players, which would calculate to 43.2 xp per member.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

cycomatix posted:

This is correct, except for the sixth PC, which counts as a free slot. So for that calculation, you would divide the 216 exp by 5 instead of 6 players, which would calculate to 43.2 xp per member.

Where'd you get that from? It sounds like you're double-counting the extra bonus that that sixth slot gets - you'll notice that the xp per member stays the same from 5 to 6 under the method I posted. I would call that sixth slot free. The way you phrased it sounds weird.

Edit: in your case a member of a 6-man group would earn more xp for one kill than a 4-man group. Don't think that's right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cycomatix
Apr 23, 2008
Fun Shoe
Sorry, I misread the post and checked your link, and it looks like in their formula already accounts for the sixth party member bonus, so you are indeed correct.

Edit: Also, hunting snow bunnies at level 97 in the new RoF Eastern Waste zone blows.