Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

ConanThe3rd posted:

Apparently Gurren Lagann is getting a BR release in Japan at the end of June, for ¥ 63,000.

£500 for an upresed show.

Shine on, Japan, you Crazy Diamond.

.02 seconds of nude Yoko and they will sell like hotcakes, that sadly is how the industry works these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

.02 seconds of nude Yoko and they will sell like hotcakes, that sadly is how the industry works these days.

Tell me that's a hyperbolic example. Please.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I imagine it will get at least an okay amount of sales because it's not like they're gonna be upfront about how it's an upscale.

(And it will probably look a little bit better than the DVDs so there's always that)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

ConanThe3rd posted:

Apparently Gurren Lagann is getting a BR release in Japan at the end of June, for ¥ 63,000.

£500 for an upresed show.

Shine on, Japan, you Crazy Diamond.

I love the show, but that's too insane.

I would honestly pay over $100 if they could redraw the animation or something and have it in full HD.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Too bad the only people you'd want re-touching that show with a 10 foot pole all went off to make an infinitely better anime studio so they wouldn't be the ones getting to fix it up for us.

Unless you really want the guys animating Medaka Box right now to do things to TTGL, in which case I don't really know what to tell you

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Found a copy of the gunbuster movie for :10bux: today, anyone else have it that can comment on the quality? I haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Paper Lion posted:

Too bad the only people you'd want re-touching that show with a 10 foot pole all went off to make an infinitely better anime studio so they wouldn't be the ones getting to fix it up for us.

Unless you really want the guys animating Medaka Box right now to do things to TTGL, in which case I don't really know what to tell you

The fact they didn't use Medaka Box to slap Shueisha right in the eyes for the utter bullshit they pull with Jump speaks volumes of Gainax these days.

So yeah, no. I really don't want Ganaix of 2013 going anywhere near TTGL except for giving the masters over to whatever Jhon Doe Media company they use for upressing.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Other than the fact that one is DVD/Blu combo and the other is Blu only, are these two Eden of the East sets identical?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Hatter106 posted:

Other than the fact that one is DVD/Blu combo and the other is Blu only, are these two Eden of the East sets identical?

Yes. The first one (the combo pack) came out after the movies, which they made combo packs only (IRRC). Someone decided it wasn't uniform enough with the movies, and the series has been re-released in a combo pack only.

I prefer the art of the second one, but there shouldn't be a difference quality wise, unless you'd like to have the dvds too.

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something that could never destroy us.
Turns out the Gurren Lagann BD set IS being "re-filmed" in HD and will include both of the movies and the Parallel Works. It will also include English subs for the series & movies and the English dub for the series.

~$721 is still ridiculous.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-01-04/retailers-list-gurren-lagann-bd-box-with-english-sub/dub-in-japan

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mr. Stay-Puft posted:

Turns out the Gurren Lagann BD set IS being "re-filmed" in HD and will include both of the movies and the Parallel Works. It will also include English subs for the series & movies and the English dub for the series.

~$721 is still ridiculous.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-01-04/retailers-list-gurren-lagann-bd-box-with-english-sub/dub-in-japan

I might pay a tenth that. Lotsa luck, Japan.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
How do you "re-film" a series that was digitally animated?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

AzraelNewtype posted:

128-bit color. :v:

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

AzraelNewtype posted:

$700 cam footage from a theater.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

AzraelNewtype posted:

File > Save As > 1080p

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

socialsecurity posted:

$700 cam footage from a theater.

This would be hilarious at least.

sinky posted:

File > Save As > 1080p

See, I don't think it's as simple as an upscale, because they wouldn't bother saying they're refilming for that. It's not like Japan isn't putting out almost as many poo poo awful upscales of digital SD content as we are (actually, I think their track record is worse in that Funi isn't as incompetent as Q-TEC, so when the upscale is done locally it's usually just regular bad not special wtf).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Obviously they're printing the digital frames onto actual cell and re-filmimg the old fashioned way, which would pretty much be the only justifiable reason for charging 700 loving dollars for it.

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something that could never destroy us.
Good news! Maison Ikkoku, Urusei Yatsura, and Ranma 1/2 are coming to Blu-ray!

Bad news! $880, $1814, and $1484 respectively.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/list_from_code_banner.html?key=207525

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Holy gently caress, Ranma was my gateway anime/manga. That's awesome but jesus that price.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Yeah the price is insane and indefensible to normal people with normal wallets, but to play devils advocate it's not unprecedented. Even if that's only just the 143 episodes from Nettohen that still works out to around 10 bucks per episode, which seems to be about the standard pricing for home media. Hell, even here a 3 episode dvd tends to run like 30 bucks at brick and mortar stores.

But still that is insane and gently caress anime production and gently caress japanese businessmen

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Mr. Stay-Puft posted:

Haha, this is exactly why I love it when you hear about media production companies and distributors complaining about piracy. Seriously, these guys wonder why more and more people choose not to pay for the stuff they release, then release products that cost over $1000. Every time I think to myself how expensive UK releases are, I only have to check the equivalent Japanese release and remember that we at least don't have to put up with THAT bullshit.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
Maybe it's just crazy for the limited release and it'll get better after...?

I just want cleaned up Ranma. :(

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Mr. Stay-Puft posted:

gently caress you, Japan, gently caress you. :japan:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Skychrono posted:

Maybe it's just crazy for the limited release and it'll get better after...?

I just want cleaned up Ranma. :(

I want to say on average Japan prices are 3x ours.

So Ranma is probably closer to $400-500 bucks if it ever does come out here. Kind of easier to swallow when you realize this is about 7 seasons. Then Amazon is probably going to discount it to $250 bucks or so.

But that's if we even get it at all. Might as well gamble on a routlette.

But yeah, just watch them release it only in entire series packs.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
So, it's probably not the best way to go about shopping for movies, but I got bored and was browsing some random things on Amazon and apparently Giant Robo got a complete Blu-Ray release in a neat package with an (art?) booklet and complete OST collection! It's around $500... but at least it comes with the complete soundtrack for every episode :shobon:

I have rewatched Giant Robo at least a total of seven times and it will always be amazing to me. It already looked absolutely stunning with meticulous detail to the environments. You could see single roof tiles collapse and fall out of place and see tiny pieces of metallic scraps and screws amidst the flames of exploding robots. It had incredible sound work, too. The soundtrack is one of the best I have ever heard, using booming, grand requiems and tragic operatic pieces. Hell, with surround sound Robo's footsteps alone sent shivvers down my spine. I cannot imagine what it would be like to watch it with even higher quality. I really can't justify paying over $200 for something like this, but I can however recommend the DVD version to anyone. It really is an impressive work and is one of my favorites.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Good news!

NISA licensed Hanasaku Iroha and the first set will be released here in April! NISA Blu-Ray's are great, and I can't wait to purchase it.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Maybe this would be a good place to ask. For shows like Steins;Gate, does Funimation traditionally release an 'actually complete' complete series blu-ray box set down the line? I really would like to own the show, and what I've seen of the dub has me extremely excited to see that, but I have a hard time swallowing $40+ for half of a show. I know we've come a long way on pricing, shows used to be $20 for like 4 episodes on DVD, but $40-50 for what ultimately amounts to just half of the show is still a bit silly to me.

I can understand it for shows that have multiple seasons, where episode 12 or 13 is a stopping point, but I just do not understand it for shows like Steins;Gate. Who is actually going to buy only half of the show?

The tl;dr is, will they eventually release a complete collection with episodes 1-25 all in one box for a sub-$60 price point? I really am not feeling the half-boxes with superfluous DVDs in them.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jan 12, 2013

OZC
Jan 28, 2008
It varies, but there are a couple of ways they might do it. Usually they will do a complete series set after a while (anywhere from 6-9 months after the final volume I'd say), though whether the price is below the $60 price would probably depend on the price of the individual sets as well. Still, there are Amazon and TRSI sales that could easily bring it into your price range. After that, there could also be an Anime Classics or S.A.V.E. re-release, which are both kind of budget re-releases, though S.A.V.E. is known for having a huge, ugly neon green banner across the spine, though often these are reversible so you can sort of hide it.

One thing to note is that if you don't want the DVDs, you would probably have to wait for the Anime Classics/S.A.V.E. releases as prior to that, they generally don't remove the DVDs from the set.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
The ESCAFLOWNE Blu-ray box set has been out for a year and I still haven't seen any screencaps! Anyone find some?

OZC
Jan 28, 2008
http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?5470-Escaflowne-(TV)-BD-Box&p=78530&viewfull=1#post78530

Fandom Post almost always ends up with screencaps or screencaps + DVD comparisons.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I've defended Aniplex in the past, but whelp. They just announced they're releasing a BD set here for that dumb OreImo show here. It's available on DVD for 45$, how much do they want for the Blu-Ray set?

$280. Because it's an import, you see! I think it's safe to say we're hosed on ever seeing Fate/Zero or Garden of Sinners here on BD at a non-insane price.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

The Black Stones posted:

I've defended Aniplex in the past, but whelp. They just announced they're releasing a BD set here for that dumb OreImo show here. It's available on DVD for 45$, how much do they want for the Blu-Ray set?

$280. Because it's an import, you see! I think it's safe to say we're hosed on ever seeing Fate/Zero or Garden of Sinners here on BD at a non-insane price.

I guess I can sorta understand why people defend it. It's true that it IS an import of a product that is priced at that price in Japan, and these sets sometimes come with poo poo that some people really want (body pillow cases, 'used' panties :gonk: etc). Most sane folks just want the loving show though, and the only reason the prices are this high is because they have no interest in actually expanding the market. That requires these japanese companies to consider stepping outside of this really bizarre comfort zone where they KNOW they can take advantage of literal 40 year old virgins who DO want to spend (and CAN spend) $280 to $1800 dollars regularly for their cartoons. Those people are fooled into believing they're getting something of value consistently for those prices, and that market is large enough that the companies see no need (and have no desire) to expand or accommodate anyone who doesn't fall into the "Not Rich/Stupid" category of fan.

Meanwhile, Funimation continues to be shockingly reasonable by comparison. I'm incredibly happy with my Blu-Rays of Panty and Stocking, Black Lagoon, FMA Brotherhood, Darker Than Black, and Hellsing Ultimate. About the only thing I'd love for them to do is ditch DVDs altogether (in the vain hopes that this will help them lower prices a little more), but at least I can say I've picked up those shows altogether for CONSIDERABLY LESS than what Aniplex was originally asking for KnK or Fate/Zero.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Well, I got it when it was stuff like Garden of Sinners, and Fate/Zero. It's day and date release with the JP version and you're getting all those bells and whistles. Now though? It's a 2 year old where you can get the DVD's for $45(I think? Maybe a tiny bit more) and there's no visible reason why they can't just license for a domestic BD release as reverse import fears should be pretty much dead. Maybe Aniplex might prove me wrong, but I think this pretty much seals the fate on Fate/Zero and Garden of Sinners getting a domestic BD release because they can just charge for imports. I at least figured that after a year or 2 they would be able to do a domestic release no problem with reverse importation fears gone, but this is new evidence that they're not unwilling to just let the BD Import stand as is.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

The Black Stones posted:

Well, that kinda destroys any hope I had for SAO.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

ConanThe3rd posted:

Well, that kinda destroys any hope I had for SAO.

Nah, I wouldn't rule that out just yet. Aniplex has only done this for Type-Moon and "Otaku" shows. I'd expect that SAO will probably get a "higher than normal, but not insane pricing" that they've done for stuff like Durarara and Madoka.

We'll see though.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

A commercial for the first Urusei Yatsura bluray box is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdonUBqN1X0

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
If I have no interest in 2.0, is there any point in picking up the Ghost in the Shell 2.0 Blu ray? I've heard varying accounts about the quality of the original version that also comes on the disc. Is it just a regular/bad upscale?

OZC
Jan 28, 2008
As I recall, it was upscaled from a Laserdisc copy of the movie. The Japanese BD wasn't the greatest, but it's MUCH better than the one included on the 2.0 disc. High-Def Digest was pretty much right on the money when they said "The film is loaded with aliasing, hardcore artifacting and macroblocking, though, so it is somewhat a painful watch."

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

OZC posted:

As I recall, it was upscaled from a Laserdisc copy of the movie. The Japanese BD wasn't the greatest, but it's MUCH better than the one included on the 2.0 disc. High-Def Digest was pretty much right on the money when they said "The film is loaded with aliasing, hardcore artifacting and macroblocking, though, so it is somewhat a painful watch."

That's really unfortunate because to me 2.0 is a minor atrocity in its own right.

That quote makes it sound like the included original is even inferior to a DVD copy. Browsing Amazon, it doesn't look like there were any DVD remasters released in the West outside of the original shody Manga release. And I don't think the DVD version of 2.0 is bundled with "1.0" either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Rinkles posted:

If I have no interest in 2.0, is there any point in picking up the Ghost in the Shell 2.0 Blu ray? I've heard varying accounts about the quality of the original version that also comes on the disc. Is it just a regular/bad upscale?

Nope. The original's quality is pretty much on par with DVD, if not worse at points from what I remember. It'd be nice to get the original movie straight up on Blu-Ray because the CG added to 2.0 looks like poo poo and I just want the original at this point.

• Locked thread