Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

Pope Guilty posted:

Not so much where do I start, but where do I go?

I mostly listen to punk and industrial, but there's some metal that I like, and I'd like to hear more. Albums I've heard and liked so far:

Six Feet Under, Haunted
Obituary, World Demise
Sepultura, Beneath the Remains and some of Chaos A.D.
Fear Factory, Demanufacture
Dethklok, The Dethalbum (shut up, I know)

Based on that, any other bands I should check out?

Skeletonwitch - Beyond the Permafrost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Blast Fantasto posted:

Billy Bragg? I only know a few songs but I like them all.

"Back To Basics" is a good compilation of his early work, or you could just go for "Brewing Up With.." and "Talking With The Taxman About Poetry".

If you like Woody Guthrie then both volumes of "Mermaid Avenue" would be good choices, as they're Billy Bragg and Wilco writing music to unused Guthrie lyrics.

I haven't listened to a new Billy Bragg album since "England, Half English", which was... not good, so for anything beyond 2003-ish your guess is as good as mine!

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
While I'm here, where should I start with Giant Sand?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Pope Guilty posted:

I mostly listen to punk and industrial, but there's some metal that I like, and I'd like to hear more. Albums I've heard and liked so far:

Six Feet Under, Haunted
Obituary, World Demise

Give Gojira a try.

Speaking of metal, where should I start with Death? I've listened to Leprosy in full and was quite impressed. But which is their "quintessential" album?

EDIT: English is hard

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 17, 2012

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It's really hard to pick one. The Sound of Perseverance is my favorite, but it's by no means the only essential album.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

6EQUJ5 posted:

While I'm here, where should I start with Giant Sand?

That is a tough one, given that it's approaching a 30-album catalogue. You could start at the beginning, but I'll suggest that you skip ahead to the late 80s/early 90s and check out The Love Songs, Long Stem Rant, Swerve and/or Center of the Universe. If you can only do one, start with Love Songs (although, I have to put a word in for this year's fantastic Tucson, put out under the name Giant Giant Sand).

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Wyatt posted:

That is a tough one, given that it's approaching a 30-album catalogue. You could start at the beginning, but I'll suggest that you skip ahead to the late 80s/early 90s and check out The Love Songs, Long Stem Rant, Swerve and/or Center of the Universe. If you can only do one, start with Love Songs (although, I have to put a word in for this year's fantastic Tucson, put out under the name Giant Giant Sand).

Yeah I was slightly daunted by the size of their discography, so thank you very much for the advice!

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

Six Feet Under, Haunted
Obituary, World Demise

Try some of these:

Death - Human. (I recommend avoiding the recent remastered version, at least at first)
Deicide - Legion. The Classic.
Amon Amarth - most of their albums sound the same, but I would recommend The Avenger. Melodic death metal, lots of viking warrior stuff
Slayer - Decade of Aggression is a live album that will let you sample a lot of the good poo poo
Cannibal Corpse - The Bleeding
Morbid Angel - Domination. This album gets a lot of hate but I like it and think you will too based on the albums you listed
In Flames - The Jester Race. Kind of a longshot but you will be able to tell if you like Swedish melodic death metal or not
Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane. Yup

See what you like from there and then ask in the Metal thread. You might be mocked for Dethklok and Six Feet Under but liking Beneath the Remains will give you all the internet metal cred you need to get some good recommendations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ultrafilter posted:

It's really hard to pick one.

Symbolic is my favourite.

After a point, Human maybe? They just were all really good albums and it comes down to personal preference.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

caiman posted:

Give Gojira a try.

Speaking of metal, where should I start with Death? I've listened to Leprosy in full and was quite impressed. But which is their "quintessential" album?

EDIT: English is hard

Live in LA / Eindhoven beyond all doubt.

Pogobubba
Jan 3, 2010
Where should I start with Secret Chiefs 3? I really like parts of Estradasphere's catalogue, namely Buck Fever, Quadropus, and It's Understood, and love everything Mr. Bungle ever did if that helps.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!
How about Robyn Hitchcock?

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Have you listened to The Soft Boys yet? Start there and only get the stuff from the 80s. If you have, I like I Often Dream Of Trains and Element Of Light (w/the Egyptians) the best.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

HateTheInternet posted:

How about Robyn Hitchcock?

Or alternatively to dailydares fine ideas you can hit up the couple of poppier/hit song(?) albums like Groovy Decoy, Respect or Perspex Island. Personally I started from the way weird end with his solo works Invisible Hitchcock and Eye and was hooked, so your mileage will definitely vary. And finally since you're already drowning in choices of the latter day material I really like Jewels For Sofia and then Olé! Tarantula when he started with the Venus 3 (R.E.M.'s Peter Buck, Young Fresh Fellows' Scott McCaughey, and Ministry's Bill Rieflin).

The upside of Robyn is it's really hard to go wrong since almost everything he puts out has his really unique sound and poetic/insane lyricism. The downside as you may have noticed is that he is ridiculously prolific and it can start to blend together if you don't take time to savor it.

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society
I enjoyed what Ryan Adams did on Whiskeytown's Strangers Almanac CD, but where would I start with his solo career?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

NRBQ? I love Scraps, but that's the only album I've listened to.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

That Guy From Pearldiver posted:

I enjoyed what Ryan Adams did on Whiskeytown's Strangers Almanac CD, but where would I start with his solo career?

Have you listened to the other Whiskeytown albums? My favourite is Faithless Street.

Anyway, back to your actual question, you won't go too far wrong by tackling his solo albums in chronological order, "Heartbreaker" follows on quite nicely from the Whiskeytown stuff. After you've listened to "Gold" make sure you find the bootleg "48 Hours" as it's considered to be a companion album. Also don't let the poor reviews put you off "Demolition". Yes, it's a collection of demos as the title implies, but there are some really good demos on there.

Adams is pretty prolific, so if you decided that you wanted to root around for bootlegs you'll find there are lots and that they tend to be pretty good (for bootlegs, obviously).

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

To expand on what 6EQUJ5 said, 'Heartbreaker' is a good approximation of Strangers Almanac, as is 'Ashes & Fire'.
'Jacksonville City Nights' is a bit more honkey-tonk and '29' is a bit more singer-songwriter-y, while 'Easy Tiger', 'Cardinology' & 'Cold Roses' are more country rock.

'Gold', 'Love Is Hell' & 'III/IV' are good albums in their own right, but you might want to look at them a bit later on. 'Rock N Roll' is best ignored unless you're desperate for more stuff.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

gently caress the police, I say "Orion" and I'm not going to lie about it. It's utterly not what you're expecting, but gently caress it. Voivod-inspired bizarro-metal from Ryan Adams? Yes, please.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
What Sonic Youth album should I get?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Thoogsby posted:

I came here to ask similar - I've got Daydream Nation, what next? Found this:

Rat Salad posted:

Dirty, then Goo, then Daydream Nation then EVOL. In order of accessibility, I guess.

JnnyThndrs posted:

I divide Sonic Youth into three periods - the self-titled EP through Sister is their No-Wave influenced period, most of that stuff is pretty discordant and you'd probably have to work up to those. My favorite album from that era is EVOL.

The string of albums from Daydream Nation through Washing Machine is their most commercial-sounding and popular period, I adore Goo, but Washing Machine contains possibly their best song ever, The Diamond Sea. Dirty is another excellent album, as is Daydream Nation. You really can't go wrong with anything from this timeframe.

The later albums, A Thousand Leaves through Sonic Nurse are a mixed bunch - a ton of softer songs and gentler noodling. None of it is bad, but there's less songcraft here, IMHO. Their newest studio work Rather Ripped is sort of a return to the Goo era - shorter, more concise songs with obvious melodies, I liked it a lot.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'd say go for EVOL. That was the first Sonic Youth album I ever heard, and I instantly fell in love with it. I heard Daydream Nation a few months later and loved it even more, but nothing else that Sonic Youth has done has seemed as awesome as those two albums to me.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

I went with Sister. Did I gently caress up?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I dunno, I'm going to give EVOL a shot.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Thoogsby posted:

Depends on how much noise you like. Their first albums through Daydream Nation really embrace the noise rock, no wave scene. Daydream is when their music starts to get more accessible for most people. Any songs you may have heard from Sonic Youth on the radio or in a soundtrack were probably from one of the albums between Daydream and Washing Machine. These are my favorite albums along with Rather Ripped which came out after a string of albums that I don't really have an opinion on as I haven't listened to them in years.

Fake Edit: Whoops took too long to reply.

Thoogsby posted:

I went with Sister. Did I gently caress up?

If you like noise rock and nontraditional songwriting then no. If you prefer more traditional pop songs then you probably should have gone with one of the early 90s albums. Just remember if you don't like Sister you may still like one of their other albums.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Thoogsby posted:

I say Goo. It's one of their most accessible albums and kind of runs the gamut on many of their different sounds in bite-sized packages.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
that post about the three eras is a good one, and Sister is a good album but I wouldn't use it to highlight any of those three eras of the band's work because it falls right in between the two best Sonic Youth albums and is odd because of that.

Early period: Bad Moon Rising/EVOL, or if you REALLY want try Confusion is Sex/Kill Yr Idols for their harshest sound.

Middle Period (excepting Daydream Nation): Washing Machine, Goo

Late Period: Murray Street, Rather Ripped

edit: many people have an opinion on this

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I like that no one ever suggests NYC Ghosts & Flowers.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
you know what though? it's not a bad album.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

I liked Sister, not really something I'd throw on again soon but definitely some parts that made me want to try some more Sonic Youth. Gonna try Goo next.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
The best Sonic Youth album is Today's Active Lifestyles by Polvo.

PlatinumJukebox
Nov 14, 2011

Uh oh, I think someone just told Hunter what game he's in.
e: gently caress it

PlatinumJukebox fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jan 10, 2013

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

big business sloth posted:

you know what though? it's not a bad album.
You mean it's not a 0.0?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Any suggestions for where to start with Super Furry Animals? Should I just go for the Songbook compilation?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I would start with Rings Around the World or Phantom Power to catch them in what I thought was the peak of their sound. Both those albums have some superb pop influences turned inside out. Their other later albums were hit or miss for me, but I think Dark Days/Light Years is a fairly solid album and Love Kraft is front loaded with some stellar tracks. To go backwards into their discography, Radiator is a great early effort and Mwng is interesting for an album recorded entirely in Welsh.

While on the subject, anyone know what's up with those guys? Gryff does solo stuff, but another SFA record would be totally welcome.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

TyChan posted:

Any suggestions for where to start with Super Furry Animals? Should I just go for the Songbook compilation?

I wouldn't go with Songbook as it came out before their most recent 3 albums and it focuses too much on the first 2 which aren't great in my opinion. I would start with Rings Around the World and if you dig that go for any of their albums from Guerrilla on, though you should know that Mwng is entirely in Welsh. Personally Rings Around the World, Phantom Power and Hey Venus! are my favorite albums.

Frost Uncle
Nov 2, 2012
Where do I start with Hank Williams?

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Farts Domino posted:

You mean it's not a 0.0?

has there ever been a p4k 0 review that really earned it?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Frost Uncle posted:

Where do I start with Hank Williams?

Hank's best work was done in the pre-LP era, so you're best served by finding a really good compilation and starting from there.

If you're going from Spotify, "Gold" and "Turn Back the Years" have all the essential Hank songs.

EDIT:

To make that more clear, if you're actually buying a CD, go with something like "Gold" which is affordable and relatively concise.

If you have Spotify, load up "Turn Back the Years", hit shuffle and sit on your porch for two hours smoking and just drinking it in.

Blast Fantasto fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 15, 2013

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Where do I start with John Zorn? I see him referenced by so many people, but his discography is just crazy big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

6EQUJ5 posted:

Where do I start with John Zorn? I see him referenced by so many people, but his discography is just crazy big.

Anything by Masada - with a few slight exceptions everything they did was solid gold. It's a Jazz quartet they're all incredible musicians and there is enough free jazz to keep things lively. Highly highly recommended. Electric Masada is a different beast altogether, and a lot harsher on the ears so probably stay clear of that for a while unless you dig noise music (I'm not using that as a derogatory term, just that... that's what it is in spots).

Naked City is.... well. I think of it as The John Zorn album.

I really liked Filmworks: The Treatment

Where do I start with Widespread Panic?

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 17, 2013