Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.
Not sure if it has been mentioned here but Weather Underground (wunderground.com) has finally put out a weather app so you can delete that crappy weather.com one.

http://www.wunderground.com/download/index.asp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!

DivisionPost posted:

Hey, are there any apps you guys would recommend to make custom ringtones out of songs from my library?

You want this thread and you should try audiko.net

I'm looking at IRC apps and with people were having a shitfit over colloquy breaking in a recent update can anyone compare it to limechat?

I have been trying to use pocket but the email to save links method is annoying. Do any of the read it later type apps have a quick way to save things from safari?

CatelynIsAZombie fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 29, 2012

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Pan Ache posted:

I have been trying to use pocket but the email to save links method is annoying. Do any of the read it later type apps have a quick way to save things from safari?

You can use the bookmarklet. That's the way all of the read it later apps do it. It's in the help menu in Pocket.

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

:jiggled:Top Class:jiggled:

evilwaldo posted:

Not sure if it has been mentioned here but Weather Underground (wunderground.com) has finally put out a weather app so you can delete that crappy weather.com one.

The iPhone one has been out for a while and it's fantastic. The wundermap just got a big update and upgrade in the iPhone app and is fantastic to use.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Pan Ache posted:

You want this thread and you should try audiko.net

I'm looking at IRC apps and with people were having a shitfit over colloquy breaking in a recent update can anyone compare it to limechat?

Well the Colloquy update seemed to have fixed the issues I had with the previous update, for now at least. It's been fine on iPhone for me but the previous update introduced a bunch of funky bugs on iPad here...looking at Accipeter's review on the store he got them with the newest update so I don't know what's up.

As far as read later stuff I just use an Instapaper bookmarklet...there's also the built in reading list feature but I can't say I've used it much, probably cause I found it to be buggy in the past with syncing.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Palaver seems like the big new IRC app at the moment. Haven't tried it myself, since the 10 minute background connection limit that all of these IRC apps have makes them annoying to use.

I used to use Colloquy but updates/bugfixes were few and far between and when they did come out, they practically always introduced new bugs. The devs just don't give a poo poo, it seems.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

hypersleep posted:

Palaver seems like the big new IRC app at the moment. Haven't tried it myself, since the 10 minute background connection limit that all of these IRC apps have makes them annoying to use.

I used to use Colloquy but updates/bugfixes were few and far between and when they did come out, they practically always introduced new bugs. The devs just don't give a poo poo, it seems.

The page you linked says that Palaver supports ZNC for persistent connections:
http://wiki.znc.in/ZNC

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
How do you even find irc channels now? Are there any goon recommended?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

evilwaldo posted:

In addition, for those who don't use Weather Underground normally, http://m.retailmenot.com/showcoupon/1382114/ has a promo code for the next day to get a free 1 yr membership. They have released codes for this every December the past few years.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Neurophonic posted:

The page you linked says that Palaver supports ZNC for persistent connections:
http://wiki.znc.in/ZNC
Yeah bouncers make IRC on iOS apps fine for me. Colloquy on the Mac has a built in one which works alright enough, but I installed ZNC cause some of my friends wanted to use a bouncer too (and I liked how it works better than the Colloquy one). With ZNC you can set up a back buffer of x lines that fills in chat when you connect, so even if the connection dies or you haven't logged in for a while it can load enough that it's like you were always connected (well, cause the bouncer was).

Understeer
Sep 14, 2004

Now with more front end grip.

Kaizoku posted:

In addition, for those who don't use Weather Underground normally, http://m.retailmenot.com/showcoupon/1382114/ has a promo code for the next day to get a free 1 yr membership. They have released codes for this every December the past few years.

Awesome, thanks for the link!

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Kaizoku posted:

Thanks for this.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

evilwaldo posted:

I use one of the ones recommended in the OP that utilizes Dark Sky, what does this one offer me that is better?

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I use one of the ones recommended in the OP that utilizes Dark Sky, what does this one offer me that is better?

The Weather Underground is a general, full featured weather app with forecasts, radar, warnings and all that jazz. Dark Sky is specifically for alerting you just before it starts to rain.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
App Review: 645 PRO

Alright, I want to bring up camera apps again. I've been taking all the product pictures for my store with my iPhone 5. I have a $1000 DSLR setup, which would be great, except I don't have a macro lens for it and need to take fairly close up shots of small parts. Because the iPhone 5 does macro so well, I've been shooting with a small tripod, the Glif tripod adapter, Camera+ and a couple of desk lamps. The pictures have been coming out great, for the most part. The only issue was JPEG compression artifacts at high zoom levels while developing the pictures in Aperture and Pixelmator.

A few days back I found a little app called 645 PRO. This thing has all the features you'd expect from a high-end camera app: Gyroscope Level; Focus, WB and Exposure Lock; Timer; 1 Second Shutter Speed; 7 Frame Formats, 3 B&W Films, 3 Color Films, 4 Fully Adjustable Color Filters; Live Image Preview; Upload to Social Media Sites & Flickr.

It's also got a couple other amazing tricks up it's sleeve. The first is the ability to save JPEGs at MAX quality setting, which is lossless. That right there would have won me over, but there's more! It has the ability to output what the developer calls dRAW files. That D stands for Developed. Don't get too excited, the name is slightly misleading. It's not actually raw sensor data, instead it's the image data after being de-mosiaced and having the white balance, exposure and other settings applied. The image data is saved into a +TIFF file at this point and either stored in the app's Documents folder or sent to the system Camera Roll.

To understand this better, here's a few handy charts!

When you shoot with a DSLR, two things happen. First, the sensor data and settings (white balance, exposure, time & date, etc.) are saved straight to a file. This is a RAW image that will need to be "developed" in software. (Most cameras will also have an option to save a JPEG version of the image in addition to the RAW file.)

Now, on nearly all Point & Shoot and Smartphone cameras, you've got no option to get that RAW sensor data. The camera itself will process the image, apply white balance, exposure, etc., embed all the meta data, compress the image as a JPEG and save it.

So now you've got a compressed file. Remember, each time something is (lossy) compressed, a bit of the original is destroyed. When you snap a photo with your iPhone and use Snapseed or Camera+ to edit it, you're having to re-compress that file. When you edit it in iPhoto or Pixelmator on your computer and save it as a JPEG, it's being re-compressed.

This generally doesn't hurt the image quality that much, as modern digital cameras have so much resolution, you can afford to lose a little quality in the editing process. But what if you're trying to capture very fine details? What if you're going to make a large print of it? This is where 645 PRO is awesome...

It gives you the option of grabbing a not-quite-RAW-but-still-lossless image at two difference stages of the capture process.

(Lossless) MAX JPEG: These images go through normal pre-processing, tagging, adjusting and processing just like any other JPEG file, only there's no compression. You're still going to lose some quality this way since the file has had corrections automatically applied during the processing phase. You'll likely see (and have a hard time fixing) blown out highlights and overly dark shadows.

dRAW+TIFF: This is what you're really after if you want quality. These images have been pre-processed by the camera, but that's it. You're free to (easily) fix exposure, highlights, shadows and color balance. The output is an 8-Bit TIFF file that's had lossless LZW compression applied.

Now, here's the beautiful part for me. You can chose to have the files saved in-app and retrieve them through iTunes file sharing pane (or iExplorer) or they can go straight into the camera roll when shooting. The TIFF files that end up in your camera roll? Yeah, PhotoStream will sync those to your desktop unchanged.

I can't tell you how awesome it is to be able to shoot a few dozen high quality, uncompressed images with my phone and then walk over to my computer and have them magically be in Aperture waiting for me, ready to edit.

The developer seems to regularly update the app and incorporates much of the feedback he receives.

The only negative point I can think of is the interface. They're trying to make it look like an actual camera, which ends up feeling cluttered and confusing. It could really do with an interface lift and the ability to have normal menus slide-in from off screen. Considering the other features, this is only a small nit to pick and I can certainly live with it.

645 PRO is a downright steal at $2.99, so there's really no reason not to pick it up if you're serious about taking pictures with your phone. Be sure to give the manual a read to learn how to use all the bells and whistles.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Have any pictures to show?

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

HATE TROLL TIM posted:

645 PRO is a downright steal at $2.99, so there's really no reason not to pick it up if you're serious about taking pictures with your phone.
The iphone has pretty badass optics for such a small device, and the fact that you can immediately share your photos is awesome. But obsessing over how much preprocessing your images have seems to defeat the purpose to me. If I have to sync my photos to the desktop and manipulate them there, then why did I shoot on my iphone?

The best camera is the one that's with you, but if you know in advance that you're going to be shooting a lot of stuff (especially for your business) carry a better camera than the one on your phone.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I need an app to turn 5 pictures into an animated gif file. Google is leading me to terrible spammy social network bullshit. Any suggestions?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

None of that changes that the iphone basically requires full daylight and motionless subjects to get a decent image. :colbert:

Focusing on moving people is hilariously poor.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

xzzy posted:

None of that changes that the iphone basically requires full daylight and motionless subjects to get a decent image. :colbert:

Try being me with hands that shake like a crack-addled chipmunk's. Totally stationary objects in partly cloudy weather become an out of focus mess :suicide:

That said, I'm pretty impressed with the camera in my 5th gen iPod touch. I've taken some nice photos with it, and the availability of filter and touch-up apps does help mask the lens/optics' shortcomings.

Here's a photo I took with the stock Camera app and did some quick touch-up with VSCO Cam. Tap for full quality.

Nothing special but for something that's in my jacket pocket it gets the job done.

Also, for low light shots, I've found that an app called Nightcap can help to varying degrees.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

PFlats posted:

The iphone has pretty badass optics for such a small device, and the fact that you can immediately share your photos is awesome. But obsessing over how much preprocessing your images have seems to defeat the purpose to me. If I have to sync my photos to the desktop and manipulate them there, then why did I shoot on my iphone?

The best camera is the one that's with you, but if you know in advance that you're going to be shooting a lot of stuff (especially for your business) carry a better camera than the one on your phone.

The best camera *is* the one that's with you, so why wouldn't I want to make it better? Say I'm out and see an awesome sunset or come across a scene that would make an amazing picture. In these situations you're not going to be in control of lighting and other factors. If I take that picture in a lossless non-processed format then I have more control of fixing it later, either in Snapseed or on my computer. If I just want to take a quick shot of the dogs or whatever I'm obviously just going to use Camera+ or the built-in app.

As for why I'm using it to take product photos for my business? I went over that. The iPhone has a much, much closer focus distance than my DSLR. While a new macro lens would be awesome, I don't have a few hundred clams to shell out for it right now. I already have the iPhone and the tripod mount only cost me $10. The app was $3.

I just don't understand why you wouldn't want *more* options.

PaganGoatPants posted:

Have any pictures to show?

Yeah, I'll get some together in the morning and post them.

xzzy posted:

Actually, the iPhone 5 does really amazing in low-light. I've pulled off some really great shots with no flash and only a full moon for illumination. Getting an app like NightCap helps a ton as well. The 5 is also a poo poo ton better with motion. It has a much higher ISO than older ones.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HATE TROLL TIM posted:

I just don't understand why you wouldn't want *more* options.

I think this about heaps of poo poo on iOS but clearly Apple have decided that more options is less... Who are we to argue

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

HATE TROLL TIM posted:

The Weather Underground is a general, full featured weather app with forecasts, radar, warnings and all that jazz. Dark Sky is specifically for alerting you just before it starts to rain.

I'm using Check the Weather, so it does the forecast and stuff too. Would you say Weather Underground is better, or just stick with mine?

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

:jiggled:Top Class:jiggled:

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I'm using Check the Weather, so it does the forecast and stuff too. Would you say Weather Underground is better, or just stick with mine?

The app is free. Just download it and try it.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
If an app is being beta tested, how does that work? Like if my company was developing an in-house app for whatever, and having a few employees test it before the rollout. And what happens if we don't want the app going to anyone not working there, is there a system for that? These may be stupid questions but they're not common enough for me to have seen the answers yet.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Javid posted:

If an app is being beta tested, how does that work? Like if my company was developing an in-house app for whatever, and having a few employees test it before the rollout. And what happens if we don't want the app going to anyone not working there, is there a system for that? These may be stupid questions but they're not common enough for me to have seen the answers yet.

Yes, there are ways to give an app limited release so people can test it. The main one I know of is test flight:

https://testflightapp.com/

There are others out there though.

Dirty Needles
Jul 3, 2008
Anybody else having problems with Awful since the forum update? I can't view any posts, just getting 'End of Thread' at the top of a blank page.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Dirty Needles posted:

Anybody else having problems with Awful since the forum update? I can't view any posts, just getting 'End of Thread' at the top of a blank page.

The forum update broke it. Pokeyman has already submitted a fixed version to Apple.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Also, from his description it sounds like he's still on the old Awful app.

The Awful thread is here and the current app is here.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

PaganGoatPants posted:

Is there a good app for loyalty cards/membership cards? One that scans the code so I can just scan my phone (reliably).

I haven't seen a response to this post, so I'll recommend CardStar. Good app that does what you ask, and it's free.

Dirty Needles
Jul 3, 2008

Diabolik900 posted:

Also, from his description it sounds like he's still on the old Awful app.

The Awful thread is here and the current app is here.

Ah thanks! Didn't realise it had its own thread, bookmarked for future reference.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Red posted:

Here are a few apps I dig, and thought I could share...

USB Disk - There's a free version and a great paid version with many perks. It's a great way to store documents/pictures/etc. in one place for easy access and review. I usually keep a few handy things on it, like various references and directions on my work phone, or some articles to read on my personal phone.

USB Disk Pro - ATTENTION! This app is currently on sale for 99 cents! If you were on the fence about this app, now's the time to buy. It was $2.99.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

So, hey, just realized that my town uses TransLoc for their city bus system. I've been using a Safari bookmark on my iPod's homescreen for the bus I ride, and paid no attention to anything else.

Today, while waiting for the bus, I started looking around, and saw there was a link for the TransLoc app.

The reviews seem to be mixed, so I'm not sure if I should I get it, or not.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Kheldarn posted:

So, hey, just realized that my town uses TransLoc for their city bus system. I've been using a Safari bookmark on my iPod's homescreen for the bus I ride, and paid no attention to anything else.

Today, while waiting for the bus, I started looking around, and saw there was a link for the TransLoc app.

The reviews seem to be mixed, so I'm not sure if I should I get it, or not.

I can understand your apprehension to try a free application.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

benisntfunny posted:

Was going to say this too. Why in the world would you solicit opinions on whether you should download a free app? It literally takes less effort to download the loving thing and try it out.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

jojoinnit posted:

Was going to say this too. Why in the world would you solicit opinions on whether you should download a free app? It literally takes less effort to download the loving thing and try it out.

Being someone who takes the bus myself, the wrong information can be the difference from being ten minutes early to over an hour late depending upon the city. The application I was using for public transit (Route Shout) either stopped receiving information from my transit provider, or just took a big poo poo in general--but it has been inoperable for my location for over a month. Trying out the application head first can be the difference in making it to work/important date/etc, so I can understand the hesitation.

On that note, anyone else use route shout and running into issues with no bus data?

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

benisntfunny posted:

jojoinnit posted:

Bus route finders/stop predictors aren't really something you can take for a spin any given 5 minutes of the day like a note-taking or weather app and decide whether it's worth your time or not. You need a big sample size - some bus lines could be notoriously off schedule whereas others are always on the dot, and your never near more than a few stops at again given time. It's not an unreasonable question to ask due to the time it takes to find out if the app is worth future use.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

jojoinnit posted:

It's a waste of time to try out a free application and discover low quality, if someone on here can pipe up from experience and say "don't bother with it, try [this paid app]" instead. Obviously the best thing to do is to do the research yourself and see how it works, but wanting an informed opinion is hardly objectionable, I think?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Bus route finders/stop predictors aren't really something you can take for a spin any given 5 minutes of the day like a note-taking or weather app and decide whether it's worth your time or not. You need a big sample size - some bus lines could be notoriously off schedule whereas others are always on the dot, and your never near more than a few stops at again given time. It's not an unreasonable question to ask due to the time it takes to find out if the app is worth future use.

It's pretty drat easy to take it for a spin. You look up the bus time on the site and on your phone. Verify this a few times then start using it. This is how I've done it in the "dark ages" when I didn't come to SA to ask first.

But since the app is using the same service the bus system uses both times will be the same. Not a whole lot of risk involved here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Even real-time bus apps can be wrong, but that's more the fault of the bus company than it is the app maker. (I'm looking at you, First Leeds and your phantom buses).

• Locked thread