Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Did Nexplanon replace Implanon on the market or is it a competitor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
According to wikipedia they are the same thing except "Nexplanon is essentially identical to Implanon except Nexplanon has 15 mg of barium sulphate added to the core, so it is detectable by x-ray".

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Hi_Bears posted:

Ooh thanks for the explanation! I guess I always thought of my uterus as a glass jar with one opening (the vagina) and never considered that it was a part of my body where things can flow in and out through tissue and poo poo (clearly not a doctor over here). What does ovulation feel like? Even when not on BC I don't think I've ever consciously KNOWN that I was ovulating. Am I so out of touch with my body that I have no idea what's going on in there?

From what I understand, the fallopian tubes are actually somewhat open as well. Eggs come out and kind of float over from the ovaries where they're caught and "swept" into the fallopian tubes by these cilia/hair-like things at the entrance of the tubes. There's actually kind of a gap between the two.

Some women can feel a slight pain with ovulation, since the egg basically just pops through the side of the ovary. But then many don't. I personally have never felt it, I can usually only tell by how many days it's been since my period combined with changes in how I feel presumably from the hormones (also that fun fun cervical mucus.)

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

muscat_gummy posted:

If I'm going to try hormones again I'd rather try something I can stop quickly if it causes depression and/or worse migraines!
I read up more about progesterone and muscle growth and only a few types might affect it so that's not as much of a concern anymore. It's really the brain problems that have made the pill suck for me and that I'm the most worried about. :(

The reason I recommended Implanon though is because it has WAY WAY WAY less hormone than pills, so you're less likely to experience side effects or as severe ones.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

jacksbrat posted:

I'm hoping to get an implant or an IUS/IUD in the new year. However I play a contact sport and I'm worried that this might be a contraindication for these methods, especially the IUS/IUD. Does anyone have experience using these methods while playing contact sports?

As said before, it's not contraindicated. I play contact sports and got a Paragard in February. No complications. I didn't really feel like playing the week I got it or the first couple of periods after but I probably sucked it up and did it any way. Now it's not an issue. I know at least one other girl on the team has a Mirena. I'm 33, never been pregnant.

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010
Didn't seem to be covered in the OP - can oral hormonal birth control and a copper IUD be combined? Is there even any reason to do this, or is the risk of failure with a copper IUD so low that it's totally redundant?

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
A friend of mine has Paragard but takes POPs for migraine control. There is no reason for the pill for contraception if you have an IUD, though.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Tshirt Ninja posted:

Didn't seem to be covered in the OP - can oral hormonal birth control and a copper IUD be combined? Is there even any reason to do this, or is the risk of failure with a copper IUD so low that it's totally redundant?

The risk of getting pregnant with an IUD is almost as low as it can get. No reason to take unnecessary hormones.

Nother vote for someone who has a paragard and it doesn't cause me any issues. I squat my heart out in the gym. No contact sports but I wouldn't worry about that at all.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Tshirt Ninja posted:

I'm actually considering do this for acne control and period regularity reasons, there's no point in terms of birth control effectiveness though.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Tshirt Ninja posted:

From what I remember, the copper IUD has about the same failure rate statistically as sterilization so for contraception there's probably no point. I've heard of some women doing it to make their periods lighter since the IUD can make them really heavy for a while.

BigGayLogan
Feb 19, 2011

Quit moeing around like that, uguu~?
For those of you wanting to combine the pill with a copper IUD: why not just get a Mirena? It is hormonal like the pill (but a smaller dose and no estrogen) and they make your periods anywhere from significantly lighter to nonexistant.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

BigGayLogan posted:

For those of you wanting to combine the pill with a copper IUD: why not just get a Mirena? It is hormonal like the pill (but a smaller dose and no estrogen) and they make your periods anywhere from significantly lighter to nonexistant.

Mirena has a notorious side effect of causing acne. I'm already acne prone, so no. No no no.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Kerfuffle posted:

Mirena has a notorious side effect of causing acne. I'm already acne prone, so no. No no no.

Tell me about it. It's not bad enough to make me want it out, but it is bad enough for me to scream "YOU'RE loving 30 NOW ACT LIKE IT" to my skin. The oil cleansing method has helped though.

I do like the fact I haven't had a period in almost 6 months.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Geolicious posted:

Tell me about it. It's not bad enough to make me want it out, but it is bad enough for me to scream "YOU'RE loving 30 NOW ACT LIKE IT" to my skin. The oil cleansing method has helped though.

I do like the fact I haven't had a period in almost 6 months.

Ah the joys of having acne and wrinkles at the same time!

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
It's some straight up bullshit.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Kerfuffle posted:

Yeah I was this close to getting a Mirena (as some of you may remember from earlier in the thread) but I just didn't feel like gambling with possible hormonal side effects again. Plus I still get about the same amount of acne on the pill as off, so I'd rather get rid of all the other weirdo side-effects I've had while having the benefits of an IUD. Of course this whole line of posting probably doesn't apply to me since I plan on stopping the pill once I get the Paragard.

Also this may seem like a stupid thing to ask, but does anyone have any good excuses I could use about the Paragard? I'm trying to get a day off work for the day after the insertion, but my boss is a real jackass about anything "feminine" and I know he's probably going to press for details if I tell him I'm having some kind of outpatient procedure done. It may help to note I'm a minimum wage retail drone.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

NaturalLow posted:

Also this may seem like a stupid thing to ask, but does anyone have any good excuses I could use about the Paragard? I'm trying to get a day off work for the day after the insertion, but my boss is a real jackass about anything "feminine" and I know he's probably going to press for details if I tell him I'm having some kind of outpatient procedure done. It may help to note I'm a minimum wage retail drone.

It's none of his loving business what you're getting done. To ask is hugely intrusive and possibly illegal.

e: I know, I know, but life is terrible and you probably have to have SOMETHING to say. I'd go with "biopsy" because it's minor enough to be outpatient and vague enough to be either absolutely nothing or possibly death.

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 29, 2012

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

NaturalLow posted:

Yeah I was this close to getting a Mirena (as some of you may remember from earlier in the thread) but I just didn't feel like gambling with possible hormonal side effects again. Plus I still get about the same amount of acne on the pill as off, so I'd rather get rid of all the other weirdo side-effects I've had while having the benefits of an IUD. Of course this whole line of posting probably doesn't apply to me since I plan on stopping the pill once I get the Paragard.

Tell him you are going to the doctor and that's it. If he wants a note your doctor can provide a note you were there. That's it. Legally he isn't allowed to dig deeper but if you want to entertain him tell him its a biopsy, like Eggplant Wizard said. OR say you need to do a pap recheck, which happens all the drat time (at least for me) and give him all the details about how crampy you get after it.

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
Sometimes, there's a clog in the pipelines.
How concerned should I be about having two visual migraine auras since switching to Nuvaring from the Implanon? I've had them off and on for about seven years, but it's been a really long time since I've had two within a three week period.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

NewsGunkie posted:

How concerned should I be about having two visual migraine auras since switching to Nuvaring from the Implanon? I've had them off and on for about seven years, but it's been a really long time since I've had two within a three week period.

Nuvaring does have a higher concentration of hormone than Implanon so there is a good chance that the frequency of your migraines are related to the switch. You should definitely talk to your doctor about it.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

NewsGunkie posted:

Stop nuvaring immediately, call doctor. I'm surprised your doctor let you on a combined hormonal method with a history of aura migraines.

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
Will do. The office isn't open today, but Monday I'll ring them up.

gabi
Sep 10, 2008

NewsGunkie posted:

Hey, aura buddy! We're pretty much stuck with barrier or estrogen-free BC methods. Is there a specific reason you switched from Implanon?

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
My bleeding got out of control, which didn't get better with any of the methods the np attempted. I really want to try the mirena, but my cervix was too tight/stubborn.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Eggplant Wizard posted:

It's none of his loving business what you're getting done. To ask is hugely intrusive and possibly illegal.

e: I know, I know, but life is terrible and you probably have to have SOMETHING to say. I'd go with "biopsy" because it's minor enough to be outpatient and vague enough to be either absolutely nothing or possibly death.

Yeah, I know it is. We're a small store, so they're kind of lax about things they probably shouldn't be. But the guy acts like the loving place will burn down if I'm not constantly in it so I figure he'll be poking around for an explanation about why I want the extra day. I don't even know that I'll need it since cashier isn't a physically demanding job, but I'd like to have the option to just lay around the house in my PJ pants with a heating pad/ibuprofen if necessary.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I was doing office work when I had mine put in, but having the day to not have to dress or worry and sleep was a good choice.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

He's the type who tends to get suspicious when he senses you aren't telling him every little thing, probably a side-effect of having so many immature teenage employees who try to skip out on work all the time.

One more question for the IUD ladies? What kind of instructions were you given with regard to sex? I'm sure the doctor will tell me about afterwards (and I will make sure to ask), but they weren't too clear on the before. I'm assuming I should hold off on it at least a few days before the insertion, but did anyone's doctor specify? My doctor just told me not to have sex at all between the consult and the insertion until they found out no appointments were available until January. Then they switched to "use condoms every single time" and that was it really.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

NaturalLow posted:

He's the type who tends to get suspicious when he senses you aren't telling him every little thing, probably a side-effect of having so many immature teenage employees who try to skip out on work all the time.

One more question for the IUD ladies? What kind of instructions were you given with regard to sex? I'm sure the doctor will tell me about afterwards (and I will make sure to ask), but they weren't too clear on the before. I'm assuming I should hold off on it at least a few days before the insertion, but did anyone's doctor specify? My doctor just told me not to have sex at all between the consult and the insertion until they found out no appointments were available until January. Then they switched to "use condoms every single time" and that was it really.

That's weird. I wasn't told anything about before.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
My gyno told me to wait about a week before sex and tampons to give my cervix time to bounce back but two weeks if I could help it. It worked out because I didn't see my bf until a month later and I got my period two weeks later (even though I had it inserted on the first day of my "period" on placebo week).

I was told I was protected right off the bat, though, since I had to done during my period week.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

NaturalLow posted:

My doctor - who has been doing IUDs for ages - told me I could have sex the day of and that I would be protected for paragard. She also said "I doubt you'll want to have sex for at least a week though" and she was right. The appointment I had with her was actually the first and only. I made the consult for the middle of my period and once she ran the pregnancy and sti tests she just went ahead and did it.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Eggplant Wizard posted:

That's weird. I wasn't told anything about before.

I don't know, the doctor just said something about how they wanted to be absolutely sure I didn't get pregnant between the consultation and insertion. I think some of it was just how some doctors can be - even though I'm on the pill and in a steady, monogamous relationship I could tell they disapproved when said I only used condoms sometimes.

I'm not too worried about being protected, I just thought that there might some heightened risk of infection or something if I had sex really close to the appointment. But I guess I was wrong there.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I got a Mirena IUD about ten days ago and it still periodically hurts like hell and expels nasty brown something-or-other. Is this normal or should I schedule a checkup? Otherwise I'll be seeing the doctor in about two weeks' time.

e: To clarify, I had the IUD put in at the very end of my period, and by brownish stuff I mean obviously it's blood-based, but it's not like my usual. And it definitely hurts more than a normal period.

Pick fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 31, 2012

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Unless you're in agony and/or bleeding heavily, it's OK. I had plenty of cramps and brown discharge for 2 weeks until I got a period. Hell, I still get cramps.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Pick posted:

I got a Mirena IUD about ten days ago and it still periodically hurts like hell and expels nasty brown something-or-other. Is this normal or should I schedule a checkup? Otherwise I'll be seeing the doctor in about two weeks' time.

e: To clarify, I had the IUD put in at the very end of my period, and by brownish stuff I mean obviously it's blood-based, but it's not like my usual. And it definitely hurts more than a normal period.

Weird discharge is pretty normal. Do you have a heating pad? You should be fine waiting until two weeks, but you might as well call and get reassurance from your doctor.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Thanks, I figured it probably wasn't a problem, but I feel the doctor wasn't totally forthright with how persistent issues might be. I know fewer people might get IUDs if you said that they could expect chunky-style bloody discharge for a week-plus, but frankly I'd rather it weren't a surprise.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Pick posted:

Thanks, I figured it probably wasn't a problem, but I feel the doctor wasn't totally forthright with how persistent issues might be. I know fewer people might get IUDs if you said that they could expect chunky-style bloody discharge for a week-plus, but frankly I'd rather it weren't a surprise.

That's not much different from my regular period :(

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

So I went out and got a heating pad, big bottle of ibuprofen, extra package of pads (the cashier probably thought I was having the period from hell) and I'm pretty sure I've explained myself well enough to get at least one extra day off at work. Anything else you guys recommend to be prepared for the IUD?

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Deep breaths during insertion. I hyperventilated and it made things worse.

The heating pad the ibu are pretty much the things the you need post insertion. Ice cream optional.

You be fine after 24 hours. I was and my insertion was anomalously bad.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

NaturalLow posted:

So I went out and got a heating pad, big bottle of ibuprofen, extra package of pads (the cashier probably thought I was having the period from hell) and I'm pretty sure I've explained myself well enough to get at least one extra day off at work. Anything else you guys recommend to be prepared for the IUD?

Just chill. It varies for everyone, but some people (me included) go through the insertion without more than a little crampiness the next few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Yeah, I was mostly just trying to get all the material stuff that I might need together so that way I won't have to worry about going out if I feel bad. I'm actually kind of excited really. I'm looking forward to losing all the migraines, crazy side-effects and hassles of the pill that I've dealt with over the years. It feels kind of weird (but cool!) after almost 4 years, to know this is probably the last pack I'll have to take in a long time if ever. With the way they keep changing the lifespan on Paragard, by the time my IUD needs to be replaced I'll be anywhere from 36 to 41 years old. Hopefully old enough to convince somebody to tie my tubes at least.

• Locked thread