Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

fentan posted:

I use Mod Organizer on FO3 and FNV and it works great on both. And it actually would be possible to use it with NMM. It might even be easier to install UI altering mods with NMM first and then use MO for everything else. You'd still be able to manage your full esm/esp load order in MO since it checks what's in your data directory when building its mod list.

This isn't how I did it, because I wanted everything to be neatly in one place, but it would be one way to get past the fact that uHud doesn't work with MO. (It is the only mod that doesn't work with MO, unfortunately it's crucial unless you know how to make those files compatible yourself)

Also you'll need to get used to following manual install instructions because the fomod script install support in MO is flaky at best.

That sounds like a pain in the rear end. I've never really have any significant problems with NMM; it seems to handle every mod I care about well enough. I might just stick with that for the time being and let MO mature a bit.

edit: Arrrgh, I don't know...

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Turtlicious posted:

Project Nevada (leave out the Rebalance plug-in) download the patches for any DLC you might have, CCO (Cirscin's Overhaul,) Jsawyer. Then get Mod Organizer to install them. Get MCM as well. There are a few more but this is really your core set, expand from that.

I'm giving this a shot, and which patches from CCO do I need to use?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Capn Beeb posted:

I'm giving this a shot, and which patches from CCO do I need to use?

Checkout the read me for CCO. it handles it pretty well, as well as where to place the the various items in your load order. If you're using all the DLC you can use the merged ESP files Cirosan was posting earlier, though I don't know if they are in the regular CCO download or not, but it really will cut down on your load order clutter.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
Cool, think I got it sorted. Good time to start a new game, been wanting to play with an ENB profile for a while now:

:getin:

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
I think I've put off building that new desktop for long enough...

Would an i3/7770 be able to handle NV with ENB at a consistent 35FPS+? What are your specs and what kind of performance are you getting?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Horns posted:

Would an i3/7770 be able to handle NV with ENB at a consistent 35FPS+? What are your specs and what kind of performance are you getting?

I got pretty decent results with a 660 gtx and i5 2320k, which averaged about 45 fps in skyrim using an ENB. Don't remember the exact figures in fnv though because it could jump around a lot since I wasn't using a SSD at the time.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Horns posted:

I think you should be perfectly fine. Just bear in mind that, like most iterations of the Gamebryo engine, the game can be relatively impervious to your hardware. You'll probably still get "hot spot" slowdowns where the engine, itself, is being pushed too hard, but the performance will have little to do with your rig. Outside of that, you should be able to get a perfectly good FPS.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I think you should be perfectly fine. Just bear in mind that, like most iterations of the Gamebryo engine, the game can be relatively impervious to your hardware. You'll probably still get "hot spot" slowdowns where the engine, itself, is being pushed too hard, but the performance will have little to do with your rig. Outside of that, you should be able to get a perfectly good FPS.

Yeah, no matter what, don't forget the game was built to be played on Xbox 360. This is why one of the best things you can do for your fnv is to put it on a SSD and your keep your number of mods from going tits crazy. Admittedly this can't be hugely helped when some people make a bunch off really rad stand alone weapons and then don't go and put them in a single ESP. Or you use a really rad modular overhaul. (Though I know that Cirosan is working on that.)

EDIT: what language exactly does FOMM/fomod scripts use? Because an install script could really hugely help installing CCO.

fentan
Aug 3, 2012

Trustworthy posted:

That sounds like a pain in the rear end. I've never really have any significant problems with NMM; it seems to handle every mod I care about well enough. I might just stick with that for the time being and let MO mature a bit.

edit: Arrrgh, I don't know...

Basically, yeah. MO is more trouble to set up for non Skyrim games than NMM is. For Skyrim it's a no brainer to use it but for Fallout it isn't. Whether it's worth it depends on how many mods you're using and how much you like to mess around with them. What you get in return is easier troubleshooting, being able to manage what overwrites what, being able to look under the hood and micromanage poo poo, smooth integration of updates and patches, totally clean install/uninstall, categories and blah blah blah a lot of other small convenience things this wasn't meant to be a shill. Basically I think it boils down to, if you like the convenience of letting scripted installers do their thing and get on with playing, you probably don't want MO. If you're the kind of nerd who is going to read through the description of everything you install and figure out exactly which parts of it you want and get aggravated when a lamp post inserter tries to retexture all your toolboxes with dumb logos, then you should learn to work with MO. It's will ultimately save you time.

vvv Yep.

fentan fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Dec 29, 2012

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
OK, thanks for the advice guys.

About the SSD thing: would I get the same benefit of using one with NV if I was running the game off a small external SSD while my OS and everything was running off a standard HDD?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Horns posted:

With this ENB profile:

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/48203

I get about 30FPS outdoors with a buttload of texture/mesh mods, 1920x1200, AA, etc. Lots of bells and whistles on. I'm on an i5 2500k with a GTX 460, 1GB card. I need to fine tune it a little, the bloom during the day time is pretty excessive.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
Is there any way to make NMM preserve the load order when updating mods? I running over a hundred mods and its infuriating when it just shoves the esps at the bottom when I update something. I've got a ton of compatibility patches that need to be in just the right spot to work.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Capn Beeb posted:

With this ENB profile:

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/48203

I get about 30FPS outdoors with a buttload of texture/mesh mods, 1920x1200, AA, etc. Lots of bells and whistles on. I'm on an i5 2500k with a GTX 460, 1GB card. I need to fine tune it a little, the bloom during the day time is pretty excessive.

Just in case it helps... I'm a little nuts about having good FPS, and even on my pretty great PC, I found the above ENB config to be too much of an FPS sacrifice for what I was getting in return. Except for the 1-2 lowest quality presets, and those looked relatively ehhhhhh.

Then I tried Realistic Mojave, and while its effects are definitely less complex and impressive than Blackout, it still looks pretty and doesn't scratch my frame rate at all.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 29, 2012

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

The best thing I did for my FPS was to run the Texture Optimizer. It'll take all your uselessly huge 4096x4096 nipple texture mods and make them a lot more reasonable, I play 720p on my TV so I set it to >1024; create mipmaps, a lot of modders forget to do this so it'll be using the full-size texture even at long distance; recompress them properly in accordance with their transparency channels. It even does BSAs, makes automatic backups and only takes a few minutes.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Anyone here ever use IWS? I am trying to install it with FOMM, and it worked fine,but I have an in game note telling me I should fiddle with some options somewhere to increase rates more if needed.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Trustworthy posted:

Just in case it helps... I'm a little nuts about having good FPS, and even on my pretty great PC, I found the above ENB config to be too much of an FPS sacrifice for what I was getting in return. Except for the 1-2 lowest quality presets, and those looked relatively ehhhhhh.

Then I tried Realistic Mojave, and while its effects are definitely less complex and impressive than Blackout, it still looks pretty and doesn't scratch my frame rate at all.

Seriously, gently caress blackout ENB series. Can we put a 'blackout' on recommendations for it in this thread? It's honest to god awful and only the mindless retard sheep on Nexus made it more popular than it ever should have gotten. Realistic mojave is the only ENB series I've seen so far that looks good in all situations including nighttime and doesn't have the stupid lighting effects and ridiculous bloom n' poo poo Blackout adds.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

WHOIS John Galt posted:

Please, God, is there any mod that allows me to sort my inventory by weight, value, w/v, etc, like SkyUI for Skyrim? I don't want a mod that just prefixes my items with more useless information. I need sorting, dammit!

Bumping my question :shobon:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

WHOIS John Galt posted:

Bumping my question :shobon:

Don't think it exists, sorry. Scripted sorters are the best you're going to get.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Is there anywhere I can find a few hints about where CCO has hidden the pre-order items?

I want to be challenged/surprised/not-overpowered/etc., but I would love to hurry up and find a couple things (i.e., my precious weathered 10mm and binocs; at some point possibly the caravan shotgun).

edit: (before I get good enough equipment that they're obsolete)

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 29, 2012

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I tried MO and FONV and it just disnt quite mesh right. FNVEDIT couldnt detect other mods or my load order, and certain mods wouldnt install. Despite extracting and everything just fine. I dont think it can make efomods either, unfortunately.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Are there any mods that tweak the time between restocks for the Sink in Old World Blues?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Naky posted:

Seriously, gently caress blackout ENB series. Can we put a 'blackout' on recommendations for it in this thread? It's honest to god awful and only the mindless retard sheep on Nexus made it more popular than it ever should have gotten. Realistic mojave is the only ENB series I've seen so far that looks good in all situations including nighttime and doesn't have the stupid lighting effects and ridiculous bloom n' poo poo Blackout adds.

No. Shut up. :colbert:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Ok, why am I crashing? I unchecked every mod but FalloutNV.esm, and still a crash. I really don't feel like reinstalling this a third time.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Trustworthy posted:

Is there anywhere I can find a few hints about where CCO has hidden the pre-order items?

I want to be challenged/surprised/not-overpowered/etc., but I would love to hurry up and find a couple things (i.e., my precious weathered 10mm and binocs; at some point possibly the caravan shotgun).

edit: (before I get good enough equipment that they're obsolete)

I know there is some stuff stashed in the shack by the mesquite mountain crater (possibly the shotgun?) I do know the weathered 10mm is in the trunk of the wrecked highwayman. There are binoculars stashed all over though if you really want them; if you climb up the front of the Bison Steve there's a set along with some vodka and chems, or there's a pair at Mojave Outpost up by Ranger Ghost.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Naky posted:

I like how it looks at night, but like how Realistic Mojave during the day. Hmm. Wonder if I could combine the two somehow.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Ok, why am I crashing? I unchecked every mod but FalloutNV.esm, and still a crash. I really don't feel like reinstalling this a third time.

When does it crash? Upon starting the game, loading a save, during the game? A little more information would go a long way toward helping you out.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Try running the game through Steam or the launcher. See what that does.

There is also no need to reinstall everything. Use steam to verify the game. Itll download anything hosed up. Failing that, reinstall the game and then back up the game to a seperate thing. I did this a long time ago and am so happy i did so.

Serbern
Feb 17, 2011
For those of you using ENB, how do you deal with antialiasing?
I tried the SMAA mod and the FXAA mod, but I still get very pronounced jagged edges.

I tried turning them on and off with the pause key to confirm that they were at all working, and they were. I simply get less jagged edges, but they are very far from gone. Anyone else having this problem? Even with ENB I can't stand playing with low AA :ohdear:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I run at a stupid high monitor resolution. That may not be an option for everyone.

also I definitely suggest tweaking any ENB you come across. I've yet to find one which worked 'out of the box' - Blackout for example? Dial down those bloom values. Ten seconds in a text editor of work. I've tried approximately all of them at this point and have not found the ultimate one ...yet.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

AHungryRobot posted:

Is there any way to make NMM preserve the load order when updating mods? I running over a hundred mods and its infuriating when it just shoves the esps at the bottom when I update something. I've got a ton of compatibility patches that need to be in just the right spot to work.

Use BOSS.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

SplitSoul posted:

When does it crash? Upon starting the game, loading a save, during the game? A little more information would go a long way toward helping you out.

Oops, sorry about that. Right before the main title, after the first splash logo.

SpookyLizard posted:

Try running the game through Steam or the launcher. See what that does.

There is also no need to reinstall everything. Use steam to verify the game. Itll download anything hosed up. Failing that, reinstall the game and then back up the game to a seperate thing. I did this a long time ago and am so happy i did so.

Crashes through launcher too. Will verifying mess with anything I've dropped in the data folder?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Oops, sorry about that. Right before the main title, after the first splash logo.

Crashes through launcher too. Will verifying mess with anything I've dropped in the data folder?

That usually means a missing .esm, but since you're only using falloutnv.esm, that could mean it's corrupted somehow. Verifying shouldn't mess with your files, unless you've replaced any originals.

Have you changed any .inis?

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

SplitSoul posted:

Have you changed any .inis?

Seconding this. Make sure to double check your inis. I accidentally pasted a line twice and it gave me the exact same error that you had.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Hobo on Fire posted:

I know there is some stuff stashed in the shack by the mesquite mountain crater (possibly the shotgun?) I do know the weathered 10mm is in the trunk of the wrecked highwayman. There are binoculars stashed all over though if you really want them; if you climb up the front of the Bison Steve there's a set along with some vodka and chems, or there's a pair at Mojave Outpost up by Ranger Ghost.

Cool, thanks; I'll keep my eyes peeled as I'm heading that way.

In the meantime, I'm lovin' popping ganger heads with my crit chance-/dmg-bonus .22 revolver.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

:whatup:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Yeah verifying the game cache wont remove things, just replace/repair the stuff that comes with it originally.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Stop tricking me into thinking last-gen Gamebryo is pretty!

On that note, is there a technical reason that FO3 modding died? I mean I and most people think NV is the better game in terms of story, but I have been playing FO3 again and comparatively, FO3's environments are stunning.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Stop tricking me into thinking last-gen Gamebryo is pretty!

On that note, is there a technical reason that FO3 modding died? I mean I and most people think NV is the better game in terms of story, but I have been playing FO3 again and comparatively, FO3's environments are stunning.

I wouldn't be so sure that most people think FNV is better. You'd be pretty surprised what the public opinion is between FO3 and FNV outside of these forums and maybe a couple others. FO3/FNV modding is dying down though due to Skyrim, I imagine. Those left are just the ones that prefer guns over elves and swords.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Anything to know about Lucky 38 Reloaded before I install it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fentan
Aug 3, 2012

SpookyLizard posted:

I tried MO and FONV and it just disnt quite mesh right. FNVEDIT couldnt detect other mods or my load order, and certain mods wouldnt install. Despite extracting and everything just fine. I dont think it can make efomods either, unfortunately.

You need to launch FNVEDIT through MO for it to work. It doesn't make fomods because it doesn't use them. Mods are extracted in separate folders, that's kind of the point. If a mod doesn't install correctly, it's because you've failed to manually extract it properly into its own folder.

Capn Beeb posted:

I like how it looks at night, but like how Realistic Mojave during the day. Hmm. Wonder if I could combine the two somehow.

Probably not, because too many settings are used for both day and night, like the color grading. Tweaking ENB can be kind of a nightmare if you're looking for specific results at different times of day. :(