Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there a way to have an nfc tag automatically connect to a bluetooth source rather than just turn bluetooth on or off? I have NFC Task Launcher and Tasker (which I have no idea how to use). I know with this app I can have it connect to a specific wifi network, but I'm looking for the same with Bluetooth. I got a bluetooth Soundfreaq speaker for Christmas and want to put a tag on it that will automatically connect to it when scanned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I see apps for increasing in-call volume but is there anything for lowering it? My wife's LG Optima V (VM670 rooted with CM7) is extremely loud and I can hear both sides of the conversation from across the room even with the volume set at its lowest.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

wooger posted:

Play is actually the Play store app where you buy apps, music etc. You mean Google Music. I totally agree that its crappy, the thing doesn't even reliably show lockscreen controls for me.

Google music is now Google Play Music so he's correct. There is also Play Books and Play Movies.

amishpurple
Jul 21, 2006

I'm not insane, I'm just not user-friendly!

explosivo posted:

Is there a way to have an nfc tag automatically connect to a bluetooth source rather than just turn bluetooth on or off? I have NFC Task Launcher and Tasker (which I have no idea how to use). I know with this app I can have it connect to a specific wifi network, but I'm looking for the same with Bluetooth. I got a bluetooth Soundfreaq speaker for Christmas and want to put a tag on it that will automatically connect to it when scanned.

Depending on your phone it may or may not connect to previously paired Bluetooth devices automagically. The S3, for example, doesn't so you can use an app like Bluetooth Auto Connect. I have that installed and use NFC tags to connect to my BT speaker as well. You may be able to do it in Tasker but that app worked for me so I didn't try.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

My phone is suddenly making GBS threads itself and refusing to find half the music I have on it. At first I could select it in poweramp/play music/apollo and get a message saying that it couldn't play, but then it disappeared from the library completely and rescanning doesn't add it back. Clearing data for all of the music apps and restarting the phone didn't work either.

Quoting myself from the Phone thread, because nobody has offered any suggestions there.

It's only the finding media files part that is confusing my phone. Everything else works fine, so there's got to be some kind of corruption going on with the library. I just don't know how to troubleshoot it.

fake edit: Actually, I just plugged my phone into my PC to see if I could play the files on the PC, and it looks like all of the songs that aren't working have mysteriously become 0 bytes. What the hell could cause that? They played fine last week, so something must have hosed them up and I need to be sure that it's not going to start randomly corrupting other files too.

real edit: It's even worse than I thought. Many of the folders (which had hundreds of mp3s in them) are now mysteriously empty. Something on my phone randomly deleted a huge pile of media files. And it's not just isolated to my music files. A whole boatload of my external SD card are also 0 bytes.

The MUMPSorceress fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 28, 2012

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Quoting myself from the Phone thread, because nobody has offered any suggestions there.

It's only the finding media files part that is confusing my phone. Everything else works fine, so there's got to be some kind of corruption going on with the library. I just don't know how to troubleshoot it.

fake edit: Actually, I just plugged my phone into my PC to see if I could play the files on the PC, and it looks like all of the songs that aren't working have mysteriously become 0 bytes. What the hell could cause that? They played fine last week, so something must have hosed them up and I need to be sure that it's not going to start randomly corrupting other files too.

If you find the Media Storage app (you'll have to look in the "All" list rather than the "Downloaded" list) and clear its data then you'll force a library rebuild - however, this will cause various other undesirable side effects like your ringtones and alert sounds being reset, etc.

However, if your media files have been truncated to 0 bytes then I doubt the library is your problem and I, like you, aren't really sure what the hell has gone on there.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

rolleyes posted:

If you find the Media Storage app (you'll have to look in the "All" list rather than the "Downloaded" list) and clear its data then you'll force a library rebuild - however, this will cause various other undesirable side effects like your ringtones and alert sounds being reset, etc.

However, if your media files have been truncated to 0 bytes then I doubt the library is your problem and I, like you, aren't really sure what the hell has gone on there.

Yeah, I already clear datad that too. There's something weirder at work here. Files missing, files changed to 0 bytes, it's loving weird. Just on the external SD though.

I'm going to shut this off and remove/reinsert the SD card, just for troubleshooting sake. I haven't dropped or jostled the phone at all, but maybe it's not seated right for some reason.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is it just me or did everyone's Google Now shipping cards just...leave and never come back?

My N4 is coming on Monday but Google Now ain't sayin' poo poo. It's not the only package this has happened to either.

Is this just broken or something?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Yeah, I already clear datad that too. There's something weirder at work here. Files missing, files changed to 0 bytes, it's loving weird. Just on the external SD though.

I'm going to shut this off and remove/reinsert the SD card, just for troubleshooting sake. I haven't dropped or jostled the phone at all, but maybe it's not seated right for some reason.

Reseating the SD did nothing. As far as I can tell, only photos, videos, and music are affected, so it's only poo poo that would be affected by a media-parsing app like the gallery or music player.

For some reason some files are totally fine, while others are totally hosed. There's no pattern as far as I can tell, except that it's folder-by-folder, so either a folder is totally hosed or completely OK.

Fortunately I have a complete backup of this SD card, but I'd like to figure out what the hell caused this before I waste my time copying it back across again.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Best guess: some sort of conflict between apps competing for access to the same data. What that might be or how it could result in file truncation beats me though.

edit:
Does the last modified date on the affected files offer any clues?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is it just me or did everyone's Google Now shipping cards just...leave and never come back?

My N4 is coming on Monday but Google Now ain't sayin' poo poo. It's not the only package this has happened to either.

Is this just broken or something?

Mine are working now, but there have been long periods where they didn't.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I've yet to see any shipping notifications in Google Now.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Frozen-Solid posted:

I've yet to see any shipping notifications in Google Now.
Throughout the holidays I received shipping notifications for everything.

e: vvv True, everything I ordered was from Amazon. vvv

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 28, 2012

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Mine picks up Amazon orders just fine. Google Play orders? Not so much. :v:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've tried to find the answer to this on internet and failed. :(

Some friends who all use iphones have a group text message thread. I'm an addressee in the thread, but I don't get group texts, I only get them as individual. When I respond, it is only to the original sender, not to the group. Likewise, I can send a group text, but it shows up as only coming from me; they can't respond to the group by responding to my message.

Is there an app that can make my phone work with the iphone group texting seamlessly? I have tried GroupMe and Handcent, I couldn't get either to work. Phone is a Motorola Photon with 2.3.5 on Sprint if that makes any difference.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Mine picks up Amazon orders just fine. Google Play orders? Not so much. :v:

Never change, Google. :allears:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

bewbies posted:

Some friends who all use iphones have a group text message thread. I'm an addressee in the thread, but I don't get group texts, I only get them as individual. When I respond, it is only to the original sender, not to the group. Likewise, I can send a group text, but it shows up as only coming from me; they can't respond to the group by responding to my message.

Is there an app that can make my phone work with the iphone group texting seamlessly? I have tried GroupMe and Handcent, I couldn't get either to work. Phone is a Motorola Photon with 2.3.5 on Sprint if that makes any difference.

I don't think this is possible, and MAN is it irritating when there is a big conversation going on with the iphoners. I think it's because the group messages come across as MMS instead of standard texts, so none of the programs know how to arrange them properly.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

bewbies posted:

They literally just fixed group messaging in the latest android version (4.2.1) so unless one of the SMS apps fixes it there's not much you can do.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Dayne posted:

Is there a way to trigger Google Now to alert me when I should leave for work without setting a Calendar appointment for it? I know you can put the time and place on an appointment and it'll alert when it's time to leave but I don't want to clutter up my calendar widget with a bunch of entries.

Under the traffic card settings add a location for work, then it will start to figure out what days/times you work pretty quickly.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

rolleyes posted:

Best guess: some sort of conflict between apps competing for access to the same data. What that might be or how it could result in file truncation beats me though.

edit:
Does the last modified date on the affected files offer any clues?

They're all last modified on 12/15 starting at 7:27 pm, but I have no real way of knowing what could have happened at that time to cause it.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sendo posted:

Under the traffic card settings add a location for work, then it will start to figure out what days/times you work pretty quickly.
No, this isn't true. It will give you a travel card at roughly the right time, but it will never tell you when you leave.

Crooz
Feb 22, 2011

bewbies posted:

GoSMS worked perfectly for me... Until about 3 days ago. It did all the group messaging perfect and has just recently gotten wonky with all MMS. Hopefully it sorts itself out soon for me but check it out.

Biscuit Hider
Apr 12, 2005

Biscuit Hider

kri kri posted:

What is the latest hotness for syncing shopping and to lists? Needs to have a web front end, android and iphone client. I was using Out of Milk but it looks like the iphone version is in beta, and I need something really solid and easy to use.

Just thought I'd let you know that we shipped our release version off to Apple just yesterday - it's now in their approval queue. As soon as it's approved, Out of Milk will be available on iOS as well. It's usually about a week approval time, but with the holidays, maybe slightly longer.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I mentioned this in the main android thread, but just wanted to reiterate that Intellicover https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dragonnis.intellicover&hl=en is the best Nexus 4 app ever. It sleeps your phone when you put it face down or in your pocket, wakes it when you pick it up, and somehow does all this proximity sensor wizardry without wake-locking the phone or using more than a couple % of extra battery. Just set it up, disable your lock screen, and never think about power buttons or butt-dialing again.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
It works on more than just the Nexus 4 too, should work on any device with a proximity sensor. Certainly interesting, not really sure where I'd personally use it, but it's neat at least.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Anyone here use Llama? I tried to set it to activate Airplane mode at night to save battery but it just doesn't do that. I'm on a Nexus 4 and barely get through a workday with a full charge so I'm trying to save some battery that way.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Biggest human being Ever posted:

Anyone here use Llama? I tried to set it to activate Airplane mode at night to save battery but it just doesn't do that. I'm on a Nexus 4 and barely get through a workday with a full charge so I'm trying to save some battery that way.

Why don't you just plug it in at night?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Why don't you just plug it in at night?

Sometimes when I'm really sleepy I forget. :shobon:

It's not really a huge issue but I figured stuff like that is exactly what you use Llama for.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Sometimes when I'm really sleepy I forget. :shobon:

It's not really a huge issue but I figured stuff like that is exactly what you use Llama for.

You'll be better off learning to remember to plug it in. I had the same problem at first. I put my charger on my nightstand, and started throwing the end of the cord on my pillow every morning so that when I went to lie down it would remind me to plug the phone in. I don't do that anymore because it ingrained the habit of plugging the thing in. It's been years since I forgot to plug it in.

Come to terms with the fact that for the vast majority of people with the vast majority of smartphones plugging your phone in every night is necessary.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

DemonMage posted:

It works on more than just the Nexus 4 too, should work on any device with a proximity sensor. Certainly interesting, not really sure where I'd personally use it, but it's neat at least.

I'm trying it out on my GS3, and its pretty neat. Should be really useful with the flip cover, if I decide that I like having that on the phone all the time.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

As of 4.2, Airplane mode cannot be toggled by an app, it requires Device Administrator rights. Tasker has a plugin called Secure Settings which can do it, Llama might have something similar.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Zero VGS posted:

I mentioned this in the main android thread, but just wanted to reiterate that Intellicover https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dragonnis.intellicover&hl=en is the best Nexus 4 app ever. It sleeps your phone when you put it face down or in your pocket, wakes it when you pick it up, and somehow does all this proximity sensor wizardry without wake-locking the phone or using more than a couple % of extra battery. Just set it up, disable your lock screen, and never think about power buttons or butt-dialing again.

Neat. I actually kind of expected my Note 2 to have this functionality already, since a flip-cover is like the one major first-party accessory for the thing.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I looked at play store "my apps" today checking for updates, saw none but saw the 1st app on my installed list, Adfree android now had "moved to a new home" in its title. I clicked on it and it has notes in the description saying "do not install" (always pleasing to see that on an app that needs su) and gives a link to new version on play store. What's up with that? Why in the world would anyone update an app that way? Is the dev doing something weird/dumb? or is he working around something weird/dumb google did?

edit: link to old/do not install ver: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bigtincan.android.adfree&hl=en

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 29, 2012

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Wagonburner posted:

I looked at play store "my apps" today checking for updates, saw none but saw the 1st app on my installed list, Adfree android now had "moved to a new home" in its title. I clicked on it and it has notes in the description saying "do not install" (always pleasing to see that on an app that needs su) and gives a link to new version on play store. What's up with that? Why in the world would anyone update an app that way? Is the dev doing something weird/dumb? or is he working around something weird/dumb google did?

Maybe it's a similar situation to what the Awful app went through - developers changed hands so they had to change market accounts as well.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Maybe it's a similar situation to what the Awful app went through - developers changed hands so they had to change market accounts as well.

Could be that. Also, if I recall correctly if the app package name changes it will result in Play Store goofiness.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

If you can swing it just get a Qi charger, I don't know how I lived without one before. Yes, I am that lazy.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Are there any decent note-taking apps for Android that have good mathematical symbol recognition? Or a halfway usable system for entering equations? Or even good text recognition but where I can interleave in handwritten math stuff easily?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

The Insect Court posted:

Are there any decent note-taking apps for Android that have good mathematical symbol recognition? Or a halfway usable system for entering equations? Or even good text recognition but where I can interleave in handwritten math stuff easily?

MyScript Calculator might be of some use?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Wagonburner posted:

edit: link to old/do not install ver: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bigtincan.android.adfree&hl=en

I don't know but AdAway is better in just about every way.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.adaway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FlyingCheese posted:

I don't know but AdAway is better in just about every way.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.adaway
Is there a way to stop the notification after it updates?

• Locked thread