Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Not sure if I'm giving Roland Emmerich too much credit, or if it's really obvious to everyone but me, but I was watching Independence Day, and Randy Quaid's character is loving around in the airplane before the final dogfight. He presses a random button and arms one of the missiles, before fumbling around, hitting another random button and disabling it. I think his fumbling may have caused the mechanical fault which causes the missile to jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Incoherent Moron posted:

Not sure if I'm giving Roland Emmerich too much credit, or if it's really obvious to everyone but me, but I was watching Independence Day, and Randy Quaid's character is loving around in the airplane before the final dogfight. He presses a random button and arms one of the missiles, before fumbling around, hitting another random button and disabling it. I think his fumbling may have caused the mechanical fault which causes the missile to jam.

I never thought about that before. I know about both things, but never connected them together.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.
I'm watching Young Einstein right now, and I had to pause it to post these.

Right after he gets rejected from the patent office for the first time, misses seeing Marie Curie in the street, right as he's starting to feel homesick and dejected with the failure in the big city, what street does he walk down? Lonely Street. Later, right after he electrifies his viola, and strike it for the first time while in the tub resulting in an explosion, the movie cuts to a bunch of people waking up, startled. One of the shots is of two dudes sharing the same bed. That may not be a big deal now, but the movie came out in 1988, almost 25 years ago, so attitudes about homosexuality probably weren't as lax as they are now. Not really a plot moment, but I thought it was a nice little moment of progressivism.

Also, if you haven't seen this movie (I expect its fairly obscure) you really should. It bears absolutely no resemblance to the real story of Einstein. For one, the real guy wasn't Tasmanian, and I'm pretty sure that there's no such thing as a "beer atom," and that furthermore if you split it, it doesn't put bubbles into beer. Funny movie though, as long as you don't take it seriously.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

grumplestiltzkin posted:

I'm watching Young Einstein right now, and I had to pause it to post these.

Right after he gets rejected from the patent office for the first time, misses seeing Marie Curie in the street, right as he's starting to feel homesick and dejected with the failure in the big city, what street does he walk down? Lonely Street. Later, right after he electrifies his viola, and strike it for the first time while in the tub resulting in an explosion, the movie cuts to a bunch of people waking up, startled. One of the shots is of two dudes sharing the same bed. That may not be a big deal now, but the movie came out in 1988, almost 25 years ago, so attitudes about homosexuality probably weren't as lax as they are now. Not really a plot moment, but I thought it was a nice little moment of progressivism.

Also, if you haven't seen this movie (I expect its fairly obscure) you really should. It bears absolutely no resemblance to the real story of Einstein. For one, the real guy wasn't Tasmanian, and I'm pretty sure that there's no such thing as a "beer atom," and that furthermore if you split it, it doesn't put bubbles into beer. Funny movie though, as long as you don't take it seriously.

But it is a Serious Film.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
Friend pointed this out to me: in Brick, all of the characters are associated with some kind of bird. I've been going through this in my head. Laura was a peacock, the Pin was a rooster I think; I can't seem to remember the rest.

Apparently Rian Johnson has confirmed this.

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:

The broken bones posted:

Friend pointed this out to me: in Brick, all of the characters are associated with some kind of bird. I've been going through this in my head. Laura was a peacock, the Pin was a rooster I think; I can't seem to remember the rest.

Apparently Rian Johnson has confirmed this.

I just recently watched this too. I like how much it is a play on noir and uses the sun in intense scenes instead of rain. That's probably an obvious one but I thought it was cute.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

ThaShaneTrain posted:

I just recently watched this too. I like how much it is a play on noir and uses the sun in intense scenes instead of rain. That's probably an obvious one but I thought it was cute.

Hooooly poo poo. I love Brick, must have watched it three or four times, and I never noticed this! That's genius!

Someone told me that one of the subtler noirisms is the Rubiks cube. Apparently it represents a piano, the way that the main dude and Brain pass it back and forth in the exposition scene, and another thing later on I can't remember.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
In The Nightmare Before Christmas, there's tons of foreshadowing that Jack taking over Xmas will end in disaster, mostly when Sally's vision of an Xmas tree burns up. But the one that struck me more was when he's singing about the mysteries of Christmas, he pulls the garland off the tree, smashing every single ornament on the ground and almost hitting his dog in the process. Jack doesn't notice this, just as he pretty much ignores Sally's warning. She's the only person in the town to tell him this is a bad idea; everyone else is eager to follow whatever he does.

Jack is so excited in that song that he literally destroys a lot of his Christmas items, almost hurts someone else, and doesn't notice either thing, which ties in later to him mistaking the armed guard as lighting his way, the kid being happy (and not terrified) to see him: he is so wrapped up in his own wants that he doesn't notice how it affects anyone else.

Of course he realizes his fuckup when he's in a cemetery. Which is where he started at the beginning of the movie lamenting how it sucked to be the Pumpkin King, and in a similar graveyard, he laments how he's ruined everything despite wanting to do great.

Lemon Cello
Sep 2, 2011

you're posting...
Not quite a subtle movie moment so much as it is a subtle reference to a movie:
At the beginning of Help! we see the Beatles singing the title song while the villains throw darts at the screen, hitting Ringo in the face.
A year later in the pilot episode of the Monkees, Mike Nesmith throws darts at a picture of the Beatles, hitting Ringo in the face.
I thought it was cute v:shobon:v

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I saw Cloud Atlas yesterday, and I don't have any subtle moments, but with that premise I really feel like I should. Anyone more observant got something? There were of course lots of little callbacks to previous eras but they always made a point to draw attention to those.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The scene in the Ocean's 11 remake where Clooney and Damon meet for the first time has a fun subtle bit in it. Clooney is doing his whole introduction thing while he has two plane tickets under his hand, he looks away for a second and when he looks back Damon has the tickets even though his hand is still on the table. The thing is if you pay attention to the scene you see that they don't cheat and Damon is able to grab the tickets when Clooney's head is turned because he lifts his hand off the tickets for a split second.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

I saw Cloud Atlas yesterday, and I don't have any subtle moments, but with that premise I really feel like I should. Anyone more observant got something? There were of course lots of little callbacks to previous eras but they always made a point to draw attention to those.

Sonmi and the Mexican lady in the 70's segment were played by the same actress.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Level Slide posted:

Sonmi and the Mexican lady in the 70's segment were played by the same actress.

Or to better put it: if you didn't stick around for the credits, you missed out. It shows the lead actors and each role they played. So you confirm that yes, that creepy looking doctor/surgeon in the Korea segment was indeed Halle Berry.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

My Lovely Horse posted:

There are a lot of things, including the actors playing multiple roles across all the six timelines, but they give all that away at the end during the credits. You might have noticed each of the six stories are read or seen by the main character in the next story chronologically. The Adam Ewing journal is read by Frobisher, the movie version of Timothy Cavendish's story is seen by Sonmi, etc. This is made much more apparent in the book, but it's subtly in the movie as well. Also each of the stories features humans preying on one another in some fashion, whether one-on-one as in Vyvyan Ayrs blackmailing Frobisher, or with all of society against one person, as in the corpocracy hunting Sonmi 451. Another thing that is more of "the entire point" in the book, but becomes a subtle auxiliary plot point in the movie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

each of the six stories are read or seen by the main character in the next story chronologically. The Adam Ewing journal is read by Frobisher, the movie version of Timothy Cavendish's story is seen by Sonmi, etc.

Its Frobisher read's Ewing's journal, Luisa Rey reads Frobisher's letters to Sixsmith, Cavendish reads the novel about Luisa Rey, Sonmi watches the movie about Cavendish and Zachry sees the orison of Sonmi's interrogation.

The book version goes even further with each part being broken up into two parts, with the characters only seeing/reading as far as you, the reader. Ewing's journal is ripped in half, Luisa Rey doesn't get all of Sixsmith's letters, etc. Then after you return to the story the character gets the rest of the story, Sonmi seeing the finish of Cavendish's movie and such.

Electric Slug
Oct 30, 2011
A few more from Hot Fuzz. God drat I love this movie:

-Throughout the entire movie Angel wears a stab proof vest, saying that it's too dangerous to take it off. The first time he isn't wearing the vest, he gets stabbed.

-At the beginning when introducing the NWA, The police chief says to angel that "They act like they own us, but they have don't have any real power". This is obviously a lie

-Throughout the movie Angel has been reminding Butterman of proper police terminology that is up to code, and throughout the movie Butterman starts using this language. He also teaches Angel a bunch of action movie lines, and he starts using them too. He also starts swearing and drinking.

-The kids spraypaint the cameras blue and white, the color of police sirens.

-The hotel that Angel stays at is called the Swan. Throughout the movie they've been dealing with a rogue swan.

-Danny acts like a monkey throughout the beginning of the movie (clapping his hands, acting silly. Think Ed in Shaun of the Dead) until Andy calls him a "stupid loving gorilla". This when he's given the gorilla by Angel. After this he stops and begins acting more seriously.

- During the NWA meeting, the shop owner tells everyone that Angel is going to slip and break his neck in the shower. At the end he slips and gets a church spire through his neck.

-One of the police constables takes the press off of Angels hands after being advised on how to lock down the crime scene (he says something like "yeah, that sounds good, lets go with that"). Angel repeats the exact same thing when they raid the store

-The guns during the fight always have the tags on from the evidence locker.

-After watching Point Break, Angel comments that a giant action spree would take a "substantial amount of paperwork". He says the same thing after the big action movie scene.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

More Hot Fuzz:

At the beginning of the big final action scenes, all the people in town are in the same places/doing the same things they were when Angel first arrived.

I don't remember if someone mentioned this already, but the two Andys are reading books by Ian Banks and Ian M. Banks, one author who uses two different names for different genres.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I wonder which Andy got the sci-fi Banks. Now that's subtle.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Oh, drat. I looked it up and it's actually the two Sgt. Turners, not the two Andys.

IMDB posted:

Bill Bailey plays two different characters in the film. One of the characters reads "Complicity" by Iain Banks, while the other reads two novels by Iain M. Banks. They are in fact all written by the same author (Iain Banks), the "M" simply shows that the books are science-fiction rather than normal fiction. (One of the Iain M. Banks books is "The State Of The Art"). This split is clearly supposed to symbolize differences in the two characters' personalities.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
There's also a shot early in the movie where they're introducing Angel and he walks down a hallway towards the camera and flashes his badge and ID for us. The picture of his face on the ID is the same exact shot, cropped down to just his face.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Hot Fuzz:

quote:

In the scene in the Somerfield store, when Angel is confronting a youth for shoplifting, a DVD copy of Shaun of the Dead can be seen for a few frames. The title is Zombies' Party, the Spanish and Portuguese title for the film. Further homages to Shaun of the Dead are also present in the film. In one scene, Nicholas wants to chase a suspect down by jumping over garden fences, however Danny is reluctant. Nicholas responds "What's the matter Butterman? Never taken a shortcut before?" while smiling arrogantly before jumping over them. When Danny attempts it, he trips and falls through the fence. It is almost identical to a scene in Shaun of the Dead, including the fall-through-fence gag (in Shaun of the Dead however, it happens to Simon Pegg's character rather than Nick Frost's, and he falls over the fence rather than through it).

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
At the very beginning, in the shop where they buy Cornettos I think, there's a poster in the window for Romeo and Juliette with a picture of Martin Blower and Eve Draper; during the big shootout, after Martin and Eve are killed for their poor acting you can see this poster again, but it now shows Greg (Straw Dogs) and Sheri (Prime Suspect).

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

In Les Miserables when Jean Valjean and Cosette are forced to flee to England to avoid Javert, you can see that Jean has held onto at least one of the candles that the bishop gave him at the beginning of the movie.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Lord Lambeth posted:

In Les Miserables when Jean Valjean and Cosette are forced to flee to England to avoid Javert, you can see that Jean has held onto at least one of the candles that the bishop gave him at the beginning of the movie.

He keeps both of them. They are on the altar in the convent during his death scene.

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME
Oct 9, 2012

by Pipski
I know using Pixar is cheating because it's goddamned Pixar, but check this scene from Up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVP9Xe0psDU

Look at that eye twitch. Look at it!

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

My favorite callback was with Sergeant Fisher(?) At the exploded house he tells Angel he'll take care of the press and starts detailing his perfect Sunday to Tim Messenger. Later during the aftermath of the miniature village he's in front of a TV camera and you can hear him say the phrase "... my perfect Sunday..."

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Lord Lambeth posted:

Yeah the musical and the older films make this kinda obvious. In the Liam Neeson version you see him digging them out of the ground before he 'exposes' himself to the court

carnivaljunkie
Apr 7, 2006

What's it like in funny little brains? It must be so boring.

bat duck posted:

In the first Scream movie the principal is alone in his office at one point and hears something in the hallway. He opens the door and in the hallway there's a janitor moping the floors wearing a wide striped green and red knitted sweater and a fedora, The principal then say something like "Oh, it's just you Fred!". This being of course a reference to Freddy from nightmare on elm street who wore the same outfit and worked as a janitor until he got killed.

I know I'm quoting from pages back, but Scream has some pretty fun moments in it. My favorite has to be when the principal (played by Henry Winkler) is looking at himself in the mirror, he starts to raise his comb to his hair, and stops, appreciating his appearance as if it's perfect. It's a fantastic call back to when Winkler played Fonzie in Happy Days.

Gif of the moment for funzies:

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

That gif is from Arrested Development, not Scream. Doesn't he put on a fake ghost mask in front of a mirror in Scream? I don't remember him doing the comb thing.

carnivaljunkie
Apr 7, 2006

What's it like in funny little brains? It must be so boring.
He does that too, but I thought he'd done the comb thing in Scream. I could be wrong though - it's been a couple years since I've watched Scream. And I've never watched Arrested Development, so. Regardless, it's a fun callback.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

He supposedly has "the" leather jacket in the closet in his office in Scream

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I was just watching Dogma and noticed a small thing I hadn't caught in the past. In the scene toward the end of the movie when the George Carlin cardinal character is talking about his church he uses the phrase 100 years young, which is an expression that Carlin has a whole bit about hating in his one of his stand up specials.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Aidan_702 posted:

Yeah the musical and the older films make this kinda obvious. In the Liam Neeson version you see him digging them out of the ground before he 'exposes' himself to the court

This is the first time I've seen Les Mis in any form so whoops guess I missed the boat. :shobon:

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

Electric Slug posted:

A few more from Hot Fuzz. God drat I love this movie:

When Angel asks who's armed in the area, the two sergeants respond "Farmers. And farmers' mums." The first people to attack Angel when he returns is a farmer and his mother.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Lord Lambeth posted:

This is the first time I've seen Les Mis in any form so whoops guess I missed the boat. :shobon:

Go watch Liam Neeson be a bad rear end in a non-musical way. Also its a bit more loyal to the original book than the musical is as you might imagine.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

When they have lunch in the pub, Angel still has his stab vest on, and one of the other policemanofficers tells him "Nobody's gonna stab you in here...not a member of the public, anyway."

Angel is later stabbed by Danny (another policemanofficer), though we soon see is was a trick.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

In Lost Boys there's a good case for Grandpa being a vampire (or at least half vampire.) He has a large number of animals drained of their blood and a shelf of special 'root beer' that only he is allowed to drink. He wears sunglasses indoors during the day like Michael after he's turned. And of course he knows about the existence of vampires.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
One more from Shaun that I just got after seeing the movie a million times: When Pete is asking Ed to please write down messages from the answering machine, "it's not that taxing is it? Writing something down on a little scrap of paper?" - Ed's done exactly that and stuck it on Pete's back. I always just took it as a random gag, but knowing Wright it isn't.

THE JORY
Jul 28, 2012

One really subtle Shaun of the Dead one happens when Shaun is talking to his mom. If you turn it up enough, you can hear Ed crash the car so they can take the Jaguar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
Basically, Edgar Wright is a ridiculously detail-oriented filmmaker.