Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Monkeytime posted:

It's a 3d printed record! Granted, the fidelity is the equivalent of an 11kbps mp3, but it still represents at least part of the future of the vinyl format.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Anaau7lh9iU

I don't get what's so special about what we're seeing other than it sounds like poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

That it was printed with a 3D printer and that it can be actually played.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

WASDF posted:

That it was printed with a 3D printer and that it can be actually played.

Oh. That's kind of cool I guess.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Monkeytime posted:

It's a 3d printed record! Granted, the fidelity is the equivalent of an 11kbps mp3, but it still represents at least part of the future of the vinyl format.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Anaau7lh9iU

I have a Joy Division live bootleg that sounds like this.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
It's pretty cool. It actually kinda sounds like a record playing from another room :v:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Parachute Underwear posted:

It's pretty cool. It actually kinda sounds like a record playing from another room :v:

Through blown out speakers underwater.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Enjoying my new record player and records. Although since I was a complete novice to this stuff, the fact that Kid A came in 10" lps is super frustrating because my AT record player can't do it's auto "push one button to play" stuff. :smith:

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
I got a turntable and some records for christmas! I'm pretty excited.

I need to buy a receiver though. I have nothing in the way of a decent home audio setup going, so I am starting totally from scratch. Any recommendations on what I should be looking for when I buy a receiver? I am trying to spend very little money.

For records, I got:
Honky Chateau - Elton
The Jimmy Hendrix Experience Live at Berkeley
Ship Arriving too Late to Save a Burning Witch - Zappa
The Who By Numbers

EDIT: I realised there is a thread for this in IYG. My bad.

hobbez fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 26, 2012

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Abu Dave posted:

Enjoying my new record player and records. Although since I was a complete novice to this stuff, the fact that Kid A came in 10" lps is super frustrating because my AT record player can't do it's auto "push one button to play" stuff. :smith:

I've had to deal with that. Push the button but catch the tonearm and set it down on the record.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

MisterOblivious posted:

I've had to deal with that. Push the button but catch the tonearm and set it down on the record.

If it's the ATLP60/120, you just set it down; you don't have to press the autoplay button.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

CPL593H posted:

I don't get what's so special about what we're seeing other than it sounds like poo poo.

Edison's "Mary Had a little lamb" sounded like poo poo too, have to start somewhere.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Mighty Horse posted:

Edison's "Mary Had a little lamb" sounded like poo poo too, have to start somewhere.

Considering that vinyl is already a niche market and physical media is going the way of the rotary phone, I doubt this technology will be the next big thing.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

Considering that vinyl is already a niche market and physical media is going the way of the rotary phone, I doubt this technology will be the next big thing.

Given that one minute of music with a resolution of 11khz takes 200 megabytes of data storage...

In CD terms, that would be about 20 minutes of sound, or about one full side of a record proper. It's just completely less efficient than any other way of producing vinyl records. It's just something cool to do because it could be done.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Personally I think it'd be cool to buy a 3D printer and be able to print off vinyls of my own bands bad music to give to friends. I mean yeah, you'll run the risk of massive piracy, but in the case of a former i think it'd be kinda cool.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Yeah, get a 3d printer to make vinyls. :colbert:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

At least now we know what kind of people think that would be a good or useful idea. :smug:

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I can see Polyvinyl or someone eventually using a 3D printer as a gimmick for a single release or something, but only once the resolution is high enough that it doesn't sound like complete rear end. Other than that, I think the 3D printed record thing was kind of just to say, "Check out the amazing resolution of this 3D printer!", not "Check out the future of pressing records!" 3D printing is still a budding technology, and obviously it's not viable for music distribution in its current form, but it is still pretty impressive that there's a machine right now that is capable of PRINTING OUT a clip of audio that actually plays. That's some futuristic poo poo.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

I can see Polyvinyl or someone eventually using a 3D printer as a gimmick for a single release or something, but only once the resolution is high enough that it doesn't sound like complete rear end. Other than that, I think the 3D printed record thing was kind of just to say, "Check out the amazing resolution of this 3D printer!", not "Check out the future of pressing records!" 3D printing is still a budding technology, and obviously it's not viable for music distribution in its current form, but it is still pretty impressive that there's a machine right now that is capable of PRINTING OUT a clip of audio that actually plays. That's some futuristic poo poo.

Polyvinyls are the future of music.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I don't like music anymore. It's all too complicated.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Its pretty neat that dude was able to engineer a 3D printed solution to create records in an industry that has not really changed in 50 years.

I would love to look at whatever documents he read to learn how to create the physical shape to play in a cartridge.

Actually gently caress that, let me know when he 3D prints at 180 grams :smuggo:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

alg posted:

Its pretty neat that dude was able to engineer a 3D printed solution to create records in an industry that has not really changed in 50 years.

I would love to look at whatever documents he read to learn how to create the physical shape to play in a cartridge.

Actually gently caress that, let me know when he 3D prints at 180 grams :smuggo:

180 grams? Look at this loving chump. I won't even put it on my turntable if it's not 200.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CPL593H posted:

At least now we know what kind of people think that would be a good or useful idea. :smug:

I can't stop :qq: :qq:

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

180 grams? Look at this loving chump. I won't even put it on my turntable if it's not 200.

Excuse me, I only buy original press 120 gram records since 180 and 200 gram records are just audiophile junk. If it wasn't pressed in the 70s on tube equipment, it might as well be in my trashcan, am I right guys?

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

So I know Norton Records got beat up pretty bad by Sandy, does anyone know how they're doing now?

They have several of records I want to buy, but it's not really clear what they have and what they don't.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Hey, did everyone here in the joyful noise flexi-disc club get the December flexi?

Cosmic Horror
Feb 2, 2009

DON'T BRING A GUN TO A SHELBY FIGHT MOTHER FUCKER, THAT'S RIGHT YOU GOT KNOCKED THE FUCK OUT

CPL593H posted:

Hey, did everyone here in the joyful noise flexi-disc club get the December flexi?

I actually sent an email yesterday asking if I should be worried about not getting it yet. Apparently there were manufacturing and shipping delays this month, so most of them are still in transit.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cosmic Horror posted:

I actually sent an email yesterday asking if I should be worried about not getting it yet. Apparently there were manufacturing and shipping delays this month, so most of them are still in transit.

Yeah, I just got a thing about that. But thanks for the reply.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
so for Christmas I got a sony ps-lx300usb turntable. Is it any good? I've heard reports of some of the USB turntables destroying records and I want to make sure that won't happen. Pretty much every review I've seen just talks about the ripping software bundled with it (it sucks). I just want something to listen to my records on. But not if it's going to ruin them.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
If you asked this question on the snobby audiophile forums they would have told you this was the worst thing since the holocaust and nagged you into buying something 3 times the price, but the truth is that while not top of the line, this is an acceptable first turntable and you can enjoy your records for the time being knowing that far worse turntables have tried and failed to do permanent damage to records, and if or when the time comes that you decide you want get a bit more serious with the hobby, you can lay down some serious cash for a spinner.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Just got Old Man Gloom - NO on "smoke vinyl"

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

1200 Smoke Vinyl Every Day :weed:

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
If anyone is into The Gaslight Anthem, Sideonedummy Records has a really nice bundle right now with "The '59 Sound" and "American Slang" for only 25 bucks, both printed on 'blood red' vinyl: http://store.sideonedummy.com/tga59slangredboth.html

nous_
May 14, 2010
I spent 80k on my sociology degree and all I got was the stupid opinion I just posted.

(and herpes)
Just picked up an unopened copy of Deadmau5 - 4x4=12 (won't go into how much it cost with shipping... xmas present to myself :) ) I may get a turntable thing or just hang it on the wall. Vinyl is so cool!

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
To any Australians who care, all the JB HiFis I've been to recently have started stocking vinyl again. They've only had 10-15 albums at all of them but it's a start.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

is this the place to brag about christmas and having cool parents?

Burial - Truant / Rough Sleeper
Tim Hecker - Ravedeath, 1972
Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92
Slowdive - Souvlaki
Holy Other - With U
This Will Destroy You - self titled

:banjo:

real nap shit fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 30, 2012

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

slardel posted:

is this the place to brag about christmas and having cool parents?

Burial - Truant / Rough Sleeper
Tim Hecker - Ravedeath, 1972
Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92
Slowdive - Souvlaki
Holy Other - With U
This Will Destroy You - self titled

:banjo:

mmm Aphex Twin. What colour is your copy of TWDY?

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

it's the one on the left there, too lazy to take another pic.

the LP cover owns but I think I prefer the simplicity/elegance of the CD cover

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

david puddy posted:

To any Australians who care, all the JB HiFis I've been to recently have started stocking vinyl again. They've only had 10-15 albums at all of them but it's a start.

I though all JB HiFi's stocked vinyl? The stores in Melbourne have hundreds upon hundreds. Hell, even my local store in Hobart has had quite a bit of vinyl for a few years now.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

dflanny posted:

I though all JB HiFi's stocked vinyl? The stores in Melbourne have hundreds upon hundreds. Hell, even my local store in Hobart has had quite a bit of vinyl for a few years now.

I'm in south east Queensland and there were only two stores before now that sold vinyl in Brisbane and the Gold Coast, and they only had 50ish records each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
My condolences. I thought if the Hobart store could have vinyl, the rest of them should.