Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I just use the free air from the supermarket. Should I be buying premium version? Sainsbury's have just launched a 'Breath the difference' line of premium air, but it's not clear whether that's suitable for tyres or if it's for human consumption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

You have to get it from up in the mountains over the pollution, yes I know it's thinner, but free-range air is always better.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
Praxair has a new M25 line of tire fillant. It's supposedly 25% CO2, 74% He and the rest is a trade secret. Worked great for me though.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

AnnoyBot posted:

Praxair has a new M25 line of tire fillant. It's supposedly 25% CO2, 74% He and the rest is a trade secret. Worked great for me though.

Do they do some graded for the M20?

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Angrymog posted:

Do they do some graded for the M20?

Yes, but it's rated for bias ply tires only. Bummer, I know.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Tyre air is a conspiracy by the government and the tyre places to generate more taxes from the motoring masses just like selling special "motorcycle" tyres. Did you know the first tyres were solid?!

I fill my (ordinary car) tyres with either epoxy (for touring) or silicone sealant (if I want a more sporty ride). Never have to worry about getting a flat now!

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
I usually run nitrogen in my tires but I've heard good things about filling them with a vacuum. I'm not sure how this would change handling but the raised CG would certainly help my get a knee down during my city commute.

E: sea level air in the back + vacuum in the front = wheelie machine?

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
The air supply to your engine is important too. Anybody run helium through their intake? Your exhaust note gets all high pitched, just like your voice!

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
And who ever said there's no humor in CA...?

Dead right.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

MonkeyNutZ posted:

I usually run nitrogen in my tires but I've heard good things about filling them with a vacuum. I'm not sure how this would change handling but the raised CG would certainly help my get a knee down during my city commute.

E: sea level air in the back + vacuum in the front = wheelie machine?

Well yeah but only with radials. Imagine a cross-ply trying to support the carcass against sea-level pressure, it would be a bloodbath!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

nsaP posted:

And who ever said there's no humor in CA...?

Dead right.

Mate you should have seen Usenet when we started getting on about wheelying shaft-driven bikes.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

On the train to Stockholm bike show I overheard a pair of layer dans discussing gear, with one of them saying he normally rides in jeans and chaps, but when only going on a short ride he would leave the chaps and take the risk. :downs:

Philanthropy!
Nov 8, 2012

RIDE A NEW BIKE, BECAUSE MORE HORSEPOWER EQUALS SAFER THAN

Collateral Damage posted:

On the train to Stockholm bike show I overheard a pair of layer dans discussing gear, with one of them saying he normally rides in jeans and chaps, but when only going on a short ride he would leave the chaps and take the risk. :downs:

That's what pretty much everyone says.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Haha, those crazy bikers who are not me! Talking about small compromises between safety and convenience! They're so crazy!

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
:munch:

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

Z3n should get a motorbike alarm that plays someone saying that, he'd be out in a shot.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Philanthropy! posted:

That's what pretty much everyone says.

You, of all people, should know that accidents can and do happen in what seems like a perfectly safe situation.

Philanthropy!
Nov 8, 2012

Look, it's a legit point. Pretty much everyone beyond this insular forum doesn't wear the entire rig when they're going to a short journey and TBH I'm sure that the wearisome Pharisees who extoll ATGATT do exactly the same thing IRL.

Besides when I wrote off my Daytona I was wearing shorts, t-shirt and a pair of deck shoes and I was pretty much fine.

Be honest, don't lie to yourself and others - we all know we don't wear full kit for very short trips. I don't know where the consideration that safety zealotry has become attractive comes from.

Philanthropy! fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 26, 2013

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Here is another person who crashed wearing a T-shirt and shorts at only 40mph, because someone pulled out in front of him.

https://encyclopediadramatica.se/Abunchofnumbers

He was wearing a helmet; note the total lack of injury to his head, and compare that to everything else.

I don't own a pair of riding pants yet but I do own all the rest of the stuff including knee guards and yes, I do wear all of it every time I ride. YMMV but I found it pretty easy to simply make a habit of putting on everything, never compromising even if it was just a ride around the block, and now I feel actively uncomfortable if I'm missing anything. Try it and see.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 26, 2013

Philanthropy!
Nov 8, 2012

Oh whatever you tedious nagging fishwife, ignore the median and go directly to extremes. Also, I really don't care what you choose to wear.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The point was that the chaps he was talking about were most likely not any kind of protective gear anyway, but something which would disintegrate at the first touch of asphalt.

I reserve the right to base this assumption completely on prejudice. :colbert:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

Here is another person who crashed wearing a T-shirt and shorts at only 40mph, because someone pulled out in front of him.

Pretty sure he was wearing a bike jacket actually. He was a p cool dude.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I never wish harm on anybody but it didn't stop me from seeing what happened to that guy a mile away. Literally a level 20 master wizard of poor decisions and one of the reasons why I was wary about Mootmoot because I had a morbid feeling he'd suffer the same fate. :(

I wear all my gear when I do anything and my grocery store is only 500 feet away. It also helps that my suit takes all of 30 seconds to put on. Really, how much is the rest of your life worth? The point is to minimize the chance of injury, not gamble with it.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

The point was that the chaps he was talking about were most likely not any kind of protective gear anyway, but something which would disintegrate at the first touch of asphalt.

I thought chaps only disappeared in darkrooms.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Xovaan posted:

I never wish harm on anybody but it didn't stop me from seeing what happened to that guy a mile away. Literally a level 20 master wizard of poor decisions and one of the reasons why I was wary about Mootmoot because I had a morbid feeling he'd suffer the same fate. :(

I wear all my gear when I do anything and my grocery store is only 500 feet away. It also helps that my suit takes all of 30 seconds to put on. Really, how much is the rest of your life worth? The point is to minimize the chance of injury, not gamble with it.

abunchofnumbers was pretty much headed for that fate. Even after the accident (iirc) he said he had no regrets and would act the same had he been magically given his arm back. He literally had no concept that he could have had just as much fun, been just as awesome without being a complete squid.

That said, sometimes I hang it out and don't wear a jacket or overpants when I ride. I realize I am taking a unnecessary risk but I do it anyway for reasons I can't quite explain.

I do enjoy however people's "gear" that isn't protective at all, like my late uncle's safety yarmulke or his leather jacket and gloves, with no armor and so lightweight they may very well been fashion items. Or my brother-in-law's old jacket with a back protector that was so flexible it may as well have been bubble wrap. It's scary they thought those items might protect them in a crash.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Oh! That does remind me, when my brother went to the New York motorcycle show, he said there was a booth with half helmets and a hand-written sign that said "DOT "Approved"", for like 20 dollars or something like that. As he explained it to me the deal was pretty much you buy these skid lids with DOT on the back for show just so you can get away with not wearing a real helmet in Helmet-law states. Way to keep the fight going for are freedumbs guys.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

He was wearing a helmet; note the total lack of injury to his head, and compare that to everything else.

I don't own a pair of riding pants yet but I do own all the rest of the stuff including knee guards and yes, I do wear all of it every time I ride. YMMV but I found it pretty easy to simply make a habit of putting on everything, never compromising even if it was just a ride around the block, and now I feel actively uncomfortable if I'm missing anything. Try it and see.

Backpanther is a really poor poster boy for ATGATT because he would have lost that arm no matter how much kit he was wearing. His clavicle and arm were completely shattered by hitting the lamp post and that's just plain bad luck (and actually a reason why a lot of motorcycle groups advocate more biker-friendly street furniture).

Armour cannot prevent injuries like that because it's a hyperextension and/or crush injury and there's no way to protect your arm against that sort of injury without making a jacket with arms as inflexible as the ankle on a boot, which is a bit problematic. A friend of mine spent 7 years in an external fixator and eventually lost his leg in a 15mph crash (t-boned by a 4x4 with bull-bars), despite wearing a full suit, in a crash his girlfriend on the pillion seat (in jeans and trainers) walked away from.

I'm not saying wearing good gear isn't a good idea but the totemic power some posters here imbue it with is dangerous.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Indeed. That's why suggestions of wearing gear are usually paired the suggestion to learn on a small starter bike, when dealing with riders like backpanther. That's an objectionable suggestion to some here too, though. His situation had a lot more contributing factors and a jacket wasn't gonna do much, as you said.

Maybe it's just been a trend recently but I feel like I've seen way more people commenting about ATGATTers than posters telling people to ATGATT.

I also don't really know why it's something to complain about. I always wear pants, boots, gloves, jacket, and helmet. I didn't used to, I do now. I'd tell others to do the same. If you don't, fine...."No skin off my back" is the saying I think... Make your point about why you choose to wear the gear you wear and let each other be.

I do think backpanther is important to bring up tho, because someone like Count Moot here:

Philanthropy! posted:

Look, it's a legit point. Pretty much everyone beyond this insular forum doesn't wear the entire rig when they're going to a short journey and TBH I'm sure that the wearisome Pharisees who extoll ATGATT do exactly the same thing IRL.

Besides when I wrote off my Daytona I was wearing shorts, t-shirt and a pair of deck shoes and I was pretty much fine.

Be honest, don't lie to yourself and others - we all know we don't wear full kit for very short trips. I don't know where the consideration that safety zealotry has become attractive comes from.

was probably way closer to being a backpanther than he realizes, regardless of gear.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 27, 2013

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3493762&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=205

There's a lot of dumb poo poo being said in the DnD pictures thread (must post a picture) about helmets.

I usually ride in slacks + a jackets. Deal with it. I've experience the 10/10 scale on the EMT scale so I don't really care(see first post on SA.) Sometimes+combined with teeth - I've felt every level of pain possible.) I even put my bike in the garage w/out a helmet on. Edgy <--- that's me.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I've tripped and fell and it hurt pretty badly so I can't imagine not wearing a helmet while riding even a skateboard

I've experienced 10/10 on the EMT scale too and it wasn't very pleasant to say the least

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
It was a tie between being shot with a .3006 and having the catheter (from the gunshot) pulled out my bladder.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ignoring the obvious inanity of comparing the levels of pain you've experienced through a completely subjective scale, I thought that those pain scales had 10 marked as "the worst pain I have ever felt" and so by definition everyone has experienced a 10/10 at some point in their life. The kid who falls and scrapes his knee for the first time is experiencing a 10, and so is the POW with bamboo shards being shoved under his fingernails.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

thylacine posted:

It was a tie between being shot with a .3006 and having the catheter (from the gunshot) pulled out my bladder.

Do you find your life is only meaningful when it's filled with pain? :v:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Ignoring the obvious inanity of comparing the levels of pain you've experienced through a completely subjective scale, I thought that those pain scales had 10 marked as "the worst pain I have ever felt" and so by definition everyone has experienced a 10/10 at some point in their life. The kid who falls and scrapes his knee for the first time is experiencing a 10, and so is the POW with bamboo shards being shoved under his fingernails.

I had a cable the thickness of a sharpie lodged up my penis to pull out a stent in my ureter and kidney after a year of persistent, chronic kidney infections. It was like having an orgasm in reverse including whatever the feeling opposite of pleasure is that isn't pain. The drainage tube they pulled out of my abdomen for the surgery to put the stent in was 2 feet long and the equivalent of that feeling of pulling spaghetti out of your throat but on crack and steroids and while you're chewing aluminum foil except all of these feelings are centrally located in your gut.

Then again I can't even listen to a Nickelback album all the way through given money on a dare so I don't know what the gently caress v:shobon:v

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

The point wasn't that you haven't experienced pain. I'm sure that hurt a lot. His point was that the number scale is subjective. If you experienced something that hurt worse than that tomorrow, the new experience would be your new 10 and the horrible catheter thing would move to a 9.

There is no good way for one human to communicate a pain level to another human. For all we know, the maximum pain response that my body generates could feel like your body's response for what you'd call a 2.

He wasn't calling you a pansy, just pointing out that the 0 to 10 scale is subjective and only meaningful when you compare your own experiences to each other.

Day Man fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 29, 2013

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah pretty much. Just saying "we'll I've felt a 10 on the pain scale :smug: " is meaningless cause everyone has, by definition. On top of that, there's no real point in comparing pain at all, because I would guess that everyone reacts pretty much the same to "the worst pain I have ever felt," regardless of what the actual stimulus is. You only go "oh, that scraped knee I had when I was 6 wasn't so bad" when you get older and experience something worse. At the time, it's the worst pain in the entire world and anything greater is unfathomable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL4iVQyp9L4

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Even though pain is subjective, I still would not subject anybody to the pain I or thy have gone through. Considering both of our recoveries are pretty identical, I was just giving another side of the perspective on wearing gear. He's fine with a higher risk of wearing less gear, which I'm honestly okay with, but I'm personally not okay with taking that risk myself, having been subjected to a major surgery and high rating on the EMT pain scale. Anything I can do to minimize that risk is, to me, a good thing, and part of that comes from wearing proper gear. Major recoveries from preventable crashes just doesn't have a palatable risk factor now that I know what a major recovery-- in both time and pain-- feels like, and I'd hope other people would take from my experience and apply it to their own risk assessments. :)

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
So I've got Horton's headache.

I especially like these bits;

quote:

Some doctors and scientists have described the pain resulting from cluster headaches as the most intense pain a human can endure — worse than giving birth, burns or broken bones.

quote:

experts have suggested that it may be the most painful condition known to medical science. Female patients have reported it as being more severe than childbirth

I get it behind/in my left eye, and several times I've scratched my left temple hard enough to start bleeding simply from trying to find some crazy way to alleviate the pain and get something else to think about. And that is after I've taken 10mg of Ketobemidone. What I'm saying is basically gently caress pain. Some things you do anything to escape, and I can definitely understand people who cave to torture no matter the consequences to others or themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

My girlfriend used to get cluster headaches. She said at one point she almost fell off her balcony head-first to try and knock herself out. :( I can't remember what the doctor put her on but she hasn't had any since her medication.

Apparently people have taken magic mushrooms and/or LSD and instantly stopped their symptoms, forever. Same with migraines and other forms of chronic headaches. But I'm skeptical because the whole psychonaut community is no better than finding advice through a vbulletin motorcycle community board v:shobon:v

• Locked thread