Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
My tiel is just over 1 year old now. I'm concerned however because her wing feathers aren't growing in symmetrically and I don't know if this is something to be concerned about. As far as I'm aware there is no plucking going on, though her wings were clipped when I got her ~9 months ago.

Here's a picture of what I'm describing. Her right-side wing has 2 longer feathers at the end that the other wing doesn't have. It doesn't appear to affect her flying or anything, just looks a little odd.

And here's a picture of her getting upset that I stopped scratching her neck.

While I'm posting, I might as well also point out that I can't get her to eat vegetables. She only eats a seed diet and occasional spray millet for treats. I have tried mixing veggies in with her seed and feeding only veggies but she won't touch them. Anything else I can try?

The Shep fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
Trauma Tank, where are you? :(

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

My tiel is just over 1 year old now. I'm concerned however because her wing feathers aren't growing in symmetrically and I don't know if this is something to be concerned about. As far as I'm aware there is no plucking going on, though her wings were clipped when I got her ~9 months ago.

Here's a picture of what I'm describing. Her right-side wing has 2 longer feathers at the end that the other wing doesn't have. It doesn't appear to affect her flying or anything, just looks a little odd.

And here's a picture of her getting upset that I stopped scratching her neck.

While I'm posting, I might as well also point out that I can't get her to eat vegetables. She only eats a seed diet and occasional spray millet for treats. I have tried mixing veggies in with her seed and feeding only veggies but she won't touch them. Anything else I can try?

Have you tried feeding her pellets? Veggies are obviously awesome, but if she won't eat those she may go for the zupreem fruit blend pellets which will provide her with some of the nutrients she'd be missing out on. I've never seen a cockatiel turn them down.

If you can switch her over to pellets from seeds it'll be beneficial for her in the long run.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Some pet stores/breeders/sellers/whatever clip only one wing on a bird because it's less time handling the bird and stressing it, but still removes the ability to fly. Probably someone had a brain, saw she was only clipped on one side, and clipped the other to help her keep her balance. My guess is that the first half is growing in and the second will catch up soon. :)

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
Thanks guys, I figured it was nothing to worry about. I'm hesitant to try pellets because the breeder I purchased her from was adamant about not feeding a pellet diet. I will do more research on it, however.

VVV - She gave a number of reasons that I unfortunately don't remember and didn't understand at the time, just made notes of. Should I mix pellets with seeds or serve only one at a time? I'm sure this has all been discussed here before but I don't have search so I'll have to spend some more time on my own reading up on this.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 30, 2012

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Why on earth not?

Horn of Arby's
May 30, 2004
what? no catfood?
I think my head is going to explode. So pardon my rant.

I'm trying to relocate my sweet 11 year old GCC to Hawaii with me. I have a job waiting for me on the other end and nothing pleases me more than the idea of her chowing down on papaya, mango, and enjoying the sun and warmth. Especially after 3 years of chilly Seattle. So I did my research, read up on the (happily short) quarantine, and started looking for cages to cover in mosquito netting.

Now, after pricing everything out and realizing I can't in good faith take her right away since e ddon't have a permanent place to live, it's gotten obscene! $800 for the vet, 450 to board her, 800 for the plane ticket, 225 to put her in the BAGGAGE compartment for Christ's sake, plus taxis and a 3 day off a new job. Not to mention the airline won't accept pets between April 15th and October 15th due to temperature. I love my girl and want to her to be happy and healthy but I've been unemployed for going on 10 months and I can't foot a 2000 dollar transfer bill for her right now. My heart is breaking.

I thought I had this all figured out. :-/

Picture for my ranting.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Thanks guys, I figured it was nothing to worry about. I'm hesitant to try pellets because the breeder I purchased her from was adamant about not feeding a pellet diet. I will do more research on it, however.

VVV - She gave a number of reasons that I unfortunately don't remember and didn't understand at the time, just made notes of. Should I mix pellets with seeds or serve only one at a time? I'm sure this has all been discussed here before but I don't have search so I'll have to spend some more time on my own reading up on this.

She was wrong. Very wrong.

This is going to sound really harsh but it's absolutely true: you are slowly killing your little friend by having them on a seed diet. Eventually she will get fatty liver disease or something else and die. Seeds are a very high fat content diet! You should switch completely off of seeds. Your bird may be rather angry for a bit about this change but high-fat all-seed diets are very bad for parrots and other similar birds.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Yup, that breeder is just flat out wrong. Switch to pellets.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Bear in mind that after living off a seed diet (basically McDonald's for birds) your 'tiel will be turning her beak up at pellets. Just put them in her usual food dish and when she is hungry she'll eat them.

Horn of Arby's, I'm really sorry to hear that. :( What an adorable girl she is! Do you have a friend or family member that can board her for you until you can pay for her journey, perhaps? (edit) Where are you staying once you get there? It sounds as though a lot of that cost can be eliminated if you take her with you now, and many hotels are okay with a small animal for an extra fee. I spent a couple weeks in a hotel in Manhattan with Amadeus, my GCC, last year. The guys at reception loved him.

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 31, 2012

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

I don't have any good advice, Horn of Arby's, but good luck :( Maybe family can help you out?

Today we made the mistake of introducing Ozzy to popcorn. He proceeded to gleefully shred it up and spread it EVERYWHERE. It's in my hair, it's all over the couch. :gonk:

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010
Try offering your bird warm (not HOT) veggies. Zippy often ignores the more nutritious stuff until I serve it to her warm. Broccoli in her dish? No thanks, but warm steamed broccoli from my dinner plate is the best stuff ever.

Making veggies toys can work too. Weaving leafy greens through cage bars worked to get my bird eating them, and she also loves it when I jam the leftover stem-chunk of broccoli or cauliflower on a butter knife and prop in in her cage for chewing. Someone here mentioned hanging a carrot by a string in the cage, that sounds fun too.

The best tip is to just keep offering it. It could take a month or two of tossing a small dish of veggies out every day, but the bird will eventually get curious.

Lenswork fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 31, 2012

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Kenshin posted:

She was wrong. Very wrong.

This is going to sound really harsh but it's absolutely true: you are slowly killing your little friend by having them on a seed diet. Eventually she will get fatty liver disease or something else and die. Seeds are a very high fat content diet! You should switch completely off of seeds. Your bird may be rather angry for a bit about this change but high-fat all-seed diets are very bad for parrots and other similar birds.

Are Nutriberries acceptable? I'm trying to get Hannah off seeds but he didn't really dig the Zupreem pellets. I've bought some small bags of Nutriberries for treats and he loves them. Apparently they can be used to 100% replace seeds. Good idea?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Joe Don Baker posted:

Are Nutriberries acceptable? I'm trying to get Hannah off seeds but he didn't really dig the Zupreem pellets. I've bought some small bags of Nutriberries for treats and he loves them. Apparently they can be used to 100% replace seeds. Good idea?
Unfortunately I'm not the person to ask, Zippy happily eats the TOP Organic Bird Pellets we feed her so we've never had to try any others and I'm not familiar with the nutritional or quality difference between the others.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'd save nutriberries for a treat if you can, I don't know how adequate they are as a complete nutrition source.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Joe Don Baker posted:

Honestly it's a rare bird that would flat-out prefer pellets to seeds. As I said before, one's a diet of burgers and milkshakes and fries, the other's one of tofu and raw veg*. He's going to eat the seeds as long as they're available to him, but if all that's in his dish is pellets he'll adjust. Crankily. And he'll probably throw a lot of it at you. But he'll eat it and grow accustomed to it.

Both of my birds are on pellet diets, with oat sprays and small bird-safe portions of whatever I've made for supper. Nutri-berries are always eagerly received but they're either treats or "vacation diets."

*Nothing against tofu and raw veg, but run with me here!

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Pellets are less popular over here than in the US. Aside from just being ignorant of what a parrots diet should include, one of the arguments is that since we aren't knowledgable enough yet about what each species eats in the wild, we can't possibly hope to replicate it in pellet form. Also, needs vary across species, yet pellets are often sold as a "one fits all" sort of food. Both just pellets or just seeds aren't great as a diet (though seeds are worse), and it seems best to either make your own mixes, or give pellets and seeds, plus vegetables etc. I assume (hope) that breeder was just arguing against a pure pellet diet, otherwise I've no idea.

Horn of Arby's, it could be worth contacting the airlines that will carry animals and ask about getting special permission to take your bird in the cabin as hand luggage.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Battle Pigeon posted:

Horn of Arby's, it could be worth contacting the airlines that will carry animals and ask about getting special permission to take your bird in the cabin as hand luggage.

With how easy it is to get animals onto planes nowadays as "service animals" you could probably work something out.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

Pip pip pip posted:

I don't have any good advice, Horn of Arby's, but good luck :( Maybe family can help you out?

Today we made the mistake of introducing Ozzy to popcorn. He proceeded to gleefully shred it up and spread it EVERYWHERE. It's in my hair, it's all over the couch. :gonk:

This is approximately correct for all conures.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Chili posted:

With how easy it is to get animals onto planes nowadays as "service animals" you could probably work something out.

Yep, all you need is a doctor's note that says your bird is "comforting" enough to make flight easy on you. People do it all the time with dogs, why not birds!

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Horn of Arby's posted:

I think my head is going to explode. So pardon my rant.

I'm trying to relocate my sweet 11 year old GCC to Hawaii with me. I have a job waiting for me on the other end and nothing pleases me more than the idea of her chowing down on papaya, mango, and enjoying the sun and warmth. Especially after 3 years of chilly Seattle. So I did my research, read up on the (happily short) quarantine, and started looking for cages to cover in mosquito netting.

Now, after pricing everything out and realizing I can't in good faith take her right away since e ddon't have a permanent place to live, it's gotten obscene! $800 for the vet, 450 to board her, 800 for the plane ticket, 225 to put her in the BAGGAGE compartment for Christ's sake, plus taxis and a 3 day off a new job. Not to mention the airline won't accept pets between April 15th and October 15th due to temperature. I love my girl and want to her to be happy and healthy but I've been unemployed for going on 10 months and I can't foot a 2000 dollar transfer bill for her right now. My heart is breaking.

I thought I had this all figured out. :-/

Picture for my ranting.

I live just north of Portland in Vancouver, and while I'll have to discuss it with the fiance, we may be able to take her in for a bit. PM me if you'd like.

EDIT: Delta lets you take them on the cabin for like $150 bucks without a note as long as the cage fits under the seat.

Karma Comedian fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Dec 31, 2012

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!

Battle Pigeon posted:

Pellets are less popular over here than in the US. Aside from just being ignorant of what a parrots diet should include, one of the arguments is that since we aren't knowledgable enough yet about what each species eats in the wild, we can't possibly hope to replicate it in pellet form. Also, needs vary across species, yet pellets are often sold as a "one fits all" sort of food. Both just pellets or just seeds aren't great as a diet (though seeds are worse), and it seems best to either make your own mixes, or give pellets and seeds, plus vegetables etc. I assume (hope) that breeder was just arguing against a pure pellet diet, otherwise I've no idea.

How do you replicate a birds diet with the seed packs though? Of course, it varies by size from budgie seed to really big macaw-heres some walnuts and acorns type deal but. I feel like thats more...what cheap humanly available ingredients do we have- rather than catering to a birds dietary needs. And in that case, a lot of birds are like..let me eat these sunflower seeds, millet, and nothing else.

The conure and tiels pretty much get the same food, pellets (harrisons/zupreem) with occasional seed mix that has other dried goodies in it and veg/fruits...doubt its balanced for their species but, it sounds good enough to me :\

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

Hey guys, zomo and I are working on a little project... I thought you would like to see our protagonist!

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Amaya posted:

Hey guys, zomo and I are working on a little project... I thought you would like to see our protagonist!

That is simply amazing. :neckbeard:

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Thats for the one game a month ordeal going on over in Games so hopefully we'll have something concrete to demo at the end of January

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

Amaya posted:

Oh my god this is amazing :3:

Cheeky has his wing feathers growing asymmetrically too, IDK why but I see that with a lot of cockatiels. I think they're just derpy at growing feathers too. :downs:

Yeah for small birds an all seed diet isn't feasible, since most of the seed mixes are packed with millet and other fatty stuff. Maybe what the breeder means is that feeding fresh foods is better than an all pellet diet?

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

Thanks you guys! Here's another:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Malalol posted:

How do you replicate a birds diet with the seed packs though? Of course, it varies by size from budgie seed to really big macaw-heres some walnuts and acorns type deal but. I feel like thats more...what cheap humanly available ingredients do we have- rather than catering to a birds dietary needs. And in that case, a lot of birds are like..let me eat these sunflower seeds, millet, and nothing else.

The conure and tiels pretty much get the same food, pellets (harrisons/zupreem) with occasional seed mix that has other dried goodies in it and veg/fruits...doubt its balanced for their species but, it sounds good enough to me :\

You don't? If you were referring to where I wrote about making your own mixes, I meant the kind made up of seeds, sprouts, beans, pasta, etc. There are those who don't feed pellets, or a seed based diet,and make their own foods. I don't know if its still going but there used to be a yahoo group called... feedingfeathers? that was quite active and was about creating alternatives to pellet or seed bases for a bird's diet, it was pretty good for nutritional information. There was also a bit of information in the 'Parrots for Dummies' book, the author doesn't feed pellets as a large portion of the diet and instead makes her own mixes. I don't have the book here so can't tell you what she put in it, though.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

Dat stumpy tail :3: Please let us know when the game/demo is done. I wanna play that game!

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

I need some guidance. I really really really wanna be that cool (insane) bird lady who takes her conure down to the local bar, but when I put the harness on Novolo, all she does is chew on it and glare at me. She refuses treats or distractions and just sulks and/or tries to get out of it. She squeaks and complains when I'm putting it on her, but once it's on she's quiet and not obviously stressed out (not panting or preening or hiding, just angry and fidgeting with it).

If I can't feed her treats or have her do tricks when she's in it, how do I get her to stop being such a butthead about it? It looks really bad if all she's doing is sitting there trying to get out of her little suit! The local baristas think she's just precious.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I think it's partly down to the bird's personality, and partly just giving them time to get used to it. Ohtori and Steve both would spend half their time trying to remove the harness, but eventually Ohtori grew more interested in the world around him than trying to remove the harness that took him there. He still would pick at it a lot, though.

My partner picked them both up from the vet today, and while I haven't heard any details, apparently Steve is half wild again and Ohtori didn't give two fucks but was very happy to get home and get a bath, then have his pin feathers attended to. :3:

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
I just got my first bird a few days ago. Meet Ducky the Budgie

So far we have discovered that she likes to hang around on her swing upside down and get very loud if there is no-one in the room.

She also got herself stuck in her water bowl today and I had to rescue her. :unsmith:

Edit: stuck count: 3. I think I'm going to have to take the lids off then. I don't want her getting hurt.

Solus fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 1, 2013

Horn of Arby's
May 30, 2004
what? no catfood?

SaNChEzZ posted:

Yep, all you need is a doctor's note that says your bird is "comforting" enough to make flight easy on you. People do it all the time with dogs, why not birds!

That's a genius idea! I'll look into that. So, I really just need to essentially bribe my doctor to sign a note that says she comforts me in flight? Never heard of such a thing.

Hoping to make this work. Just after a few paychecks I guess.

I'll shoot you a pm Wizard of Smart. Thank yoou!

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Amazing aviary made out of an old wardrobe. I need it.

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

"Who needs space for clothes WHEN I HAVE BIRDS?!" -Every bird crazy 2013

(I would do this so fast.)

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Amaya posted:

"Who needs space for clothes WHEN I HAVE BIRDS?!" -Every bird crazy 2013

(I would do this so fast.)

I thought about looking on craigslist for a wardrobe, then remembered that I spent 3 hours cleaning cages this afternoon.

And they're not even that big :(

Then again, I feel like monkeys conures are the only birds that are perpetually making GBS threads all over the sides of the cages because they love to hang instead of perch like normal birds.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Oh no, Zippy realizes the change in our morning routine means we won't be home all day and she's making adorable chirps, whistles, and kissy-noises to try to get us to stay home. :(

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Make her a puzzle toy she only gets when you're leaving to help her not obsess over your departure. I like Busy Buddy, but another quick favorite are timothy hay toys since they hang easily.

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010
That's a great idea! Until I can get to the pet store down the street I have a few things in her busy box I can pull out and modify too. Thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Scout is going to make me go deaf. She picked up a screeching habit from (I think) the African Greys that were boarding at the same time she was. She didn't do this before but now she has taken to peeping really loudly and sometimes she does it on my shoulder. Will she grow out of this or will we have to train it out of her?