Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Kyrosiris posted:

I dunno, I'm pretty sure that Unlimited Indalecio is harder than Gabriela/Iseria. I could be wrong though.

They may be harder but if they are, it's in a different way.

Because I killed both of them without resorting to weird exploitative gimmicks (actually maybe I bubble lotioned the one you summon with the shamisen), but couldn't beat Indalecio even using them.

MrAristocrates posted:

Edit: Though in XII I was stuck for 20 minutes against Zodiark's last few thousand hit points (Palings! :argh:) before it killed me, so I'm used to poo poo like this.

Now this game. I knew how to play this game. The trick to this is to throw a Reflective Mail on somebody and bounce Scathes off them (or have Opal Ring people cast them) when he stops taking damage from physical attacks at all; usually by that point he's in critical range and a few Scathes from high-level characters will kill him. You can dispel his reflect status too, but that takes time you probably won't have and may provoke him into going magic immune for a minute while your goal once he gets <20% should be to finish the fight as quickly as you can (the longer it goes on, the greater the chance that an unlucky Darkja will OHKO your entire active party).

You can also just kill him in one shot with a good enough Quickening chain right before then, where he starts using Palings/Shields, but it's sort of a gamble and if you gently caress it up and drain all your MP you'll need to throw out some MP recovery real quick.

Baku fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 31, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Overbite posted:

That could explain any RPG. Also I thought I was fighting God?

It's literally the case in FFXIII. The ending is the result of the Maker, which has never established any concrete presence in the game up to this point, waving its hand and fixing all the bad problems. It's probably the clearest example of a deus ex machina in the last decade. That is classical deus ex machina right there.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Oxxidation posted:

It's literally the case in FFXIII. The ending is the result of the Maker, which has never established any concrete presence in the game up to this point, waving its hand and fixing all the bad problems. It's probably the clearest example of a deus ex machina in the last decade. That is classical deus ex machina right there.

Too bad there was no way of figuring this out yourself until the sequel came out.

Seriously, I just thought they all went back to normal thanks to the power of friendship or something.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Krad posted:

Seriously, I just thought they all went back to normal thanks to the power of friendship or something.

That's more believable than what they actually come up with at least. It's easier to swallow, storywise.

[e]: Ah, but datalogs. If it's that important it should at least be brought up in conversation or something in the main game.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 31, 2012

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Krad posted:

Too bad there was no way of figuring this out yourself until the sequel came out.

You can figure it out yourself if you check up on the datalogs for Fang's first Ragnarok transformation and notice that everyone's brands are scorched in the ending. But understanding the ending adds nothing of note. Either power-of-friendship or hand of God, they're both terrible resolutions.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I liked the ending after learning the stuff in FF13-2, just for the fact that for once, a god intervening fucks up everything.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Pesky Splinter posted:

[e]: Ah, but datalogs. If it's that important it should at least be brought up in conversation or something in the main game.
VVV

Yeah, given his negativity about it I don't think Oxxidation disagrees with you. And it's a totally valid point. The game is dozens of hours long and half of that time is spent watching cutscenes and absorbing dialogue. That you're expected to delve into ancillary materials to even really understand what's happening is a failure on the writers' part even if you enjoy the game they made and the story they're telling.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Yeah, given his negativity about it I don't think Oxxidation disagrees with you. And it's a totally valid point. The game is dozens of hours long and half of that time is spent watching cutscenes and absorbing dialogue. That you're expected to delve into ancillary materials to even really understand what's happening is a failure on the writers' part even if you enjoy the game they made and the story they're telling.

There is a cutscene where Fang brings up her scorched mark, but I'm pretty sure it's around chapter 9-10, where the story falls apart even more completely than before and robs anyone with sense of their ability to give a poo poo about what's happening anymore.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Toriyama is just a remarkably bad writer. After The Third Birthday his writing should be banned under the Geneva Convention.

Donnor
Aug 24, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

FFIII. After wiping out in the final dungeon a couple of times, you kind of just turn off the game for a while.

I even endured through that dungeon the several times I needed too. Any other time I'll say gently caress it, but if I'm at the end I need to get through it.

Renoistic posted:

I'd say it's one of the hardest bosses in the series. It's especially frustrating since you have several fights before it with no chance of saving in-between. Your choice of monster allies is vital!

I found the behemoth type monster in the final dungeon much harder than the final boss. I couldn't even last a few rounds against it and it was in a spot that made him really difficult to avoid. Eventually I got lucky and got past, but man...

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Yeah, given his negativity about it I don't think Oxxidation disagrees with you.

Oh yeah, I know he dislikes it too. I meant it more in the ":argh: only explained in the loving supplimentary poo poo" type thing.

ImpAtom posted:

Toriyama is just a remarkably bad writer. After The Third Birthday his writing should be banned under the Geneva Convention.

His problem is that he likes to write these really "complex" plots in an attempt to make the story seem deeper or cleverer than it is, but fails, because he either relies too heavily on the player reading supplimentary poo poo to understand what is going on, or is just telling a very simple story, in a needlessly complicated way.

Dissidia's a good example. All the plot needed to be was "Goddess of Order and God of Chaos use pawns to fight for crystals on their behalf." Done.

Instead we got "Chaos is actually the ultimate weapon built in a parallel FF1 by Onrac and is controlled by a manikin clone of FF1's Cid's wife, and is teleported to another world or some poo poo, while Cid makes a pact with Shinryu and loses his body, only for an identical manikin to form his own body and, and Chaos isn't actually Garland or whatever, but Garland will become him, and everything is a test for Chaos as the ultimate weapon and-"
:psypop:

It's so unnecessary.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 31, 2012

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Pesky Splinter posted:

Instead we got "Chaos is actually the ultimate weapon built in a parallel FF1 by Onrac and is controlled by a manikin clone of FF1's Cid's wife, and is teleported to another world or some poo poo, while Cid makes a pact with Shinryu and loses his body, only for an identical manikin to form his own body and, and Chaos isn't actually Garland or whatever, but Garland will become him, and everything is a test for Chaos as the ultimate weapon and-"
:psypop:

It's so unnecessary.

Wait. Is this real? When did that happen? I can't tell if this is a joke or not. I guess this proves that Toriyama really is the worst writer in the history of videogames. :eng99:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Oh, it's real.

As per usual, it's explained in the supplimentary stuff (the Chaos and Cosmos reports the player gets at various times), with some fragments coming from the bonus campaign.

Here's Chaos' bio from Dissidia :siren: Spoilers, obviously.:siren:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 31, 2012

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Krad posted:

Wait. Is this real? When did that happen? I can't tell if this is a joke or not. I guess this proves that Toriyama really is the worst writer in the history of videogames. :eng99:

I haven't played Dissidia but I'm almost certain it's real. Toriyama has a great big crush on time travel but not the least idea of how to make it work, which is a match made in hell.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Krad posted:

It's the short version, actually.

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Oxxidation posted:

Actually, it's Etro, not the Maker itself.
And the characters being 'warriors for the gods', it's quite justified (to boot, it's not even needed to resolve the plot, since it fixes an ad-hoc created problem for the god to resolve and not the general plot direction)

Plus, you're not going to shy away the title from ME3 ending.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Dissidia's story can only hurt you if you let it. Don't let it hurt you. Ignore it and just embrace the goodness Dissidia has given us:

PS they forgot to mention that the clone of Cid is the Warrior of Light, just in case you thought they couldn't find a way to poo poo up FF1's plot even more.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain

TurnipFritter posted:

Dissidia's story can only hurt you if you let it. Don't let it hurt you. Ignore it and just embrace the goodness Dissidia has given us:

This character design doesn't bug me too much and I'm guessing that's because it's simple compared to other Square-Enix designs (like Lightning's latest costume). It's just an snazzy shirt, a sash belt, some pants, and some awesome boots. Plus, Bartz is the kind of guy that can pull the look off.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Eggie posted:

This character design doesn't bug me too much and I'm guessing that's because it's simple compared to other Square-Enix designs (like Lightning's latest costume). It's just an snazzy shirt, a sash belt, some pants, and some awesome boots. Plus, Bartz is the kind of guy that can pull the look off.

Look at that face. He's fabulous as hell and he does not give a poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eggie posted:

That's the point. That is his Dancer costume from FFV.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kyrosiris posted:

I dunno, I'm pretty sure that Unlimited Indalecio is harder than Gabriela/Iseria. I could be wrong though.
It's hard to say for sure, but I think Iselia Queen is tougher just because she has a block counter. You can pound away at Limiter-Off Indalecio as much as you like without fear of getting blasted with a spray of stars that do max damage on the lowest difficulty, but if you try to do some poo poo like spam Pillory or Hurricane on Iselia, you're in for a nasty surprise.

That said, I beat Limiter-Off Indalecio twice without the Invincible Chisato combo by using stunlock items to get a hit or two in with Claude and timing Ashton's Tri-Ace to cancel his casting, and I swear never again god drat.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Dec 31, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
For as much poo poo as I give Dissidia's story, the game is fun as gently caress, and full of wonderful things like Dancer Bartz, old-style Warrior of Light and Cloudsea Djinn Garland.

Yessssss.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Dissidia also gave great vocals to the various bad dudes that were previously un-voiced, they basically nailed every voice-actor for the entirety of Team Chaos.

Also the interactions between the characters were really well-done when they weren't talking about the insane plot. Cecil and Golbez got some nice moments, so did Tidus and Jecht. Gilgamesh and Kefka talking with anyone was always great too.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
A voiced Laguna was also a joy to have and really just makes me wish FF8 was just about him, Kiros, and Ward even harder than I had before Dissidia 012. The dude is just so upbeat and care-free. A modern day Bartz.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Skaw posted:

A voiced Laguna was also a joy to have and really just makes me wish FF8 was just about him, Kiros, and Ward even harder than I had before Dissidia 012. The dude is just so upbeat and care-free. A modern day Bartz.

and his theme music is pretty much the best track in the whole series

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
So I've been playing FFTA--with no laws, of course--and reading up on class abilities and level up bonuses and poo poo when I inevitably came across some official art.

Who the gently caress greenlit this for a children's game? I mean, I'm highly amused by it, but still.

v I'm just frustrated very easily and can't be arsed to pay attention to five different laws at once that each require me to pay 20000 gil to get one guy out of prison just because I had a lapse of memory and cast Blizzard at the very end of a fight, thanks.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 31, 2012

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

If you cheat to remove the laws in FFTA you are weak. :colbert:

It's not like the game's very hard anyways.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Dr Pepper posted:

If you cheat to remove the laws in FFTA you are weak. :colbert:

It's not like the game's very hard anyways.

Yeah, it's not about difficulty it's about removing a stupid fun-hindering thing that shouldn't even be there.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.
So am I the only person who actually enjoyed building a team versatile enough to get around any law they could throw at me?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Vittles posted:

So am I the only person who actually enjoyed building a team versatile enough to get around any law they could throw at me?

No, I did too. I prefer having challenges instead of setting up one team which obliterates everything ever without me even having to consider who I'm going to bring. The laws weren't perfect but the game would have been even more boring without them.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Captain Vittles posted:

I certainly enjoyed it, but I'd have been doing that regardless, and punishment-only mechanics like the laws in FFTA are a real downer.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Captain Vittles posted:

The only law that really, really bothered me was Dmg2 Animals or something like that during random encounters.

Yeah, penalize me for doing damage to the opposite team. Good going, game. :thumbsup:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It's a wonder someone never took hexedit (or whatever they use to edit hack GBA Roms) to the game to remove the whole stupid to-do.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

That's what the Beastmaster's for. :colbert:

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Krad posted:

The only law that really, really bothered me was Dmg2 Animals or something like that during random encounters.

Yeah, penalize me for doing damage to the opposite team. Good going, game. :thumbsup:

There's also that "No Missing" law in the second game. I ended up ignoring that Law, because I just couldn't get the RNG to cooperate with me at all.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Mill Village posted:

There's also that "No Missing" law in the second game. I ended up ignoring that Law, because I just couldn't get the RNG to cooperate with me at all.

At least with FFTA2 the entire law system is a lot more lenient. None of this jail crap and stat penalties. Being able to gather select-able perks for obeying the law was much more tolerable than FFTA1's system.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

ConanThe3rd posted:

It's a wonder someone never took hexedit (or whatever they use to edit hack GBA Roms) to the game to remove the whole stupid to-do.

They did.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

I'd say the mass effect 3 ending is exactly the same in this regard.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
Some new details about Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII have been revealed.

The Examiner posted:

Unlike FFXIII and FFXIII-2 where to stagger an enemy all you had to do was fill up an enemy's chain gauge, this time you have to fulfill a bunch of other conditions besides that.
This time there are no QTEs.
Lightning's growth is tied to completing the quests you get from people in-game. From battles you get components to make new equipment and points to alter the amount of available time before the end.

That stagger system could be cool. It could also become a problem when you got to do five things to stagger enemies.
No QTEs? I'm down. I can't think of a game that benefited from QTEs and it's comforting to hear LR:FF13 is moving away from that.
Leveling up through quests sounds interesting enough.

The article links to a post on the Neogaf forums with some information translated from a Famitsu article.

Famitsu posted:

-Chocolina is in the game to support the player but in a different role than the one she had in FFXIII-2.
-While Lightning's FFXIII-2 outfit was designed by Kamikokuryo, the new one is by Tetsuya Nomura. Toriyama wanted to emphasize the red and white present in Lightning's FFXIII outift, and using that as a base the new one was born.
-In this game, once the game begins the world ends in 13 days, but coinciding with its end is also the birth of a new world. Lightning's task as a "liberator/releaser of souls" is to guide them to the new world.
-The people of Luxerion quietly await the end, however, a bunch of serial murders start happening, these are apparently committed by a group of people who oppose Bhunivelze's creed.
-As previously stated, each of the game's four continents has its own concept associated with it. Luxerion's is "murder", because they wanted it to have a mystery component aimed at slightly more mature audiences.
-While people know the world is coming to end, they don't know only 13 days remain.
-Chocobos are still in and you still can ride them.
-New equipment can be bought from the various vendors in the game, or made if you have the right components.
-Apparently "decorations" like the sunglasses Lightning is seen with in the latest trailer are in the game.

My favourite part:

Famitsu posted:

-Lightning's clothes are the clothes of a soul liberator, and the clothes and task are given by Bhunivelze. That's because while the "crystal myth" involves many gods, out of the ones that are concerned in the "Lightning Saga", Bhunivelze is the only one who hasn't made an appearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So this is just Valkyrie Profile: Lightning then?

.. man, I'd be more excited if it actually was that.