Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greenman100
Aug 13, 2006

devians posted:

greenman100, I'm keen enough to pick up one of the 4 you're selling for our hackerspace if you're still selling.

Tried to pm you but no dice :(

Email is easier for me if that works for you. Elmoret at gmail. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
I noticed the Printrbot people have set up a new Kickstarter for the Printrbot Jr., offering a discount in hopes of getting people to buy them to donate to schools:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/printrbot/printrbot-jr-your-kids-first-3d-printer?ref=live

That had me wondering: Is it at all possible to print small, relatively simple parts in ABS without a heated bed? I've seen a couple posts in various forums which imply it might be, and it would be nice to have something as small and inexpensive as the Printrbot Jr. (seeing as I don't plan on printing anything particularly large or detailed).

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Cockmaster posted:

Is it at all possible to print small, relatively simple parts in ABS without a heated bed?

Small simple stuff is ALL I was able to reliably print without a heated bed :v:

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Ahhhhhhh, finally pre-ordered my B9 creator! Pretty excited, he says the next set will ship out mid-late January.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I thought I'd come and semi-drunk post in here.

I was just at a gathering, where a friend said:

Crazy engineering student friend posted:

You guys should come over for coffee sometime. Sorry we can't have you over for dinner. We built a 3D printer and it's occupying the dinner table.

I figured it might be appreciated.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

That's OK, when they get it fixed up they'll print themselves another table.

Impact Damage
Mar 1, 2007

Try to avoid these conditions as much as possible.
I just came across this article on Core77 which is admittedly a little old but covers various metal printing techniques that I never knew existed:

http://www.core77.com/blog/digital_fabrication/watch_and_learn_theres_more_than_one_way_to_additively_manufacture_a_metal_23236.asp

Electron Beam Melting?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jqjD-FWMexo

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Definitely saw better light shows at burning man, but creativity makes me give it a B+.

What do you guys think about this roundup of a few sub $1300 extruders? http://hothardware.com/Reviews/The-Definitive-3D-Printer-Roundup-Cubify-Up-Solidoodle

Solidoodle is looking pretty competitive at $599 ($499 without heated build platform just doesn't seem worth it)

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
So, what happens with the Form1 labs printer? Their site and kickstarter acknowledges the lawsuit but it also kinda looks like business as usual in the meantime.

Does no injunction mean Form1 labs just rolls along as usual until something legal otherwise, or what?

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Fatal posted:

Solidoodle is looking pretty competitive at $599 ($499 without heated build platform just doesn't seem worth it)

Except for the fact that it has no SD card slot, so anything that goes wrong with your computer can screw up whatever's printing. To hell with that.

Make magazine just put out their 3D printer buyer's guide. They named the Printrbot LC the best sub-$1000 printer among the ones they reviewed.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Cockmaster posted:

Except for the fact that it has no SD card slot, so anything that goes wrong with your computer can screw up whatever's printing. To hell with that.

Have you ever had trouble with that? I used to use my laptop for printing, but recently I decided to string a longer USB cable to my desktop and print from there.

I printed all forty hours of that Alexander the Great bust while computing normally without issue. (well, except for the running-out-of-filament-part-way issue :) )

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Yeah, I have literally never encountered that as an issue in any print whatsoever.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

Cockmaster posted:

Make magazine just put out their 3D printer buyer's guide. They named the Printrbot LC the best sub-$1000 printer among the ones they sell.

Fixed that for you. Honestly I have hard time respecting their ranking as anything other than a buying guide for their store.

The manufacturing nerd in me is intrigued with the delta style bots such as the Rocstock Max @ http://shop.seemecnc.com/

nogthree
Jun 28, 2008

Fatal posted:

Fixed that for you. Honestly I have hard time respecting their ranking as anything other than a buying guide for their store.

The manufacturing nerd in me is intrigued with the delta style bots such as the Rocstock Max @ http://shop.seemecnc.com/

Another member at my local hackerspace and I are currently assembling the parts to make a Rostock Max based on Makerslide extrusion and an mxl belt assembly (Bart Dring loves the stuff and I can see why.)

When we finally get the parts together I'll make sure to post a trip report in here for you.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
How stupid was I to pre-order a Makibox A6?

The guy was hilariously optimistic originally in figuring he would build his own 3d printer in something like March and have it done in May. Now here we are in December and the Alpha is almost done.

Impact Damage
Mar 1, 2007

That Rocstock Max design looks really interesting, I've got a lot more vertical space than desktop space. How would you go about calibrating it since it seems you'd need to adjust the steps/mm on all the steppers at once for a given direction? What kind of quirks does that method have? Is it tricky to keep each layer completely planar?

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Squibbles posted:

The guy was hilariously optimistic originally in figuring he would build his own 3d printer in something like March and have it done in May. Now here we are in December and the Alpha is almost done.

Wasn't he loving around with direct pellet extruders for a couple months, just a little while ago? I figured he must have been done with his bot if he'd moved on to that.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Obsurveyor posted:

Wasn't he loving around with direct pellet extruders for a couple months, just a little while ago? I figured he must have been done with his bot if he'd moved on to that.

Yes, yes he was. Apparently he's now quietly reverted to a wire feed system or something though.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

nogthree posted:

Another member at my local hackerspace and I are currently assembling the parts to make a Rostock Max based on Makerslide extrusion and an mxl belt assembly (Bart Dring loves the stuff and I can see why.)

When we finally get the parts together I'll make sure to post a trip report in here for you.

Please do, I just found out about a bunch of end of the year $ I wasn't expecting which makes a 3d printer in my near future.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Squibbles posted:

Yes, yes he was. Apparently he's now quietly reverted to a wire feed system or something though.

I certainly can't imagine making a pellet feed system being practical for a small machine, especially one that's supposed to sell for only $300 with a heated bed.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Cockmaster posted:

I certainly can't imagine making a pellet feed system being practical for a small machine, especially one that's supposed to sell for only $300 with a heated bed.

I think he still claims to be working on it and may include it as an addon at a later date. Communication is an issue for them it seems because info seems to come in dribs and drabs through various forum posts and blog comments rather than being officially announced. Wee

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Huh, according to an email I got from Makibox:

- They plan to have Beta MakiBoxes rolling out over the next two weeks, and then to transition to production of the final V1 design in early January.
- Supposedly they will now have the standard version "Makibox A6 HT" and also a new LT version which is the same but without a heated bed and it's going to be only $200.
- They are going to sell a stand-alone pellet->filament extruder for $160 or $100 if you order a printer at the same time.

Hopefully the thing isn't a total piece of poo poo :o:

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

I'm ready for the zombie invasion, are you?
Has anyone build a printer that uses powdered sugar as either a print or support medium? Suddenly seems to me like it might be pretty ideal.

Low melting point roughly in line with existing FDM processes
VERY cheap material
Extremely fine
Water Soluble.
Extremely light

Second question:
Has anyone using a makergear extruder done polycarbonate or nylon- they both use higher tempratures then the designers intended for you to do and I'd prefer not to break my print head on an experiment, but being able to print nylon would be excellent (doubly so because some local plastic shops CAN make up 1.75mm nylon for me, which would actually make it cost competitive to PLA that has to be shipped from china.

Side note:
I have encountered problems related to print over USB- however they were my laptops problems, not the printer's problems. Another one was a failure due to a certain small someone pulling the USB cord out and then trying to eat it. Still, I prefer to have the card loaded into the printer because it reduces the avenues for failure.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Linux Assassin posted:

Has anyone build a printer that uses powdered sugar as either a print or support medium? Suddenly seems to me like it might be pretty ideal.

Low melting point roughly in line with existing FDM processes
VERY cheap material
Extremely fine
Water Soluble.
Extremely light

Second question:
Has anyone using a makergear extruder done polycarbonate or nylon- they both use higher tempratures then the designers intended for you to do and I'd prefer not to break my print head on an experiment, but being able to print nylon would be excellent (doubly so because some local plastic shops CAN make up 1.75mm nylon for me, which would actually make it cost competitive to PLA that has to be shipped from china.

Side note:
I have encountered problems related to print over USB- however they were my laptops problems, not the printer's problems. Another one was a failure due to a certain small someone pulling the USB cord out and then trying to eat it. Still, I prefer to have the card loaded into the printer because it reduces the avenues for failure.
http://candyfab.org/

These were some of the first hobby printers I remember ever seeing, predating makerbot and maybe even reprap.

As far as I know they use granulated but not powdered sugar. Powdered sugar is not pure, and contains corn starch i believe to prevent caking. This would probably make printing with it difficult.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

Is there a definitive 3d printing forum out there? Not having much luck finding *the one*

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Fatal posted:

Is there a definitive 3d printing forum out there? Not having much luck finding *the one*

Nope. 3D printing forums tend to split along machine/community lines, because much of the discussion comes from oh-god-it-isn't-working questions.

#reprap on Freenode is pretty lively if you want to chat with people who have a big variety of hardware.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Makibox has their official store up now:
http://makibox.com/products

Shipping seems a little pricey, at least for a printer + extruder + 4kg of filament. It was something like $170 to Canada.

edit: Filament is pretty darn cheap though at $16/kg. Not sure if the shipping is low enough to make that a good buy for anyone though.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

techknight posted:

Nope. 3D printing forums tend to split along machine/community lines, because much of the discussion comes from oh-god-it-isn't-working questions.

#reprap on Freenode is pretty lively if you want to chat with people who have a big variety of hardware.

That's all I've found, too bad really. A single forum with a large diverse userbase is so much better than a bunch of low post count circle jerk ones.

^^^ I'm sorry but this http://makibox.com/details/product/ramen_kit does not exactly instill confidence.

Fatal fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 24, 2012

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

Fatal posted:

That's all I've found, too bad really. A single forum with a large diverse userbase is so much better than a bunch of low post count circle jerk ones.

^^^ I'm sorry but this http://makibox.com/details/product/ramen_kit does not exactly instill confidence.
Hey, man, by not using drafting software or even a rudimentary straightedge, they're passing the savings onto you!

greenman100
Aug 13, 2006
So I actually made one that works, and isn't just a drawing in a notebook, and I have no idea how they're going to pull it off for $150 with two motors and actually make any money. I spent a lot of time designing for cost, and the total cost is parts is about $150.

http://www.soliforum.com/post/6154/#p6154

Also, exciting news - one of the beta testers experimented with master batch. Works fine.

greenman100 fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Dec 25, 2012

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

Been following that thread, exciting stuff!

Korovyev
Feb 14, 2005

Nothing like a good cup of graphite in the morning
Dearest Goons, I am at an impasse.
http://www.wired.com/design/2012/12/3-d-printing-cookie-cutters/
After seeing this article on the success of MLP cookie cutters, I know that there is a serious hole in the costume community that I'd like to help with. I've been doing Cosplay for the past 10 years or so, and while sewing is great, I have much more fun making props and accessories.

Having spent most of my Christmas vacation researching 3d printers, I'm now between the Solidoodle v3 or the Makerbot Replicator, either v1 or v2.

My question is this- do I go the entry level route with the Solidoodle, with its 8-10 week lead time and lower price. Or- do I make a more hefty investment with the Replicator which appears to be easier to use and get going. And at that point, should I worry about the humidity(living in San Francisco) and go with the V2 and just loose on the lack of ABS support.

I'd like something that's reasonably fast, can do a good amount of detail, and doesn't require a massive amount of electronic know how to maintain. Any input would be much appreciated!!

greenman100
Aug 13, 2006
Solidoodle support is abysmal. That's all I have to say.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Korovyev posted:

Dearest Goons, I am at an impasse.
http://www.wired.com/design/2012/12/3-d-printing-cookie-cutters/
After seeing this article on the success of MLP cookie cutters, I know that there is a serious hole in the costume community that I'd like to help with. I've been doing Cosplay for the past 10 years or so, and while sewing is great, I have much more fun making props and accessories.

Having spent most of my Christmas vacation researching 3d printers, I'm now between the Solidoodle v3 or the Makerbot Replicator, either v1 or v2.

My question is this- do I go the entry level route with the Solidoodle, with its 8-10 week lead time and lower price. Or- do I make a more hefty investment with the Replicator which appears to be easier to use and get going. And at that point, should I worry about the humidity(living in San Francisco) and go with the V2 and just loose on the lack of ABS support.

I'd like something that's reasonably fast, can do a good amount of detail, and doesn't require a massive amount of electronic know how to maintain. Any input would be much appreciated!!

I've personally seen the 100mm/sec prints from a Replicator 1, and I can say they are simply stunning. They're on par with the Up!.

foosel
Apr 2, 2010

Korovyev posted:

Given these requirements, why have you excluded the Ultimaker from your options? It certainly is fast, has a great resolution and build volume and the electronics come preassembled, so the only thing you need to kmow how to do electronics-wise is how to plug things in sockets. It also allows you to print ABS if you want (however I'm so far pretty happy with PLA). They also sell fully assembled kits now, if you prefer something you don't have to (mechanic-wise) build yourself. However, I found the building process not only fun but quite valuable for the needed maintenance - I know every bolt in my machine, that certainly is a plus.

However, if you also want something like a heated bed (as I have heard a definitive plus for printing ABS, I haven't missed one yet with PLA) or something less DIY-y, ignore me :)

Impact Damage
Mar 1, 2007

So I was inspired by the folks in the Lego thread to download the Lego Digital Designer program and have been playing around with it. It uses proprietary .LDD files and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience converting those files into into .STL's. I think building in LDD is fun and it's definitely accessible to people who don't have any experience modeling so it'd be great to have my friends and younger siblings build something in that and have me print them out for them. Plus if everything is calibrated correctly I could potentially add onto them with real Lego pieces. Any ideas on how to approach it?

Korovyev
Feb 14, 2005

Nothing like a good cup of graphite in the morning

foosel posted:

Given these requirements, why have you excluded the Ultimaker from your options? It certainly is fast, has a great resolution and build volume and the electronics come preassembled...
I had been seriously considering the Ultimaker but I'm not aware of a US distributor so the assembled kit with shipping is more than the Replicator 2- at $2,380. Euro and shipping is killer! I'd have to get a kit for $1700 and then venture into sealing/painting the wooden body to avoid moisture issues from living in a fairly humid environment.

It looks like a fantastic machine, I just want something with as few headaches as possible. And the option of the Makerbot service plan is nice. It might not be worth the $$ but it gives me peace of mind that I won't have to stress over any dumb beginners mistake I might make. I'm going for easy here! And hopefully my items are wildly successful and I can use my profits for a Rep 2x whenever it comes out.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Korovyev posted:

And the option of the Makerbot service plan is nice. It might not be worth the $$ but it gives me peace of mind that I won't have to stress over any dumb beginners mistake I might make. I'm going for easy here!

Just be aware that these things aren't to consumer appliance black box status yet and, propaganda notwithstanding, you will have to spend a lot of care and feeding time getting it working and keeping it running. You can't get it fixed without knowing anything about how it works; even with the service plan Makerbot will give you the parts and tell you what to do but it will still be you turning the screws - unless you have some friends locally who will do it for you (in which case they can probably give you better advice and support than anyone else by remote control).

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
It's true that no 3d printing is at the level of "appliance" yet but the replicator seems closest. I am someone who is perfectly technical and does electronics and mechanicals for a living, but I am FAR more interested in the end results than using my printer as a fiddle-box. I built and have repaired my original makerbot multiple times. Being cutting edge and tweaking and all that jazz with a 3d printer is just not what I choose to spend my time on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mister Sinewave posted:

It's true that no 3d printing is at the level of "appliance" yet but the replicator seems closest. I am someone who is perfectly technical and does electronics and mechanicals for a living, but I am FAR more interested in the end results than using my printer as a fiddle-box. I built and have repaired my original makerbot multiple times. Being cutting edge and tweaking and all that jazz with a 3d printer is just not what I choose to spend my time on.

I don't disagree, but I also believe there's still enough gap between "closest to appliance" and "Star Trek Replicator" (and Makerbot calling it the Replicator honestly isn't helping) that you can get the wrong idea really quickly.