Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011

Fangz posted:

Okay, I rather urgently need a suggestion for a game that is

- Multiplayer on the same keyboard
- Not very complicated
- Teenage boy friendly
- Hopefully free and/or cheap.

O save me, guys!

Had plenty of fun with Heroes of Might and Magic 3 as a kid, 5 is also pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Do any goons still play Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Coca Koala posted:

GoG reminded me of Machinarium and Botanicula, but the Wadjet games are windows only. It's too bad, because they're fun. Deponia runs on mac, though, so thanks for that one!

Whoops, I missed the Mac part. Sorry!

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

This is probably an easy one, but I've been finding a bunch of flash games that are obviously (something)-likes, but I have no idea what that original game is that they're all based on. It's the setup where you start with almost nothing, and then work trade routes, buying and selling commodities, trading up for better vehicles, hiring people to help you, and defending yourself along the way. Anyone know the progenitor game here, or the best example of this type?

Also, any general recommendations for open-ended games where you work yourself up from nothing without being The Chosen One or having any kind of prophesy behind you would be welcome.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Nolanar posted:

This is probably an easy one, but I've been finding a bunch of flash games that are obviously (something)-likes, but I have no idea what that original game is that they're all based on. It's the setup where you start with almost nothing, and then work trade routes, buying and selling commodities, trading up for better vehicles, hiring people to help you, and defending yourself along the way. Anyone know the progenitor game here, or the best example of this type?
Those are called tycoon games, there is a whole list of them here. It kind of depends on what era (industrial, modern, the age of explorers, futuristic, etc.) or geographic location you're interested in, but you can't really go wrong with checking out some of the most popular ones like the Anno, Sim X, Theme X, Tropico and X Tycoon series, as well as Patrician, Port Royale, The Movies...

Scambl
Jun 1, 2007

Anything you can do, Neil Gaiman can do better.

Nolanar posted:

Also, any general recommendations for open-ended games where you work yourself up from nothing without being The Chosen One or having any kind of prophesy behind you would be welcome.

The Age of Empires series is good. I enjoy AoE 3 a lot, but some people hate that one and say that 2 is the best. Check out some reviews and stuff and see what you think.
Also, maybe it's because I have a 12 year old trapped inside of me, but I really enjoy the Roller Coaster Tycoon games.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Yeah, I'm actually a big fan of tycoon games (especially the Roller Coaster Tycoon series and the Caesar/Pharaoh games), but it's not quite what I was getting at. I really should have worded it better. The big thing I missed is that you play as one of the traveling merchants, rather than managing a trade post or other fixed site. You buy commodities low in one town/space station/whatever, sell them high at another, and try not to die on the way.

The flash games I've found are stuff like Caravaneer and Frontier, if that makes it clearer.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Nolanar posted:

Are you thinking of the Escape Velocity games? Or Gazillionaire?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Are there actually any good flash-based tycoon games out there? I loved Roller Coaster tycoon and whatnot, and would love to have something to poke around with while I'm away from my gaming PC.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Nolanar posted:

Yeah, I'm actually a big fan of tycoon games (especially the Roller Coaster Tycoon series and the Caesar/Pharaoh games), but it's not quite what I was getting at. I really should have worded it better. The big thing I missed is that you play as one of the traveling merchants, rather than managing a trade post or other fixed site. You buy commodities low in one town/space station/whatever, sell them high at another, and try not to die on the way.

The flash games I've found are stuff like Caravaneer and Frontier, if that makes it clearer.

You might like the Tradewinds games. They're on Steam, among other places.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Fangz posted:

Are you thinking of the Escape Velocity games? Or Gazillionaire?

Escape velocity looks like exactly what I mean, yeah. Thanks! Turns out adding "in space" to what I wanted is a whole genre (Freelancer, X, Star Citizen...)

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nolanar posted:

Escape velocity looks like exactly what I mean, yeah. Thanks! Turns out adding "in space" to what I wanted is a whole genre (Freelancer, X, Star Citizen...)

That particular genre tends to be called "Space sims" since they aren't strictly trade-based (although trade is one way to make a lot of money).

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Nolanar posted:

You might try Patrician III which is set in the Baltic Sea circa 1300, it has less focus on warfare and more on economic development (goods trading & production, fleet management, city construction). There are frequent naval skirmishes (1-2 ships per side) and rare battles (20+ ships per side) which you can control directly or let the AI handle. It is an old game but runs fine in XP compatibility mode although resolution is capped at 1280 x 1024. Gameplay screenshots of mine on Imgur.

It also takes forever to actually win a game if you set high goals: I have 160+ hours into my current game but am not even halfway towards the goal of a 200k region population.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Wandering Orange posted:

You might try Patrician III

There's also Patrician IV which is the same thing but newer! It wasn't terribly popular (Why don't more people want to trade things :smith:) so it's not too expensive, and the expansion adds a lot of land based stuff.

--

I'm curious about computer-based card collecting games. I used to really like Etherlords but it had a lot of balance flaws, and of course I loved the old Microprose version of Magic the Gathering where you'd run around battling things and stealing their cards.

Does anyone have recommendations for a card collecting style game (doesn't have to be exactly cards, whatever. And I've already played Pokemon!) either computer software, online, browser, whatever. The DS might be an okay platform too.
I would prefer if combat wasn't the only way to collect but that seems unlikely. But I'm not interested if the combat is only multi-player with no robust single player options (like every single browser based card game I've seen so far :/)

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Tagra posted:

There's also Patrician IV which is the same thing but newer! It wasn't terribly popular (Why don't more people want to trade things :smith:) so it's not too expensive, and the expansion adds a lot of land based stuff.

If we're talking Patrician it might also be worth mentioning the Port Royale series, which is basically Patrician in the Caribbean. There's a little more depth to the naval combat with privateer missions you can go on for various nations, piracy, land invasions of towns, etc, but otherwise it has the same basic idea behind it as Patrician. The first two are available on GOG for cheap and the third, which is relatively new, is on Steam. The third is less popular for a lot of the same reasons that Patrician IV wasn't as popular as its predecessors, but it does allow you to customize trade route AI in ways that none of the other games do, reducing micromanagement by quite a lot.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Port Royale 3 is a Gamersgate deal of the day right now - 75% off.

A Bad Place
May 25, 2008
I'm in need of a fun, dad-friendly co-op/multiplayer game that my pops and I can sink a few weeks/months into. We've both been terrible nerdy gamer people for years, and cut our co-op teeth on Phantasy Star Online way back in the day, and it's still the golden ideal. With the recent explosion of free MMOs we both thought it would be fun to revisit the old ways, and it's been great so far. We put a ton of hours (and shameful amounts of cash :gonk:) into Dungeons and Dragons Online before eventually moving on to Guild Wars 2, Spiral Knights, a few awful KMMOs, and most recently Borderlands 2, which has been a huge hit. We've just about worn it out though, so I turn now to goons for guidance :). Preferences go something like this:

-While we're not necessarily huge fans of MMORPG game conventions in particular, we're both suckers for deep character customization (both cosmetically and skill/combat/whatever-wise) and they're usually pretty good at scratching that itch. It's not absolutely necessary, but it would be a huge plus. We both like playing pretty princess, what can you do :shobon:

-We both tend to prefer more actiony combat stuff to the slower or grindy auto-attacking hotbar-tending games. Dad in particular has basically no patience for menu-based tedium, and prefers to just jump into things - in DDO he liked the Barbarian class best because it minimized the amount of buttons he had to press in order to gently caress up monsters. Even Guild Wars 2 was almost too thoughtful for him. He loves the action in Borderlands 2, and it's cool to see his childlike glee when he gets to dual-wield acid bazookas or whatever :3:

-Neither of us are actually all that good at games, and we prefer to just goof off on Skype while we play, so team-based or raid-heavy stuff is pretty much out unless it has AI teammates. It'd be great if whatever we play next could let you accomplish stuff and do cool things even as just a 2-man squad of dummies. DDO was great for this, since you could set the difficulty of missions and it scaled to match your party size.

-Setting doesn't matter much at all, as long as the world is relatively open and cool to explore. Dad put so, so many hours into Oblivion and his favorite part seemed to be discovering cool hidden things, going into dark holes and pulling treasure out, etc. Again, not necessary per se, but still a bonus!

That about covers it! Hopefully that's not too specific, we could honestly probably enjoy ourselves with almost anything, those are just the most-enjoyed features of the stuff we've played already. Feel free to throw a curveball. We look forward to hearing suggestions!

EDIT: Would anyone recommend The Secret World or TERA Online based on those preferences?

A Bad Place fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jan 1, 2013

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
TSW Definitely fits your itch in terms of character customization, and has a fairly cool narrative/world to explore. Combat *might* be a bit fiddly for dad, but if he was okay with GW2, he should be okay with TSW as well I suspect.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!
Combat in TSW can be more complex and less fun than in GW2. It uses a skill building system similar to GW1, but at least most of the content is pretty drat easy and you can just do whatever. Lots of player customization too, although with a very simple character creator.

TERA online has very fun, very active, and depending on what you're doing, difficult combat. However, MMO conventions are still strong on this one, with a big layer of grind and not much in terms of exploration, while player customization is setup behind a system that has you pay in-game money to modify the appearance of your items.

Have you considered DC Universe Online or Champions Online? DCUO has fun, simplistic combat, reminiscent of a beat-em-up. You have simple combos like 'M1, M1, M2', and you only get 6 skills to use at a time. There's absolutely no grind in the game, taking about 10-20 hours to hit max level, and leveling is the most enjoyable part of the game. You get to see DC characters like the Joker, Batman, Superman, Green Arrow, Deathstroke, Mr. Freeze and many others, often voiced by actors that played them previously, like Mark Hamill, who voiced the Joker in various TV series and games, including the recent Arkham Asylum and Arkham City. The game even has a costume system where everything you pick up, is saved on that character as a costume item. You can then equip costume items to change your appearance as you desire, while keeping the stats of your current items. Just don't expect any longevity out of the game. You will play it for a month and find there's not much else to do in the game.

Champions Online has a lot of content from a PvE, solo/duo mindset. The combat is a combination standard MMORPG hot bar stuff and action based, newer concepts. Character customization is probably the best in the market right now. The game is very alt friendly, and can be incredibly fun when played with a friend. Both DCUO and CO have some level of exploration, but it's not comparable to a game like GW2 or Bethesda titles. I don't remember if either of them let you set mission difficulties. I believe CO does, while DCUO is just overall pretty easy.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Related question: What kind of combat does GW2 have?

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.
Could someone recommend me a fun racing game for PC? I haven't played one in ages, loved games like NFS underground, Colin Mcrae 2 and TOCA. Rally would be prefered but nothing too realistic, it has to be easy to drive on a keyboard.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Tagra posted:

--

I'm curious about computer-based card collecting games. I used to really like Etherlords but it had a lot of balance flaws, and of course I loved the old Microprose version of Magic the Gathering where you'd run around battling things and stealing their cards.

Does anyone have recommendations for a card collecting style game (doesn't have to be exactly cards, whatever. And I've already played Pokemon!) either computer software, online, browser, whatever. The DS might be an okay platform too.
I would prefer if combat wasn't the only way to collect but that seems unlikely. But I'm not interested if the combat is only multi-player with no robust single player options (like every single browser based card game I've seen so far :/)

There is BattleForge, a RTS/Card collecting game. The site describes it better then I could -

https://www.battleforge.com/home posted:

BattleForge™ is a Play4Free game that combines strategy, fantasy, trading cards and magical spells in a dynamic online environment. Combining the real-time gameplay of classics such as Command & Conquer™ with a fully enabled, online collectible community, BattleForge pioneers strategy gaming with its online multiplayer design and community features set.

BattleForge features single-player scenarios and cooperative scenarios supporting 2-12 players, as well as Player vs. Player (PvP) ranked and unranked duels. With co-op play, chat rooms, and a robust marketplace featuring direct trade, an auction hall and in-game mail, BattleForge is the first RTS to combine the social and community aspects of an MMO with an exciting RTS.

You earn cards by going through the campaign missions, buying from the store (think you can buy commons with currency you earn in game), or trading. I haven't really played it since it went "Play4Free" so not sure how it is now. Before though me and my friend had fun going through the missions with various decks (it has 1,2, and 4 player campaign missions and a random mission feature)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Related question: What kind of combat does GW2 have?

You have 5 skills, one of which is an autoattack with no CD, and 4 of which have CD's in the 5-30 second range which are your main combat abilities. You then have 5-8 more skills (class dependent) on much longer CD's which are generally big nukes or heals or utility things or buffs or what have you. Positioning and direction matters somewhat, as you can dodge attacks including melee swings.

PopetasticPerson
Jun 18, 2006
I'm looking for a grand strategy game in space. I've played the ever living poo poo out of Europa Universalis 3 and Crusader Kings 2 and I need a break from them for a little while. Pretty much just EU3 in space would be loving awesome but unfortunately that game doesn't exist. I feel (read: hope)like there should be something out there that are at least somewhat similar in style, though.

I've already played Alpha Centauri to straight up death as well as
Distant Worlds
AI War
Endless Space
GalCiv2
SotS

And probably a bunch of others I can't come up with off the top of my head. I've tried MoO2, but I couldn't get past the graphics and the interface. Also, if you know about a good, Paradox-y strategy game that has nothing to do with space but may also help tide me over to EU4 then feel free to point em out.

edit: Is SotS 2 any good yet? I know it was awful at launch but that was a while ago...I;m still holding out hope.

PopetasticPerson fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jan 2, 2013

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ugh, now I want more games like New Horizons, it can be in space but I'd prefer if it wasn't, does anyone know if port royale 3 pirates is any good? Also Pirates! is so easy it's boring, so Goons please help :(

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

PopetasticPerson posted:

I'm looking for a grand strategy game in space. I've played the ever living poo poo out of Europa Universalis 3 and Crusader Kings 2 and I need a break from them for a little while. Pretty much just EU3 in space would be loving awesome but unfortunately that game doesn't exist. I feel (read: hope)like there should be something out there that are at least somewhat similar in style, though.

I've already played Alpha Centauri to straight up death as well as
Distant Worlds
AI War
Endless Space
GalCiv2
SotS

And probably a bunch of others I can't come up with off the top of my head. I've tried MoO2, but I couldn't get past the graphics and the interface. Also, if you know about a good, Paradox-y strategy game that has nothing to do with space but may also help tide me over to EU4 then feel free to point em out.

edit: Is SotS 2 any good yet? I know it was awful at launch but that was a while ago...I;m still holding out hope.

Sots2 is poo poo - don't bother.

Shogun 2: Total War is very good - even if you want to just play the strategic map. As for grand strategy if you're willing to go a little (ie a lot) grognardy there is Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition which is on sale at Matrix. A real time tactical grand strategy game set in Ancient Greece is Hegemony Gold which is very very good for the first 20 hours or so.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Replaying Fez and talking with a friend through her first playthrough of Myst (and her upcoming playthrough of Riven) has got me itching for a game along those lines, but I've honestly come across very little that share the same qualities. Any suggestions?

For those who haven't played either: both Fez and the Myst series have puzzles that are pushed into the background of the world; the major gameplay is atmospheric exploration and putting information together that isn't really explicitly told a lot of the time. Puzzles are decently frequent, but with a good touch that they don't always appear as puzzles to start with - one of my favorites is in Riven where you play with an object in a classroom until you realize it's used to teach kids their numbers - then you use it to figure out the game's number system.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Saria might work. Look forward to The Witness, which I have high hopes for as scratching that Myst itch.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Turtlicious posted:

Ugh, now I want more games like New Horizons, it can be in space but I'd prefer if it wasn't, does anyone know if port royale 3 pirates is any good? Also Pirates! is so easy it's boring, so Goons please help :(

If you want to improve the difficulty in Pirates! just pirate a copy.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Probably a long shot, but I'm looking for a game that's as close to single player WoW as I can get. Character building, combat system centered around a hotbar and cast orders that's not turn-based, good world exploration.

Does this game exist?

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

Probably a long shot, but I'm looking for a game that's as close to single player WoW as I can get. Character building, combat system centered around a hotbar and cast orders that's not turn-based, good world exploration.

Does this game exist?

Kingdoms of Amalur is always described as single player WoW, but I haven't actually played it to confirm that.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Tagra posted:

Kingdoms of Amalur is always described as single player WoW, but I haven't actually played it to confirm that.

It's really not. It's an action game with the fluff and boring parts of a MMORPG, complete with the awful story.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

GreatGreen posted:

Does this game exist?

Have you played Xenoblade Chronicles? It checks off everything you asked for (and is pretty good to boot!)

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

Does this game exist?

Secret World is B2P now and you don't have to group :v:
It really rewards exploration. The combat is probably the weakest point, but ironically it is exactly what you are asking for...

[edit] I guess Guild Wars 2 fits too, with even less need to group. Exploration is good in both but I feel like it's more rewarding/interesting in Secret World

Tagra fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 3, 2013

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Happy Blue Cow posted:

Have you played Xenoblade Chronicles? It checks off everything you asked for (and is pretty good to boot!)

I haven't. I'll check it out, thanks!

edit: Welp, looks like I can't. I don't have a Wii. I'll go ahead and specify that I'm looking for a PC game. Didn't even think about mentioning that before. Thanks anyway though!

Tagra posted:

Secret World is B2P now and you don't have to group :v:
It really rewards exploration. The combat is probably the weakest point, but ironically it is exactly what you are asking for...

[edit] I guess Guild Wars 2 fits too, with even less need to group. Exploration is good in both but I feel like it's more rewarding/interesting in Secret World

Thanks for the recommendations. However, I'm really looking to keep it single player. The whole reason I stopped playing WoW was that it would have taken way too much time to do what I wanted in the game. A single player title would let me cheat and skip the BS if I really wanted to, like for example if instead of having to level grind I could just Cheat Engine in some xp, etc.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 3, 2013

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

GreatGreen posted:

I haven't. I'll check it out, thanks!

edit: Welp, looks like I can't. I don't have a Wii. I'll go ahead and specify that I'm looking for a PC game. Didn't even think about mentioning that before. Thanks anyway though!

Thanks for the recommendations. However, I'm really looking to keep it single player. The whole reason I stopped playing WoW was that it would have taken way too much time to do what I wanted in the game. A single player title would let me cheat and skip the BS if I really wanted to, like for example if instead of having to level grind I could just Cheat Engine in some xp, etc.

You might want to check out Divinity II - The Dragon Knight Saga.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

You might want to check out Divinity II - The Dragon Knight Saga.

I just checked this out and it looks pretty solid. It's right around $13 on Steam right now due to the sale.

One question though. Is it linear, open world, or somewhere in between?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

GreatGreen posted:

I just checked this out and it looks pretty solid. It's right around $13 on Steam right now due to the sale.

One question though. Is it linear, open world, or somewhere in between?

It's more or less open world I'd say. There's some story-based gating and there's load screens between zones.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Almost in the same vein, but kind of the opposite.

I'm trying to find a fun, character building/customizable Co-Operative RPG. My brother and I used to play Gauntlet Legends all the time and it was a blast. I played Diablo 3 with my wife and it was a blast. And now I feel like gaming again, and Black Ops is only so fun for so long. Same with Dungeon Defenders (which is really fun, but I can't marathon that game because its just a slasher with some tower defense).

The problem that is I want the game to be polished and not loving lovely. I'm pretty sure we tried to play Dungeon Siege 3 in anticipation of D3 and that game sucked, it just felt clunky and like an old lovely PC game or something, if I recall correctly. The 4 person Marvel game a while back was cool, but I don't want to revisit it.

I want a rich fantasy world with good co-op and at least a decent story. I don't want to do any Everquest style grinding, but a game that plays from that POV that would be ok (as opposed to the D3 style overhead view click click click).

It doesn't exist does it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

It's more or less open world I'd say. There's some story-based gating and there's load screens between zones.

Well it looks like we have a winner! The game looks like a solid mix between old school and modern RPGs, and it has a great big world with lots of different looking places to explore and loot to find. I hope the sense of character progression, feeling like you start out as a weakling and end up a demi-god with a swiss army knife of skills and abilities for any situation, is as strong as it is in old school RPGs.

Also, the Director's Cut version on Steam features a developer's cheat menu, built right into the interface! And because cheats are so rare these days, and actual developer tools that let you screw around to your heart's content are all but non-existent, I'm definitely buying this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvQ91M7VbPM

Skip to the 28 second mark on this one for more developer console info.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7X25SIzTZ8

Thanks guys!

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 3, 2013