Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

The Gate posted:

They show as available for me on that page, maybe an old version got cached or something on you?

And that was the exact issue. :tipshat:

After playing around with that I think I want to grab another Y wing. a 2 ion Y wing with Wedge and another X Wing list would be pretty rad I think.

I played this over lunch with a co worker. I played a X wing/Y wing versus 2 ties and an advanced and we had a ball. It took a while to explain everything but once we got going the game was pretty intense. I think I got him sold on it. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that the more asteroids there are in the game, the harder it is for the imperials. Their ships seem to have higher minimum speeds (TIE fighters going at a minimum of 2) which makes maneuvering without hitting stuff harder, and their lack of shields makes hitting asteroids more painful.

Couple that with the goddamn Y-Wing which can just cruise around at low speed shooting its ion cannons in all directions, and you've got a recipe for disaster.

What's a good setup for imperials in asteroid fields?

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
So I have a question about what I should buy to get started. Is there any point to buy the individual X-wing and Tie Fighter or should I just buy a 2nd starter box?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Backno posted:

So I have a question about what I should buy to get started. Is there any point to buy the individual X-wing and Tie Fighter or should I just buy a 2nd starter box?

A second box is good for the extra dice and templates (and ships, too), but the upgrade packs come with different cards/pilots as well. I did both and have no regrets!

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Backno posted:

The X-Wing expansion has Wedge, the must-run Rebel pilot, and the TIE Fighter expansion has Howlrunner, the must-run Imperial pilot. The second base set has the must-roll fourth die of each color. It's kind of insidious.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Poopy Palpy posted:

The X-Wing expansion has Wedge, the must-run Rebel pilot, and the TIE Fighter expansion has Howlrunner, the must-run Imperial pilot. The second base set has the must-roll fourth die of each color. It's kind of insidious.

You could just get the phone app for the dice, though.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Colonial Air Force posted:

You could just get the phone app for the dice, though.

True, but some groups hate non physical dice, and the digital app does not come with more movement templates, ships, etc.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

jivjov posted:

True, but some groups hate non physical dice, and the digital app does not come with more movement templates, ships, etc.

I was just mentioning it. I bought two kits myself, and far too many TIEs. :p

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

I was just mentioning it. I bought two kits myself, and far too many TIEs. :p

Yeah, I've decided that in the future, I'll only be buying one of each Imperial ship (unless I need a card or something) as I primarily play Rebels, and have no personal need for 5 TIEs.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.

Backno posted:

As many have said, the individual ships come with pilot cards that are not in the base set. Most people end up buying both though, to get all the extra stuff that comes with the second base set.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
My final Wave 1 tally was...

2 Cores
1 X-Wing Expansion
2 Y-Wing Expansion
1 TIE Fighter Expansion
2 TIE Advanced Expansion

I can be really bad when it comes to buying enough product to cover all options, and this list satisfied me. Most people could get away with one less Advanced and/or Y-Wing. I've seen a few multi Y-Wing lists, but I've never seen an Imperial list with more than one Advanced. I imagine we'll see a lot of lists with NO Advanced once the Interceptor arrives.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Buying two cores sounds excessive to me unless you're a super grognard or just have lots of money you don't mind spending frivolously. Just get one of each expansion and that should be enough to hold you off until the Kessel Run. You have to keep it mind that it won't be that long until we have Slave One and TIE Interceptors for the Imperials, and the Falcon and A-Wings for the Rebels. Once those are available I think a lot of people are going to have some useless 3rd X-Wings and extra TIE Fighters.

If you were getting in the game on Day-1 and planned to play a lot then things might be different. But we're close enough to the Kessel Run at this point that I'd say just wait it out without a second core unless you plan to be a LOT and just gotta have that perfect list!

EDIT: Also to be clear, regardless of whether or not you get a second core you definitely want to get the X-Wing/TIE Fighter expansions first. The expansions come with new pilots that aren't in the core set (and a few upgrades I think).

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 31, 2012

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Is there a second Kessel Run planned? I'd be down for another tournament, especially if there are prizes again.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Chomp8645 posted:

Buying two cores sounds excessive to me unless you're a super grognard or just have lots of money you don't mind spending frivolously.

Well before Amazon had their crazy sale, it was actually cheaper to buy a second core for the three ships than to buy the ships separately.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Well before Amazon had their crazy sale, it was actually cheaper to buy a second core for the three ships than to buy the ships separately.

I guess, but you're missing out on a lot of pilots that way. Doesn't seem worth it to me.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
To be honest, you probably want at least 3 X-wings anyway as a Rebel player, and at least 4 TIE's as an Imp player. So, getting 2 cores plus one of each expansion gives you nice coverage for a decent cost and the extra dice, templates, and cards are all handy if not strictly needed. With the new ships you probably won't need as many TIE Fighters as before, but we'll see how it shakes out. Personally, a couple Interceptors backed by a bunch of cheaper Fighters sounds fun. But so does Vader and Soontir Fel high-fiving while shooting people.

Also, Soontir Fel with either Daredevil or Push the Limit just seems all sorts of :black101:

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Forgot to post this earlier! Final round of my Kessel Run tourney last month.

Zombiehobo
Oct 8, 2007

SERPUS posted:

Got my starter for Christmas, and bought the TIE and X-wing expansions the other day. Y-wing and Advanced expansions should be here by Thursday for game night. Seeing the pictures of the Falcon and A-wing in action makes me wish I could pick them up already while I still have Christmas money burning a hole in my pocket.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

SERPUS posted:

That is a pretty awesome shot.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
Man when does that come out? I want one so bad.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Sometime in February.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Turr Phenirr [sic] with Vader and squad leader is nuts. So many boosts.

Alberta Cross
Sep 15, 2006
Fortis Et Liber
So, battlefoam has a handy insert for X-Wing.

Unless you are a magician or Jesus you'll never fit everything into the box.

Having said that, it keeps my precious plastic ships safe for travel... so I'm happy.
BUT, I feel like kind of a dunce with the second wave of expansions coming out.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Purchasing from Battlefoam also means you support an utter rear end in a top hat. You don't need a laser cut custom insert. I would look at KR Multicase instead.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

KR also has trays for X-wing, and they're not cut for just one kind of ship.

Alberta Cross
Sep 15, 2006
Fortis Et Liber

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Purchasing from Battlefoam also means you support an utter rear end in a top hat. You don't need a laser cut custom insert. I would look at KR Multicase instead.

I've never heard of KR, Battlefoam is the only brand I've had any familiarity with, I'll look into this in the future.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

For what they're charging, you could just get a large camera case with pluck foam:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HJTK5Y/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

I have 3 Xwings, 6 Tie Fighters, 2 Y-Wings, and an advance with space for all the wave 2 stuff, along with a plano box holding counters/templates.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
I'm pretty happy with the ghetto custom box I have setup so I'll share.

Total cost around $10 at Joann's.
Components: Sturdy cardboard "Photo Storage Box", a piece of 1" foam and .5" (all they had was green in that size) foam to serve as a base for the Tie Fighters to sink into. The foam was pretty easy to cut, but I probably shouldn't have started with the Y-Wings before getting warmed up. You might notice the X-Wings are sitting in their little plastic trays which was because the lasers liked to stick on the foam. It seemed a pretty good solution to that.

Anyhow, it's not super classy like pre-cut foam but it does the job and it's way more efficient than the original box (which I slaughtered to throw the game logos around this box). There's plenty of space for more ships and right now I just set all the tokens/etc on top of the ships and finally it fits on a shelf better now too.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What is the scoop on Battlefoam?

Crackbone posted:

For what they're charging, you could just get a large camera case with pluck foam:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HJTK5Y/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

I have 3 Xwings, 6 Tie Fighters, 2 Y-Wings, and an advance with space for all the wave 2 stuff, along with a plano box holding counters/templates.

That thing is classy as hell. Can you post a pic of the internal setup?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I use a Plano 5231 like everyone on boardgamegeek does, it's worked perfectly so far. Fits 2 core sets + 2 of every expansion with lots of room to grow, and they're 12 bucks.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1507040/reitoei?size=large

http://www.amazon.com/Plano-Molding-5231-Double-Organizer/dp/B000HJ9514/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357442948&sr=8-1&keywords=plano+5231

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Winson_Paine posted:

That thing is classy as hell. Can you post a pic of the internal setup?

:spergin: post incoming.

Shot next to 360 controller to show size. It's big.

Opened up - Rulers and 5 templates, rulebooks, and Plano on top level on a thin layer of foam. I removed the eggshell on the right hand side to make more room for the plano. Probably didn't have to, but was pretty tight with it in there.

This is one of the bigger Plano sizes, don't know off the top of my head. But you can see it holds almost everything from 2 core sets, and 1 of every expansion + additional Tie Fighter expansion.

Thin layer of foam removed.

Closeup of ships. The foam is so deep I had to add some back into the plucked sections to make it easier to remove ships.

Closeup of right. I have all ship cards and 2 damage decks, along with the Misc. tokens in that bag. To get an idea of how deep the foam is, each column of stands is stacked 4 high and could hold at least 1 more each without going past the top of the foam.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
drat, I know what I'm ordering on pay-day.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
Woah, you have a ton of space for A-Wings and Y-Wings and poo poo too. They have a smaller version of that case too, hrmmmmm

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I've got a case like that as well, picked it up locally at a hardware store for like $20. I use it for tons of TCG stuff, but am looking at getting another one with the pluck foam for X-Wing as well, and that shot above looks like a good enough justification of it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Winson_Paine posted:

The products are fantastic, if incredibly expensive for what they do. The owner is a complete rear end, and is notorious for things like suing competitors with spurious litigation and making idiotic demands of anything he sponsors. For example he tried to have one tournament ban anyone who used a foam container that wasn't his.

In contrast KR Multicase is very friendly and supportive of the community. I highly recommend them.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The products are fantastic, if incredibly expensive for what they do. The owner is a complete rear end, and is notorious for things like suing competitors with spurious litigation and making idiotic demands of anything he sponsors. For example he tried to have one tournament ban anyone who used a foam container that wasn't his.

In contrast KR Multicase is very friendly and supportive of the community. I highly recommend them.

He just threatened to sue a really great wargames terrain makes because he claims he has a patent on cutting foam with a laser.

E: Here's a couple of links so we don't keep making GBS threads up the thread:
http://www.tabletopgamingnews.com/2010/08/31/38873/
http://www.focusandfury.com/forum/index.php?topic=649.0

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 6, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I agree that we should limit our conversation about it. Less douchy businessmen and more Star Wars.

Is there any info about incorporating the miniatures game with the new RPG?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I guess you could be playing the RPG and during space scenes move the miniatures around going "I'm on the leader! VROOOOOM... PEW PEW" for immersion.

Honestly not sure what you're hoping for FFG to do officially.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Chomp8645 posted:

I guess you could be playing the RPG and during space scenes move the miniatures around going "I'm on the leader! VROOOOOM... PEW PEW" for immersion.

Honestly not sure what you're hoping for FFG to do officially.

I didn't really have any expectations. It just seems like a natural way to tie in the product lines if the RPG rules somehow emphasized miniature play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alberta Cross
Sep 15, 2006
Fortis Et Liber

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I agree that we should limit our conversation about it. Less douchy businessmen and more Star Wars.

Is there any info about incorporating the miniatures game with the new RPG?

Bonus points if you can tie in the new LCG too.

• Locked thread