Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Dave posted:

Well what were the problems? The way it rendered things?

A solid in app browser > another settings toggle.

What precisely would be the problem with a billion setting toggles? You set it once and forget about it forever, and everyone can have the app behave exactly how they like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

xzzy posted:

What precisely would be the problem with a billion setting toggles? You set it once and forget about it forever, and everyone can have the app behave exactly how they like.

A billion setting toggles means 21,000,000,000 possible combinations of those settings. Precisely, the problem is adding one setting creates exponentially more testing. And since we won't test it completely, it actually means exponentially more opportunity for bugs.

I don't have a problem adding a setting if we get a lot of split feedback.

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 1, 2013

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Looks like everything's hosed with the new Forums design. We're on it, hold tight.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Heh it actually works ok, just every thread has only has one page and the 20 next unread posts are at the end of it after a bunch of read ones.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
I'm hungover and confused

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Javid posted:

Is image uploading via the app still hosed? I tried it for the first time today and it just spun until I killed it.

Also all threads are only one page now?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Also all threads are only one page now?

pokeyman posted:

Looks like everything's hosed with the new Forums design. We're on it, hold tight.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

pokeyman posted:

You can also long-tap links to open them in Safari, completely bypassing the in-app browser.

That's fine for me then

Is the redesign going to require an update? Going to go crazy without Awful.app access.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Testing an update now that seems to have fixed the app from the new look-induced ragnarok

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
The new forum design I see mentioned seem to have broken the app, it no longer displays multiple pages, usually just the first page or a single loooong page. Others may have posted about this but I cannot tell as I cannot see past page 1 of the thread.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dr. Lariat posted:

The new forum design I see mentioned seem to have broken the app

Really?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It's broken for me too.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Is the app broken for anyone else? I can't read and I also can't understand why a forum redesign would break the app's scraping, TIA

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Broken on the awful app and the one with the frog on it. This is unacceptable

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Yeah guys could you please all post if your specific browsing experience has been disrupted by this unexpected and huge update to the underlying forum, that's be awesome.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I was at work and wondering what the hell all of you were talking about. I checked the forums on a computer and was greeted by the new forums look. I checked GBS for the first time in ages to see what was up.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

teacup posted:

Broken on the awful app and the one with the frog on it. This is unacceptable

THIS IS AFFECTING PRODUCTION

Kidding pokeyman take your time we love you

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Coq au Nandos posted:

Yeah guys could you please all post if your specific browsing experience has been disrupted by this unexpected and huge update to the underlying forum, that's be awesome.

Well now that I've gotten to a computer I can see the problem but considering an issue with the app was an inability to get to the end of a thread perhaps you would understand why folks hadn't seen a post saying the issue was known.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Dr. Lariat posted:

Well now that I've gotten to a computer I can see the problem but considering an issue with the app was an inability to get to the end of a thread perhaps you would understand why folks hadn't seen a post saying the issue was known.

pokeyman posted:

On a more constructive note, it's early days but do the changes open the door for any improvements to the app?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Nothing to do with the app, but the biggest problem I can see with the redesign is that my avatar and title suddenly make no sense. :mad:

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I just started having an issue today. Any thread I go into will only show that there is 1 page so I can read that 1 page but nothing else.

Edit: everyone else has already noticed so never mind.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

No big surprise but both the iPhone and iPad apps are screwy.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Haha I'm loving this forums update that does nothing but break the awful app

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

pokeyman posted:

Thanks mate. Sure it is the last thing you want to work on during NYE.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Ugh, this is literally the most broken app I've used this entire year!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Submitted version 1.9.2 which fixes the problems with the new forum design.

I asked for an expedited review, as the app is next to useless in its current state. If all goes well we might have the update out this week.

If anyone's curious, the change that caused us grief is the new page number pulldown menu on thread pages. For what it's worth, there are some simple things we should be doing that would leave Awful in a much more usable state than it is now. Those things are on the list.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I'm on 1.9.1 and a new bug has started popping up today. A couple of my bookmarked threads are putting all the posts on one page, and then not loading up just the unread ones. I've got the 'make read posts blue' fix on, but that's not helping in this case. I'm just getting several hundred posts on page 1 of 1, and having to press the 'Scroll to bottom' button to read them.

EDIT: oh hey, a bunch of new posts just appeared above mine all saying the same thing.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jan 1, 2013

durty
Jan 28, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

I'm on 1.9.1 and a new bug has started popping up today. A couple of my bookmarked threads are putting all the posts on one page, and then not loading up just the unread ones. I've got the 'make read posts blue' fix on, but that's not helping in this case. I'm just getting several hundred posts on page 1 of 1, and having to press the 'Scroll to bottom' button to read them.

Did you read the 10 posts before yours?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

durty posted:

Did you read the 10 posts before yours?

They hadn't loaded for me :(

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

pokeyman posted:

If anyone's curious, the change that caused us grief is the new page number pulldown menu on thread pages. For what it's worth, there are some simple things we should be doing that would leave Awful in a much more usable state than it is now. Those things are on the list.

I guess there's no way of manually hiding that element using a custom css or something? Just a thought.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

The Dave posted:

Well what were the problems? The way it rendered things?

A solid in app browser > another settings toggle.
Personally, if it was a link to something I wanted to spend some time looking at, I usually would want it in Safari so I could come back to it later after checking a few more forums threads first.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

I guess there's no way of manually hiding that element using a custom css or something? Just a thought.

I'm guessing that the problem wasn't really that that new dropdown is there, it's that the links it replaced are gone. The app probably looked for the old page navigation links, but now they're gone and have been replaced by that dropdown. It must have been an easy enough fix though, because the version Pokeyman submitted last night seems to work fine.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Bug - All of a sudden the page selector at the bottom shows 'Page 1 of 1' on every thread I visit. Tried closing / re opening the app, choosing a bookmarked and a new thread and it still does it.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

TACD posted:

Bug - All of a sudden the page selector at the bottom shows 'Page 1 of 1' on every thread I visit. Tried closing / re opening the app, choosing a bookmarked and a new thread and it still does it.

Fixed and submitted for review. Hold tight!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

pseudonordic posted:

Fixed and submitted for review. Hold tight!
Oh, I now see all the other posts about this. I'm 'that guy' aren't I. I just wanted to be the first to find a weird new bug like all the cool kids :(

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

TACD posted:

Oh, I now see all the other posts about this. I'm 'that guy' aren't I. I just wanted to be the first to find a weird new bug like all the cool kids :(

Don't feel too bad. People are getting all out of shape about people reporting an issue with the app in the app thread. It also doesn't help that recent posts don't always load right.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Yeah, it's annoying when people post the same bug over and over without reading the thread to see if it's been posted already, but in this case I don't think anyone should get too bent out of shape about it since the bug is preventing people from seeing those other posts.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They could always visit the thread in a normal web browser to see whats up. :ssh:

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
I think the app's behavior helps to make the "HAY GUYS, THE APP'S BROKEN" posts more likely since people aren't getting to all the new posts of "HAY GUYS, THE APP'S BROKEN" like they should.

You know, 'cause the app's broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

xzzy posted:

They could always visit the thread in a normal web browser to see whats up. :ssh:

Yes, but if people think it's only happening to them there's no reason they'd think to do that. Surely?

• Locked thread