Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Oh boy an unnecessary limit always spices up the gameplay. That's why everyone fondly remembers Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, a world renowned title that definitely didn't kill the franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

"We wrote that whole mythology thing without considering how its characters might be relevant to the actual story, so this spare guy is just making clothes backstage. He's not very good at it."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

Oh boy an unnecessary limit always spices up the gameplay. That's why everyone fondly remembers Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, a world renowned title that definitely didn't kill the franchise.

Dragon Quarter was clever and innovative and it only failed because people who like Breath of Fire are stupid

No but seriously, with the possible exception of the fourth game I've never seen a series so devoted to trivial, tedious bullshit. There is nowhere to go but up from a tradition like that.

quote:

-As previously stated, each of the game's four continents has its own concept associated with it. Luxerion's is "murder", because they wanted it to have a mystery component aimed at slightly more mature audiences.

I laugh because it keeps the tears away.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Lord help me, this is actually sounding kind of interesting.

Of course, it could totally fall apart in execution but at least it sounds like some neat ideas so far.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Man, I am getting more and more hyped. This game sounds just great.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
so is Luxerion just Detroit then?

Serious though, game sounds like it could be cool.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Stupid clothes aside, the game does sound interesting (Majora's Mask!), but... I'm not sold on the battle system yet. It looks slow and clunky.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I feel like the only one who thinks this thing sounds stupid as all heck. I don't trust Square Enix to make a good game anymore. They're gonna have to do more than design silly outfits and say a game is mature for me to get interested.

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

If you can still put sunglasses on a chocobo, day one purchase.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Overbite posted:

I feel like the only one who thinks this thing sounds stupid as all heck. I don't trust Square Enix to make a good game anymore. They're gonna have to do more than design silly outfits and say a game is mature for me to get interested.

It does indeed sound (and look) really stupid.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The game would be way more interesting if it wasn't connected to XIII's world. It was interesting at first, but it did not warrant three games. Hell, it didn't even warrant the first game it got, they just have no idea what to do with it.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Eggie posted:

In this game, once the game begins the world ends in 13 days, but coinciding with its end is also the birth of a new world. Lightning's task as a "liberator/releaser of souls" is to guide them to the new world.

The more I think about this premise the more it seems utterly unappealing.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

and his theme music is pretty much the best track in the whole series

I'm sorry but the best track in the whole series is Battle on the Big Bridge.

And now I just made myself sad that we'll probably never see an HD remake of FFV like I, II, and IV got.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Famitsu posted:

-Apparently "decorations" like the sunglasses Lightning is seen with in the latest trailer are in the game.

Haahaha, yes this is just what I was hoping for. Everything else sounds okay, I don't particularly give a poo poo about the story bits, everything else sounds pretty rad.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm sorry but the best track in the whole series is Battle on the Big Bridge.

And now I just made myself sad that we'll probably never see an HD remake of FFV like I, II, and IV got.

You do not know how much I want this, along with FFVII and IX, I want an HD remake of V, it is just so god drat great.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I'm not sure if I'd call "Battle on the Big Bridge" the best track in the series, but I can understand how a lot of folks might get confused with "the best sequence in the series that happens to have this one track over it."

... Battle on the Big Bridge does wait to start until after you're finished with all the mucking around in Exdeath's Prison, right?

As far as HD remakes of the old PS1 games, I'd like 'em too, but I dunno. I doubt they still have the original pre-rendered backgrounds in their native resolutions. If they do, I'm actually kinda scared of what they looked like before getting that painted-over PS1 de-rezzed look. They must be VERY 1999.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 1, 2013

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Sex_Ferguson posted:

You do not know how much I want this, along with FFVII and IX, I want an HD remake of V, it is just so god drat great.

Eh I can do without HD remakes of VII and IX (although I do love those games) but since V is my favorite numbered FF game (Tactics takes overall) I want an HD remake SO BAD. The fact that the first two and IV got shiny remakes on PSP and V and VI didn't is kind of annoying. Not that I care about VI that much either, but I know it's the darling of the series for most.

The White Dragon posted:

... Battle on the Big Bridge does wait to start until after you're finished with all the mucking around in Exdeath's Prison, right?

I'm pretty sure, though it's been a while since my last playthrough of FFVA...fortunately I started another recently!

Honestly though it is a pretty tough choice between Big Bridge and Laguna's theme as they're both fantastic pieces of music.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

For the star of an entire trilogy, Lightning hasn't had anything close to what you'd call character development. Does the game even explain how she keeps getting these jobs like Time Goddess, or Grim Reaper, when in the first game she was just a normal soldier?

I can imaging Square releasing Final Fantasy VII-2, where Cloud is the janitor of time, wearing a gimp suit, or X-3 where Wakka becomes president of Spira, and dressed in assless chaps.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I've already been burned twice by this sub-series. They could make the graphics sprite-based and show video of themselves firing their writers and I'd still stay away. The battle system's fun, but not really worth putting up with the rest of the games.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

That loving Sned posted:

For the star of an entire trilogy, Lightning hasn't had anything close to what you'd call character development. Does the game even explain how she keeps getting these jobs like Time Goddess, or Grim Reaper, when in the first game she was just a normal soldier?

I can imaging Square releasing Final Fantasy VII-2, where Cloud is the janitor of time, wearing a gimp suit, or X-3 where Wakka becomes president of Spira, and dressed in assless chaps.

I would play both of these games.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

Dragon Quarter was clever and innovative and it only failed because people who like Breath of Fire are stupid

No but seriously, with the possible exception of the fourth game I've never seen a series so devoted to trivial, tedious bullshit. There is nowhere to go but up from a tradition like that.
And yet with Dragon Quarter they dug so far down they reached China.

Any game where the system is set out to punish you the very moment you begin to have fun (Dragon Form, Running, Trying to Save and even Fighting were captial crimes in the game, rising that D-Meter up and screwing you out of another potential win) and deny you the ability to win the game on the first playthough (and isn't a Rougelike or similar game, where part of the fun is the story of how Captain Idiot the Jester Dwarf met his untimely end via a combination of Stairs, a cockatrice and his +2 Amulet of Explosivo) is not what I'd call an innovation.

It's a square wheel.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jan 1, 2013

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Sex_Ferguson posted:

This would be a perfect pack to me.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Twelve by Pies posted:

Oh man, do I have some news for you! ... Sort of! (Skip to the end)

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

That loving Sned posted:

For the star of an entire trilogy, Lightning hasn't had anything close to what you'd call character development.

Lightning does all of her character development in the first 10 hours of XIII (and in the context of the first 10 hours, it's some pretty drat fine development) and the proceeds to glare for the rest of the game.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

ConanThe3rd posted:

Any game where the system is set out to punish you the very moment you begin to have fun (Dragon Form, Running, Trying to Save and even Fighting were captial crimes in the game, rising that D-Meter up and screwing you out of another potential win) and deny you the ability to win the game on the first playthough (and isn't a Rougelike or similar game, where part of the fun is the story of how Captain Idiot the Jester Dwarf met his untimely end via a combination of Stairs, a cockatrice and his +2 Amulet of Explosivo) is not what I'd call an innovation.

It's a square wheel.

It would have really helped Dragon Quarter if the game made it very explicitly clear that if you play through the game without using the dragon then the D-Meter will only rise up to about 45%. You're not going to get anywhere near 100% unless you use it multiple times.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

dude789 posted:

It would have really helped Dragon Quarter if the game made it very explicitly clear that if you play through the game without using the dragon then the D-Meter will only rise up to about 45%. You're not going to get anywhere near 100% unless you use it multiple times.

The game also doesn't take into account how close you are to 100% in your D-Ratio calculation, so if you survive the game at all then congratulations you, the game just got much easier to completely tear apart with the Dragon on subsequent playthroughs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

It's a square wheel.

But the game specifically is a roguelike-variant. In particular it's really clearly from the linear of something like the Mystery Dungeon games. It has a more linear story but is designed to be failed at and tried again, right down to new story content appearing on a second playthrough (success or fail) and altered mechanics. That is part of what makes it really fun. People hear "moving raises the D-Meter" and freak out without realizing that moving raises the D-Meter by such an infinitesimal amount that it is basically ignorable. Even the saving 'punishment' is only a D-Ratio reduction for a *hard* save. Soft saves intentionally are not counted at all. This is actually less punishing than a mystery dungeon style "you can't hard save at all" style gameplay.

You also can use the D-Form a lot without 'punishment.' It serves as a sort of win button to allow you to get past a scenario you can't finish otherwise, not as a default attack option. You have TONS of spare D-Ratio. My first time through the game I got through with like 60% and that was barely exploiting the mechanics and using it for a couple of boss fights. A boss fight boils down to another 5-7% for an assured win if you use the mechanics properly, and most boss fights don't need that at all. Likewise the D-Dash mechanic exists to help lower time off your final rating. It's you being willing to trade some D-Ratio in exchange for shaving some time off your clock. (Most people would rather use it in battles but both are viable.)

Not to mention things like Party Experience which exist entirely for replays. You can't even argue "Oh, I can't grind" because SoL Restore exists. SoL Restore specifically is designed to allow you to grind all you want in exchange for lowering your D-Ratio at the end of a run!

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 1, 2013

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I'm not usually one to nitpick a games' graphics, but after so many years you'd think Square Enix would have found a better way to do transparencies than that horrible dithering effect. It was especially noticeable on hair and eyelashes in closeups, as well as foliage like grass blades.

If they could also optimise it so that it's not chugging along at 20 fps like most of XIII-2 did, then that would be great as well.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

In ff13-2 they say how she got her "job"

When the god intervened, chaos sweeped her away and she ended up in valhalla. She saw the god's chair and went "holy gently caress" and prayed in front of it wanting to help and the goddess granted her weird powers.

Then nothing happens other than exposition by serah.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Krad posted:

Oh man, do I have some news for you! ... Sort of! (Skip to the end)

I want so badly to believe, but I feel like it's probably just going to be a port of FFVA and not an HD remake. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I can't get excited about it until I know it's something new and not just the game I already have.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ImpAtom posted:

Not to mention things like Party Experience which exist entirely for replays. You can't even argue "Oh, I can't grind" because SoL Restore exists. SoL Restore specifically is designed to allow you to grind all you want in exchange for lowering your D-Ratio at the end of a run!
There were still major design flaws in its "carry over" features. SoL Restore throws you back in with ten crappy potions and no save tabs. Party Experience only gave you 1-5% of your combat EXP, barely enough to make a difference in subsequent playthroughs, and once you spent it, it was gone forever, so you better make it all the way right now or else all the time you spent previously grinding up Party EXP was completely wasted.

The truth is, nobody really wants to play through the first three hours of a linear, non-generated game a dozen times with no resolution payout to show for it no matter how many extra scenes you unlock in the meantime. Completely disregarding any balance or bonus EXP mechanics issues, this is a real dealbreaker for a lot of players, myself included.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

There were still major design flaws in its "carry over" features. SoL Restore throws you back in with ten crappy potions and no save tabs. Party Experience only gave you 1-5% of your combat EXP, barely enough to make a difference in subsequent playthroughs, and once you spent it, it was gone forever, so you better make it all the way right now or else all the time you spent previously grinding up Party EXP was completely wasted.

The truth is, nobody really wants to play through the first three hours of a linear, non-generated game a dozen times with no resolution payout to show for it no matter how many extra scenes you unlock in the meantime. Completely disregarding any balance or bonus EXP mechanics issues, this is a real dealbreaker for a lot of players, myself included.

What? SoL Restore retains everything except character levels/stats, the items in your backpack (backpack only, not storage) and rooms cleared. You also begin with 5 heal kits, 1 tonic and one save token no matter what. :psyduck: The only thing you lose meaningfully is your backpack items, but if you intend to grind you should be storing them before SoLing anyway.

Also I have no idea what you mean by party experience. You get so much that it's a small effort to get a massive boost to your experience. When I got my 1/4th D-Ratio run it took me less than three hours to hit the maximum experience necessary to hit 50 for everyone and then hit basically 50 for everyone in the bonus dungeon, let alone enough to give me a tremendous boost from the start of the game.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 1, 2013

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I must've been misremembering, but the one time I used it, it was on accident and I think it also cooks your save. I had a bunch of items on me and nothing worthwhile in storage and was pretty much cornered because of how much it took away from me. I dunno how I beat the game on that run, but I managed somehow.

Sometimes, it occurs to me that I should try it again, but then I remember how it refused to let me copy my file to another memory card for safekeeping. I get it, it's a roguelike, but that's a bit petty, especially because they didn't market it as one.

As for Party EXP, I think I played like four times. The first time, I beat the third boss (that's the general, right?), the next time I barely cleared the next one, and lagged around the drowned convenience store area for a playthrough before getting to the final boss. Each time, I figured, "Hey, I'll clear it this time" and didn't conserve my party EXP in the hopes that I was really close (I didn't have a guide to tell me that I wasn't, either, which honestly you really need for that game). I treated it like a NG+ resource rather than a long-term cash-out resource--and I get the feeling a lot of other players would've too, simply because of the way the manual frames it--because I had no measure of how long the game actually was. Now I understand it isn't meant to be used like that, and I even know precisely how long the game is, but damned if it never felt like table scraps for me.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 1, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

I must've been misremembering, but the one time I used it, it was on accident and I think it also cooks your save. I had a bunch of items on me and nothing worthwhile in storage and was pretty much cornered because of how much it took away from me. I dunno how I beat the game on that run, but I managed somehow.

Sometimes, it occurs to me that I should try it again, but then I remember how it refused to let me copy my file to another memory card for safekeeping. I get it, it's a roguelike, but that's a bit petty, especially because they didn't market it as one.

I don't know, I recall a lot of the Scenario Overlay stuff being part of the advertising, at least before it came out. I recall reading an article in.. probably Game Informer (I think that was the magazine I was reading around that time) which stressed "hey, you are expected to die and try again" a lot, not unlike how people went on about Dark Souls before it came out. The team who worked on it even went on to work on Dead Rising which uses something pretty similar and I recall being excited about Dead Rising when I heard that.

That may be why I was never really bothered by it. I went in expecting something pretty similar to what I got. I also am a big fan of serious resource conservation games and liked that spending resources felt like a meaningful choice.

The White Dragon posted:

As for Party EXP, I think I played like four times. The first time, I beat the third boss (that's the general, right?), the next time I barely cleared the next one, and lagged around the drowned convenience store area for a playthrough before getting to the final boss. Each time, I figured, "Hey, I'll clear it this time" and didn't conserve my party EXP in the hopes that I was really close (I didn't have a guide to tell me that I wasn't, either, which honestly you really need for that game). I treated it like a NG+ resource rather than a long-term cash-out resource--and I get the feeling a lot of other players would've too, simply because of the way the manual frames it--because I had no measure of how long the game actually was. Now I understand it isn't meant to be used like that, and I even know precisely how long the game is, but damned if it never felt like table scraps for me.

Ah, yeah, I can see that. Party experience is one of those mechanics which really comes into its own once you start going for D-Ratio, where is where the bulk of the fun in the game lies for me. DQ is one of those games where it really feels to me like it only begins when you finish it for the first time, which I admit is something I really enjoy.

I'm so used to the mechanics that I can't actually remember what it was like before I understood them, so if I had misunderstood 'em I might have hated it a lot more.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 1, 2013

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

You might both be right about how it works, since the SOL thing changed a lot between regions and releases. One version had a few save slots, another had temporary saves, etc.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Yeah, I was probably at a bad age for it. I was really impulsive, but the time I played it soured me to it and, while I can be kind of generous sometimes, I'm worried my generosity would be wasted and I'd have the same exact experience a second time. Maybe with save states and speedup, haha. That "gently caress you" save message still really rubbed me the wrong way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Yeah, I was probably at a bad age for it. I was really impulsive, but the time I played it soured me to it and, while I can be kind of generous sometimes, I'm worried my generosity would be wasted and I'd have the same exact experience a second time. Maybe with save states and speedup, haha. That "gently caress you" save message still really rubbed me the wrong way.

Well, there are like a billion games out there to play. I wouldn't jump on it if you already disliked it. There's too much new to play. Not everyone likes every game.

DQ is just my favorite of that particular series and I wish we could have gotten more gains in a similar vein. (Besides Dead Rising.)

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

Since I was five Tara, all I've ever wanted was a Harley and cut.
I must have had a psychotic break because I bought 13-2 when it first came out, I had just finished 13 and wanted to play more. Now, I thought 13 was a good game for 15 bucks, I forgot some of my enjoyment came because from it being so cheap and well, 13-2 wasn't worth 60 bucks to me. However, I did 100% the game cause I liked the graphics and the battle system was rather interesting (if a bit easy but then again, I don't play FF's for a challenge) and there was enough in the story to keep me interested and like others, I wanted more Time Cop Snow on a bike.

I'll be picking up 13-3 when it hits around 20-30 bucks, hopefully by that time, there will also be a DLC for Lightning to get rid of that ridiculous outfit of hers. That's another thing I was annoyed with in 13-2, about two or three weeks after I beat it, they released that White Mage outfit for Serah that would have made the game more bearable given her rather stupid standard outfit.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Okay if this isn't the greatest argument for buying 14 then I don't know what to say to you:

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/01/01/final-fantasy-xiv-a-realm-reborn-has-baby-behemoths/

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The GIG posted:

Okay if this isn't the greatest argument for buying 14 then I don't know what to say to you:

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/01/01/final-fantasy-xiv-a-realm-reborn-has-baby-behemoths/

Someone at SE must've been playing a lot of .hack recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So, picked up Chocobo's Dungeon Wii again after I got a HDMI converter and oh boy I do loves me some Rougelike dipped in orchestrated Final Fantasy Music. It says something that a chocobo that can't speak (beyond the standard kwehs) has a hell of a lot more charm than any recent FF Protagonist I can mind.

Then again, the Chocobo Chick in XIII was the most fleshed out character in that game so maybe there's something to that.

Also, the Phoenix can bite me, stupid same turn damage fire tiles and all.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 5, 2013