Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

B-Rad posted:

gently caress El Nido in high season. I dont understand how anywhere in the phillipines can get away with charging like 2500 pesos a night for a mediocre room near the beach. Thats like three times the price of anything in thailand with half the amenities. There is nothing affordable around besides bread at the bakeries and fruit, its a pain in the rear end to get to, and most prices are extortionate. 90USD for a fun dive?

Its beautiful but not worth it, in my opinion. Even Koh Phi Phi was much cheaper. I guess because there is more competition.

Also, Manila is a sketchy shithole. Also, Phillipino food is poo poo. Its just junk food. Just go to Thailand, Imo. So much more to offer.
Filipino food is, unfortunately, truly the worst slop on Earth. Can't comment on the rest of your non-Manila experience and I feel like there's been overboard Phils bashing of late so I don't want to, but, yeah, don't even bother with Pinoy food. If you have to, some of the moderately edible dishes I can recall are:

[MEAT] Ihaw (barbecue)
Sinagong (soup)
Dinengdeng (vegeatble-ey dish)
Adobo (bland local favorite)
Beef tapa

Dunno if that helps. Start drinking heavily, is what I'm saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer
Do you Americans in SEA recommend registering with the Dept. of State (STEP, I think it's called) before traveling? I'll be gone for a long rear end time, if that makes a difference.

Seems like a good thing overall, but I can't help thinking that it may backfire somehow. Guess I'm a bit paranoid after being questioned and searched for over an hour last time I returned to the US. Never again will I mention the fact that I was gone for 2 years...

Actually, how do you expats act when you return to the US for a short trip? Just act like you came back from a short trip overseas? I assumed they would know the last time I departed and would press hard if I lied.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I've never registered, though they have my contact info and things on file because of various visits and interactions, I'm sure. I mostly didn't register at first because the only time it would actually matter were in an emergency and it's a bit of a running joke that in an emergency, the US embassy will issue a warning or something.

With that said, if you are out in the middle of nowhere or planning on being in a hazardous or remote area it's not a bad idea. Sort of like registering with the rangers before going on a hike. There are these sort of deputized individuals who have responsibility for different provincial areas of the country and you can - much like a park ranger - sort of register with them through the embassy somehow, tell them what you'll be doing and then ask them to check in if they haven't heard in a while. These guys, depending on their level of dedication, can be pretty helpful in a pinch and have been known to help out with things like relative contact, repatriating bodies and so forth.

On the topic of returning to the US, I just walk in and walk out. Nothing ever happens to me other than a few questions. I know people (particularly Canadians for some reason - in Canada - though Americans too) who have horror stories about searches and interrogations, but that can happen to anyone whether traveling domestically or internationally. There's little indication to me that it matters much where you've been, how long and so on unless it's some sensitive area of the world (i.e. North Korea). If it's your unlucky day then it's your unlucky day.

EDIT: I get annoying questions on occasion from that weird cordon of TSA guys who lines the hall to the skywalk randomly to stare at everyone boarding. One dude in Houston with his sunglasses on top of his shaved head guy was checking everyone's passport and got to mine and started asking, really snidely, things like "So, what're you up to that you have to go in and out of Thailand and Cambodia and Malaysia (etc) so much?" as he was flipping through looking at visas. I was like, "Working." and pointed to the Non-Immigrant B business visa. He gave this rolleyes look and handed it back. It's kind of annoying, but what do I care? Took like two seconds of my time. I also have one of the very first RFID passports issued in DC, just happened to get it the week they started issuing them, so the markings are a little weird. A couple of times I've had TSA officers tell me "Be careful, you could get flagged - it actually has some signs of being counterfeit." That's a little bizarre, but nothing's happened.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Dec 30, 2012

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'll be out in the sticks, so I might have to look these provincial deputies up. Thanks

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

moflika posted:

Do you Americans in SEA recommend registering with the Dept. of State (STEP, I think it's called) before traveling? I'll be gone for a long rear end time, if that makes a difference.

Seems like a good thing overall, but I can't help thinking that it may backfire somehow. Guess I'm a bit paranoid after being questioned and searched for over an hour last time I returned to the US. Never again will I mention the fact that I was gone for 2 years...

If you're going out to the sticks, yes. A lot of poo poo can happen, and poo poo can happen pretty fast. It's generally good advice to know let someone know where you'll be; doesn't necessarily have to be the embassy. Can be friends, family, the internets, whatever floats your boat. The embassy doesn't/shouldn't ask too many questions aside from "where you going, where you staying, how do we get in touch with you?"

If you go to a specifically bad area, like Mindalao or Bang Phlat, or wherever, they will caution you on it and might hook you up with a security officer who will explain more in-depth what to watch out for - like scams, kidnapping, thefts, rape, etc, so you'll be at least, aware of what goes on in those areas. You can get some of the cautionary info at http://travel.state.gov/

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Grimey Drawer
I'll still be around other farang at the start, so it'll be easy to get the word out when poo poo goes down. I have ended up in the middle of nowhere with nothing but locals before, so I'll just go ahead and do it at this point. Luckily, Chaing Mai province is worlds apart from Mindanao.

Should be good for when I inevitably cause Somchai to lose face, and watch things go downhill fast after he flips the gently caress out. Kidding, of course...

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
This is Thailand, as long as you have the sense to know the line on work, who to not get involved with romantically and not to stay for more than one drink when there are a bunch of drunk blue collar dudes and just you, I wouldn't worry out there. In the city we have the occasional mass civil unrest, but even then you just stay inside. You know, it's Thailand, not Latin America. Outside of tourist areas, they don't particularly target foreigners (unless you're on Thai Visa, apparently, then oh my God the bloody Thais are embezzling from bank accounts and stealing my business and and it's just awful).

The guys are called wardens, I looked them up. US Embassy Wardens.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

moflika posted:

Actually, how do you expats act when you return to the US for a short trip? Just act like you came back from a short trip overseas? I assumed they would know the last time I departed and would press hard if I lied.

Me when I came back from there years abroad:

:smug: yeah I travel

Dudes in blue at the airport:

:geno: ok

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

ReindeerF posted:

The guys are called wardens, I looked them up. US Embassy Wardens.

There is no way these guys are not a D&D prestige class in my mind now.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
So I'm staying over in Bangkok on Friday before moving on to manila on Saturday morning. Any SEA goons in the city want to meet up for beers(and to laugh at me having to acclimatize again)?

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
If any goons are in Saigon tonight for the New Year's Eve and don't know what to do, let me know. I have a few parties lined up.

Ooner
Sep 24, 2005

It took me a couple days and several attempts to work with the tuk tuk guys but I've officially decided it's not worth the hassle and my time and energy is more valuable than trying to save 20 baht. Metered cabs 4 lyfe.

Ooner
Sep 24, 2005

Also, the "friendly strangers" on the street that try to pass you off to a tuk tuk scam are incredibly slick. Good English, subtle approach, and conversational enough that it feels like a helpful person giving tips. I can totally see why it works on people and they blame a driver without realizing how set up they got.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010
Tuk Tuks and motorcycle taxis are rarely worth it.

Tuk Tuks are a ripoff 99% of the time but occasionally they are useful. Like if you bought a computer chair at a department store which doesn't fit into a conventional car or taxi. They will strap it to the back and you will look like the biggest rube but it gets the job done.

Motorcycle taxis usually end with death or dismemberment even if they are cheap and fast. It's rolling the dice.

Ooner
Sep 24, 2005

Yeah I never even considered a motorcycle taxi for a second. There's not even an illusion of safety.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Motorcycle taxis loving rule ok. :mad:

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Grimey Drawer
Is there even a reason to grab a taxi into BKK central now that the rail link exist? I'm arriving during the day.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

On a day trip to Cambodia I got all Scottish and said to a mototaxi guy "I'm Scottish and a rube do with me what you will". He didnt really understand and it was the the cheapest Moto about the place I had all 5 days. Turns out the more incomprehensible you are the cheaper fares you can hook up!

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010
I used to take moto taxis all the time but I stopped immediately after almost getting t-boned by a speeding tuk tuk. Then another time the taxi guy peeled off and almost slammed into a car parked at an awkward angle.

That was it for me.

Something is bound to happen and it does frequently. It's just not important enough to make the news most of the time when Somchai the motoguy and his office worker passenger get their brains splashed all over Sukhumvit road.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
I'm eating instant noodles with a plastic spoon at 5:30am, happy new year guys.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I recall passing out on a metal table and knocking over a mostly empty Leo bottle at around 02:00 before stumbling into traffic on my way home. I just woke up fully clothed, lying sideways across my bed. Happy New Year! Also, it seems the forums look different or possibly it's my hangover.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard

ReindeerF posted:

I recall passing out on a metal table and knocking over a mostly empty Leo bottle at around 02:00 before stumbling into traffic on my way home. I just woke up fully clothed, lying sideways across my bed. Happy New Year! Also, it seems the forums look different or possibly it's my hangover.

must be your hangover, cause it looks the same to me.

But different.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

I rolled out of the Towers at 5.35am, sang some Van Halen to a room full of bewildered indian dudes and had a blast

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Rojkir posted:

must be your hangover, cause it looks the same to me.

But different.
Not same your country na ka. You not understand.

EDIT: Separate topic. This is pretty drat funny - and true of Bangkokian Thai-Chinese for sure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2s-qNZ1b08

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 1, 2013

TheLizard
Oct 27, 2004

I am the Lizard Queen!

B-Rad posted:

gently caress El Nido in high season. I dont understand how anywhere in the phillipines can get away with charging like 2500 pesos a night for a mediocre room near the beach. Thats like three times the price of anything in thailand with half the amenities. There is nothing affordable around besides bread at the bakeries and fruit, its a pain in the rear end to get to, and most prices are extortionate. 90USD for a fun dive?

Sounds like prices went up a lot since November 2011. I paid 2400pp for 3 dives a day and about 2000pp for a huge room right on the water. Plus, Seair was flying back then, I understand now it's ITI or the 6 hour bus ride from Puerto Princesa. We ate at a little fish shop most days; the food was super fresh and the prices were reasonable. That said, I don't travel on a shoestring anymore.

That said, $90 is still cheaper than what the prices on Ko Lanta in Thailand are - everywhere is between 3500-5500tbh for 2 dives a day (5500 being Hin Muang/Hin Daeng).

Cambodia e-visa question - if you do the e-visa, do they then give you a stamp/sticker at the airport? I don't want to wait in line for a visa on arrival but I also really want the visa permanently in my passport. I'm so picky, I know.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

TheLizard posted:

Cambodia e-visa question - if you do the e-visa, do they then give you a stamp/sticker at the airport? I don't want to wait in line for a visa on arrival but I also really want the visa permanently in my passport. I'm so picky, I know.
You get a small stamp, but you don't get the full-page sticker. If you want that, you need to get a normal visa either ahead of time or at the border you pass through. The e-Visa is mostly only attractive for those of us who travel there a lot or businesspeople who want to minimize delays, though I just get a yearly visa every May and sail through on that. About $280 annually, so it's a no-brainer.

EDIT: Cambodia is pretty much my favorite country on Earth, don't let me pass a Cambodia-related post without saying that.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 1, 2013

TheLizard
Oct 27, 2004

I am the Lizard Queen!
Well poop. Oh well, waiting in line it is. Less than 3 weeks until we leave!

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006

ReindeerF posted:

You get a small stamp, but you don't get the full-page sticker. If you want that, you need to get a normal visa either ahead of time or at the border you pass through. The e-Visa is mostly only attractive for those of us who travel there a lot or businesspeople who want to minimize delays, though I just get a yearly visa every May and sail through on that. About $280 annually, so it's a no-brainer.

EDIT: Cambodia is pretty much my favorite country on Earth, don't let me pass a Cambodia-related post without saying that.

I need to be not lazy and pay for my visa extension. How does the multi-entry visa work? Do you just get an extra stamp when you leave and come back?

Ooner
Sep 24, 2005

Ho Chi Minh City is completely awesome. Is new years day a big thing here just like NYE because last night the streets were absolutely packed and there was some kind of concert thing in the park near our hotel. The motorbike traffic is such a crazy change from anywhere I've ever been.

Sorry to use this thread as an abbreviated travel blog but you are the only people who understand. We have friends here and it has made a HUGE difference in our enjoyment of the city already. Are there any Chiang Mai goons who want to play local tour guide for us next week? ReindeerF, sorry we didn't make it running with you but would you like to hang out with us when we come back through for a day in a couple weeks?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I know that DON'T PLAN is used a lot here, but as someone who has somewhat suddenly found himself flying into Thailand this Saturday, close to midnight, is there anywhere I could or should book for the night for when I arrive? I don't really relish looking for a place to stay in the wee hours of the morning in a country I've never been in before right on arrival.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

ReindeerF posted:

Why is that? Maybe I need Cambodia sold to me again, though I was only in Siem Reap.

Onta vasa
Oct 15, 2004

Look what I made :drugnerd:
I'm backpacking SEAsia in a few months and I'd like to spin fire around the region. I would very much like to spin fire at Angkor at dusk/dawn and I was wondering if anyone knows how that would go over (I'm sure it would be hard to ask about fire spinning and regulations with a language barrier).

I'm not sure if the locals/officials would think it's entertaining or obscene and I thought I'd get your input.

Also... While I assume kerosene is pretty widely available is Coleman's camp fuel?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

imnotinsane posted:

I need to be not lazy and pay for my visa extension. How does the multi-entry visa work? Do you just get an extra stamp when you leave and come back?
Yeah, it's just like a multi for Thailand. Stamp in, stamp out. The comedy part is that it's now called an "Ordinary" visa instead of a business visa. This main structural difference is that instead of getting the one year outside the country, in Cambodia you (sensibly) get your short-term "Ordinary" visa extended to a full year while you're there. Makes sense and yet another area where Cambodia is ahead of Thailand, heh.

Ooner posted:

ReindeerF, sorry we didn't make it running with you but would you like to hang out with us when we come back through for a day in a couple weeks?
Sure thing. Drop me a line on your way back through and if we're all in the same place at the same time I'll make sure to meet up - thanks!

DontAskKant posted:

Why is that? Maybe I need Cambodia sold to me again, though I was only in Siem Reap.
It's probably just personal, so I'm not sure I can sell it to someone else, heh. The people are friendly to the point of being goofy still, it's got the most un-settled feel of the SE Asian countries I've been to, the French colonial influence has left a legacy of awesome architecture and fantastic Western food and so on. Part of it's just nostalgia from my first trip here about a decade ago, when it was still a crumbling place with rubble in the streets and what have you. If you ever watch City of Ghosts, that was filmed shortly before my first trip here. Phnom Penh still sort of has that feeling. I'm not a big fan of Siem Reap, frankly. I enjoy Battambang and visit much more often.

Onta vasa posted:

I would very much like to spin fire at Angkor at dusk/dawn and I was wondering if anyone knows how that would go over (I'm sure it would be hard to ask about fire spinning and regulations with a language barrier).
Like most things in this part of Southeast Asia, if you can't find an answer for sure and it doesn't involve harming someone, the best thing is just to do whatever you want and then carry a little money on you in case you have to bribe your way out of any potential problem. Sounds flippant, but it's reality.

EDIT: When in doubt, go with the local expat's advice - in this case Tytan below \/\/\/

Onta vasa posted:

Also... While I assume kerosene is pretty widely available is Coleman's camp fuel?
I've never seen it, but camping has taken off hugely in Thailand in the last few years, so there may be some equivalent.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 2, 2013

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

DontAskKant posted:

Naaahhh, as the unofficial chef of Korea, just come over to HK and I will stuff you with tasty Chinese food. Thai food is overrated and only for people in the western hemisphere:downsrim:

ProfessorCirno posted:

I know that DON'T PLAN is used a lot here, but as someone who has somewhat suddenly found himself flying into Thailand this Saturday, close to midnight, is there anywhere I could or should book for the night for when I arrive? I don't really relish looking for a place to stay in the wee hours of the morning in a country I've never been in before right on arrival.

Goon recommendation is Lub-D hostel but the rates there are getting pricey. My weekend warrior place is on average 1500 THB inclusive a night. Getting old for Khaosan solo traveler hostel "HI NICE TO MEET YOU IT'S MY FIRST TIME AROUND SOUTH EAST ASIA~~~~"

Can someone please add this hotel to the OP. It's functional, clean, good wifi, relatively cheap for a hotel near a public transportation hub in the city centre. Rooms are fine, but no lobby or pack backing ground. More of a no nonsense business hotel to drop your bags and go to wherever you want.

http://www.s33hotel.com/rates.htm

ReindeerF posted:

It's probably just personal, so I'm not sure I can sell it to someone else, heh. The people are friendly to the point of being goofy still, it's got the most un-settled feel of the SE Asian countries I've been to, the French colonial influence has left a legacy of awesome architecture and fantastic Western food and so on. Part of it's just nostalgia from my first trip here about a decade ago, when it was still a crumbling place with rubble in the streets and so on. If you ever watch City of Ghosts, that was filmed shortly before my first trip here. Phnom Penh still sort of has that feeling. I'm not a big fan of Siem Reap, frankly. I enjoy Battambang and visit much more often.

I tend to agree with this statement. Except the food I had was sub par (didn't know where to look). Beef luklak was decent but I couldn't find any places for my food snobbery. Also shout out to Kampot bokor hill. It's farther down south but nice - especially if you are a photo nerd

caberham fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 2, 2013

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

TheLizard posted:

Well poop. Oh well, waiting in line it is. Less than 3 weeks until we leave!

It doesn't take that long to be honest. You spend longer waiting for your baggage than you do for the visa.

Onta vasa posted:

I'm backpacking SEAsia in a few months and I'd like to spin fire around the region. I would very much like to spin fire at Angkor at dusk/dawn and I was wondering if anyone knows how that would go over (I'm sure it would be hard to ask about fire spinning and regulations with a language barrier).

I'm not sure if the locals/officials would think it's entertaining or obscene and I thought I'd get your input.

Do you mean in the actual temple complex? Yeah I don't think it would go down too well. Angkor is kinda a big deal for Cambodians, and like most of their important sites, you're asked to dress/act modestly. Plus the place is pretty packed at dawn (although quietens down a lot shortly after sunrise). Outside of the actual temple areas I have no idea. At the very least you'll attract a lot of interest. ;)

Not the same thing I know, but it reminds me of seeing a guy there at sunrise who had obviously been out all night, walking around with a bottle of beer. The locals were not impressed, and I'm fairly sure he wouldn't have been allowed to take it in if the staff had seen it.

caberham posted:

I tend to agree with this statement. Except the food I had was sub par (didn't know where to look). Beef luklak was decent but I couldn't find any places for my food snobbery. Also shout out to Kampot bokor hill. It's farther down south but nice - especially if you are a photo nerd

The thing with Cambodian food is it can be absolutely delicious when it's prepared correctly. Unfortunately this tends to happen more in home cooking rather than at restaurants (some of the local restaurants can be outright terrible). In saying that, it is improving here and there are some great places if you know where to look.

Kep is still my favourite place in Cambodia for food, I eat nothing but seafood the entire time I'm there.

Tytan fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 2, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

caberham posted:

Thai food is overrated and only for people in the western hemisphere:downsrim:
You have been added to the national black list na ka and will be jailed for life on your next visit ka ^__^ Thank ka!!!

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Greeted the new year anchored off Patong, watched Basement Jaxx and Pendulum performing live on some floating stage and a stunning amount of spirit lanterns and fireworks. I think I will have to return to Patong for New Years, it's a very magical experience.

I'm curious though how come Phuket is such a holiday destination for Russians? Is it because of Thai Boxing or other things?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Solefald posted:

Greeted the new year anchored off Patong, watched Basement Jaxx and Pendulum performing live on some floating stage and a stunning amount of spirit lanterns and fireworks. I think I will have to return to Patong for New Years, it's a very magical experience.
You would pretty much have to anchor me off Patong, completely away from Patong and next to a floating stage to get me to say anything positive about Patong too, heh. Sounds pretty cool, though!

Solefald posted:

I'm curious though how come Phuket is such a holiday destination for Russians? Is it because of Thai Boxing or other things?
Every decade Thailand adopts a new nationality as its main source of new tourism income. In the 2000s it was the Australians, before that the Germans, before that the Scandinavians, before that the Americans (we brought our own planes and guns, though). This decade is the Russians. I think it has to do with some unusually canny tourism-related diplomacy by the oustered PM along with the rise of (Moscow's?) Russia's emerging middle class post-energy boom. Every major beach locale that does widespread package tourism (Pattaya, Samui, Phuket, etc) is chock fully of them the last few years and this whole influx of Cyrillic menus and things is new to all of us as well. Pattaya is generally considered to be the epicenter (never been, don't plan to) and they can have it as far as I'm concerned!

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 2, 2013

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Got some sad news goons :smith: 22 year old British kid got shot in the bar in Koh Phagnan.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20883483

BBC news http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20883483 posted:

British tourist Stephen Ashton shot dead in Thailand
Map showing Koh Phangan

A British tourist has been killed in Thailand on New Year's Eve.

Stephen Ashton was reportedly caught by a stray bullet during a fight between two groups at a bar on Koh Phangan.

According to the Bangkok Post, the 22-year old was shot in the upper body in the early hours and taken to hospital where he was pronounced dead.

The Foreign Office said it was aware of the death of a British national in Thailand, and was providing consular assistance to the family.

It later confirmed the dead man's name.

Police investigating the incident later arrested a Thai man, according to the Post.

Mr Ashton's neighbour, Dawn Mason, described him as a "normal, likeable young man".

She said his family had moved to Purley, south London, about three years ago and had always been "very nice neighbours".

Mr Ashton's family said they were too distraught to speak to reporters.

A former colleague, Michael Jarman, described the junior stockbroker as energetic, happy and full of life.

"He was a breath of fresh air," he said.

"It's a massive loss, not only for his friends and his family of course, but any job prospects that he may have taken up with us."

Koh Phangan is a resort island neighbouring Koh Samui and it draws thousands of backpackers to its famous full moon parties.

Very sad indeed but I still find Thailand to be pretty safe.

Phuket and Bangkok are the powerhouses for tourists. It's easy to enter and to a lot of people, seeing a beach in Phuket is already "relaxing enough" or just stick to the 5 star luxury resorts. Going to Krabi to many people is already "edgy enough" and going to Cambodia and Laos is just suicide. Heck even in this travel subforum, sometimes you get people who ARE AFRAID OF BEING SHOT AND ROBBED BY POOR PEOPLE. I suspect Russia is like China, in that it's passport recently allows travel to Thailand easily? Lots of other countries are not too fond of Russian passports, unfortunately.

ReindeerF posted:

You have been added to the national black list na ka and will be jailed for life on your next visit ka ^__^ Thank ka!!!

Preah Khan belongs to the other country. Pad Thai is bad chow mein. Thai mangoes can not compared to Philippine ones.

But BeeHoon? I can change me surname into a Thai one like all the other Thai Chinese back in the day. I don't know why it's just so magically good from Thailand and down. Even Chinese in Yunan can't make Beehoon that good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
The expat forum scuttlebutt had the kid getting accidentally hit when some boneheaded Thai guy was shooting at someone or something else, which is plausible. I dunno if that's accurate or not (often not). Koh Phangan's pretty chill historically, but FMP and events like NYE definitely attract the worst elements from the foreign and domestic markets. I'm sure this isn't the first murder on the island, but it's the first one I can remember reading about, which says something. Samui, Pattaya, Phuket and the others I'm used to hearing about violence in.

Anyway, sorry to hear about the kid. Horrible thing for friends and family to go through, I'm sure. Also, look out Koh Tao, you're next.

caberham posted:

Preah Khan belongs to the other country. Pad Thai is bad chow mein. Thai mangoes can not compared to Philippine ones.
The Thai international assassination team has been dispatched. Yes, they wear flip flops.