Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Verified - 1861 State of the Union message

FIRE CURES BIGOTS
Aug 26, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

FIRE CURES BIGOTS
Aug 26, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Best movie review ever.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

She later backpedalled using the "I'm sorry you misunderstood me" form of "apology"

EDIT RAPE TRIGGER WARNING
And this is why I don't like the mentality of reddit

Experto Crede fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Dec 31, 2012

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rick Scott (R - Toontown)

Fractal Cat
Jun 25, 2010

I'm a Bro-ny!

Crasscrab posted:

This could have been our future if Ron Paul had won in 2008! Now we can only hope to glimpse even a portion of this libertarian utopia!

RIP libertarian utopia filled with blimps. We hardly knew ye.

Who'd want that future, we'd have floating fireballs just waiting to happen!!!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

7c Nickel posted:

There's already a fascist analogue in Skyrim and it's not the Empire.

I don't think it's particularly subtle either.

This really doesn't matter since I think you're just being contrarian.

According to Altmer religion the existence of a physical world is an abomination carried out by traitorous human-sympathizing gods. Since Talos is an aspect of Shezzar/Lorkhan/Shor, the Aedra responsible for creation, wiping out the worship of him is only one step on the way to destroying Shezzar/Lorkhan and eventually the entire physical world.

The human and creation favoring gods aren't necessarily good-guys either. For example Pelinal Whitestrake, human avatar of Shezzar/Shor/Lorkhan, freedom fighter, and crusader, was a genocidal maniac that had a thing for massacring Elves and anything that looked Elves.

It's basically a battle between humans who favour a physical world versus elves that wish for a return to a eternal formless spirit world with racists and zealots on both sides.

:spergin: :goonsay: :spergin:

Actual non-nerd content:
Suffragette Evelyn Manesta refused to allow police to take her picture when she was arrested. They forced her to comply and then edited the picture to hide this.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 31, 2012

FIRE CURES BIGOTS
Aug 26, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Fractal Cat posted:

Uh, excuse me, that right there is a rigid airship, not a blimp. Second, it is a rigid airship utilizing hydrogen. A true libertarian uses helium for their lighter-than-air craft!

Unfortunately the United States government REFUSES to release its stranglehold regulations on helium gas, for which it could be used to its full potential by the free market!

Fractal Cat
Jun 25, 2010

I'm a Bro-ny!

Crasscrab posted:

Uh, excuse me, that right there is a rigid airship, not a blimp. Second, it is a rigid airship utilizing hydrogen. A true libertarian uses helium for their lighter-than-air craft!

Unfortunately the United States government REFUSES to release its stranglehold regulations on helium gas, for which it could be used to its full potential by the free market!

Yes, highly inflammable helium! One person lights a cigarette and the whole thing blows up!

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Fractal Cat posted:

Yes, highly inflammable helium! One person lights a cigarette and the whole thing blows up!

I mean, seriously, why didn't they just call that thing the Hindenberg II? All that helium in one place, it makes me shudder.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Been seeing this around Facebook. There's literally no way those numbers are right, are they? Over 400,000 deaths every year prevented by guns?

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Crasscrab posted:

You mean the helium of which there's almost none left and whose loss will cause a significant impact on future generations?

Seems apt for a Libertarian then :smug:

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Been seeing this around Facebook. There's literally no way those numbers are right, are they? Over 400,000 deaths every year prevented by guns?

I guess it depends on how you base your statistics. If they consider every crime where a gun was used to end it as possibly leading to death regardless of what, if any weapons the perp had then yeah. Don't forget the whole "SELF DEFENCE! MAH GUN! :byodame:" argument needs strong backing.

Besides, note this is based on answers by victims who own guns (What, you expect the gun lobby to used balanced statistics?) and probably think "Well, he tried to pull a quick snatch and grab on me unarmed. I'd have died were it not for my semi-automatic 9mm!"

Experto Crede fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Dec 31, 2012

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Fractal Cat posted:

Helium is a noble gas, IE inert. It's hydrogen that's flammable.

Experto Crede posted:

You mean the helium of which there's almost none left and whose loss will cause a significant impact on future generations?

Seems apt for a Libertarian then :smug:

:thejoke:

The sad tale of helium's selloff by the government in the 90s is a sad one indeed. Although I guess having party balloons that float outway any scientific research that utilizes helium...

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

Crasscrab posted:

Helium is a noble gas, IE inert. It's hydrogen that's flammable.

It's a quote from the spy cartoon Archer where he refuses to believe that helium is not flammable.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Defensive uses idk, but predicting what would have been a murder is sketch. You would have to know where every event occurred and cross reference it with local hospitals and emergency response time since one of the biggest factors in murder vs. assault is how close you are to a hospital. It's why cops just get wounded or paralyzed but are rarely shot to death, they got a direct line to ambulances.

It's possible but it's unlikely. This is why it shouldn't be illegal for the CDC to have funding to research guns just like they do every other dangerous thing.

A group of drum circle hippies ignored by the press during OWS.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Crasscrab posted:

See this thing? It's an MRI instrument. The business end is a giant, gently caress-off magnet. It uses the response of a proton's spin, on water molecules, to the generated magnetic field and how they respond to radio waves. The environment the water molecules are in determines what kind of picture is generated. Basically, the water molecules in, say, a tumor will be appear different from the surrounding tissue.

Now what does this have to do with helium? Well for that giant magnet to generate the required magnetic field, it needs to be cold. Like cold cold. Thankfully, we can get liquid helium that boils at 4K to cool these things.

You'd think this resource would be a bit more closely regulated. Nope. Sold off to let the Almighty Free Market decide.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Fractal Cat posted:

Don't lose heart!

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/Rise-of-the-Blimps-The-US-Armys-LEMV-06438/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/9472952/US-Army-tests-new-blimp-like-military-airship.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z72GPZ3MI2M

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.
It makes me sad that otherwise intelligent people don't know that helium is not what was in the Hindenburg and that it's inert.

It's also pretty when you pass a current through it.

Then again, so is hydrogen.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

BUSH 2112 posted:

It makes me sad that otherwise intelligent people don't know that helium is not what was in the Hindenburg and that it's inert.

Yeah, I mean what about that are they not getting? Duh and/or hello!

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Manifest Dynasty posted:

Yeah, I mean what about that are they not getting? Duh and/or hello!

"Well, obviously the core concept, Lana. Sorry I didn't go to Space Camp."

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Of course they are not real. Which is probably why they are not citing actual studies or documents released by the Bureau of Justice or NIJ. It's also the National Crime Victimization Survey, not National Crime Victims Survey.

As far as I can tell, the statistics for the first claim are originally taken from the 2000 NCVS (repostings of these numbers cite it), and then horribly mangled beyond all recognition. The prevented rape claim seems to be taken from Table 72. Percent of victimizations in which self-protective measures were employed, by person taking the measure, outcome of action and type of crime where they took the total number of Rape/Sexual Assaults, 199,440, and divided it by 365, which is about 550. This number actually represents the number of times a victim or potential victim of rape or sexual assault employed self-protective measures. The self-protective measures utilized in the data are: Attacked offender with weapon, attacked offender without weapon, threatened offender with weapon, threatened offender without weapon, resisted or captured offender, scared or warned offender, persuaded or appeased offender, ran away or hid, got help or gave alarm, screamed from pain or fear, or took other measures. The dumb macro thing decided that all of these self-protective measures are actually just "showed gun." Dumber still, the number includes both attempted and completed rapes and sexual assaults. Just because the victim employed self-protective measures does not mean that the crime was avoided.

I actually don't know where the murder one is coming from; it is certainly not from the NCVS, which of course does not measure murders because it is a loving survey of crime victims. I am not sure what potentially real statistics may have been butchered to come up with that insane number. None of the numbers in the 2000 NCVS seem to match up. For reference, the number of murders in the US in 2010 was 14,748.

The second claim is definitely not from the NIJ, but probably taken from a 1992 survey by Florida State University professors Gary Kleck and Mark Gertz and attributed to the NIJ to make it appear more legitimate. The NIJ was, of course, extremely critical of the projections made by Kleck and Gurtz, which you can read here

Here is a small excerpt:

National Institute of Justice posted:

Thus, it is of considerable interest and importance
to check the reasonableness of the NSPOF estimates
before embracing them. Because respondents were
asked to describe only their most recent defensive
gun use, our comparisons are conservative, as they
assume only one defensive gun use per defender. The
results still suggest that DGU estimates are far
too high.

For example, in only a small fraction of rape and
robbery attempts do victims use guns in
self-defense. It does not make sense, then, that
the NSPOF estimate of the number of rapes in which
a woman defended herself with a gun was more than
the total number of rapes estimated from NCVS
(exhibit 8). For other crimes listed in exhibit 8,
the results are almost as absurd: the NSPOF
estimate of DGU robberies is 36 percent of all
NCVS-estimated robberies, while the NSPOF estimate
of DGU assaults is 19 percent of all aggravated
assaults. If those percentages were close to
accurate, crime would be a risky business indeed!

NSPOF estimates also suggest that 130,000 criminals
are wounded or killed by civilian gun defenders.
That number also appears completely out of line
with other, more reliable statistics on the number
of gunshot cases.[14]

The evidence of bias in the DGU estimates is even
stronger when one recalls that the DGU estimates
are calculated using only the most recently
reported DGU incidents of NSPOF respondents; as
noted, about half of the respondents who reported a
DGU indicated two or more in the preceding year.
Although there are no details on the circumstances
of those additional DGUs, presumably they are
similar to the most recent case and provide
evidence for additional millions of violent crimes
foiled and perpetrators shot.

False positives. Regardless of which estimates one
believes, only a small fraction of adults have used
guns defensively in 1994. The only question is
whether that fraction is 1 in 1,800 (as one would
conclude from the NCVS) or 1 in 100 (as indicated
by the NSPOF estimate based on Kleck and Gertz's
criteria).

Any estimate of the incidence of a rare event based
on screening the general population is likely to
have a positive bias. The reason can best be
explained by use of an epidemiological
framework.[15] Screening tests are always subject
to error, whether the "test" is a medical
examination for cancer or an interview question for
DGUs. The errors are either "false negatives" or
"false positives." If the latter tend to outnumber
the former, the population prevalence will be
exaggerated.
And so on.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Apparently a Swedish rape victim.

http://www.expressen.se/gt/jennys-valdtaktsman-slog-till-igen---mot-84-aring-3448854/

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

SpaceMost posted:

Iceland seems like such a dynamic place. I need to learn more about it.

Toronto's glorious leader.
Iceland is also pretty small, so learning about it doesn't take very long. Most of the main things is that we're the most right-wing economically of the Nordic countries, so you've got a lot of struggle over economic policy while the social stuff is pretty ok, though only because we've been very vehement in fighting the good fight.

Chamale posted:

The empire works best as a metaphor for fascism in World War II. I have no clue why you'd want to support foreign imperialism in that game, considering how the Empire wants to ban traditional Nord religion and destroy their culture. I have no idea why you would support the Empire - they support an illegitimate King, broke their treaties with the Nords, and promote male supremacy. The Stormcloaks have a problem with racists in their ranks, but I see this as similar to the Americans imprisoning Japanese citizens. It's wrong and inexcusable, but the Stormcloaks are the lesser of two evils.
What the gently caress is this? The Empire works best as the Empire, a fake thing made for a videogame by idiots. It's a lovely attempt at some grimdark nonsense and the game spells out that the actual fascists (Thalmor, you know, the ones talking about "inferior People" and rounding up political dissidents but show not tell is something Bethesda are poo poo at so you never see it) are behind the lovely rebellion done by this one guy with a huge ego who wants to gently caress up the entire Empire because he's a whiny baby. Skyrim is a terrible game with shallow gameplay that's the worst Elder Scrolls game yet and it ain't worth the discussion.
:goonsay:/

Oh, and it was Gamlárskvöld here, which meant that everyone was firing up fireworks like mad. At midnight it is literally as bright as during a noon sun. (Well, used to be. Now it's only as bright as maybe dusk, due to lack of money)
This, btw, means a shitload of pollution; both air pollution and CO2 pollution. Graphs about pollution in Iceland are pretty funny because of that and the bonfires.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd-nZ8yQdc4

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

also:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

(She never got to do anything. The storyline was cancelled.)

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 1, 2013

Cozy Hemp Mines
May 16, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

If a cop with a gun in his/her holster stops a crime, it counts!

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

If a cop with a gun in his/her holster stops a crime, it counts!

post a picture :ssh:

Here are some Latuffs on Bahrain

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Here's the latest facebook trend

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Rand alPaul posted:

Ah, so America now has an equivalent to "SOLDIERS SHOULD HAVE FOOTBALLERS WAGES!". All it's missing is the "99% of people won't share this" bit.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Experto Crede posted:

Ah, so America now has an equivalent to "SOLDIERS SHOULD HAVE FOOTBALLERS WAGES!". All it's missing is the "99% of people won't share this" bit.

Let's take this back a few years...

:godwin:

Unlearning
May 7, 2011

Rand alPaul posted:

I genuinely see no problem with this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJtHNEDnrnY

MIT Gangnam style, featuring Noam Chomsky

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Cahal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJtHNEDnrnY

MIT Gangnam style, featuring Noam Chomsky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n281GWfT1E8
Ai Weiwei style

p.s never read comments

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Anyone remember carbon debits? :psyduck:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Or twitter:

Context: Mitchell Brook is a primary school in Neasden who, every year, put on adorable plays for Channel 4's Big Fat Quiz of the Year. That, and Jon Snow's deadpan newsreading of song lyrics, make the Quiz watchable if you can deal with the awful comedians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je7rpVJVBFQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaHrVWwDCRY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

• Locked thread