Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Dr Pepper posted:

Pretty sure Youske is the fastest party member. Though Naoto is probably second fastest.

Naoto is actually the fastest, but it's by like 1 or 2 points of agility at level 99 and before then they keep trading places for fastest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ChiTownEddie posted:

Question about early Jan: its like 1-2 or 1-3 and I'm supposed to talk to all my social links, is this the time when I don't go home despite it wanting me to? I tried to go to Junes but nothing seems to be available. Just worried about missing stuff haha

No, you're good, that doesn't happen until March.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ChiTownEddie posted:

Question about early Jan: its like 1-2 or 1-3 and I'm supposed to talk to all my social links, is this the time when I don't go home despite it wanting me to? I tried to go to Junes but nothing seems to be available. Just worried about missing stuff haha

Nah, that's March only.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nate RFB posted:

Are you sure? I'm fairly sure I talked to her and she asked for a Red Goldfish and just ended the conversation there.

I did the same thing on my last playthrough and I most certainly did not have a Red Goldfish to trade. Maybe I waited longer so the flags changed or something.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I didn't give her the red goldfish either and still got it

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It would make sense if the flag changes eventually, since otherwise you might get locked out of getting both the fish hook and the bug net all together. I'm pretty sure I checked in in the beginning of June on my first playthrough and she didn't give it to me.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Just beat it and am already planning a second playthrough. Level 72 is apparently underleveled, as I ground out about 13 more levels and got both Yoshitsune and Trumepeter. Debilitate into a power-charged hassou tobi tore the boss apart to the point that other party members felt kind of useless, aside from a healer. Although, maybe I'll pick up P3P, since I've had P3FES for years and never finished it.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Captain McStabbin posted:

Just beat it and am already planning a second playthrough. Level 72 is apparently underleveled, as I ground out about 13 more levels and got both Yoshitsune and Trumepeter. Debilitate into a power-charged hassou tobi tore the boss apart to the point that other party members felt kind of useless, aside from a healer. Although, maybe I'll pick up P3P, since I've had P3FES for years and never finished it.

Make sure to play girl mode because girl mode is best mode.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Nessa posted:

Make sure to play girl mode because girl mode is best mode.

This is the truth. You're not a princess, and you ain't no cutie girlfriend, oh don't you know.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I really wish getting to 99 in P4 gave you 999/999 like P3.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

PureRok posted:

I really wish getting to 99 in P4 gave you 999/999 like P3.
:swoon: Chie would be able to pull off at least 3 Dragon Hustles :swoon:

Also, I was about 80 or so when I beat the final boss last time. This time I was at that level before beating Heaven (hell, I might have been there by the time I beat the lab's bonus boss) :getin:

I managed to max 4 more links this time too: all the ones I got the first time except for Moon (:argh: she was at 8, dammit, just give me one more week), plus Justice, Hierophant, and Emperor, plus the new ones. Only ones I didn't max were Temperance, Tower, Death, Hanged Man, and Moon.

U.T. Raptor fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jan 1, 2013

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
With just under (or over, if you count reverting to an earlier save) 100 hours on my final pre-boss save it's finally game over. The new ending is awesome. It's a lot happier and definitely fits P4 more. In the end the only things I missed were two scooter models. There just weren't enough nights to make scooters and robots. What an incredible game.

On a sad note, there are no more golden hands. I killed them all.

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.

Captain McStabbin posted:

Yeah, I'm level 93 and am about to start the last dungeon. Honestly even though hard mode was notably harder in the beginning, now I feel so over leveled that it's not even really fighting anymore. The enemies don't even get a turn and Rise refills my SP after every battle, its a little ridiculous. Im sure I can just run through the last dungeon but I kind of don't want the game to end.

Also as someone who played P3:FES after P4 originally, it's kind of hard to go backwards especially, I imagine, from P4G. There's just so many gameplay improvements. I could never get into P3P for getting rid of all the walking around and becoming a big talking head simulator.

The biggest pain in this game was catching the Sea Guardian without reading the fishing book. drat you, the game is almost over I'm never going to fish again! ...And then eventually I got it in like 20 seconds with no misses.

EDIT: Also I only ran into the Reaper once all game when I was in no condition to fight him and I can't seem to spawn him at all anymore. Usually the chains only start rattling once I've opened the last chest on the floor.

RadicalWall fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jan 1, 2013

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

RadicalWall posted:

EDIT: Also I only ran into the Reaper once all game when I was in no condition to fight him and I can't seem to spawn him at all anymore. Usually the chains only start rattling once I've opened the last chest on the floor.

I think it's been posted before, but here's the short version: Go to Castle, run up to floor five, Goho-M, save your game, go back to Castle on floor one, loot it and re-enter it until you have opened 20 chests, save game, go to Castle floor five, open both chests. Reload and try floor five again if you don't get a reaper. Gold chests don't count.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax
Hey how do you fuse Satan? I tried using Thor, Michael, Yoshitsune but isn't letting me. I used to be able to do it, but now it just fuses Loki?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think the actual levels contribute to the fusion calculation as well, so if you powered Yoshitsune up for example it might not result in the same thing anymore. Try buying up a couple of other pesonas of the same arcanas and see via the search option which will result in Satan.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Every time I replay this game, I'm reminded that Kanji's VA is simply the best there is :allears:

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Every time I replay this game, I'm reminded that Kanji's VA is simply the best there is :allears:

Troy Baker is pretty fantastic as Kanji. Especially with some of the new scenes added in P4G.

Also, agreeing with others about the difficulty or lack thereof. On hard mode I really struggled early on but I'm in November and at nearly 70. The abundance of golden hands really can break this game alone, but then with all of the new bonuses and powers you get through team S. Links really makes things simple.

Looking forward to actually beating the game for the first time myself, since I gave up on the final boss in the original P4.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

ChiTownEddie posted:

You're thinking of something that will occur later. Relax and just talk to everyone. Oh! And make sure you visit the Velvet Room for a special surprise!

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Question: is it possible at all to max out every social link in the first runthrough of the game? I'm not talking about NG+ but just a fresh playthrough on Normal mode.

I am seriously pulling my hair over how annoying it is to just establish these links. Some of them are ok like Margaret you only need Knowledge Level 3 to establish but some of the others require maxed out attributes just to begin or continue. The worst is Naoto, who you need Max Courage and Max Knowledge to establish and you're already running on a time limit with her because she comes so late in game. It feels like the game is almost against you because even with all the time you have some Slinks only appear on certain days or weather conditions. I'm kind of mad that I purposefully skipped the Halloween event because I needed to do Slink stuff.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

lotus circle posted:

Question: is it possible at all to max out every social link in the first runthrough of the game? I'm not talking about NG+ but just a fresh playthrough on Normal mode.
I was able to do it my first time through P4G (though it was my third time through the game if you count PS2 runs) with about a week to spare. The only thing that really stands out is that I basically ignored bike events besides Rise's.

E: I am not suggesting however that this is something you should shoot for, as I knew ahead of time a lot of characteristics about which links to do at which time.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 2, 2013

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

lotus circle posted:

I am seriously pulling my hair over how annoying it is to just establish these links. Some of them are ok like Margaret you only need Knowledge Level 3 to establish but some of the others require maxed out attributes just to begin or continue. The worst is Naoto, who you need Max Courage and Max Knowledge to establish and you're already running on a time limit with her because she comes so late in game. It feels like the game is almost against you because even with all the time you have some Slinks only appear on certain days or weather conditions. I'm kind of mad that I purposefully skipped the Halloween event because I needed to do Slink stuff.

Yes, but don't try. Seriously, worrying too much about Social Links is anathema to fun, just hang out with people you like and don't skip out on one-time events to do Social Links because the one-time events tend to be fun.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
I skipped four social links during my first playthrough, because gently caress is it a chore to micromanage between training, social links, and raising personal stats like courage, understanding, etc.

Now that I'm on my NG+ walkthrough and don't have to worry about raising personal stats, it's much easier to be flexible and do the social links, since I no longer have to worry about studying or eating the rat poison in the fridge.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Is the december miniboss just a "gently caress you go level" check or is there some trick I'm not getting. Magic is just doing poo poo damage, even with a break on him, so it feels like a blitz physical damage fight. But once he starts killing a dude I can't do enough each turn to hurt him and try to keep poor teddie alive.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Is the december miniboss just a "gently caress you go level" check or is there some trick I'm not getting. Magic is just doing poo poo damage, even with a break on him, so it feels like a blitz physical damage fight. But once he starts killing a dude I can't do enough each turn to hurt him and try to keep poor teddie alive.

That's the thing, it has a lot of magic defense but not much physical, to my knowledge. I got by with Chie doing most of the damage and Yukiko being dedicated healer. I'm not sure there's much else to it.

Poops Mcgoots fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 2, 2013

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

From the end-game onwards, a physical offense will largely be your best bet against all the bosses. Only one has any real resistance to physical attacks. Fortunately, you should be at level to have access to numerous Personas with the Power Charge move. Do some fusion dicking about and try to make a powerful physical attacker with Power Charge. Your party can support you and you can deal critical damage.

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.
When I first played P4 I somehow got it in my head that you needed to max all the S.Links to get the True Ending, ended up reading an FAQ and spoiling some of the twists. Don't be like me. Just S.Link with whoever you want to and enjoy the game. (Yeah, whatever, Naoki)

RadicalWall fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 2, 2013

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

lotus circle posted:

To add to what others have said, in my first run through P4G I was able to max all but Jester, Moon, Strength, Death, and Temperance just by doing a basic priority system of team mates > Aeon > everything else for daytime. The nighttime ones are simple to max because there's only 4 and a half available at night, and except that half they're only available at night.

Really the only reason to max the non-team mate SLinks is to get their special fusion and to get the 100% SLink trophy. The fusions can be nice but aren't even close to vital (I didn't use any of them in the first run), and the trophy's just a trophy. Hang out with who you want to hang out with and if you're really set on getting the trophy, do it in NG+ when you have the benefit of having maxed social stats and thus lots of free time.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Temperance and Sun are good to work on since they provide points towards Understanding and Expression. Same with Strength, though you can kind of drop Strength once your Diligence hits level 3. Death is actually pretty easy to max since it's Sunday/Holiday-only so you might as well schedule around it. Jester you do right away (like, all of it in May) to get it out of the way, and Aeon just kind of is kept in lockstep with your party's levels. That leaves Hanged Man and Moon, who are easily ignored.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
For my first run through the game, I focused mainly on my party members (though Kanji got left out in the cold 'til January), Hermit, Aeon, Empress, Jester, Hierophant, Justice, Devil and Tower.

Mailer posted:

In the end the only things I missed were two scooter models. There just weren't enough nights to make scooters and robots.

Not true! I actually managed to get all 6 robots, all 6 scooters, and all 6 Persona dolls. That said, I didn't manage to read all the books (and gave up trying since I missed out on Fun with Numbers and the O-Cha Way). :shobon:

Went ahead and started NG+. I also renamed my character to cut down on the number of Yu Narukamis out there. Did anyone else rename for NG+, or did you stick with the same name both times through?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

RadicalWall posted:

(Yeah, whatever, Naoki)

Is it wrong that I always get the urge to smash his face into that window?

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Schubalts posted:

Is it wrong that I always get the urge to smash his face into that window?

I never understood the hate for him, he's honestly a pretty chill dude who has to deal with some pretty heavy poo poo. His S-link is one of my favorites of the school (which isn't saying much, since you have Sun and Strength and...what, Moon? Well, I like Moon too actually...)

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

RentCavalier posted:

I never understood the hate for him, he's honestly a pretty chill dude who has to deal with some pretty heavy poo poo. His S-link is one of my favorites of the school (which isn't saying much, since you have Sun and Strength and...what, Moon? Well, I like Moon too actually...)

Same. Naoki was one of my favorite links in vanilla P4, gently caress the haters.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

RentCavalier posted:

I thought Basketball Strength was pretty good.

Unrelated: PHOENIX RANGERS FEATHERMAN R I am irrationally delighted by this in every way.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

Not true! I actually managed to get all 6 robots, all 6 scooters, and all 6 Persona dolls. That said, I didn't manage to read all the books (and gave up trying since I missed out on Fun with Numbers and the O-Cha Way). :shobon:

It was either books or models and the books give a trophy... so yeah. The scheduling guide I was using changed pretty drastically while I was playing around July/August and there was a lot of catching up via fortunes. I might actually platinum the game in NG+ if I can be bothered to grind that stupid Risette trophy. It's tempting to start NG+ right away but leaving some time to forget s-links would probably make the second playthrough more fun.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I don't understand how you people can hate an arcana that gives you HELL BIKER.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
How do people hate Naoki? He's a really chilled out dude after you get it started and his storyline is a pretty understandable one. His and Ai's are definitely the best ones of the High School kids that aren't party members.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
I've got a question:

If you can reach and fight a boss early, before it even starts raining, should you do it? Currently I'm parked right outside the Kanji boss in the bath house and I almost beat him the first time. It's not even raining in the game world yet I basically went here the third day after the event started. Overall, should I wait until the last day to beat bosses, or can it be just fine to beat them early?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

How do people hate Naoki? He's a really chilled out dude after you get it started and his storyline is a pretty understandable one. His and Ai's are definitely the best ones of the High School kids that aren't party members.

I assume it's because he tends to make a bad first impression on people, since your first interaction with him is him telling you that he hates you and Yosuke for no real reason. Sort of a, "Well, gently caress you, too!" response. Honestly, though, I played through his link on the PS2 version, and he was a pretty okay dude by the end of it.

Stealthed Zombie posted:

I've got a question:

If you can reach and fight a boss early, before it even starts raining, should you do it? Currently I'm parked right outside the Kanji boss in the bath house and I almost beat him the first time. It's not even raining in the game world yet I basically went here the third day after the event started. Overall, should I wait until the last day to beat bosses, or can it be just fine to beat them early?

Yes! Actually, it's better in the long run for you to finish dungeons as early as you can, since it frees up more time for Social Links.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Stealthed Zombie posted:

I've got a question:

There's no reason not to beat them early, and there are several reasons to beat them early. (For example: the Jester Social Link is only available if no one's in the TV, and I think the same applies to the Hierophant.)

So go ahead and take him down, if you can. I normally go in and finish dungeons in a single trip as soon as they're available, personally.

• Locked thread