Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!

Bradster posted:

Here's a batch of Infinity Challenge raws with softsubs included to make it easier for people to get started with the show.

Download torrent81 (156 files; 60.57 GB)
View torrent stats

Thank you very much, can't wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strangeless
May 8, 2007

I say money, money, money, and I say hot dog! I say yes, no and I say money, money, money and I say turkey sandwich and I say jet fuel can't melt steel beams.

Bradster posted:

Here's a batch of Infinity Challenge raws with softsubs included to make it easier for people to get started with the show.

Download torrent81 (156 files; 60.57 GB)
View torrent stats

Awesome! After seeing Hyung Don on Running man and seeing his and Haha's interaction (funny-rear end fighting) I was really feeling the lack of IC subs!

Rinseh
Jul 25, 2011

Do I have to do everything, he asked intending to be facetious?
so i have this exact torrent already downloaded but am unable to help seed it due to info hash, any insight on how i can help out some goons.

Bradster
Aug 14, 2004

Ryan Reynolds brings a brilliant new form of acting in every movie he does!

Rinseh posted:

so i have this exact torrent already downloaded but am unable to help seed it due to info hash, any insight on how i can help out some goons.

I'm not sure what the problem is as I haven't changed any the files.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

toanoradian posted:

I've started watching Infinity Challenge two weeks ago and goddamn am I unable to stop. This is like my first few weeks following Running Man but I don't get exhausted by around my 30th episode. Maybe it's because I jump around in terms of episodes, but unlike RM, there doesn't seem to be a formula. Not saying RM is bad for having a formula or anything, that show is still pretty good.

I have a few questions that should be easy to answer if I watch more episodes, but since I watch IC non-chronologically I'm not sure if I'll ever get the answer myself: How did Yoo Jae-suk get the nickname 'Nal Yoo' (which means 'pimp Yoo'?), Noh Hong-chul 'Dol+i' and Jung Jun-ha 'Jjuly Jjang'? I roughly understand what most of them mean, like Dol+i is for the crazy act NHC does and Jjuly Jjang for being the best among the 'minors', basically those with less screen time (I have no idea what Nal Yoo is), but how did they get them?

Basically, someone comes up with a name that fits with the current character the guy is pushing, and then it's so hilarious that it sticks. Dol+I (Dol-ai) sounds like the slang for idiot/retard, which is (Ddol-i). Stuck when he started playing the crazy dude character. Before, he was "Quickmouth" because he talked really, really fast.

Jjuly jjang is as you said, king of the minors, but the jjuly part comes from Kimchi. Not too familiar as I don't eat it myself, but it's sort of like the scrap/leftover bit that no one really likes from kimchi. Jjang means best. Combine the two, and you have the nickname.

Nal-Yoo is a combination of the slang word Nal-nal-ri meaning partyer/clubber (ie one that only parties and does not focus on work/academics) and Yoo Jae Suk. He likes to dance and pretend he was the hot poo poo in the 80's clubs and all as a sort of "hidden side" character, which is where it comes from.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Ok that explains a lot about dance club president Yoo in RM. :v:

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

toanoradian posted:

I've started watching Infinity Challenge two weeks ago and goddamn am I unable to stop. This is like my first few weeks following Running Man but I don't get exhausted by around my 30th episode. Maybe it's because I jump around in terms of episodes, but unlike RM, there doesn't seem to be a formula. Not saying RM is bad for having a formula or anything, that show is still pretty good.

I have a few questions that should be easy to answer if I watch more episodes, but since I watch IC non-chronologically I'm not sure if I'll ever get the answer myself: How did Yoo Jae-suk get the nickname 'Nal Yoo' (which means 'pimp Yoo'?), Noh Hong-chul 'Dol+i' and Jung Jun-ha 'Jjuly Jjang'? I roughly understand what most of them mean, like Dol+i is for the crazy act NHC does and Jjuly Jjang for being the best among the 'minors', basically those with less screen time (I have no idea what Nal Yoo is), but how did they get them?

Jjuly Jjang - IC TV Special, ep 173/174, subbed by DDD. Park Myung Soo decides he's doing a segment with the "minors" (everyone except himself, Jae-suk and Hong-chul) so they get more screentime, and in the midst of it announces Jun-ha as the best of the "not-funny" group. The members call the nickname a hit during the Wrestling special (filmed around the same time).

Nal Yoo - Palace Millionaire Special, ep 156/157, subbed by DDD. Jae-suk mentions going on three blind dates when he was younger, and the others turn it into a bigger deal than it is.

I'd say Infinity Challenge is on par with Running Man, maybe not as exciting but funnier (probably because they're all comedians). It's being talked about in the RM thread too, so I'd like to add the Tail Grabbing Special (eps 169/170) as a good starting point, since it showcases the notable aspects of each member (Hong-chul - cunning; Jun-ha and Junjin - dumb) and is a fun chase resembling RM. Another, especially for BigBang fans is the Gangs of Seoul special (eps 248/249) as it puts to shame the episodes RM did with the same guests. The Moneybag special not so much as the only available version of it currently is one with crappy video quality and subs.

Mean Bean Machine fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 29, 2012

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
So on the subject of kpop, what the hell makes it so catchy? I mean I am a grown rear end man and I think Girls Generation is fun to listen to, despite the fact that its in a language I don't understand, and if we're an American equivalent I would not enjoy it. Is South Korea full of wizards?

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
Not being able to understand the lyrics lets you stop cringing and feeling awkward while listening to it. Kpop music isn't all that different from Western pop other than that. Sometimes they even buy songs that were written in English by Western producers and translate the lyrics to Korean. Then you'll see 15 year olds swearing up and down that nothing like it exists in America before the guide track sung by an American pop artist gets leaked. Oops.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Sacro posted:

Then you'll see 15 year olds swearing up and down that nothing like it exists in America before the guide track sung by an American pop artist gets leaked. Oops.

It's still technically true, though. Even if not all the groundwork is done in-house, the song was polished up by SM Entertainment and SNSD are the ones singing the song.

I'm not saying there's no good American music or American pop music, or that all K-pop is wonderful, mind you. I'm just saying that if "Run Devil Run" had been released in the US as a Kesha song it would have been a horrible piece of poo poo.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Porkchop Express posted:

So on the subject of kpop, what the hell makes it so catchy? I mean I am a grown rear end man and I think Girls Generation is fun to listen to, despite the fact that its in a language I don't understand, and if we're an American equivalent I would not enjoy it. Is South Korea full of wizards?

Never underestimate the charisma of nine smoking hot girls. I do think SNSD is slightly higher on the actual talent scale than the rest of K-Pop, but even there there's maybe 15 songs of theirs I actually like, and they're usually not the ones the group performs endlessly on Korean TV. But collectively they have enough charisma to entertain even if the song is completely terrible. It helps that they give the outward impression that they don't take themselves too seriously (that's probably not true), and so there isn't the diva status you typically get from similar Western artists.

saintonan fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 1, 2013

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

saintonan posted:

Never underestimate the charisma of nine smoking hot girls. I do think SNSD is slightly higher on the actual talent scale than the rest of K-Pop, but even there there's maybe 15 songs of theirs I actually like, and they're usually not the ones the group performs endlessly on Korean TV. But collectively they have enough charisma to entertain even if the song is completely terrible. It helps that they give the outward impression that they don't take themselves too seriously (that's probably not true), and so there isn't the diva status you typically get from similar Western artists.

I guess thats part of it, it just seems like there is something else to it that I can't quite place.

But then again I can't think of any of the male kpop groups I like, so maybe it is just the singing asian lady factor.

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
Apparently Rain and Kim Tae Hee are a couple :ssh:

http://www.asianjunkie.com/2012/12kim-tae-hee-rain-are-boning-according-to-dispatch/

Bradster
Aug 14, 2004

Ryan Reynolds brings a brilliant new form of acting in every movie he does!
Apparently Jae Suk, Hong Chul and Haha are in New York?
I think I would have the greatest new years ever if I could hang out with them... even with the language barrier.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Have any of you guys watched K-pop Tasty Road? Its geared towards more of an international audience and is all in English, but its a fun little show. Its neat getting to see some of the places they go to eat, and the chemistry between Yoon Ji & Eli is pretty :3:

Selane
May 19, 2006

Porkchop Express posted:

Have any of you guys watched K-pop Tasty Road? Its geared towards more of an international audience and is all in English, but its a fun little show. Its neat getting to see some of the places they go to eat, and the chemistry between Yoon Ji & Eli is pretty :3:

I saw the one where they went to Seokchun's restaurant(because apparently Seokchun speaks English and owns a restaurant, news to me). It seems ok but I'd be lying if I said I didn't find NS Yoonji's voice really grating.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Selane posted:

I saw the one where they went to Seokchun's restaurant(because apparently Seokchun speaks English and owns a restaurant, news to me).

You must have missed his brief appearance on Running Man or never watched Strong Heart. Hong Seok Chun is pretty drat great.

Oh hey Girl's Generation started off the new year with a new song and... it's really terrible. I'll spare you why I think so (for now, at least) and just let you listen to it for at long as you can stand it.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Was that supposed to be a mashup?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
The song starts off with a pretty bad, un-catchy chorus. Then about a minute and a half in, it seemingly switches to a completely different song, with a whole different chorus. Then a few members get their own verses that sound as if they come from unrelated third, fourth, and fifth songs.

There's really no way to easily remember the tune to the song. SM should really leave it to f(x) to handle this kind of music.

On the plus side...Yuri in sunglasses. :)

qbert fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jan 1, 2013

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
After about the third listen it grew on me, but to be honest I'm more excited to see a dance version of the MV, that will be awesome.

Also their comeback special tonight is crazy exciting.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

Welp, I think its pretty awesome.

edit: No more rapping tho please. Leave that to a group like BEG.

Famous TV Dad fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jan 1, 2013

Rinseh
Jul 25, 2011

They look amazing, and the choreography is pretty good, but the song just feels so schizophrenic.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I don't like am ok with the song and will probably grow on me in time. It doesn't flow right between the various melodies and because of that it feels very inconsistent. It would have been a lot better if they split that song up into 2 songs. Or if the length of the song went to 7-8 minutes, with each of the melodies having more spotlight, the song would have less of the "mash up" feel. Green Day's Jesus of Suburbia is a fantastic example of what I'm trying to say and what they should have done. The dance looks pretty good and a lot more intense than what they usually do, so on that front it's good. The outfits are far better suited for f(x), hell this entire song would have fit f(x) better.

I can't believe the producers that made this also made Genie, it's like they slapped together a bunch of demos and just handed it to SM and they bought it purely because of Genie. I get the feeling that this entire promotion was literally put together overnight and not done in concert with the Japanese release and that SNSD are trying to find their way now that they're not cutesy girls anymore (but bomb rear end ladies and Jamesman put it).

This song reminds me of Tiffany's outfits; when it's good it's loving great, but when it's bad it's loving terrible. I will say it's good to see that they're willing to go in new directions, the worst thing would be for them to be stale.

Lyer fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jan 1, 2013

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
Mods please rename me to Jessica cat ears batman, tia

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
They should have just ran with the chorus section for the whole song, not the wanna-be Beyonce beginning and ending. Weird, and still not on the same level as Gee. They'll be on all the music countdown shows this weekend. It'll be weird to see how the song is put together then.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It definitely felt like three f(x) songs Frankensteined together.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
Is there a site or blog that identifies the clothes and accessories idols wear in MVs and variety shows? I Got A Boy got me curious about what designers tend to be represented.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
http://style.soshified.com/

It's kind of strangely fascinating, I don't know anyone who does it for Idols as a whole though.

So who watched SNSD's Romantic Fantasy? Pretty good, especially supervillain Yuri.

GenghisTron
Dec 5, 2005

i dont live to live homie

Their first performance of the track - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAg3swnAHyA

I'm not sure what to make of it yet. Part of it sounds pretty similar to Crayon by G-Dragon. I'm glad Hyoyeon gets a decent amount of time for once.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

The MV is good, but I am still not sure I'm sold on the song. I mean its not terrible, but its not exactly what I would have expected.

Selane
May 19, 2006

http://netizenbuzz.blogspot.com/2013/01/snsds-comeback-title-track-i-got-boy.html

Seems netizen opinions are pretty much the same. Every place I check you pretty much hear 'it sounds like five songs smashed into one'. Some of us knew it would be bad before it even came out since it has Yoo Youngjin all over it. :smug:

I honestly had to mute that video early on, and around halfway I couldn't even handle the visuals and had to stop altogether. One of the netizens put it pretty well: 'If this song was from a rookie group you've never heard of instead of SNSD, would you still be grasping at straws to find good things to say about it?'

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

GenghisTron posted:

Their first performance of the track - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAg3swnAHyA

I'm not sure what to make of it yet. Part of it sounds pretty similar to Crayon by G-Dragon. I'm glad Hyoyeon gets a decent amount of time for once.

This is clearly a pre-recorded performance, as there's multiple set changes and even a costume change in the middle of it. Still curious how the girls are gonna pull off a full performance of the song live.

It definitely seems like the hardest choreography they've ever had to learn, or the most different from what they're used to. You could see the effort on everyone's faces to get the moves and timing right throughout the whole song.

Edit: First performance of Dancing Queen. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS8VtzHhqfU&feature=youtu.be This is more my bag.

qbert fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 1, 2013

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
I liked it.

abs

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Baby Maybe is a serious earworm.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
Ate a cactus and watched I got a boy for five hours. Pretty sure Yuri is my spirit animal.

edit: The world would be worse off if this song and video had been any other way

reflir fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 1, 2013

strangeless
May 8, 2007

I say money, money, money, and I say hot dog! I say yes, no and I say money, money, money and I say turkey sandwich and I say jet fuel can't melt steel beams.
I tried to watch the MV last night while winding down from new year's and holy poo poo I could not parse any of it at all. After watching the "live version" though I think I get it.

The main "I got a boy" hook part seems like a reward for waiting through the other bits, and this whole song together seems like it could do with some badass remixing from like guest producers. Listening through the dance songs on the album, they are all kinda out there experimental sounding.... I think the whole thing is great really, it's just baffling that SM would let their premier brand do this kind of experimenting. Maybe the creatives pushed it so that people would give it more of a chance, spend some of their SNSD reputation cash.

I really thought "The Boys" was not that great because it was too safe, this seems like it's a little edgy and --challenging I guess is the word -- but it's still a mystery why challenge with SNSD?

edit.... can't WAIT to see the inevitable practice video for this, the choreography looks insane.

strangeless fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 1, 2013

Merope
Apr 19, 2010

Smurf it up

Selane posted:

http://netizenbuzz.blogspot.com/2013/01/snsds-comeback-title-track-i-got-boy.html

Seems netizen opinions are pretty much the same. Every place I check you pretty much hear 'it sounds like five songs smashed into one'. Some of us knew it would be bad before it even came out since it has Yoo Youngjin all over it. :smug:

Those comments mention a similarly bad song from the same producer given to Super Junior, I'm curious what's the song.

Rinseh
Jul 25, 2011

After watching through a subbed version of the video it definitely makes more sense now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHo2sC8Vx1o

And it has happened, after listening to it a couple more times i have changed my opinion on the song, i actually quite like it.

Fuoco
Jan 3, 2009
It may grow on me over time, like Electric Shock and I Love You, but at the moment it just isn't doing it for me.

I'd hope SM wasn't expecting this song to widen their fanbase. People are spoiled for choice at the moment, and new listeners aren't likely to give it multiple play-throughs just to see if it gets better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

It definitely is not geared towards new audiences, I guarantee they're saving those type of tracks for their English album. It's basically SM trying out new things because they can. K-pop is pretty much on the downward slope and I think they're transitioning SNSD to become more than just "a k-pop group".

I'm starting to like the song too after a few times, I still think the opening rap is bad and shouldn't even belong, but it's short at least. After listening to the entire album, I take back my initial thoughts about the Japanese release and this one not being done at the same time, they were. Sounds like they split up the dance tracks to Flower Power and everything else for this one. Explains why the rest of the album sounds so different from IGAB.

Their tv special also had bad ratings too and I'm sure IGAB not being a smash hit had a lot to do with it.

Lyer fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 2, 2013

• Locked thread