Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
realplayer is apparently still a Thing in korea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

just a butt posted:

realplayer is apparently still a Thing in korea

also ie6

if I remember correctly their internet infrastructure is built to use a ton of activex or something

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

All due to government mandated encryption standard for banking if I recall.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
gonna be honest, was kinda hoping the 'VC' stood for Version Control

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
in the 90s as software retailers were discovering the information superhighway i bought realplayer in a box for $30 from EB and installed it and it turned out to be the trial version with nag screans, wtg real :thumbsup:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

pagancow posted:

lol look at the epic card list you get to choose from for suported cuda cards in 10.8.2

GeForce 200 series:
GTX 285 for MAC

GeForce 100 series:
GT 120

GeForce 8 series:
8800 GT

Quadro series:
4000 for Mac

Quadro FX series:
FX 5600, FX 4800 for MAC

only 3 of those cards will give you a framerate boost with MPE with frame sizes over 1920x1080

OS X NV support includes 5x0 and 6x0 series now. of course I wouldn't be surpised if adobe conveniently ignores that

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
who remembers when it was called DivX ;-)

i remember.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

That's DivX 3, strewth why do I know that ...

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

remember trying to find videos of stuff before youtube??? scary times, man

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Doc Block posted:

They weren't DVDs (though somebody did make DVDs that would start to degrade after being exposed to open air). They were discs encoded with the DivX codec instead of MPEG-2, and used a different copy protection system IIRC.

You had to have a DivX player, and they had built-in modems and had to be connected to a phone line to work.

they used mpeg-2 just like a dvd. in 1998 mpeg-2 hardware was expensive as gently caress; i used to have a dsp card that did nothing but decode mpeg-2, it was like $200 in 1997 money

the 'divx' codec was a lame joke. pirate assholes got a leaked copy of a microsoft encoder and decoder, hacked it up to be easy to use with avi containers, and released it with the name "divx ;-)", because divx-the-product was such a lame and bad idea. yes the winky face emoticon was part of the name

i enjoyed the elegance of all pirate videos being released in a format that could only be created/played with pirated software

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
so what was xvid then
coz that was standard for a v.long time... still is on your non HD rips?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

my first real video experience was listening to kevin pereira's online radio show on lickmysweaty.com

video came across 56k modems at 5-10 fps max in a postage stamp sized video of less than 180px in any dimension. I seem to remember seeing some fatboy slim concert streamed at one point later on in real video's lifespan

company died because they turned it into adware and people were like 'welp'

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

echinopsis posted:

so what was xvid then

youre in luck, there are so many parts of mpeg-4 (30) that it would give peter jackson a bonre.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4#MPEG-4_Parts

If I had to take a guess it would be Mpeg-4 Part 4.

:ninja: edit : loooooool its mpeg-4 part 2 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DivX#DivX_profiles

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i find this interesting

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

enhance

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

voted indeo

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
voted gomplayer for glorious corea

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

pagancow posted:

hows bink working out for you? lol we can't give up 5mb of ram to play a real codec that would breeeaaak us!

we use webm

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Kirk posted:

we use webm

ahahahaha

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

echinopsis posted:

so what was xvid then

xvid was another lame joke, an open sores attempt at implementing "divx ;-)" so that people could stop pirating microsoft codecs

being beardy fucks naturally they named it something very confusing: the name of the pirated thing spelled backwards

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

This is why your video codec sucks. All are 4:2:0 except professional stuff

~my chroma resolution~

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

xvid was another lame joke, an open sores attempt at implementing "divx ;-)" so that people could stop pirating microsoft codecs

being beardy fucks naturally they named it something very confusing: the name of the pirated thing spelled backwards

and of course divx ;-) shared a name with that hilarious disposable dvd initiative from the age of strife

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
stop pirating microsoft codecs so one can more successfully pirate movies and tv

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

4:1:1 - yes i am still using os 9 to edit video

4:2:0 - ok if you think eating at mcdonalds is ok

4:2:2 - sometimes you throw around words like "pro" and "macro blocks"

4:4:4 - master video race supremacy (aspergers)

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

pagancow posted:

4:1:1 - yes i am still using os 9 to edit video

4:2:0 - ok if you think eating at mcdonalds is ok

4:2:2 - sometimes you throw around words like "pro" and "macro blocks"

4:4:4 - master video race supremacy (aspergers)

uh if you can think of a better way to cram 25 HD channels on a 5mbit pipe id like to hear it

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

ahmeni posted:

If you have a good camera (canon), you can install magic lantern and adjust bitrate and it owns.

excuse me. but you appear to have spelled nikon wrong.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
canon is better than nikon, especially if you're using the camera to shoot video. sorry, that's just a True Fact.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
lol """""""""""amateur photographers""""""""""""""

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
well obviously the best canon camera isn't going to hold a candle to an arri alexa or a red epic, but still...

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
canon is doing loving fantastically with the 6D and the 5Dmk3 but the 7d is being encroached upon like a motherfucker with the new nikons

canon video still loving owns especially with magic lantern because its got a regular autistic and super autistic modes and you can still hand your camera off to normal people to use

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

got dat wmd posted:

lol """""""""""amateur photographers""""""""""""""

my new years resolution this year is to get paid for one photography thing :unsmith:

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

ahmeni posted:

canon video still loving owns especially with magic lantern because its got a regular autistic and super autistic modes and you can still hand your camera off to normal people to use

so you're saying that I should buy this product to jailbreak it.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

ahmeni posted:

my new years resolution this year is to get paid for one photography thing :unsmith:

I will paypal you $5 to never talk about photography in yospos ever again

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

rotor posted:

can i double this for food threads

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

better get a toxx on that

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

rotor posted:

this is why i put you in the ocean

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

rotor posted:

i will still talk about photography, though.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i hate you doc block

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

anyone remember Vivo, the preferred format in 1997?

it had no keyframes, so no searching or skipping when playing your 160x120 fansubbed Ranma 1/2 OVAs.

• Locked thread