Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

screenwritersblues posted:

Heading to the local brewery (do I call it a microbrewery or is that not the correct term) tomorrow for a growler fill for NYE. It should be good. It's called Kane Brewing Company and they're only in NJ right now. They have a few different beers, including the best IPA that I ever had. I'm going to try their Belgian blonde ale tomorrow, I'm curious to see how it's going to be. If you're ever in NJ or live there for that matter, go check it out. It's worth it.

http://www.kanebrewing.com/

They usually do tours and tasting on Fridays and Saturdays.

Carton 077XX for best IPA in NJ, gauntlet thrown. Kane's Single Fin is fantastic though.

Both of them came out of no where for me this year, both have great line-ups. NJ Beer Co and Turtle Stone have yet to produce something worth buying (at least that I've tried).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
Opened 2 of my Westy 12 bottles over the weekend with some friends. Didn't open them until dinner, which was probably a mistake because we'd already had a few beers by then. Anyway, I'd have to say I prefer both Abt 12 and Rochefort 10 over the Westy. I still need to pick up a 4 pack of both to age and compare with the Westy down the road, and I think I'll do the first tasting sooner than I expected, because I want to try it with a fresh palate.

I also opened a bottle of Twisted Pine's Ghost Face Killah and split it with another buddy of mine who likes peppers. It doesn't taste like a beer so much as slightly-hopped chile water, but it does have a really nice burn to it. Nothing compared to an actual ghost pepper, though.

lifts cats over head posted:

Since I'm stuck at work today and would rather discuss beer, what beers do you have in your lineup for tonight? I have a bottle of Ommegang XV Anniversary Ale and a Stone Vertical Epic 12-12-12. I haven't had either yet but I've heard good things from the former and mixed reviews for the latter. I may stop by my local bottle shop after work to peruse any last minute additions; otherwise it will be the Bell's variety pack that is already in my fridge.

Going to open a New Glarus Belgian Red tonight, I think.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

lifts cats over head posted:

Since I'm stuck at work today and would rather discuss beer, what beers do you have in your lineup for tonight? I have a bottle of Ommegang XV Anniversary Ale and a Stone Vertical Epic 12-12-12. I haven't had either yet but I've heard good things from the former and mixed reviews for the latter. I may stop by my local bottle shop after work to peruse any last minute additions; otherwise it will be the Bell's variety pack that is already in my fridge.

I'm surprising my NJ friends with some fun stuff I brought back from CA before we go out for the night - 11-11-11 Vertical Epic aged in red wine barrels, a handful of Russian River bottles (Redemption, Damnation, and Consecration), my second Pliny bottle, and possibly my Black Butte XXIV. Should be a good night!

On a side note, I'm astonished at how fast Delirium Noel has vanished from the shelves at my usual shops - I didn't even get to snag one yet because I was preoccupied with all the West Coast stuff this year!

I also have a bottle of Firestone Walker 16 and Victory Red Thunder - debating sitting on those vs. drinking them nowish. Any opinions? FSW 16 is too expensive to buy more than maybe one additional.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Podima posted:

I also have a bottle of Firestone Walker 16 and Victory Red Thunder - debating sitting on those vs. drinking them nowish. Any opinions? FSW 16 is too expensive to buy more than maybe one additional.

I had Red Thunder and I don't see it really getting better fresh, if anything I would imagine the dry red wine would take over more of the flavor which would be a shame since it's already borderline too forward in my opinion.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

tonight will probably be Firestone Walker XV and Bruery Smoking Wood, maybe stillwater debauched at midnight

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

My NYE beer, decanted lovingly into the winnie the pooh mug:

Also have a Rose de Gambinus to open later.

edit: fixed ludicrously large image.

crazyfish fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 31, 2012

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
I've got a sixer of Blue Point's toasted lager and a sixer of Cigar City's maduro brown, both in cans. Nothing like some good craft beer and a game of Wizard Staff to ring in the new year.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
While making dinner, probably going to pop my '11 Cascade Kriek. I've also pulled out a Dark Intrigue (I've never had) and a '12 BCBS Coffee because I'm old and probably will need the caffeine to make it to midnight.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I'm going to hit Big Star because the tacos and margaritas will make the gf happy and the 3F tap take over will make me accept the crowd. Probably won't have anything special after that though.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

crazyfish posted:

My NYE beer, decanted lovingly into the winnie the pooh mug:

I drank a Cantillon Kriek last night. Is it weird that I was underwhelmed? It was very good, but I don't understand the hype. I don't think it was much better than the many other very good Krieks on the market.

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.
I'll probably split a Rodenbach Grand Cru, Surly Darkness '12, and Surly Six with some friends and whatever they bring.

Rap Songs From Anime
Aug 15, 2007

I saw this in the beer chiller at Whole Foods. It called to me...

$89.99. Plus five cent deposit :v:

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
No Infinium this year?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

akeidolon posted:

Is there some kind of joke here? I dont get it. :(

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Sirotan posted:

Is there some kind of joke here? I dont get it. :(

i believe the joke is on akeidolon, yes?

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

I drank a Cantillon Kriek last night. Is it weird that I was underwhelmed? It was very good, but I don't understand the hype. I don't think it was much better than the many other very good Krieks on the market.

What other very good krieks are on the market?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

A local place told me that something called "Etrusca" was flying off the shelves.

I couldn't not try and pick up something that contains "honey, hazelnut flour, heirloom wheat (wtf?), myrrh, gentian root, raisins, pomegranate juice and pomegranates"

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Apparently, Russian River is pulling out of WA, OR, CO and PA. In other words, every state its in now that isn't California.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

/\/\/\ noooo wtf worst news ever for the new year

Anyway I'm drinking Pennsylvanian beer in Olde City like a real patriot should :colbert:

There are now breweries in places in PA which I never even realized would be able to support a local brewery that wasn't Yuengling.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

With the way that people talk about it, you'd think it was the best beer on the planet. It's very very good, but it has a big name to live up to.

Fou Foune and 2012 Zwanze are the best I've had from them, and both worth the hype.

edit: Source on the Russian River news? I'll be quite bummed if I can't get a Consecration fix when I'm in Seattle in early summer...

crazyfish fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 1, 2013

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

A local place told me that something called "Etrusca" was flying off the shelves.

I couldn't not try and pick up something that contains "honey, hazelnut flour, heirloom wheat (wtf?), myrrh, gentian root, raisins, pomegranate juice and pomegranates"

try a few more experimental DFH beers and you'll likely change your tune

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

What other very good krieks are on the market?

well, he is in Oregon, so...

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Wasn't super happy with Cascades Kriek. Had heard quite a bit about their sours, but this is average. Tart but not enough. And that they qualify it as a "northwest style sour" may explain the lack of barnyard on it. Tastes like a lesser NG Wisconsin Belgian Red. Moving onto the BCBS coffee now. Long night ahead...

RE: Cantillon. When a brewery (or a beer) is that hyped, it's hard to live up to it. I've only had a few of their beers. Fou Foune is world class. Their gueuze is excellent, but I prefer DF's.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

crazyfish posted:

With the way that people talk about it, you'd think it was the best beer on the planet. It's very very good, but it has a big name to live up to.

Fou Foune and 2012 Zwanze are the best I've had from them, and both worth the hype.

edit: Source on the Russian River news? I'll be quite bummed if I can't get a Consecration fix when I'm in Seattle in early summer...

This is just what all the distributors in those states are telling people, so who knows.

Also:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Angry Grimace posted:

This is just what all the distributors in those states are telling people, so who knows.

Also:

Distributors in PA are not telling people that.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

funkybottoms posted:

try a few more experimental DFH beers and you'll likely change your tune

well, he is in Oregon, so...

I haven't had many dogfish head beers. I kind of like this one though. I also like Moxie.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
People not in California clearly have something wrong with them and don't deserve good beer anyway.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Phanatic posted:

Distributors in PA are not telling people that.

Don't shoot the messenger! That's just what people were telling me (about all the states) and someone then posted the letter pertaining to Washington state.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 1, 2013

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

akeidolon posted:

Have a list of deserving soup kitchens printed up so you know where to deliver the 85% of the bottle you don't finish when you (and I assume the rest of your party?) realize it's quite a trash fire of a beer.

But hey, happy new years!

Either gonna close out my Alpine growlers tonight or go big & boozy with an Abyss '10. Can't lose either direction.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

withak posted:

People not in California clearly have something wrong with them and don't deserve good beer anyway.

I think you misspelled Oregon there :mad:

Anyway, my New year plans are shot because both Monk's Cafe and The Farmers' Cabinet are reservation only tonight. So we're just drinking randomly around town. I must say, running into a random hotel bar and getting 90 minute on tap is gratifying...

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Happy New Year! Apparently the new SA thread format broke the Android app! This will make it harder to drunkenly post!

Moving on to the Dark Intrigue.

Rap Songs From Anime
Aug 15, 2007

wattershed posted:

Have a list of deserving soup kitchens printed up so you know where to deliver the 85% of the bottle you don't finish when you (and I assume the rest of your party?) realize it's quite a trash fire of a beer.

But hey, happy new years!

Either gonna close out my Alpine growlers tonight or go big & boozy with an Abyss '10. Can't lose either direction.

Welp... Given the reaction in thread I'm guessing I made a grave miscalculation despite reviews suggesting otherwise. I'll make sure to post a trip report I guess.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

akeidolon posted:

Welp... Given the reaction in thread I'm guessing I made a grave miscalculation despite reviews suggesting otherwise. I'll make sure to post a trip report I guess.

Hey, just don't drop it on the concrete floor of your garage like I did to a beer a little while ago. A bottle of Narwhal, and it popped open juuuust barely. I let it calm down a few minutes, and it's now my midnight beer.

It's better than it was a few months ago, so we are all on the right track aging it. Around St. Patrick's Day it should be a gem.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003
Central Waters 1414 as my first beer of 2013. :woop:

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l
Cracked a Jester King Black Metal and while it isn't the greatest RIS I've ever had, I'm quite fond of it.

Tried a Fantome Hiver earlier and was completely underwhelmed - unlike the other Fantomes I've had, it was basically a West Coast IPA with less viscosity and more head.

Very happy to have the Black Metal to ring in the New Year!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Trying out a Paulaner Oktoberfest Marzen.

It's not the worst I've ever had. In fact, it's the first beer I've had in awhile that didn't almost make me gag upon the first sip.

Probably worth another buy in the future, and happy to have something not disgusting to celebrate the New Year with.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

akeidolon posted:

well, that's a lot of drat money for something that isn't a confirmed liquid miracle, much less a beer that didn't get any love ITT. as was stated, maybe a little extra time will help it out a bit, and if nothing else... padlock!

Protocol7 posted:

It's not the worst I've ever had. In fact, it's the first beer I've had in awhile that didn't almost make me gag upon the first sip.

Probably worth another buy in the future, and happy to have something not disgusting to celebrate the New Year with.

maybe drink something other than beer? or is this a roundabout way of asking for suggestions?

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Angry Grimace posted:

Apparently, Russian River is pulling out of WA, OR, CO and PA. In other words, every state its in now that isn't California.

This doesn't bode well for PTY in Feb/March....

Protocol7 posted:

Thanks for stopping in to the beer thread to tell us how gross beer is.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

cryme posted:

This doesn't bode well for PTY in Feb/March....

Thanks for stopping in to the beer thread to tell us how gross beer is.

The only state that's confirmed is Washington. The rumor that I heard was every state, but there's nothing to confirm that.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
Just cracked a 2011 and 2012 Duck Rabbit Baltic Porter side by side. Unfortunately, not much to compare because the '11 is definitely infected. However, it's turned into a not terrible sour porter. Has a bit of a sour cherry taste, which doesn't mesh too well with the base beer but doesn't make it disgusting. The sourness turns the roasty malts into an ashy taste for me, which is an issue I've also experienced with JP's Obscura.

The '12 is very fresh with big, roasty coffee flavors along with some dark fruit notes. I really hope they've cleared out their infection issues because I'd like to save a couple of these for next year and not have them turn into sours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Retemnav posted:

Unfortunately, not much to compare because the '11 is definitely infected.
You don't say? Seriously, I can't bring myself to buy their beer anymore after managing to score so many infected bottles over different batches.

In recent news, bought the last Black Ops in Beer Run (what a store!) that was obviously hidden behind several other bottles. Popped it the very same night in place of the ceremonial champagne. Happy New Years, Charlottesville. :smug:

To be honest, though, I didn't feel like it was worth the price of admission. Cool bottle that I'll certainly keep but talk about overhyped. Ended up enjoying the North Coast Grand Cru quite a bit more. And on a previous night I found a 2 year old bottle of Sublimely Self Righteous ale that blew me the gently caress away. Didn't expect a black IPA to age that well, but hot drat that was a lot more delicious than fresh.

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 2, 2013