Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I liked sandman in high school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Cold on a Cob posted:

i tried to read transmetropolitan and it was pretty terrible, sorry

yeah it sucks and I wish people would never recommend it

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
poo poo trap sprung

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
spider "warren ellsi" jerusalem

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Stymie posted:

the reboot of prophet was pretty crazy and i like it quite a bit

Image is coming out with a whole shitload of good stuff these days. "Saga", "The Manhattan Projects", "Orc Stain", etc. "Witch Doctor" isn't technically as good but it's fun and stupid, and the Luther Strode books are gory post-superhero stuff, sort of like "Invincible" without the friendly, upbeat stories. "Chew" is pretty well-written but I hate the art so I'm giving it a pass.

I'm not sure what happened at Image but I hope they keep it up.

Other good recent comics to check out: the Casanova Quinn books by Matt Fraction and Gabriel Bá, the ongoing graphic adaptations of Richard Stark's "Parker" books by Darwyn Cooke, "Asterios Polyp" by David Mazzucchelli, and (surprisingly since it looks like animu-knockoff crap) "I Kill Giants" by Kelly and Nimura.

It is completely safe to ignore anything by DC or Marvel these days. You will miss out on absolutely nothing.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

image has been great in general recently with the exception of liefield works

also spawn because spawn has never been good

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

eightpole posted:

spider "warren ellsi" jerusalem

Warren Ellis might be good if he was capable of writing more than exactly one character.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

gooby on rails posted:

I liked sandman in high school

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

all american comics are poo poo hth

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
the only comic I've ever read was watchmen and i enjoyed it a lot welp that's my comic story I guess

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
ive never read comics

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Heresiarch posted:

Other good recent comics to check out: the Casanova Quinn books by Matt Fraction and Gabriel Bá, the ongoing graphic adaptations of Richard Stark's "Parker" books by Darwyn Cooke, "Asterios Polyp" by David Mazzucchelli, and (surprisingly since it looks like animu-knockoff crap) "I Kill Giants" by Kelly and Nimura.

It is completely safe to ignore anything by DC or Marvel these days. You will miss out on absolutely nothing.

seconding Asterios Polyp

i'm about to rip into that thickass Habibi hardcover; that should be good

The Boys just finished too if you want to see superheroes injure prostitutes with their penises and get their arms ripped out of their sockets and whatnot

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Prophet is pretty good, it's weird science fiction that makes clever use of Liefeld's old characters. There's a collected version already too.

The only thing I've liked recently from Marvel or DC is Dial H by China Mieville. DC has actually been smart enough not to get it bogged down in stupid crossovers, but they'll probably find some way to ruin it.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
CD is such a tiresome forum. someone says they found the goblin king really silly and over the top and the regulars say "uh, didn't you watch teh beginning of the film? bilbo is exaggerating the story as he tells it, you aren't meant to take that literally!"

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Uk kindle-havers; bunch of Vonnegut books on for 99p a throw for 24h:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html/ref=kdd_page_title?ie=UTF8&docId=1000630703

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Uk kindle-havers; bunch of Vonnegut books on for 99p a throw for 24h:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html/ref=kdd_page_title?ie=UTF8&docId=1000630703

what if i found them in .txt on a newsgroups? would you hold my bad grammar against me, or fault a poor man for not paying a dead man?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Amethyst posted:

CD is such a tiresome forum. someone says they found the goblin king really silly and over the top and the regulars say "uh, didn't you watch teh beginning of the film? bilbo is exaggerating the story as he tells it, you aren't meant to take that literally!"
gog danm

Guido van Possum
Apr 7, 2012

by T. Finninho

Metal Pink Babble posted:

what if i found them in .txt on a newsgroups? would you hold my bad grammar against me, or fault a poor man for not paying a dead man?

what would kurt say?

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

there sure are a lot of people openly admitting to reading comics itt

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Socracheese posted:

there sure are a lot of people openly admitting to reading comics itt

um, i read graphic novels, thankyouverymuch

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Guido van Possum posted:

what would kurdt say?

"come as you are"

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Stymie posted:

um, i read graphic novels, thankyouverymuch

i love gto and akira. i found the animes to be inferior, yet they served as gateways to the real deal, and the mangas taught me to imagine.

i, uuhhh, really love your old av. i know it is sinful, but even odin hoarded the true key to 2d reality amidst a blinding frozen tundra. and unlike stationery, animated gifs transcend stasis by granting time and motion to a still image. true purgatory is an affliction of unending stillness. frozen in time, how does one perceive true depth? what is love without a gripping story? how do mortals shatter that glass ceiling without first finding a golden ticket, and who is willy wonka?

progressive frames mark the procession of time, and yet peripheral vision means nothing without movement.

some women are ice queens until one offers them the "chocolate" item from their inventory menu.

only mammals can survive the cold of winter, and blue cats are an unconventional yet nonetheless acceptable spoiler alert that radiation is ahead.

i want you to reconsider how lame your new av is in comparison to catboobs.gif. it is because i care.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

i love gto and akira. i found the animes to be inferior, yet they served as gateways to the real deal, and the mangas taught me to imagine.

i, uuhhh, really love your old av. i know it is sinful, but even odin hoarded the true key to 2d reality amidst a blinding frozen tundra. and unlike stationery, animated gifs transcend stasis by granting time and motion to a still image. true purgatory is an affliction of unending stillness. frozen in time, how does one perceive true depth? what is love without a gripping story? how do mortals shatter that glass ceiling without first finding a golden ticket, and who is willy wonka?

progressive frames mark the procession of time, and yet peripheral vision means nothing without movement.

some women are ice queens until one offers them the "chocolate" item from their inventory menu.

only mammals can survive the cold of winter, and blue cats are an unconventional yet nonetheless acceptable spoiler alert that radiation is ahead.

i want you to reconsider how lame your new av is in comparison to catboobs.gif. it is because i care.

please don't talk about Our Lord And Savior Odin again. reported.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
paranoia is cool, but stymie posts just aren't the same without the anime dog tits

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
stymie won't ever get unstygmatized [sic] unless he/she/it gets a name change along with an even newer avatar.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Dead Man Posting posted:

stymie won't ever get unstygmatized [sic] unless he/she/it gets a name change along with an even newer avatar.

i don't think a new name is gonna fix the posting

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Dead Man Posting posted:

nope because within a day someone would check who this "new" terrible poster is and see its dogtits

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Can-O-Raid posted:

i don't think a new name is gonna fix the posting

can't fix what ain't broken

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

read as much as you can reading owns

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

dear yospos, is Falling Skies a good show? thanks and god bless :shobon:

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

THC posted:

dear yospos, is Falling Skies a good show? thanks and god bless :shobon:

dear THC, it's a TNT family drama about aliens that's set in Boston but filmed in Canada
that's like 6 red flags right there

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
for the first season they couldn't even afford to film in Vancouver
instead they had to use Hamilton, Ontario

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

wikipedia posted:

Plot summary

Alice from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (now grey-haired, and called "Lady Fairchild"), Dorothy from The Wizard of Oz (now in her 20s) and Wendy from Peter Pan (now in her 30s, and married to a man in his 50s named Harold Potter) are visiting the expensive mountain resort "Hotel Himmelgarten" in Austria on the eve of World War I (1913–1914). The women meet by chance and begin to exchange erotic stories from their pasts. The stories are based on the childhood fantasy worlds of the three women:

wikipedia posted:

and Wendy from Peter Pan (now in her 30s, and married to a man in his 50s named Harold Potter)

wikipedia posted:

Harold Potter

you're a wizard background character in a pedo comic book, harry

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
that sounds like a bad parody of league of extraordinary gentlemen except he wrote that too

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

oh. lame.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

gooby on rails posted:

league of extraordinary genitals

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
Alright so I finished Robert Charles Wilson's "Spin"; it was cool. Mainly I just checked it out because the author lives like three blocks away from me. But it's got some interesting ideas on the way that life forms might colonize the universe.

Now I'm reading "The Long Earth" by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter. I like it so far; I was a bit skeptical of a collaboration between those two writers but it seems to be working pretty well. I got like three pages in and already there's a character that is literally a sentient vending machine so lol.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Spin was excellent

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
I guess he wrote a couple of sequels to it too. I should grab those the next time I'm at the library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regularizer
Mar 5, 2012

Finally decided to man up and read The Book of the New Sun series/compilation/whatever and it's so dope. I like how personal it feels, with one narrator telling his own story with a ton of details in a great style. The setting is also super cool but very nerdy, with a medieval society that still hasn't lost all of the advanced technology of previous ages. Definitely not what I was expecting. Is The Book of the Long Sun worth it?

e:

ol qwerty bastard posted:

Alright so I finished Robert Charles Wilson's "Spin"; it was cool. Mainly I just checked it out because the author lives like three blocks away from me. But it's got some interesting ideas on the way that life forms might colonize the universe.

Now I'm reading "The Long Earth" by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter. I like it so far; I was a bit skeptical of a collaboration between those two writers but it seems to be working pretty well. I got like three pages in and already there's a character that is literally a sentient vending machine so lol.

I haven't been able to read anything by Pratchett since I gave up on Unseen Academicals halfway through, the Alzheimer's is just getting more and more obvious and it's really sad

• Locked thread