Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
The second, thanks. I was on my phone and the only thing thing I found was alibaba, but I would've had to order at least 100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Why is there an asterisk next to Sports Argument Stadium?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

hooah posted:

Is there anything that will allow me to scan in or download CD liner notes and keep them organized? I'm kind of a nerd for them and just rescued all of mine from my parent's attic, and would like to have them all in digital format.

You mean like text file format, or image format? You could just photograph or scan them and keep them in a folder on your computer. There's free online ocr if you want it as text files.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Wedemeyer posted:

You mean like text file format, or image format? You could just photograph or scan them and keep them in a folder on your computer. There's free online ocr if you want it as text files.

Well, yeah. I was just wondering if there's something that would act as a database or something - I dunno, just fancier than a folder, I guess.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

Well, yeah. I was just wondering if there's something that would act as a database or something - I dunno, just fancier than a folder, I guess.

There's probably a plug-in for Foobar2000 but it can be a bitch to configure.

I use MediaMonkey which has support for multiple pieces of album art but I don't know how easy that is to set up either.

Presumably you mean being able to read the liner notes while listening to the music or you could just use picasa or whatever.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Internet Meme posted:

Why is there an asterisk next to Sports Argument Stadium?

It's a joke about how people want to put an asterisk next to records when they get broken if some circumstances were different. The most significant was when Barry Bonds broke the record for homeruns in a season and some people wanted to put an asterisk next to it because he wasn't white he played more games in a season than the previous record holder. And later because he was on steroids.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Eggplant Wizard posted:

"Be demarcated" and "demarcated" do not mean the same thing. the former is a passive and the latter an active. Neither is a finite phrase in this case. "Will be demarcated" is really the full finite verb phrase, so the "will" is retained in the second half,

I know that "will be demarcated" is the finite phrase, and that will is the critical piece. My question was whether you could copy over "will be" into the other clause.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

kimbo305 posted:

I know that "will be demarcated" is the finite phrase, and that will is the critical piece. My question was whether you could copy over "will be" into the other clause.

Oh, sorry, I didn't quite get that. I think you could, but personally it looks a bit superfluous to me.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a good way to catch up on the backlog of something that has an RSS feed? I can't drop it into my normal reader because I often use the "mark all read" button, and that would blast out all the old but still unread articles.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

This is really stupid, but I can't think of a way to google it :

I've lived most of my life on the East Coast, so everyone I know has always watched the ball drop in Time Square : do people in other parts of the US do that too? Is there another ball drop in LA that left-coasters watch or something? I can't imagine people in, say, Seattle watching the Time Square ball and going, "Hurray! Happy... It's 9 o'clock still, see you in three hours!"

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

I've lived most of my life on the East Coast, so everyone I know has always watched the ball drop in Time Square : do people in other parts of the US do that too? Is there another ball drop in LA that left-coasters watch or something? I can't imagine people in, say, Seattle watching the Time Square ball and going, "Hurray! Happy... It's 9 o'clock still, see you in three hours!"

They re-air it three hours later, and yes plenty of people watch Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve. Come on now, don't be ridiculous.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Xiahou Dun posted:

I went to the ball drop in Portland Oregon in 2002 and while the journey by train and foot to get to Pioneer square was a blast (slammed a cheap pitcher of PBR, kissed a cute girl who gestured at me through a window, met a crazy dude with a signboard proclaiming the end of the world who did not give a gently caress that it was 2002 not 2001 or 2000 or w/e) the actual event was overpoliced, had to go through checkpoints, and very underwhelming.

And yes, we watch yours on time delay as well.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Xiahou Dun posted:

This reminds me. In America, TV is on at the same time everywhere, right, so a show that starts at 19:00 in one place will start at 18:00 further west. Why? Doesn't that mess with scheduling? Like, having the after school block start before school finishes or overlap with the prime time block or whatever? Or is it just some shows that are like that and most stuff is delayed so it shows at 19:00 everywhere?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Most if not all non-live programming is delayed on the west coast vesus the east. It means you can't really follow TVIV threads as a show airs since they all saw it 3 hours ago.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
What on earth does this mean?
FPO, AE 09372

It's a military address for someone I sold something to on Amazon.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tiggum posted:

This reminds me. In America, TV is on at the same time everywhere, right, so a show that starts at 19:00 in one place will start at 18:00 further west. Why?

Because most networks can only afford two satellite slots so you get one East Coast and one West Coast feed. Turns out, nearly half the population of the entire US lives in the Eastern Time Zone so that's fine, another 29% live in the Central Time Zone and the hour difference doesn't matter.

Then the Mountain Time Zone only covers 6% so who cares about them. And the Pacific Time Zone has its own schedules usually because it's fairly large and also 3 hours delayed.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

FPO, AE 09372

FPO means a military post office and AE 093xx means routed through Europe and I think indicates that they're on deployment. 09372 is a zip code and it's a zip code that's solely for military use.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 2, 2013

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Eggplant Wizard posted:

FPO, AE 09372

Install Gentoo explained it. Military addresses can be a bit of a pain in the rear end to fit into forms but if you just cram it all on there in the right order the postal guys will figure it out.

For example:
code:
LN1 John Doe
FAKECOM SJA
US NAVSTA Desert Island
FPO AE 
Sends your package to Legalman 1st Class John Doe at Fake Command, Staff Judge Advocate Office, US Naval Station Desert Island, Fleet Post Office, Armed Forces Europe (Which includes Africa, the ME and parts of the Americas), ZIP Code 09372.

If there's no street address or building number listed don't worry about it.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

OK, so you know those games (of a sort) that some tourist spots and places like children's museums and such will run where the kids get a card and have to go from station to station and get stamps to fill out the card? Sort of like orienteering for babies? What on Earth are those things called? Is there even a name for them?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The closest term I can think of is 'Scavenger Hunt,' but there's probably a more precise word for it out there. Letterboxing?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

TetsuoTW posted:

OK, so you know those games (of a sort) that some tourist spots and places like children's museums and such will run where the kids get a card and have to go from station to station and get stamps to fill out the card? Sort of like orienteering for babies? What on Earth are those things called? Is there even a name for them?

Stamp rally. They're really popular in Japan.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

tarepanda posted:

Stamp rally. They're really popular in Japan.
You beauty. The Japan thing makes it even more likely to be the right answer, since I was trying to find out with regard to an activity at a Taiwanese school, and Taiwan's school system shares a huge amount with Japan's (largely since when Taiwan's modern school system was born, it was part of Japan anyway).

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!
I've got a somewhat embaressing fear - a fear of really tall buildings.

It's going to be a problem within the next few months, as I'll likely (I hope, anyway) have a job in the CBD of Brisbane. Practically all of the mid tier/big 4 accounting firms are located there. This area has a lot of incredibly tall buildings for the area - easily 25 stories plus.

It's not as though it prevents me from going there in the first place. Usually, I'll be walking through, or going on my evening job. But then the realization hits me - "Oh god, there are MASSIVE buildings around me". I'll become very aware of this fact, and feel compelled to look straight up. The sheer size and volume of these things usually get me; a feeling of "Somethings going to drop from the top of the building - better look up to avoid it!". I'll then quickly move away from the area.

How should I tackle this? Should I expose myself gradually to more tall buildings?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

I've got a somewhat embaressing fear - a fear of really tall buildings.

It's going to be a problem within the next few months, as I'll likely (I hope, anyway) have a job in the CBD of Brisbane. Practically all of the mid tier/big 4 accounting firms are located there. This area has a lot of incredibly tall buildings for the area - easily 25 stories plus.

It's not as though it prevents me from going there in the first place. Usually, I'll be walking through, or going on my evening job. But then the realization hits me - "Oh god, there are MASSIVE buildings around me". I'll become very aware of this fact, and feel compelled to look straight up. The sheer size and volume of these things usually get me; a feeling of "Somethings going to drop from the top of the building - better look up to avoid it!". I'll then quickly move away from the area.

How should I tackle this? Should I expose myself gradually to more tall buildings?

You should find a therapist to work with, someone who is used to working on anxiety and maybe phobias. Even one or two sessions would give you a chance to talk it out and get an idea of what mental tools you'll need to build up in order to deal with it. Longer would be better so s/he can help you gradually work on it, possibly including controlled exposure. Having a professional to work it out with will make it less scary and more likely to succeed than trying it on your own.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
I'm an idiot who spilled wine on a dress that I really like. I got home, slapped some OxyClean on it, and let it hang out for a while (about 36 hours, which is, in retrospect, also stupid). The dress is bright red and 100% cotton, kind of a heavy-duty almost canvas-feeling fabric with no stretch. The top is lined with a lighter-weight cotton as well. I have no idea what the stain was, and it doesn't matter, because the stain came out--but the OxyClean did TOO much of a good job and left its own little light patch right on the top and skirt where the stains were. I now have larger, lighter, messier stains than I did previously. I've only worn the drat thing twice and I (clearly) should have taken it to a dry cleaner, but I figured, "It's cotton! It'll be fine!" Would a dry cleaner even be capable of fixing this? Am I just completely hosed, or is there some way to fix this mess?

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!
Cheers, thanks man.

I've worked with therapists before when it comes to social anxiety ages ago, so this would be a good idea. Funny thing, though - there's tall buildings at my uni, yet I don't get scared of them. They're only 15 stories tall at most.

Also, one of the new buildings, the Ernst and Young sky scraper, has a peculiar detail. These thick, white tubes which run down the side of the building to the ground floor. At night, they light up - it does look quite spectacular from afar.

Reminds me of spider webs, hence thinking about the size of the spiders that spun it.

:gonk:

Convicted Bibliophile
Dec 2, 2004

I am the night.
Before Christmas I wrote a Facebook status update (only visible to 4 people that I work with) asking if they had been paid yet because I hadn't. We didn't mention salaries or how much was owed or who we work for, although some of us list our employers on Facebook (I don't).

Back at work this morning, we got a companywide email that contained:

quote:

We would therefore ask, effective immediately, that you do not mention or use the company’s name or logo on any private Facebook status’, Twitter mentions or any other social platforms, this includes any direct or indirect references to the organisation as some of you may have added [COMPANY NAME] as your employer on your profiles. Unless expressly used to for corporate branding, such as the company’s LinkedIn and Facebook accounts used for recruitment purposes, any references would be considered a breach of the company’s confidentiality policy.

In light of this incident we will be reviewing the confidentiality clause of the handbook so it incorporates social media etiquette and will communicate the updated version to you all by email.

Can my empoyer stop us from talking about them on social media? 'Indirect references' covers pretty much anything. Saying 'I had a poo poo day at work today' indirectly references who I work for, for example.

I'm not going to fight the decision as I'm not desperate to talk about who I work for on Facebook, but can they actually enforce this legally? I'm in the UK if that makes a difference.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Catman Begins posted:

Before Christmas I wrote a Facebook status update (only visible to 4 people that I work with) asking if they had been paid yet because I hadn't. We didn't mention salaries or how much was owed or who we work for, although some of us list our employers on Facebook (I don't).

Back at work this morning, we got a companywide email that contained:

Can my empoyer stop us from talking about them on social media? 'Indirect references' covers pretty much anything. Saying 'I had a poo poo day at work today' indirectly references who I work for, for example.

I'm not going to fight the decision as I'm not desperate to talk about who I work for on Facebook, but can they actually enforce this legally? I'm in the UK if that makes a difference.

Absolutely they can. They can, and should, request that unless you are otherwise directed by a manager or supervisor, you do not associate yourself as a representative of that company using social media.

You can probably say "I had a lovely day at work today". You cannot say "I had a lovely day working for the slave drivers at ABC company because that bitch Brenda in accounting ate the last jelly donut." Do keep in mind that Facebook is a public forum and anything you say or do there could come back and bite you in the rear end. To put it another way, I wouldn't post anything to facebook that I wouldn't want my boss to see.

They can't control what you post on the internet, but they can say what you posted violates the rules that have been outlined in the handbook and you are terminated for this violation. Again, read your handbook after the updates come through. If it sounds like complaining about your job might get you fired, don't post it.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
On QI, they said coffee was not a stimulant, and any effects of that nature are actually due to it satisfying an addiction, getting rid of tiredness caused by withdrawal symptoms.

Googling this has gotten me nothing. I'm very confused and would like details. Should I still be drinking coffee in the morning and before the gym, or should I cut it out for long-term alertness? :ohdear:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

VagueRant posted:

On QI, they said coffee was not a stimulant, and any effects of that nature are actually due to it satisfying an addiction, getting rid of tiredness caused by withdrawal symptoms.

You're misinterpreting what they said. Coffee (i.e. caffeine) is a stimulant. It increases your heart rate, keeps you up, etc. It's also highly addictive. When people wake up in the morning and feel like poo poo, they often drink coffee to not feel like poo poo. It's this response to the caffeine that is indicative of satisfying addiction.

People who are not dependent on caffeine will still feel its effects, but they can handle way better without it than a regular coffee drinker. If you don't drink caffeine on a regular basis you will likely feel more alert than someone that is dependent on it and hasn't had any.

Inpossible
Oct 9, 2012

How should I write this sentence: "It's as close as getting eaten by monsters or aliens as you can get."?

English isn't my first language and I have a habit of using some words to much, like "as" in that sentence.
Atleast I think it looks weird.

Inpossible fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 2, 2013

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Inpossible posted:

How should I write this sentence: "It's as close as getting eaten by monsters or aliens as you can get."?

English isn't my first language and I have a habit of using some words to much, like "as" in that sentence.

Change one word and it's fine: "It's as close to getting eaten by monsters or aliens as you can get."

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Inpossible posted:

"It's as close to getting eaten by monsters or aliens as you can get." would be okay (as in, a native speaker who isn't the best writer might write it), but the sentence is still hard to parse.

Maybe "It's as close to getting eaten by monsters as you can get." or "It's the next best thing to getting eaten by a monster!" would sound better depending on context/your intended meaning. I am not a writer.

Inpossible
Oct 9, 2012

helopticor posted:

"It's as close to getting eaten by monsters as you can get."

This is perfect, thank you. :)

Posted that in the unnerving thread in PYF.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
My 2nd in a row otterbox commuter case (hard plastic outside, rubber inside, opposite of the more popular otterbox defender) has developed a crack under the power button, gets stressed from pushing there.

I know otterbox will replace for free, already done that once, but I'm only going to have this phone for a month or 2 more and a replacement will take a month to get here.

Anything I can put on it molten plastic or some special glue that will hold it good and stand up to the button press stress? I tried superglue on the old one and it was like I might as well have used vaseline as well as it held up after one button press.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

Nicol Bolas posted:

I'm an idiot who spilled wine on a dress that I really like. I got home, slapped some OxyClean on it, and let it hang out for a while (about 36 hours, which is, in retrospect, also stupid). The dress is bright red and 100% cotton, kind of a heavy-duty almost canvas-feeling fabric with no stretch. The top is lined with a lighter-weight cotton as well. I have no idea what the stain was, and it doesn't matter, because the stain came out--but the OxyClean did TOO much of a good job and left its own little light patch right on the top and skirt where the stains were. I now have larger, lighter, messier stains than I did previously. I've only worn the drat thing twice and I (clearly) should have taken it to a dry cleaner, but I figured, "It's cotton! It'll be fine!" Would a dry cleaner even be capable of fixing this? Am I just completely hosed, or is there some way to fix this mess?

You definitely left the oxyclean on too long. Sometimes oxyclean does leave a yellowish hue on whites, and people do use a variety of vinegar, baking soda, or denture tablet remedies to take care of them. But from your description of bleached spots, the fabric is most likely too damaged to fix. They may just end up telling you that the dress can't be fixed, but I would take it to the cleaners before trying any home remedies.

Wotan
Aug 15, 2009

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Wagonburner posted:

My 2nd in a row otterbox commuter case (hard plastic outside, rubber inside, opposite of the more popular otterbox defender) has developed a crack under the power button, gets stressed from pushing there.

I know otterbox will replace for free, already done that once, but I'm only going to have this phone for a month or 2 more and a replacement will take a month to get here.

Anything I can put on it molten plastic or some special glue that will hold it good and stand up to the button press stress? I tried superglue on the old one and it was like I might as well have used vaseline as well as it held up after one button press.

JB weld might do it. Any hardware store, or even Walmart should have it.

http://www.jbweld.com/product/j-b-plasticweld-putty/

e: I guess that's going to be off-white when it cures, so you might not like that.

Wotan fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 3, 2013

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Wotan posted:

JB weld might do it. Any hardware store, or even Walmart should have it.

http://www.jbweld.com/product/j-b-plasticweld-putty/

e: I guess that's going to be off-white when it cures, so you might not like that.

If it'll hold I'll not care about a discoloration too much as long as I can put it mostly inside the case, and like I said not keeping this phone but for a month or two more anyway. And I've got a spare broken case I can try on 1st.

Got some JB weld already, I fixed an exhaust leak with it. Actually worked, surprised me, that was years ago, maybe I ought to check that again.

edit: just noticed you linked something different. I may see of the store has it, ought to come in handy in the future and not just for this broken phone case.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 3, 2013

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
There's a JB Weld that's specifically for bonding plastics. It's called Plasti-Weld or something like that. I've had mixed results, if the plastic is really smooth it won't bond well and will just dry and fall off. But it might be worth a try.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How do I redeem a game code on Steam? I have been looking for 20 minutes and the directions on the Steam site look like they are from an old version or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

NESguerilla posted:

How do I redeem a game code on Steam? I have been looking for 20 minutes and the directions on the Steam site look like they are from an old version or something.

In the Games menu click Activate a product on steam.